I read an article on Crackberry's sister site AndroidCentral and it looks like Apple might just open up their keyboard API to let third party developers create alternate keyboards for the iPhone and iPads. The first one to be on-board looks to be Swiftkey. If I was still an iPhone user this would have excited me as I hated typing on an iPhone. I have had a very brief experience with SwiftKey while testing out a demo of the HTC One at a Best Buy. That keyboard is pretty cool.

The touchscreen keyboard on the Z10 is awesome, I love flicking up the words while typing out a text or email. However, in my opinion there is nothing wrong with having options available to the end user. Whether they use it or not is a different story.
    Do you think BlackBerry would open to the possibility of opening up their keyboard api to outside development?
    06-07-13 09:49 AM
    I'm a HUGE Swiftkey fan, and frankly I think the BB10 version is nothing short of amazing. It takes most of the things I like about Swiftkey and improves them. Going back to Swiftkey on my Nexus actually seems awkward sometimes. There are two features from Swiftkey I'd love to see on the BB10 keyboard, though:

1. Flow
    2. Customizeable haptic feedback
    BBPandy and shaleem like this.
    06-07-13 09:54 AM
    That would be a downgrade from the stock BB10 keyboard.
    06-07-13 09:55 AM
    Not me personally, because I view alternate keyboards as potential huge security risks. The last thing anyone needs is keylogging and sending info out. Now I realize any predictive keyboard has to do keylogging, but I assume (hope) the BB one locks it down, and is smart enough to not log password fields. I'm not saying SwiftKey or anyone else does this, but BB couldn't afford the hit to its reputation to be found doing anything like that.
    Last edited by Kriilin Namek; 06-07-13 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity
    bluetroll and Bobcat665 like this.
    06-07-13 09:57 AM
    I'd actually be curious to see SwiftKey vs the stock keyboard, since the BB10 VKB apparently uses SwiftKey technology.
    06-07-13 10:20 AM
    Not me personally, because I view alternate keyboards as potential huge security risks. The last thing anyone needs is keylogging and sending info out. Now I realize any predictive keyboard has to do keylogging, but I assume (hope) the BB one locks it down, and is smart enough to not log password fields. I'm not saying SwiftKey or anyone else does this, but BB couldn't afford the hit to its reputation to be found doing anything like that.
    I think Swiftkey is pretty safe. As a company, they would have a LOT at stake if they were found doing anything sinister with their data, especially since they're branching out and offering solutions for some highly classified fields like healthcare:

SwiftKey Healthcare - fast, accurate EMR note-taking for iPads and tablets
    06-07-13 10:27 AM
    The BB10 keyboard is a modified version of swiftkey.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-13 10:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    Was about to say that.
    BlackBerry 10 keyboard is built by SwiftKey

Posted via CB10
    06-07-13 12:52 PM
    I would love BBY to open up kbd api so I could install another keyboard app. Not because I don't like Z10 kbd but BB10 doesn't support Japanese input! I hate using another app to type up text then copy & past them I want to install shimeji kbd.
    Masahiro likes this.
    06-08-13 08:27 PM
    The swift keyboard is too tall for my taste and the small one is too small. The blackberry keyboard is the best out there. It shows the key letters without symbols showing which I love

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 08:44 PM
    The swift keyboard is too tall for my taste and the small one is too small. The blackberry keyboard is the best out there. It shows the key letters without symbols showing which I love

Posted via CB10
    That's actually something that I miss! I liked seeing the symbols on the buttons and long pressing them to get that symbol instead of searching for it in a menu.
    06-09-13 09:48 AM
    Was about to say that.

Posted via CB10
    Really???? I thought SwiftKey was owned by Android??? I didn't know that about BB10's virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 11:35 AM
    Was about to say that.

Posted via CB10
    Why would we need a swiftkey keyboard?? BB licensed swiftkey.Modified it and made the best virtual keyboard on phones.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    06-09-13 12:10 PM
    I'd actually be curious to see SwiftKey vs the stock keyboard, since the BB10 VKB apparently uses SwiftKey technology.
    Having used both I would probably give the edge to swift key due to flow/swiping. The top virtual keyboards IMO are 1.swiftkey 2.z10/google keyboard. 3.ios/winmo

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    06-09-13 12:17 PM
    Really???? I thought SwiftKey was owned by Android??? I didn't know that about BB10's virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    SwiftKey is a virtual keyboard made by a 3rd party developer, not Google.

About that new BlackBerry 10 keyboard | Android Central
    pantlesspenguin and Bobcat665 like this.
    06-09-13 12:34 PM
    I prefer BB10 keyboard over Swift

CB10 on Verizon Z10
    06-09-13 12:54 PM
    I'd also like to see Flow as an option on the Z10 keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin and jrdba like this.
    06-09-13 01:22 PM
    Personally, I use Swiftkey on my Samsung GS3 and I don't think it has anything on the Z10 keyboard. Although, I see some like the "flow" mode that Swiftkey offers.
    06-09-13 06:23 PM
    My husband admired my Z10 keyboard so much that he downloaded Swiftkey for his G3.
    I love this keyboard and don't know that I'd change it. Love it!!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 06:29 PM
    Yes, I understand that, but BB could just be using some core functionality, or doing something different like storing keystrokes encrypted, etc. It doesn't mean the BB version is identical to what they do for others. I don't distrust Swiftkey, but I'm more comfortable using a version that's associated with BB.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 06:31 PM
    I was also going to say that the bb keyboard was built with Swiftkey's technology, buy people already said it.

I just wish the stock BlackBerry keyboard had ARROWS, or at least an option to turn It on. I hate moving the cursor with that freaking blue hubble. Absolutely hate it. I wish there were arrows. I know jow to over one space with that bubble but it's still so dang clumsy and I can't control that bubble very well. ARROWS, people!!

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 08:44 PM
    I'd also like to see Flow as an option on the Z10 keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Oh lord I miss Flow...

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 09:31 PM
    No.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 09:48 PM
    Oh lord I miss Flow...

Posted via CB10
    Especially when we know that SwiftKey has the AI to implement it...

Or did you mean Flo from Progressive Insurance?

Posted via CB10
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-13-13 02:19 PM
    Snort.

Never Flo.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 11:03 PM
33 12