Well I totally read that wrong, my apologies lol.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    10-29-11 10:35 PM
    RIM management is the blame for the lack of promotions but if the carriers don't support or promote Blackberry phones it has a major impact on RIM. My carrier does not support or promote BB phones and we use BB for our business and I've gone in the store to replace a phone and they would not have any in stock and we would have to wait days for them to get it in. My carrier does not carry the new phones, they are normally about 1 year behind on stocking new releases. This type of carrier support is the reason a lot of people don't know about the new BB phones. The carriers did the same thing to Nokia. I think they do this because BB phones are better quality and last a long time and the carriers don't get an opportunity to sell a new phone every 6 months. All the carriers have bought into the Android mania, cheap phones, cheap apps, poor quality = more sales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    nathan3d and up488 like this.
    10-30-11 05:56 AM
    Great Post OP
    And am getting my 9900 next week, am very excited

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    8230 likes this.
    10-30-11 09:24 AM
    This event probably has a lot more to do with the dynamics between the person displaying the device, and the one viewing. so,,, I tip my hat to you JR.
    JR A likes this.
    10-30-11 10:58 AM
    This event probably has a lot more to do with the dynamics between the person displaying the device, and the one viewing. so,,, I tip my hat to you JR.

You gotta sell the sizzle, not the steak
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    10-30-11 12:58 PM
    ... is the response I got from both my sister and sister's friend when I pulled my 9930 out of my holster when it rang. I guess they saw the BB branding.

But, to say the least, they were impressed. My sister's friend said, "It's a BlackBerry? It looks so sexy..."

Then I let both of them type on the keyboard, and when I tapped the screen to launch an app, they both said, "OMG I want one!" The keyboard + touchscreen really took them by surprise.

And once I launched the Wikitude app and started a BBM conversation with some random person I found on Wikitude (with the camera scanning feature), they went bananas. They couldn't put it down.

They wrere REALLY impressed with everything, especially the look and feel of the Bold. Keep in mind these are two college-aged girls. One has an iPhone, the other a leading Android device.

The somewhat sad part is that they were oblivious to the fact that this was BB's latest phone. They asked when did this phone come out, I said "about three months or so", and they never even heard a drop in the pond about it. I then told them it's one of three new BB phones this year (Curve, Bold, Torch), and they responded, "There's THREE new ones?!"

So, what have you done to spread the BB goodness?
    I too have gotten the wow factor when I pull out my BB, there's only one other time when I get those wows, but that's another story.

But seriously, what does this tell us? That RIM is not doing a good enough job of promoting this device. They seriously need to spend more of their cash on good marketing and get themselves noticed. I love phones (all kinds) and when I saw this phone not only did I fall in love with it's looks the OS so is just beautiful, functional and uber fast for being a single core processor I think it is simply amazing.
    JR A likes this.
    10-30-11 01:11 PM
    I too have gotten the wow factor when I pull out my BB, there's only one other time when I get those wows, but that's another story.

But seriously, what does this tell us? That RIM is not doing a good enough job of promoting this device. They seriously need to spend more of their cash on good marketing and get themselves noticed. I love phones (all kinds) and when I saw this phone not only did I fall in love with it's looks the OS so is just beautiful, functional and uber fast for being a single core processor I think it is simply amazing.

HA! good one!

I too was amazed at the responsiveness considering it's a single core processor, then again it is clocked at 1.2ghz, but still, great stuff.
    10-30-11 01:23 PM
    Their responses prove that RIM needs to learn how to market their devices...
    No kidding, if I didn't frequent CrackBerry and other tech sites I'm not sure that I'd know the BB7 devices even existed. It's a shame really.
    avt123 likes this.
    10-30-11 07:31 PM
    Yeah, I would've never known about em.

Then again, that goes for Android phones too. I don't watch TV so I don't really know about tech stuff unless I see it online. However, I know about when all the Apple stuff releases since someone around the office always seems to know.
    10-31-11 01:24 AM
    Yeah, I would've never known about em.

Then again, that goes for Android phones too. I don't watch TV so I don't really know about tech stuff unless I see it online. However, I know about when all the Apple stuff releases since someone around the office always seems to know.
    I think Android propagates by proliferation. There's dozens of them on every carrier for varying prices. My wife currently carries a $20 (albeit subsidized) handset that is quite functional.

RIM doesn't seem to look to create mindshare anymore. That wasn't always the case; Back in the day, the Curve, Pearl and Bold did make their mark in the eye of the consumer.

Apple? Well, it's first name should be "Mindshare."
    10-31-11 01:34 AM
    RIM can market all they (or we) want, but without solid support at the carrier's sales level nothing will change.

I looked at the 9900 on release day at a T-Mobile retail outlet. The rep did everything she could to convince me that Android would be far better than BlackBerry. If you check around the forums, you'll see that was far from an isolated incident. Carriers are pushing Android handsets a lot harder than BlackBerry. Period.

Just my two pennies.
    10-31-11 02:06 AM
    RIM can market all they (or we) want, but without solid support at the carrier's sales level nothing will change.

I looked at the 9900 on release day at a T-Mobile retail outlet. The rep did everything she could to convince me that Android would be far better than BlackBerry. If you check around the forums, you'll see that was far from an isolated incident. Carriers are pushing Android handsets a lot harder than BlackBerry. Period.

Just my two pennies.
    If I walked into a Carrier Store and the sells person told my that an Android or iPhone would be better than a BlackBerry i'd probably slap that person in the face and go somewhere else... One reason is because I think it's illegal to do that here but mostly because I hate when people tell me what I want! If I wanted an Android or iPhone i'd be looking at them and not BlackBerries... So I think it's very rude to do what she did.

Just my two pennies.

I do think BlackBerry needs to get a lot better at marketing their products, I don't think i've ever seen an add on TV or in a magazine... but like Wu-Wei said, the carriers also need to be able to support the phones.
    belfastdispatcher and JR A like this.
    10-31-11 03:39 AM
    I always try and update my friends on whats up with BB, I let a friend who has an Iphone see wikitude and he was like wtf...lol
    My gf wants my phone and doesn't even know BB that well, she just loves the way it looks and feels.
    10-31-11 09:07 AM
    Love the story. Your the first poster from Russia that I've seen (perhaps theres more) So keep up the good work and tell you friends about CB aswell.
    Yep, I will.

The thing is BlackBerry phones are some kind of enigma for masses here in Russia. They came out of nowhere - so everybody is kinda spooked by their appearance. At least this is how it looks to me. It's just people are so used to use Nokia and iPhones and Androids, they don't even care about knowing something that lies beyond these frontiers. And, ugh, RIM doesn't care to advertise its smartphones in Russia. I mean AT ALL! There are no billboards, no TV commercials, not much articles on dedicated web resources. So, you can imagine, when it comes to buying a smartphone consumers choose something they had at least heard of. For most of them BlackBerry is just ANOTHER smartphone they've never heard about. So, why choose something you're not familiar with?....

Now things are slowly changing. Cell carriers seemed to understand that BlackBerry can be a nice source of profit, so they began creating different options for those buying BBs from them and thus stimulating the market.

Alas, we still don't have the new BBs officially sold in Russia. And there are no particular dates set for their arrival yet. Unfortunately. For example, I bought my BB in Italy. We only have old Bolds, Curves & Torches available. But - you're gonna be shocked now! - all those devices come with BLOCKED WiFi and BBM. Due to restrictions from Russian special services carriers must sell BBs with those functions blocked.

It's been only a couple of days since carriers were allowed to unblock WiFi in Russia. No BBM officially for Russians yet. So, everybody is using 'gray' devices. Like me.

Russian market is one wicked place. I keep the hope it will change one day. Yeah, I'm a very optimistic person. Hehehehehe.
    JR A likes this.
    10-31-11 09:23 AM
    Well, I stopped trying to convince anyone. I just use my devices, not showing-off with large air-wipes or white color. Then, when I get answers in real situation, simply using one of my BaBys, I often get a "what is that ?". Now, I don't even say "it's a Blackberry". Instead I put it in my friend/colleague hands and say "wanna try ?". Does it fast: no words, no "it's better" nor "xxx sucks", I just let them play with it.
    The first device demonstrated is usually the phone. But when I take my PB out of the pocket and put it beside my 9900 on the table "and this is its best friend" ... believe me ... the smile says it all.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-31-11 at 09:54 AM.
    10-31-11 09:36 AM
    I seen one in person, looks good.
    Last edited by nfl46; 10-31-11 at 09:47 AM.
    10-31-11 09:44 AM
    If I walked into a Carrier Store and the sells person told my that an Android or iPhone would be better than a BlackBerry i'd probably slap that person in the face and go somewhere else... One reason is because I think it's illegal to do that here but mostly because I hate when people tell me what I want! If I wanted an Android or iPhone i'd be looking at them and not BlackBerries... So I think it's very rude to do what she did.

Just my two pennies.

I do think BlackBerry needs to get a lot better at marketing their products, I don't think i've ever seen an add on TV or in a magazine... but like Wu-Wei said, the carriers also need to be able to support the phones.
    At the Verizon store in Turlock, CA the sales guy went as far as telling me that he doesn't he doesn't sell BBs. I looked at him and asked if his boss knew that he doesn't sell something they have on the shelf? He actually walked away. Went to another VZ several miles away in Livermore, CA (I had to go to the area) and the sales guy who assisted me there was able to answer my questions.

I am a tech geek and I had already done my research and even played with the 9930, I just wanted the answer to one question: "what's the return ration on these devices". He was nice enough to tell me that they haven't sold many but that those that have been sold, have not been returned. He of course tried to show me some of the features but I just told him to to go the back and get me one.
    JR A likes this.
    10-31-11 10:08 AM
    Most young people I know think they all look the same with the tiny screens and keyboard.
    I had to stop by Verizon on Friday after I got my iPhone to do a few things with my Storm2. I had to wait a few minutes on the computer that can swap contacts from one phone to another to be free so the sales lady could switch my contacts over.

The BlackBerry display was at the far end of the store hidden behind the Otterbox cases and the cases for Droids and iPhones. Kind of sad really. Anyway, I overheard a couple of people looking at the BBs and one of them commented that they all look the same and they went on to wonder why the BlackBerry was almost $100 more expensive than the iPhone4s. Never having hands on with the 9930, I went over to play with it a bit while I was waiting on the computer thing to transfer my contacts from my S2 to my iPhone4s.

I can see how someone who isn't familiar with BBs could see that. The Bold looks like the Curve 3G if you're not familiar with BBs.

Just my two pennies.

You do realize that this happens all the time at every store no matter what they sell? Car salespeople are the worst. They're gonna try to get you in something that gives them the most profit no matter what you want. Sales clerks at department stores will always try to steer you towards a more expensive sweater so they make more in commission then try to tack on earrings, a necklace, new shoes and a purse to seal the deal. It's not just carrier stores like Verizon or TMo that do this. It's everyone from Ford dealers to the sales clerks at Macy's.
    JR A likes this.
    10-31-11 02:33 PM
    my 20 year old son had a similiar reaction to my 9780. And when he saw that it would play music through the bluetooth connection in the car he said "I gotta have one of those, wouldnt need my ipod". Two of his buddies had similiar reactions. They all had androids of various makes and models. Dont androids do the music bluetooth thing?

So just who doesn't like the new bbs?
    Last edited by Sloppy; 10-31-11 at 03:21 PM.
    10-31-11 03:18 PM
    my 20 year old son had a similiar reaction to my 9780. And when he saw that it would play music through the bluetooth connection in the car he said "I gotta have one of those, wouldnt need my ipod". Two of his buddies had similiar reactions. They all had androids of various makes and models. Dont androids do the music bluetooth thing?

So just who doesn't like the new bbs?
    I don't know of any Android device that can't stream via bluetooth.

In all fairness, my wife's Pearl could stream via bluetooth circa 2007, IIRC.
    10-31-11 03:32 PM
    I had to stop by Verizon on Friday after I got my iPhone to do a few things with my Storm2. I had to wait a few minutes on the computer that can swap contacts from one phone to another to be free so the sales lady could switch my contacts over.

The BlackBerry display was at the far end of the store hidden behind the Otterbox cases and the cases for Droids and iPhones. Kind of sad really. Anyway, I overheard a couple of people looking at the BBs and one of them commented that they all look the same and they went on to wonder why the BlackBerry was almost $100 more expensive than the iPhone4s. Never having hands on with the 9930, I went over to play with it a bit while I was waiting on the computer thing to transfer my contacts from my S2 to my iPhone4s.

I can see how someone who isn't familiar with BBs could see that. The Bold looks like the Curve 3G if you're not familiar with BBs.

You do realize that this happens all the time at every store no matter what they sell? Car salespeople are the worst. They're gonna try to get you in something that gives them the most profit no matter what you want. Sales clerks at department stores will always try to steer you towards a more expensive sweater so they make more in commission then try to tack on earrings, a necklace, new shoes and a purse to seal the deal. It's not just carrier stores like Verizon or TMo that do this. It's everyone from Ford dealers to the sales clerks at Macy's.

That's how I felt when I first saw Blackberrys. Then again, that's how I felt about every phone at first.

I think the funniest/weirdest thing I've ever been asked recently about my new Bold 9930 was:

"What kind of phone is that?"

"It's the new Blackberry Bold."

"Oh, what does it do?"

LOL!
    10-31-11 04:10 PM
    I guess i'd get to slap alot of people then...
    It's so weird how different it works in different countrys... That never happends here...
    10-31-11 04:51 PM
    Most young people I know think they all look the same with the tiny screens and keyboard.

They do. That's the point.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-31-11 05:10 PM
    I guess i'd get to slap alot of people then...
    It's so weird how different it works in different countrys... That never happends here...
    Saw you're from Mars. Guess only thing you have to worry about is the occasional anal probe. Couldn't resist.

Sales people are out to make money. Most of them don't get paid much at all as far as salary but make up for their lack of salary with comission sales. Some jobs, like car sales, are almost always 100% straight commission.
    11-01-11 08:43 AM
    They do. That's the point.
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Two days ago, I've been asking two girls (around 15 yo) that where texting in the queue at my supermarket "why are you BB ? For BBM ?" both simultaneously no-no shake heads and one voice answered : "the keyboard !".
    JR A and recompile like this.
    11-01-11 09:09 AM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD