Well, Amazon did, didn't they?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Amazon neither manufactures phones or develops them, sir. The Kindle is a device made to emulate the appearance of text printed on paper, and as such, does not demand color display.

Unless french vanilla is a highly sought-after virtual paper color.
    12-20-10 04:59 PM
    I made the mistake of showing up the IT department my first week with the company, most of my collegues don't know much beyond power on, open Lotus notes, use Office apps,

I wrote batch files to do mundain terminal tasks that usually get done over hours to run ever 30 min so I had "live data" and it over loaded the network, so they learned to lock me out, and then to lock me out better.

LOL, That's funny. Yea, they've caught onto most of the stuff i've done. But nothing really breaks the mold that they have set up.

The one thing they cannot figure out is how i can automatically use my phone as a modem via USB ports instead of using their CAT5e Networking cable.
    12-20-10 04:59 PM
    I would be more willing to carry a charger and/or a spare battery over giving up color for a bit more battery life.

An option to underclock a processor when a lot of idle or light use is expected would be handy but I wouldn't want a grayscale screen.
    I totally would!
    12-21-10 03:58 AM
    No. Not only no, but no, bloddy H3LL, no!!!!!

Not giving up colour. Or Flash.

12-21-10 12:09 PM
    I get by fine on 2 days. I have no need to read in grayscale to get better battery life.

Just not worth it IMO..even if it was a week long charge.

Now a month, maybe, lol!

12-21-10 10:01 PM
    The OP is high! Lol

Seriously, only Mike would think this way.

12-21-10 10:05 PM
    The OP is high! Lol

Seriously, only Mike would think this way.

Lol, at least I'm not the only one that would go for this, I was worried for a while there
    I'm sure the electronic ink technology will evolve into colour and maybe make it into phones eventually. There has to be a point where smartphones will turn towards energy efficiency, maybe if somebody comes up with an energy rating for them manufacturers will start competing on it

12-22-10 01:18 AM
    The reason why the Kindle can go for weeks without being charged is that the e-ink display is not only grayscale, it's also not luminous in any way. Like paper, you need light shining on it to see it. The only time a Kindle uses current is when you turn the page, or when you use the wireless to download or sync. When it's just sitting there, showing a page of text, it's using almost none.

My first SideKick was grayscale, but the screen was still a light source, so it still needed plenty of electricity to run. Compared to current generation phone and computer screens, e-ink displays update very slowly. It's not a problem when you're just turning the page of a book. The screen goes blank for a short but visible interval, and then refills. I think we have very different expectations for web browsing, messaging, etc. An e-ink mobile phone would be DOA. It remains to be seen whether e-ink technology will actually have a future in e-books. Many people like it, but plenty are just as happy to read on a tablet computer or something similar.

Off-topic note on an earlier off-topic question: The reason why Brits and Canadians put a 'u' in words like "colour" and "honour" is that they weren't (as) affected by Noah Webster's spelling reforms in 1829. He was American, and didn't have much influence outside the US. In short, prior to Webster, everybody used what we in the US now think of as the "British spellings."

But why did the Brits get rid of "gotten".......
    12-22-10 07:55 AM
    Off-topic note on an earlier off-topic question: The reason why Brits and Canadians put a 'u' in words like "colour" and "honour" is that they weren't (as) affected by Noah Webster's spelling reforms in 1829. He was American, and didn't have much influence outside the US. In short, prior to Webster, everybody used what we in the US now think of as the "British spellings."

But why did the Brits get rid of "gotten".......

Off-Topic

not entirely true, as you will find Color and Honor in Early 1700 British written texts, though the "Kings Spelling" was with the U, ( my father was a British History major, we've had these discussions before )
    Though Webster did influence the US, while Oxford influences England, and the English Colonies.
    12-22-10 03:10 PM
    Off-Topic

not entirely true, as you will find Color and Honor in Early 1700 British written texts, though the "Kings Spelling" was with the U, ( my father was a British History major, we've had these discussions before )
    Though Webster did influence the US, while Oxford influences England, and the English Colonies.
    ALL the spellings are good with me--I spent over 3 years in England, as a kid. AAMOF, when I returned form there, I had to learn about US coins. LOL! I didn't know a dime from a nickle until I got a crash course.
    12-22-10 03:27 PM
85 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD