The excitement of my new shipment of BlackBerry Classics came today for all my employees. Over time and through the years we've gone from the Storm to the Curve, upgrading to the 9930s, the Zed 10s, and now the Classics. In a meeting today I handed out all the new Classics with some overlay here during it where my employees can still use there Zed 10s and the Classic at the same time until next week give or take having to swap their BlackBerry IDs back and forth for personal between the two devices.

The surprise here was that after two hours of intense usage on the new Classic and so forth, an overwhelming majority spoke and said they prefer the Zed 10 over the Classic. I was in shock, literally as this goes past the point of just everyday general preference(s) for the full qwerty vs. the touch. I guess it's just 'shock value' here where I've spent an enormous investment in these new classics, but with the Z10s, I'm at a lost for words.

I suppose if I can afford to allow them to use both I will and maybe it will take a bit of an adjustment period on either side of the line, but, for example, how all of us embraced the 9930 at the time vs using the Classic, there's no comparison, and to think, that for the most part after two years with the original flagship device as the Zed 10, with the specs being almost identical give or take a few, I'm thinking about the embracing period here. A resounding 'wow' here. I really thought they'd be excited as I took polls, had them read the reviews and so forth, not to mention how the new classics will work with our BES10 etc., I don't know what to say.

I guess as an owner in relation to BlackBerry, I am an early adopter. BlackBerry is every much a part of my professional life as it is personal and I want my employees to be happy. I suppose if they have to use both I may let them as I need to go over integration and so forth of keeping the Zeds and using the new Classics.

Still to this day, the Zed 10 to me was way ahead of its time (see my post on "A time in passing: Remembering my Zed 10, two years, the flagship of beauty in a new era")

That Z10 is still as strong today for all the right reasons. Curious to see where the Classics will take us...
    Well, I had exactly same experience with my employees, they prefer the Z10 because of the bigger real estate of the screen! This is the only reason and I can understand it because is difficult to get adapted to a smaller screen, even when you use the phone only for business, emails, excel etc. Of course they would love to upgrade to the passport because of its big screen and keyboard, but too expensive for me...

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    02-27-15 06:44 PM
    So 99% of smartphones sold are all touch and there is shock that end users prefer all touch over the Classic?! Chen might be in shock too when he realizes what a waste it was to focus so much on PKB and ignoring the existing Z line customers. I'm seeing federal employees taking the Z line over PKB too. Unless you are typing super long emails, books, or documents, PKB just isn't needed and most end users want all touch.

Posted via CB10
    I think the strategy is that people that still use old BlackBerry OS 7 to upgrade to the classic and not those who are using the Z.

02-27-15 06:48 PM
    I always thought the Classic was just a replacement for the Q10. As the Rio will be a replacement for the Z10

Posted via CB10
    ponpiri likes this.
    02-27-15 07:08 PM
    So 99% of smartphones sold are all touch and there is shock that end users prefer all touch over the Classic?! Chen might be in shock too when he realizes what a waste it was to focus so much on PKB and ignoring the existing Z line customers.
    I think the shock was how many phones the Z sold. Uh, I mean didn't sell. Thus, the return of the keyboard for the people still sticking with BB.

Not sure how it's a waste if it sells as many as the Z's.

I'm seeing federal employees taking the Z line over PKB too. Unless you are typing super long emails, books, or documents, PKB just isn't needed and most end users want all touch.
    Posted via CB10
    Typing anything, regardless of how long it is, is easier, more accurate and faster, not just super long emails. Operation is faster with all the shortcuts.

Also,"most" means more than 50%, leaving plenty of room for qwerty fans. And most of them want it because that's the only thing they've ever experienced, perhaps like the OPs employees. But I think many other miss the PKB and simply accept the typing experience in exchange for more screen space.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 02-27-15 at 07:20 PM.
    02-27-15 07:09 PM
    To be honest, the classic is really a very limited device designed to migrate 9900 users who can't live without the tool belt. Anyone else who prefers a keyboard phone is going to pick a passport especially given current pricing. Everyone else is going to pick a Z10/Z30.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 07:55 PM
    No, you would be wrong. It is basically a myth that physical keyboard phones are popular amongst business users. I am not talking about these phones being better or worse. It is just a fact.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-27-15 07:58 PM
    I think the shock was how many phones the Z sold. Uh, I mean didn't sell. Thus, the return of the keyboard for the people still sticking with BB.

Not sure how it's a waste if it sells as many as the Z's.

Typing anything, regardless of how long it is, is easier, more accurate and faster, not just super long emails. Operation is faster with all the shortcuts.

Also,"most" means more than 50%, leaving plenty of room for qwerty fans. And most of them want it because that's the only thing they've ever experienced, perhaps like the OPs employees. But I think many other miss the PKB and simply accept the typing experience in exchange for more screen space.
    LOL. You guys need to accept that more all touch BB10 devices have sold than PKB. Also the Classic just perpetuates the negative view tied to the brand from the BBOS devices. I can type faster on my Z30 than I ever did on my 8830, 9630, or 9900, and all my Treo devices prior to that. Now with 10.3.1 it appears that the only issue that I had with text selection being the only thing that degraded with all touch has now been addressed.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 08:02 PM
    Just don't let them touch a z30, they won't want anything Else!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 08:13 PM
    Not a shock to me. No one wants to use an antique. I mean Classic.

BlackBerry hates America!
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-27-15 08:17 PM
    No, that's what phone is for. It sure isn't an upgrade to anything other than maybe the Z10.
    I would not even say it's an upgrade either.

I can't see one thing, besides the battery, that is better or improved upon over the Z10.

BlackBerry hates America!
    kbz1960 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    02-27-15 08:19 PM
    It's normal to dislike a phone with a smaller screen. I wont go back to Q10 after having the Z30 (my eyes hate to squint). Then they'd miss the flicking. What "other" apps do they have on their Z10? "Other" means games, videos, non-work apps. They wouldn't be able to port it properly to the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 08:28 PM
    Return the Classics and get them Z30's. If they like the Z10's, they'll LOVE the Z30's!

You should even save a few bucks in the swap.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 08:36 PM
    I think the strategy is that people that still use old BlackBerry OS 7 to upgrade to the classic and not those who are using the Z.

Therein lies the problem. Some on here are so enamored by Chen (understandable after the last guy), that they fail to see that BlackBerry's strategy is still all over the place. However, after multiple outings in the US where I run into someone who starts off a sentence with, "WOW! A BlackBerry!,"it's nice to see American carriers stocking them again. It was hit or miss at one point when it came to actually walking into a store and touching one. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Btw, got an email from AT&T this morning saying the Passport and Classic are now available.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 08:48 PM
    Return the Classics and get them Z30's. If they like the Z10's, they'll LOVE the Z30's!

You should even save a few bucks in the swap.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting assumption. Z10 owner who's held/tinkered with a Z30, here. Didn't love it. I prefer the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 08:50 PM
    Z10 has a great screen, the typing support is superb and the larger screen in landscape is a great feature. Z10 is a winner, z30 is even better!

Posted via CB10
    dazzleaj likes this.
    02-27-15 09:04 PM
    Interesting assumption. Z10 owner who's held/tinkered with a Z30, here. Didn't love it. I prefer the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Based purely on personal experience. It took me about a week to adjust to the Z30, but when I pick up my Z10 now, it seems like a small toy where my fingers get cramped typing. ( and no I'm not a fan of typing in landscape mode)

In case anyone missed the advantages (IMHO)

Larger screen
    Wider keyboard
    Phenomenal battery
    Miracast a.k.a wireless screen share
    FM radio
    Better specs/ runs faster
    Better speakers (just place your phone on the table and you have conference call quality)
    Better Bluetooth syncing with running accessories
    Harder to steal ( back cover is difficult to take off and battery is not removable which gives more time for tracking)

Z10 advantages

Brighter screen ( gap has narrowed with this new OS)

Posted via CB10
    CyberMan2013 and dazzleaj like this.
    02-27-15 09:41 PM
    With a very good virtual kb on BB10, imo, most people wouldn't like to give away the advantages of the real estate for a similarly spec'd, smaller screen device. And I guess that's why the Passport is such a masterstroke. Like it was said so aptly for 9900, it's actually the best of both worlds: you get the pkb without compromising on the screen size. That being said, I guess Classic had very specific a target audience: people still using the BBOS devices with the screen size not being an issue.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 10:02 PM
    And why wouldn't they? The reasons are all too obvious.
    Just imagine if you'd gone one step further and given them Z30s; you'd be boss of the century!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 10:07 PM
    OP does not want to pay for a Passport. Also not everyone wants such a wide device. It bothers me to no end that the one device that might have found a following is a Passport with a screen with a 4:3 screen. It could have had the same screen size but a more usable width. The Classic is as wide as I would want.

I agree that OP should be taking those Classic's back for Z30's or just wait for the "Leap".

Posted via CB10
    dazzleaj likes this.
    02-27-15 10:20 PM
    Except all the shortcuts.
    And the one handed operation.
    With gloves.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 11:38 PM
    I was at West Edmonton Mall today, walked past a cellular kiosk where they had the Passport set up by the Classic. I went over to "covet" the Passport, as this is all I can currently afford to do. I was kind of caught off guard by the Classic. My first reaction was that it was an old BlackBerry. Then after I realized what it was, I kind of wondered what the point was.

I realize there are holdouts for the belt but as someone who has used the Z10 for two years, I have no desire to try to adapt back to it. The gestures to me are the best part of BB10 and the belt looks like it's in the way. I wonder if your employees are feeling the same way. I love my touch screen and the screen real estate, but I know I'd probably be happy with one of the non-belt pkb phones.

It just feels like the past to have those buttons there.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 11:55 PM
    Have you even used the touch keyboard for the Zs? It's possible to type faster and with greater ease than a PKB, however the ability to touch type with a physical keyboard and the smaller form factor is why I choose the Q10, something about being able to cross the street and respond to a message at the same time is something I find useful

But I think many other miss the PKB and simply accept the typing experience in exchange for more screen space.
    This is true! I know a few people that when I informed them that the Classic even exists said they would consider it for there next phone.

A lot of people left BlackBerry not because of the limitations of the form factor, but the limitations of the software and minimilistic specs

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 11:57 PM
    I was at West Edmonton Mall today, walked past a cellular kiosk where they had the Passport set up by the Classic. I went over to "covet" the Passport, as this is all I can currently afford to do. I was kind of caught off guard by the Classic. My first reaction was that it was an old BlackBerry. Then after I realized what it was, I kind of wondered what the point was.

I realize there are holdouts for the belt but as someone who has used the Z10 for two years, I have no desire to try to adapt back to it. The gestures to me are the best part of BB10 and the belt looks like it's in the way. I wonder if your employees are feeling the same way. I love my touch screen and the screen real estate, but I know I'd probably be happy with one of the non-belt pkb phones.

It just feels like the past to have those buttons there.

Posted via CB10
    Yes but was the Classic a working model? You can not appreciate a Classic by holding a non working dummy. The Classic works just fine without using the track-pad. The Track-pad is there when you need it. It does not add to the width of the device. The Classic looks are just fine for what it us... a new Bold phone. It is what it is. Most Classic customers would find the Passport to have a brilliant screen but be too wide

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 12:04 AM
    I never tried the Z10 but I hear many great things about the phone. The only negative thing I heard about it is the battery life. I hope BlackBerry comes out a new z10 replacement soon with a great battery life like the Passport.
    Good phone, needed a better battery and a little more processing power
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    02-28-15 12:30 AM
    I moved from a z10 to a passport. Mostly for the larger screen. I do like it's pkb but I do forget to swipe or page up using it mostly and probably would have gone passport all touch.
    I certainly would have seen the classic as a step down from a z10!

Swiped on my beautiful Passport!
    02-28-15 02:13 AM
211 1234 ...