View Poll Results: Would you still recommend a Blackberry?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

125 69.06%
  • NO

56 30.94%
    Yes, and I do All the time, mind you I also suggest the Samsung Galaxy often as well

Ask what they use it for, and show them what I use both my phones for.
    When asked my opinion about a specific device, if I know about it I give my opinion, if I don't I say I haven't heard/seen it,
    But I would say 4 out of 5 people I recommend a BlackBerry to because data costs are a growing concern, as is replacement cost when you break your phone before the end of your 3 year contract.
    10-25-11 08:53 PM
    Its not that I recommend a BlackBerry.

I recommend a phone that they want.
    I don't tell people to get phones that they will hate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-11 08:56 PM
    I recommend technology based on what people want to do with it. I recommend BB's to anyone who wants a solid messaging phone, but iPhone for pretty much anything else.

Sadly, it's come to the point, after 11 years, that I and a few friends who've had BB's since the beginning (we all had 957's when they first came out) are going to buy iPhone 4S's. The BB's we have just don't cut it for what we want to do.

At my workplace, I manage dozens of corporate BlackBerry's (so at least I'll always have a work-BB Bold for the forseeable future), and there's been a greater internal push toward iPhones (with third party BES-like management software). Nobody wants a BlackBerry anymore, and all the end-users I work with believe RIM is edging toward bankruptcy because of "all the problems they're having"... I don't believe any of that, but it's harder and harder to correct people when all they hear is negative press about RIM and BlackBerry's growing tarnished image.

Even people on the street think this! I see sales people at big-box electronic stores dissuading people from buying any RIM products because of "all their problems"... this is a very bad sign!
    10-25-11 08:56 PM
    I would recommend it if they did a lot of email or required a qwerty keyboard. For anyone else, probably not.
    10-25-11 09:31 PM
    Ofcourse YES! Why should I suffer alone?
    10-26-11 06:15 AM
    Nope not really! But let's say the person absolutely needs a bb ill guide them to get the best model for their needs. But that's it! I got playbook and a bb 9900 and i wouldn't recommend people
    to get either devices! Good hardware but dated software!

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    10-26-11 06:27 AM
    I'm an iPhone 4 user..love it to bits. For my current needs its miles better than a Blackberry.

However, just the other day I recommended a BB curve to one of my closest friends who's been in the market for a new phone for some time. My reason for the recommendation is, he's not really a techy..I'mean REALLY not a techy...he's still using a Nokia 6230!!! which he's owned for almost 7-8 years!!! I think. I can't bare to see him carry such old tech around...lol, well I think the Curve would be a good introduction to the smartphone novice, who just wants basic facebook, whatsapp, email and occasional
    web surfing.

So, I have a BB curve 8900 knocking about, I offered it to him for some small change, so at the very least he could stay in the loop with me and the rest of our friends who are using social apps like whatsapp, facebook etc...

anyway, get this, the cheeky b*stard turned my offer down, saying after the BB outage he doesn't feel comfortable owning one! go figure.... I think he was messing with me though..

So theres your long winded answer... I don't have phone bias, I will recommend whatever I think will suit your needs best.
    10-26-11 08:05 AM
    If someone asked me for my opinion, I'd ask them what their plans were. If they wanted apps and to be able to download the new OS to their handsets every time I came out, I'd say go iPhone or Droid. If they were only wanting something to text or email on, then I'd probably say BB. I won't suggest one phone or another for a friend. It's up to them. They have to live with it, not me. I would suggest going to a retailer and playing with all the phones there to see what fits their needs best. For me, it was an iPhone. For someone else, it may be an Android or even a Jitterbug.
    10-26-11 09:19 AM
    Definitely. Depending on what the person needs

10-26-11 09:28 AM
    yes depending on their needs
    if for games etc big no
    if for a very cool smart fast browser(bb 9900 ) fone brilliant with emails and bbm
    i,d also warn them that app world is pants !!
    10-26-11 09:29 AM
    yes depending on their needs
    if for games etc big no
    if for a very cool smart fast browser(bb 9900 ) fone brilliant with emails and bbm
    i,d also warn them that app world is pants !!
    I kinda agree with you

10-26-11 09:33 AM
    I always recommend BB but I also let them know why. I tell them why it suits my needs and why I like BB so much. Yes I used a Droid for a around 2 months then I missed the stability and lots of other features of my blackberry that I had to get apps for on the Droid. I went back to my bold and sold my Droid. now I have the new 9850 and even my family members that have Iphone are like WOW that is nice. If they are only interested in apps then I tell them to get the Iphone.
    10-26-11 02:38 PM
    Absolutely, my daughter, my wife are soon to follow in my footsteps because of what they see
    10-26-11 02:50 PM
    yes I would, I bought my brother a BB Pearl for his birthday and he loves it.
    10-26-11 05:03 PM
    Wow, what a difference in polls from this one to the would you recommand a PB!
    10-26-11 06:34 PM
    Wow, what a difference in polls from this one to the would you recommand a PB!
    BB's still works well for many people. People who want a great email and messaging phone. It does that great. Works great for BES users. On the other hand, a PB is missing those same things.... email and BBM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-26-11 06:44 PM
    The only problem with the BB is RIM. I love my 9810 but I wouldn't recommend BB to my worst enemy. People want point, click, done. They don't want to hash through one problem after another. And update to fix problem only to find two more. The outage, appworld is useless, instability of OS, last years technology sold today, it has Palm written all over it. If their business plan is to go after third world market, its working because any country with options is going Android or Apple or even Windows. RIM thinks it can bank on its past acheivments forever. Just look at Palm for your answer. QNX or BBX, whatever they are going to call it, better fix stability of BB. If it doesn't, BB won't even be an option when my contract is up. Like I said, I love my BB, but RIM has no chance with their current problems. Companies that get bogged down fixing yesterday's problems can't begin to look into tomorrow's possibilities.

10-26-11 06:53 PM
    If they were wanting to use it for business, yes. For personal use, no.
    10-26-11 06:58 PM
    I would not anymore. I just think the other platforms are better and in my experience more reliable. In terms of the other 3 I would recommend, I ask their needs, desires, and experience. I also ask their carrier of choice.

Sent from my Dinc2 using Tapatalk
    steppinghorse likes this.
    10-26-11 07:21 PM
    Phone definitely. Playbook definitely not.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-26-11 08:55 PM
    My previous device was a 9700, made the move to a 9900. For me it's a no-brainer - I think the BB is the best device for messaging. That's all I use it for, I've been using 3rd party BES for years, on my own dime. My wife's previous device was a Palm Pre (geat software, but wow what awful hardware), and when she wanted to upgrade I dodnt recommend a BB, instead I suggested a Galaxy S II. She wants to play games and stuff. The other phones are better than BB at that. I told her, if you want a pure messaging machine get a BB, if yopu want a portable phone/toy, get an Android device. I never recommended the iPhone, it's a toy for teens. I stand by that. I think the BB is unsurpassed at its core tasks -- security, large scale deployment, emails, phone, SMS, task management, integration with Exchange/BES.

10-26-11 10:06 PM
    For a younger/teenage person wanting to upgrade from a feature phone to a feature phone with premium message/email capabilities, I would recommend a Blackberry. Even then, the feature phone market is still going strong, and I'm sure there feature phones that offer much cheaper alternatives to Blackberry.

For serious smartphone inquiries though, I would direct them to the iPhone or a few Android builds. The Samsung Transform Ultra is now available pay as you go on Boost, that is a great deal for full smartphone functionality.
    10-26-11 11:04 PM
    First off, thank you to all who have participated in the poll so far. This just goes to show that RIM and the Blackberry smartphones are not dead in the water. I want to go back to the dark side to support my Canadian companies.

Secondly, why do individuals refer the iPhone as a toy? Just because you can play games on it? There are just as many games, fart apps, and the like on Android, so why aren't they considered toys?

I happen to be a 36 year old with two kids at home that owns an iPhone 4. I don't have a single fart app and a grand total of 9 games on the device. I personally can't stand playing games on the device with the touch controls, I am used to having actual buttons to press and d-pads to control the character.
    10-27-11 10:51 AM
    First off, thank you to all who have participated in the poll so far. This just goes to show that RIM and the Blackberry smartphones are not dead in the water. I want to go back to the dark side to support my Canadian companies.

Secondly, why do individuals refer the iPhone as a toy? Just because you can play games on it? There are just as many games, fart apps, and the like on Android, so why aren't they considered toys?

I happen to be a 36 year old with two kids at home that owns an iPhone 4. I don't have a single fart app and a grand total of 9 games on the device. I personally can't stand playing games on the device with the touch controls, I am used to having actual buttons to press and d-pads to control the character.
    It is fanboy speak. iPhones are toys, while BBs are for grown-ups because of their functionality. It's the BB fanboy company line, and about the only line that many of them know.
    10-27-11 11:00 AM
    Sure. My current is running great after 2 years of near constant use.
    10-27-11 11:05 AM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD