View Poll Results: Would you give up the slimness of your device for better battery life?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES...(please explain)

21 61.76%
  • NO...(please explain)

13 38.24%
06-21-10 06:19 PM
40 12
tools
    I rather my phone last 3 days without charging it then the appearance of the phone.
    Charging your phone while you sleep is that rough that you would rather add bulk to your device and limit the number of available accessories for it just to avoid it?

This is no way anything person, just boggles my mind that people are so against charging the thing at night, if it makes it through all my time away from the charger, then I am good. I can leave it plugged in all the rest of the time without a worry or care in the world.
    06-20-10 03:53 PM
    I voted yes, I fully understand the original posts meaning..
    I voted yes also; however, I still believe that we need better batteries, not bigger batteries.
    06-20-10 03:53 PM
    I do not disagree that a better battery would be best, but second best would be what the original poster posed, it was only a moderate increase,,
    06-20-10 04:07 PM
    Voted no. Although I am a very heavy user I don't try squeezing a day of battery
    life out of my phone. I charge the thing as often as possible, as it was designed to be.
    I would agree with you but it also depends how thin/thick the phones are. I wouldn't mind a newer phone being a little thicker to get more hours of battery life. I actually want phones to start getting thicker because most of them are too thin. My Droid is very thin itself - so thin that I always have a case on it. Now the iPhone 4 is coming out and it's half as thick - even thinner than the other models.
    06-20-10 04:34 PM
    I would, not only for a larger battery, but because the phones are getting so thin now that they are really awkward and difficult to hold on to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 04:40 PM
    I had the seidio extended battery on my 8330 curve. As far as battery life goes...it was nearly unstoppable. I am definitely a heavy daily user. I manage a team in the field. I spend HOURS every day talking on the phone. I get a hundred emails a day. I surf the web on my berry 20 times a day...weather, maps, etc... I use the calculator, and these are all "work related" after work I listen to music, watch nfl network, iheart radio, read the news...

I know this may seem like a lot to some...like a slow day to others. Being "in the field " I am often away from the office and sometimes even away from the truck...the original curve battery would never last a whole day or even close. The seidio did yoemans work. I used the heck out of it and it never gave up...

But...it definitely added some bulk. It was a trade off I was willing to make. Size for endurance. But it didn't fit as smoothly in the pocket and none of the cases fit it. Consequently it took quite a beating. By the time i retired it for the bold 9650 it was badly scarred. I have an otterbox I already love, but the stock battery does not have the juice to make it through my day. The bold being already a bigger phone, adding the bigger battery is a tough choice. I don't want to carry a 4 pound brick around all day (of COURSE I'm exaggerating). But you get the point...

So for now I have to learn to be more diligent about regular charging when I can. Sooner or later it will become enough of an annoyance that I will break down and buy the big battery. (I'm still kicking around the idea of the OEM size battery from seidio but have no experience with it. I'm not sure if it will save me one charge a day in which case I would buy it )...

The problem with users like me is we want to utilize our phones as do it all devices. With the big battery I could. Something to ponder. I know this seems a schizophrenic response...but I haven't found a suitable answer yet.

-db
    06-20-10 04:49 PM
    Completely off topic and I beg all of your forgiveness but

Daddybear, how the h3ll have you been?
    06-20-10 05:32 PM
    Haha. Hey AG...I started hanging around a while ago waiting patiently for the vzw bold. I have been out of the cb loop for a while. About two weeks ago I fell off a roof and shattered my arm in about six places...leaves lots of time to cruise CB (left handed of course)...

My bb is now completely UNDERused As I am on Medical leave. Send me a pm we can catch up. Sorry to the OP for the minor hijack...continue discussing amongst yourselves..

-db
    06-20-10 06:12 PM
    Voted NO. I charge it frequently and it is serving me right.

I bought the 8900 coz the 9000 was a bit big ( plus other factors )
    06-20-10 06:23 PM
    Voted no; I don't want a massive device. I like the size of my S2, not too big or small. Pearl 130 was a bit small, but had better battery life (mine did, I mean).

Charging your phone while you sleep is that rough that you would rather add bulk to your device and limit the number of available accessories for it just to avoid it?

This is no way anything person, just boggles my mind that people are so against charging the thing at night, if it makes it through all my time away from the charger, then I am good. I can leave it plugged in all the rest of the time without a worry or care in the world.
    I actually shut mine off to charge at night even. (GASP)
    I know about bedside mode; but my old 8130 didn't have that so it's more to make my wife feel better - she knows if there's an orange blinking or solid green that it's powered down.
    Last edited by genomos; 06-20-10 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Added vote.
    06-20-10 06:35 PM
    Voted no. Although I am a very heavy user I don't try squeezing a day of battery
    life out of my phone. I charge the thing as often as possible, as it was designed to be.
    I voted yes

I am a Mobile Smartphone user, Heavy use, I need a smart phone because I am away from the ability to plug in, or to use a notebook, as it was designed to be

getting that crack out of the way,
    IF I could have the option to buy a phone with my chosen feature set but be 2mm thicker to double the battery life, I'd so go for it, but I want a case that can go with it, I use an otterbox as being in the field a lot risks the safety of my device, I cant get an extended battery into an otterbox so I'm stuck OEM, next I need a solar charger!
    06-20-10 06:36 PM
    I have to disagree with you, I don't think when it was designed, the manufacturer had it in mind that the way to use the device is to keep it on the charger constantly...that defeat the purpose of having a "MOBILE" phone...what it is is that they are trying to cram sleekness and thinnest (aka style) before function, and thus where we're at right now is a compromise between both...

These devices started as a phone first, and they are marketed as a mobile phone before anything else...yes I can get an aftermarket battery, but they are not made to go with the style of the phone (and yes, I said style)...now, if the manufacturer comes out with an optional extended battery with a flush back cover (instead of a brick hump) that will run with the line of the phone, and you have options to buy skins, etc. to fit it, then I'm also all for that...
    BlackBerry's started out as two way pagers, actually. Phone came later.

I guess an idea is: the manufacturer design the phone where the entire battery pack IS the back cover (instead of a small removeable battery and cover it with a back cover) so they can cram in as much juice as possible in that 4"x2.5" (or whatever the length and width of your entire phone is) + that box where the battery actually goes...u get the idea...kinda like this old Sanyo SCP-5300:

I love this idea, I had a Sanyo 4920 and the battery was the back cover. With as many battery pulls as we all do, it'd be a simple thing to pop the cover off and reboot. Also memory card removal would be "no mistake" as the phone would be off with the battery out. (duh)

Sanyo 4920
    06-20-10 06:42 PM
    Are there cases or skins made for the Bold that will accommodate the extra width of the extended life battery door? I can't find one anywhere. I had to cut out the back of a rubber case for my previous phone. Anybody???
    06-21-10 06:07 PM
    The curve 8900 I have has plenty of battery life, and I very much like its pocketable size which was a deciding factor against the bold 9000 at the time of purchase. I can get two to three days of work with it...
    06-21-10 06:11 PM
    Are there cases or skins made for the Bold that will accommodate the extra width of the extended life battery door? I can't find one anywhere. I had to cut out the back of a rubber case for my previous phone. Anybody???
    Might try the Crackberry store, usually has a good selection.
    06-21-10 06:19 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD