Morning all,

Not sure where I should post this message as mainly about security concerns.

Been a Blackberry user and partner with RiM for many, many years and never had any security worries up to now! And Ive suddenly got two in a very short space of time.

Recently bought my (step) daughter a BlackBerry at Christmas; shes 12 years old and we bought it for her so that she could stay in contact with my wife and I when she goes to see her real Dad who lives in France. Shes on a Pay As You Go (PAYG) tariff and, on Sunday, I topped up the credit on her phone before she flew off to France on Monday morning. Since we topped up her BB she has had several withheld numbers on her handset and, worse, three or four BBM contact requests a day from PIN numbers she doesnt know. This is, obviously, causing her (and us!) some great concern.

She has sent some of the PIN numbers to me and I have sent contact messages to two of the PINs and both seem to be eastern/Asian young males guys (ate teens early 20s). Our obvious biggest/wildest concerns is that shes being targeted by some paedophiles but Im hoping thats just us being worried for her safety. She doesnt have and wont be allowed on social media sites such as FaceBook (shes way too young) she has a very limited number of contacts on her BBM so I cant see that shes broadcast her PIN anywhere.

So how come shes getting lots of requests every day.?? Someone pishing?? Has her Pin been discovered from someone elses address book?? Anyone else had similar experiences?? More importantly what do I di to solve the problem?? Should I go to the Police??

The second issue that I have is that at 20:52 last night I received a text (SMS) from my eldest daughter (shes 21 years old) the exchange went something like:

(her) 20:52 Im away on holiday right now but Ill give you a call when I get back
    (me) 20:53 OK honey. Where you on hols??
    (her) 20:56 Did u mean to text me then..?
    (me) 20:57 I was replying to you??
    (her) 21:00 I havent text u anything haha. What did it say? My phones not coming up with any previous texts! X
    (me) 21:01 (I sent back the original message)
    (her) 21:03 Are u sure thats my number dad? There is no way I could have sent that by accident in my pocket

So has my BB been hacked?? Has it got a virus?? Im a BES user and Im going to wipe my security wipe my device just to be on the safe side.

But how can that happen??

Any help and advice much appreciated

Osh
    04-04-12 05:20 AM
    It may be possible for a bbm contact of your daughter's to share her pin on a bbm chat room like Smoothie.

Some people do this as there are some pins people display and ask for bbm adds.
    04-04-12 05:56 AM
    Morning all,

Not sure where I should post this message as mainly about security concerns.
    Osh
    Wow...rather alarming. As a parent of 2 daughters your issues hit close to home.
    Our 17y/o using a GS2 and 21y/o using a 9810.
    Good luck with finding what could be the cause. Keep me/us posted, please!!!
    04-04-12 05:57 AM
    The PIN could easily have been posted by someone who had it, or even by accident. If someone shared their PIN online and it was a single digit off, hers might be the result. Keep an eye on it and just ignore the bbm invites.
    04-04-12 06:00 AM
  5. T
    Yes, and in the BlackBerry firewall you can block texts and PIN messages. You can also make "exceptions" to allow texts and PIN messages from certain numbers, your contacts, etc. You can just ignore and block the BBM requests when they come in.
    04-04-12 06:13 AM
    I'm guessing the pin was posted somewhere public.

Re the SMS, did you hit Reply to the original txt or did you create a new msg to your daughter?
    04-04-12 06:26 AM
    Yes, and in the BlackBerry firewall you can block texts and PIN messages. You can also make "exceptions" to allow texts and PIN messages from certain numbers, your contacts, etc. You can just ignore and block the BBM requests when they come in.
    Hi Tonis - thanks for the reply: how do you block stuff at the BlackBerry Firewall...??

Osh
    04-04-12 06:31 AM
    I'm guessing the pin was posted somewhere public.

Re the SMS, did you hit Reply to the original txt or did you create a new msg to your daughter?
    Hi Stewart - I simply replied to her message; i.e. her message came in to me first i then simply pressed reply...

Osh
    04-04-12 06:32 AM
    Wow...rather alarming. As a parent of 2 daughters your issues hit close to home.
    Our 17y/o using a GS2 and 21y/o using a 9810.
    Good luck with finding what could be the cause. Keep me/us posted, please!!!
    Will do m8

Osh
    04-04-12 06:33 AM
    Hi Stewart - I simply replied to her message; i.e. her message came in to me first i then simply pressed reply...

Osh
    There may be some simple reason that happened, but I'd definitely be worried too. I wish I had some advice for you but I don't.

Il be following your thread as this is a very curious and important topic.
    04-04-12 06:36 AM
    I'll just add that no matter how hard a parent tries they do not know everything their children are doing or have done. And yes they do lie.
    04-04-12 06:44 AM
  12. T
    Hi Tonis - thanks for the reply: how do you block stuff at the BlackBerry Firewall...??

Osh
    If you go to Options>Security>Firewall, just check "enable" and then check the boxes for what you want to block. Below that are the exceptions you can set for specific phone numbers, addresses, and PINs. Just be sure to make exceptions if you block texts. Otherwise you won't get any texts, not even the ones you want.
    04-04-12 07:19 AM
    This situation is really sticking with me......

The BBM thing: I wonder if possibly one of your daughters BBM contacts broadcast her pin to their contacts in an effort to boast your daughters BBM contact list?

The txt thing: A Droid user friend of mine commented on an app he had where he could send a txt or make a call that would display a different phone #.

Just throwing stuff out there.
    04-04-12 07:22 AM
    Maybe her Wikitude is set to public settings. If this is the case her location will be viewable to other wikitude users and they will be able to add her to bbm.
    04-04-12 08:10 AM
    Maybe her Wikitude is set to public settings. If this is the case her location will be viewable to other wikitude users and they will be able to add her to bbm.
    Hi m8 - she doesnt have Wikitude

Osh
    04-04-12 08:45 AM
    I figured she might since you said u got phone in December, all BB7s have Wikitude pre-loaded
    04-04-12 08:56 AM
    The text message might have been originated with a text spoofing app or service. Just Google "SMS Spoofing" for more info.
    04-04-12 09:05 AM
    The SMS message could have happened by a carrier issue, especially with international SMS, I've received many SMS clearly not for me over the years with various devices, SMS isn't as reliable as many people seem to think it is, Carriers technology used to manage them can be very very old.

as for the BBM issue
    First thing you should do is google her PIN, you may find it on a social media site, she could have made a girl at school upset who then posted her pin online as an angry move,
    04-04-12 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD