Bye Bye, BlackBerry (and Good Riddance Too)

Posted: 08/16/2013 4:04 pm

This week comes the news that apparently BlackBerry holding company Research in Motion (RIM) is putting the company up for sale. And it may be a fire sign sale at that.

Earlier this year, the company used the tech news media to convince Wall Street, investors and most importantly their consumers that their new BlackBerry 10 operating system and platform was the saving grace for their entire technology fiefdom.

My response? "Nah!! Never happen."

I knew that this BlackBerry 10 Hail Mary was a last death-rattle of a dying tech company.

My fair disclaimer to the reader: I'm not a BlackBerry or Apple guy ... not at all. In fact, I will never own a BlackBerry, Mac, iPhone, iPad; that's how strongly I am against their technology platforms.

If there's anything more annoying than some gooey-eyed Apple aficionado sidling up to me uninvited at a bar to show me their new iPhone 5, it's trying to have any kind of meaningful conversation with a 'Crackberry' addict as they manically type away on their tiny screens.

This is why I say good riddance to the BlackBerry family of absurdly proprietary products. We don't need them anymore. Even the BlackBerry people themselves are slowly awakening from a tech-induced fog to realize that their screens are too damn small and their proprietary platform too much a walled-in garden.

Now the BlackBerry assets may well be sold to a Google ( la Motorola) or some other acquirer, but the brand will definitely slink unheralded into oblivion.

As we the people, become more and more tech-savvy and less vain about our technology, tech consumers become more realistic and less brand loyal. For instance, BlackBerry just wasn't able to respond to the screen-size difference that their increasingly screen-size sensitive consumers were feeling due to the bigger screens provided by Apple and more importantly, the substantially bigger screens of Samsung.

Samsung's Galaxy smartphone line continues their decimation of Apple's dwindling iPhone products. At more than 30 percent of the global smartphone market share, it mightn't be long until Samsung puts Apple back in their place as an also-ran tech company with no meaningful leadership or innovation edge. With iPhone's current global market share at 13 percent and dropping like a lead balloon, it is not as unimaginable as it once was that Apple may end up with a measly 4 percent of the smartphone market as their hubris led them to in the world desktop market versus the PC.

Apple, interestingly is feeling their consumer angst at the smaller iPhone screen situation and this is the direct reason why they are almost down to a single-digit market share of smartphone sales ... not Steve Jobs' death. Unless Apple can reverse the screen-size advantage and 'use-ability' superiority of the Samsung Galaxy family of products, they may well be next to walk the technology plank into the deep, dark and unforgiving waters of tech extinction that now shortly will engulf BlackBerry.

Bye bye, BlackBerry ... "may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

Follow Bill_Robinson on Twitter: www.twitter.com/@RelentlessBill

Article source:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/billro...b_3768018.html

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z10.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 08-19-13 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Added quote code.
    moody, Donvald, BergerKing and 2 others like this.
    08-18-13 09:56 PM
    At least he admits his bias.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 10:10 PM
    oh so the writer declares his anti BlackBerry, anti security, anti awesome, and Pro open source pro google pro android, and pro to being vulnerable to hacks.

That's cool, some journalist he is
    08-18-13 10:10 PM
    Would like to see BlackBerry respond to this.

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    LuisCast and athena17 like this.
    08-18-13 10:14 PM
    Jeez, why does he seem so obsessed with screen size? I'm sure he has a Note II or something. Anyways...it's a column/editorial so it is more of a personal piece of journalism.
    ddlax22 likes this.
    08-18-13 10:15 PM
    Wow, so much hate displayed by the writer for a phone. The article is extremely biased.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    nquyen, LuisCast, boi2012 and 2 others like this.
    08-18-13 10:18 PM
    Jeez, why does he seem so obsessed with screen size? I'm sure he has a Note II or something. Anyways...it's a column/editorial so it is more of a personal piece of journalism.
    Most men (and some women) are obsessed with size.
    08-18-13 10:25 PM
    Lol. The author professes he never owned a BlackBerry and says "we" don't need them any more. Bizarre writing style there.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 10:26 PM
    Look at the source and chill......
    moody likes this.
    08-18-13 10:35 PM
    Bill_Robinson
    Aug 16, 2013
    This week comes the news that apparently BlackBerry holding company Research in Motion (RIM) is putting the company up for sale. And it may be a fire sign sale at that.

Earlier this year, the company used the tech support news media to convince Wall Street, investors and most importantly their consumers that their new BlackBerry 10 operating system and platform was the saving grace for their entire technology fiefdom.

My response? "Nah!! Never happen."I knew that this BlackBerry 10 Hail Mary was a last death-rattle of a dying tech company.

My fair disclaimer to the reader:*I'm not a BlackBerry or Apple guy ... not at all. In fact, I will never own a BlackBerry, Mac, iPhone, iPad; that's how strongly I am against their technology platforms.

If there's anything more annoying than some gooey-eyed Apple aficionado sidling up to me uninvited at a bar to show me their new iPhone 5, it's trying to have any kind of meaningful conversation with a 'Crackberry' addict as they manically type away on their tiny screens.

This is why I say good riddance to the BlackBerry family of absurdly proprietary products. We don't need them anymore. Even the BlackBerry people themselves are slowly awakening from a tech-induced fog to realize that their screens*are too damn small*and their proprietary platform too much a walled-in garden.

Now the BlackBerry assets may well be sold to a Google (� la Motorola) or some other acquirer, but the brand will definitely slink unheralded into oblivion.

As we the people, become more and more tech-savvy and less vain about our technology, tech consumers become more realistic and less brand loyal. For instance, BlackBerry just wasn't able to respond to the screen-size difference that their increasingly screen-size sensitive consumers were feeling due to the bigger screens provided by Apple and more importantly, the substantially bigger screens of Samsung.

Samsung's Galaxy smartphone line continues their decimation of Apple's dwindling iPhone products. At more than 30 percent of the global smartphone market share, it mightn't be long until Samsung puts Apple back in their place as an also-ran tech company with no meaningful leadership or innovation edge. With iPhone's current global market share at 13 percent and dropping like a lead balloon, it is not as unimaginable as it once was that Apple may end up with a measly 4 percent of the smartphone market as their hubris led them to in the world desktop market versus the PC.

Apple, interestingly is feeling their consumer angst at the smaller iPhone screen situation and this is the direct reason why they are almost down to a single-digit market share of smartphone sales ... not Steve Jobs' death. Unless Apple can reverse the screen-size advantage and 'use-ability' superiority of the Samsung Galaxy family of products, they may well be next to walk the technology plank into the deep, dark and unforgiving waters of tech extinction that now shortly will engulf BlackBerry.

Bye bye, BlackBerry ... "may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."
    Quoted the story rather than give the negats the page hits. This is a practice that members should exercise when sharing articles like this, as long as a link is added on the thread.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 08-18-13 at 10:46 PM.
    08-18-13 10:35 PM
    Wow that was pretty annoying. I don't see why he has to hate in my chosen product when I really don't care what he gets and really how is his angry rant any different than when an iPhone user comes to talk to him espousing the benefits if their product?

Hypocritical ***!

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 10:42 PM
    It's a journalistic tool: write something opinionated and sensational and it'll drum up interest and visibility. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I'm not surprised at the article: there are those that prefer a given platform and anything written to the detriment of one can easily provoke an impassioned response, even outrage.

Whatever one's take on this story, it's been successful. For my part, I hope BBRY is able to continue, whatever the future brings.

Z10-4 10.2.0.1323 via CB10
    anon(5624621) and shaleem like this.
    08-18-13 10:42 PM
    The article and author was overly hateful, but had at least one point that I agree with.

BlackBerry's closed nature sucks. I look around my house and I can find two PlayBooks gathering dust. They each have pretty capable hardware, but the software on them isn't worth using. If it weren't for BlackBerry being closed up, I would have put Android on them a year ago and would still be getting use out of both of them today.

The closed nature of BlackBerry makes me worry about the future of the BlackBerry 10 phones, especially now that BlackBerry is up for sale. What if a company buys BlackBerry and kills off BlackBerry 10? Welp, we'd have another PlayBook situation on our hands. Decent hardware, with dead end software.

I had PlayBooks since the week the launched (supplied to me for free by BlackBerry) and the updates were few and fair between. If I am recalling correctly, the PlayBook only got 2 updates that made noticeable changes. The vast majority of PlayBook updates were minor bug fixes that didn't seem to accomplish much except bring new bugs.

For the record, I did not purchase a BlackBerry 10 device simply because BlackBerry is closed up, and after the way the PlayBook was handled, I have no faith in the company supporting their devices in a satisfactory manor.
    08-18-13 11:01 PM
    Lol, I wonder how many clicks this fella got from the angry Crackberrians. You guys fall for it EVERY...SINGLE...TIME!
    08-18-13 11:07 PM
    wow, and He thinks he knows technology??? or maybe he is lonely
    08-18-13 11:07 PM
    Lol, I wonder how many clicks this fella got from the angry Crackberrians. You guys fall for it EVERY...SINGLE...TIME!
    A lot fewer after I quoted the story, I'd hope. I didn't see a feedback link, so any hits I can keep them from getting is fine with me.
    08-18-13 11:14 PM
    Well, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions :-)
    Donvald likes this.
    08-18-13 11:18 PM
    Calling the HuffPo "journalism" is like calling a swap meet a shopping mall...
    BerryWizard, k3cub, Elite1 and 7 others like this.
    08-18-13 11:24 PM
    Calling the HuffPo "journalism" is like calling a swap meet a shopping mall...
    So true!
    k3cub likes this.
    08-18-13 11:29 PM
    He spends more time bashing apple than BB. 30 seconds of my life I won't get back.
    08-18-13 11:33 PM
    As we the people, become more and more tech-savvy and less vain about our technology, tech consumers become more realistic and less brand loyal
    ok...makes sense...but look at what he said right after :
    the substantially bigger screens of Samsung.
    so now he is chanting the name of a brand after saying that tech-savvy's were not loyal to brands??

lets see another proof of his loyalty for samsung :

Samsung's Galaxy smartphone line continues their decimation of Apple's dwindling iPhone products
    lollllll to the above quote...seriously...is this guy mentally challenged or was he paid a hell lot of money by samsung?

it is not as unimaginable as it once was that Apple may end up with a measly 4 percent of the smartphone market
    again...im speechless of how stupid and none sense this is. trust me. apple will never be at 4pc market share .
    also, id like to see were he got his numbers. are we talking about us market or would market? 13 pc for apple? seriously? i highly doubt it.

Unless Apple can reverse the screen-size advantage and 'use-ability' superiority of the Samsung Galaxy family of products
    he should have included in the disclaimer : please note that the article you are about to read is a peace of crap paid by samsung.

yeah.... i saved the most restarted comment for the last

i call those journalist-whores they had kill mother and sisters for a single page click.
    they bring nothing new to the tech world and samsung should be ashamed to be associated with such garbage person.
    kbabiuk likes this.
    08-18-13 11:34 PM
    thats why i waited until bergerking post the quoted article, i never felt for this old trick.
    08-18-13 11:37 PM
    He spends more time bashing apple than BB. 30 seconds of my life I won't get back.
    that doesnt make it less of a non-sense. i use samsung, bb, apple, and many other products and value each one of them for what they bring to me. im not bashing another company because i dont like their products. thats plain stupid
    08-18-13 11:40 PM
    thats why i waited until bergerking post the quoted article, i never felt for this old trick.
    And that's why I mentioned there was no feedback link, so people wouldn't go clicking looking for one, as well. I'll give one to deny more.
    08-18-13 11:44 PM
    This guy is either obsessed with Samsung phones or gets paid by Samsung. There's nothing new here people let's move along =)

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 11:57 PM
194 123 ...