View Poll Results: Would you give up the slimness of your device for better battery life?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES...(please explain)

21 61.76%
  • NO...(please explain)

13 38.24%
    I'm surprised that there's not a phone out there not a segment of "BEST BATTERY LIFE SMARTPHONE" out there...and then manufacturers would put longer lasting battery life near the top of their list and they all go out and compete to see who can last the longest, and then soon after "LONGEST AND SLIMMEST" etc...

With your current phone right now, would you forfeit a slight thinnest, say add another 1 or 2 mm to your phone in exchange for say an extra DAY of battery life?

I've returned many phones because they just simply don't last...I wish they would just make a phone that can last TWO days on moderate to heavy used...then I can heavy use my phone and know in the back of my mind, and have PEACE OF MIND that my phone won't let me know because I can't plug it in....devices like the Palm Pre and HTC EVO are GREAT devices...however, their major drawback is battery performance....if somehow manufacturers can juice out, say an extra 12 hours, off of their battery by adding a slight thickness to the device, I'm all for it...I don't mind a heavy phone...I love my Blackberry, but I would love it so much more if I can have the peace of mind that I can go 2 days without having to worry about plugging the device in....I'm not saying I would go two days..just like I said above, I would just knowing I have that peace of mind to use my phone heavy during the day...
    06-20-10 11:37 AM
    Voted no. Although I am a very heavy user I don't try squeezing a day of battery
    life out of my phone. I charge the thing as often as possible, as it was designed to be.
    06-20-10 11:44 AM
    You could just get the Seidio extended battery pack.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 11:48 AM
    I would not be willing for the simple reason, I have charger's at my desk for work & personal BB as well. I also spend a lot of time on the road which mean's I also have 2 car charger's as well as a charger for my Bluetooth. While I have on rare occasion ran a battery down, I have never drained one, yes I routinely flip through my app's & spend a lot of time browsing, it's just never been an issue with me.
    06-20-10 11:51 AM
    Voted no. Although I am a very heavy user I don't try squeezing a day of battery
    life out of my phone. I charge the thing as often as possible, as it was designed to be.
    Couldn't have said it better myself, although I do use the Seidio 1700mAh battery because at times I just don't have a charger handy and its better safe then sorry for me.
    06-20-10 11:53 AM
    I voted yes; I consider myself a heavy user. Keeping my BlackBerry on charge is generally not possible so I prefer knowing that I have additional power for those frequent off-site tasks.

Innocell 2700mAh Extended Life Battery
    i voted yes. i use my BlackBerry outdoors often (geocaching, music while running, GPS, camping etc) not near a charging source. i will probably get a solar charger soon.
    I charge the thing as often as possible, as it was designed to be.
    I have to disagree with you, I don't think when it was designed, the manufacturer had it in mind that the way to use the device is to keep it on the charger constantly...that defeat the purpose of having a "MOBILE" phone...what it is is that they are trying to cram sleekness and thinnest (aka style) before function, and thus where we're at right now is a compromise between both...

These devices started as a phone first, and they are marketed as a mobile phone before anything else...yes I can get an aftermarket battery, but they are not made to go with the style of the phone (and yes, I said style)...now, if the manufacturer comes out with an optional extended battery with a flush back cover (instead of a brick hump) that will run with the line of the phone, and you have options to buy skins, etc. to fit it, then I'm also all for that...

I guess an idea is: the manufacturer design the phone where the entire battery pack IS the back cover (instead of a small removeable battery and cover it with a back cover) so they can cram in as much juice as possible in that 4"x2.5" (or whatever the length and width of your entire phone is) + that box where the battery actually goes...u get the idea...kinda like this old Sanyo SCP-5300:

06-20-10 01:16 PM
    I have to disagree with you, I don't think when it was designed, the manufacturer had it in mind that the way to use the device is to keep it on the charger constantly...that defeat the purpose of having a "MOBILE" phone..
    What you are failing to understand is the underlying technology of the Li-Ion
    battery. It is not designed to be run down. IT IS designed to be charged
    frequently.

Nothing about this "defeats the purpose of having a mobile phone." I never said
    "keep it on the charger constantly." What I said was charge it whenever you
    have the ability to.

If battery life is so much an issue may I suggest an extended battery or a Fuel Cell case.
    06-20-10 01:21 PM
    Voted no. I use an iPhone and I wouldn't give that up for better battery life. I
    constantly am charging the thing. At home, at work, or even driving. That way
    when I'm somewhere where I can't charge I have some charge already. Keep that
    battery as topped off as possible. That's how they keep a charge instead of letting
    them drain and fully charging.
    06-20-10 01:35 PM
    The real issue is the fact that battery technology has not evolved quickly enough to support the advances in smartphones. RIM, Apple, Motorola, HTC, Nokia, and the other phone manufacturers need to work with the companies that manufacture batteries. We are at the stage where Li-ion is becoming near obsolete, as Ni-Cd became several years ago. It is time for a new battery technology.
    06-20-10 01:52 PM
    Yes, and did so with the Seidio Innocell 3500.

06-20-10 01:59 PM
    What you are failing to understand is the underlying technology of the Li-Ion
    battery. It is not designed to be run down. IT IS designed to be charged
    frequently.

Nothing about this "defeats the purpose of having a mobile phone." I never said
    "keep it on the charger constantly." What I said was charge it whenever you
    have the ability to.

If battery life is so much an issue may I suggest an extended battery or a Fuel Cell case.
    I never said running down the battery...if the battery can last for 2 days, and u charge it every day, you're not running it down...instead, you have peace of mind when you have to be on the run constantly and be in different places where you can't set your phone down for more than 10 minutes...I bought my smartphone to be a business device, something I can use for all it's application and be a MOBILE device to my computer at work/home...my original post was to say that it would be nice to have peace of mind knowing that your PDA/phone will last for you during your busy business day...

true I can carry around a fuel cell case, but that would be an extra bulk in my pocket....and yes, I can get an extended battery, but then again, this is what this entire thread is about: making a longer lasting battery by giving up a little size...

if you are looking for a device for fun and toy, then of course you won't mind charging...but I bought mine for business and personal...during the day, it's business, and HEAVY business use...after I'm off, it's personal/business...and that is why I have returned both the HTC Evo and Palm Pre, cuz I'm constantly on my phone and texting and sending/responding to emails on the run, and writing memos on my phone...I'm using my smartphone for what it is..
    06-20-10 02:05 PM
    The real issue is the fact that battery technology has not evolved quickly enough to support the advances in smartphones. RIM, Apple, Motorola, HTC, Nokia, and the other phone manufacturers need to work with the companies that manufacture batteries. We are at the stage where Li-ion is becoming near obsolete, as Ni-Cd became several years ago. It is time for a new battery technology.
    bingo.....
    06-20-10 02:06 PM
    I had an extended battery on my old 8900 and i used it heavily. It was bulky but the battery life was out of this world I lasted 4 days on average without charging my phone. I say its worth it.
    06-20-10 02:07 PM
    Yes I would. Battery is a major keypoint for me.

06-20-10 02:09 PM
    i hav the curve 8900 and ii honestly think that its actually TOO thin!! plus the battery life sucks, and i don't even have BIS or BES! i couldnt imagine what it must be like with the data plan
    06-20-10 02:24 PM
    I never said running down the battery...if the battery can last for 2 days, and u charge it every day, you're not running it down...instead, you have peace of mind when you have to be on the run constantly and be in different places where you can't set your phone down for more than 10 minutes...I bought my smartphone to be a business device, something I can use for all it's application and be a MOBILE device to my computer at work/home...my original post was to say that it would be nice to have peace of mind knowing that your PDA/phone will last for you during your busy business day...
    ...and it will if you take care of the battery as it is intended to be.

I am also a business user (Municipal Finance) and a Volunteer Firefighter
    (Captain.) I rely on both of my phones to be able to do my work and manage
    my personal life. Part of that is knowing AND accepting the limitations inherent to both.
    Even with a bigger battery you would still face the same constraints.

I have never been handicapped by having to charge either device during the
    day and I spend a considerable amount of time out of my office.
    06-20-10 02:25 PM
    Wondering how you can claim a battery type to be obsolete when there is nothing cutting edge that is found in EVERY other device, and RIM is the only one not using it.

Did I miss something here?
    06-20-10 02:28 PM
    Wondering how you can claim a battery type to be obsolete when there is nothing cutting edge that is found in EVERY other device, and RIM is the only one not using it.

Did I miss something here?
    I am saying it is becoming obsolete. A new battery technology needs to be invented soon to support the massive usage that the current and forthcoming smartphones use. We are probably near the limit of what Li-ion batteries are able to support.
    06-20-10 02:32 PM
    I rather my phone last 3 days without charging it then the appearance of the phone.
    06-20-10 02:35 PM
    I am saying it is becoming obsolete. A new battery technology needs to be invented soon to support the massive usage that the current and forthcoming smartphones use. We are probably near the limit of what Li-ion batteries are able to support.
    I would have to disagree - I don't think they have fully tapped the well on this one yet. They are constantly improving, making longer lasting batteries in smaller casings. Look at what Seidio has brought to the table for us so far. Carriers don't package those with the device to keep cost down, it will always be that way, but I dont think Li-ION is anywhere near "obsolete" at this point.
    06-20-10 02:36 PM
    I would have to disagree - I don't think they have fully tapped the well on this one yet. They are constantly improving, making longer lasting batteries in smaller casings. Look at what Seidio has brought to the table for us so far. Carriers don't package those with the device to keep cost down, it will always be that way, but I dont think Li-ION is anywhere near "obsolete" at this point.
    Smartphone batteries need 'breakthrough' - Communications - News

New Material May Replace The Lithium Ion Battery - Blog.AutoShopper.com
    06-20-10 02:48 PM
    I voted yes, I fully understand the original posts meaning..
    06-20-10 02:50 PM
    Both links are just "could" things, neither of them are saying its in the works or ANYWHERE near a consumer level at this point. Even once a new technology is rolled out to consumers, not all MFG will adapt instantly, it will take YEARS until we see anything of such as the norm.
    06-20-10 02:51 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD