Interestingly enough Android users who have rooted their device can run an app called set CPU which allows overclocking, and also allows under clocking. I'm considering doing that, as I'm sure it would save battery life to set it to underclock significantly with the device idle, etc.

I don't suspect BB will ever have such an option though, as it gives users too much control over the device and RIM wouldn't like that...
    I don't suspect BB's ever will have that control either,
    I could not see any IT department wanting to launch a phone that had the ability to overheat,

Laptop BIOS's in the 90's/Early 2000's were all LOCKED DOWN so you couldn't overclock due to heat, I think the smartphone market SHOULD remain that way for primary devices, I overclocked my desktop for years, basically until liquid cooling was the only option left to me, I can't see liquid cooling my mobile phone.

I can see RIM and Apple both creating software controlled underclocking, changing the multiplier and/or dropping the FSB, when the phone isn't under load, I thought, though it could have been a rumour page that the Playbook was planned to run on a underclocked core while on idle, to extend battery life, same idea as Trucks that Run 4Cyl 6Cyl 8Cyl depending on your driving.
    12-20-10 07:38 AM
    No way would i on purpose give up a color screen.

How ever the nice thing about new Cyanogen(mod) ROMs for androids give you an option to run a monochromatic type of screen in case you get really low on battery levels you can switch over.

NOW with that being said if manufacturer gave you that option i would love it. That way when i know i am going to be the car for a while and i put my phone in "car mode" i can switch to a monochromatic screen so if i need to call someone, i'm not draining the battery with my screen being all bright and beautiful.
    12-20-10 07:48 AM
    I don't suspect BB's ever will have that control either,
    I could not see any IT department wanting to launch a phone that had the ability to overheat,

Laptop BIOS's in the 90's/Early 2000's were all LOCKED DOWN so you couldn't overclock due to heat, I think the smartphone market SHOULD remain that way for primary devices, I overclocked my desktop for years, basically until liquid cooling was the only option left to me, I can't see liquid cooling my mobile phone.

I can see RIM and Apple both creating software controlled underclocking, changing the multiplier and/or dropping the FSB, when the phone isn't under load, I thought, though it could have been a rumour page that the Playbook was planned to run on a underclocked core while on idle, to extend battery life, same idea as Trucks that Run 4Cyl 6Cyl 8Cyl depending on your driving.
    Voltage has a lot to do with it to. When I still used my Droid, I had it clocked up to 1.2GHz with and ultra low voltage kernel. The device stock is clocked at 550Mhz. That is 2x the original clock speed. I barely had a temperature increase unless I was watching/playing intense flash media or games. These mobile processors are a lot more capable than many people realize.
    Last edited by avt123; 12-20-10 at 08:25 AM.
    12-20-10 07:51 AM
    Voltage has a lot to do with it to. When I still used my Droid, I had it clocked up to 1.2GHz with and ultra low voltage kernel. The device stock is clocked at 55Mhz. That is 2x the original clock speed. I barely had a temperature increase unless I was watching/playing intense flash media or games. These mobile processors are a lot more capable than many people realize.
    I am sure they are much more capable,

Under what load are you running at 1.2Ghz? if it isn't getting hot @ 1.2Ghz because you still are running a fair 700mhz load that isn't all that impressive, as clearly the device isn't working hard, but if you're clocking to 1.2Ghz because you need the speed, which should be the reason to clock, and you are not experiencing heat, I'm impressed,

as a "geek phone" the Android can't be beat, just like I LOVED Abit motherboards, never did I put them in family computers because of the added cost, but my personal ones I did, because I was geeking out on it, overclocking, adding cooling to North/South bridges and jut tinkering if it crashed for an afternoon it wasn't mission critical,
    I look at Android very much in that way, if I was in University again I'd have my secondary phone as an Android, because I had time to tinker with it, and play, but my work demands enough of my time using devices that work all the time. giving people SU power on a smartphone in mainstream isn't the smart thing to do, just like you don't set up an average user as Administrator on their Windows PC you set them up a guest account.
    12-20-10 08:11 AM
    I am sure they are much more capable,

Under what load are you running at 1.2Ghz? if it isn't getting hot @ 1.2Ghz because you still are running a fair 700mhz load that isn't all that impressive, as clearly the device isn't working hard, but if you're clocking to 1.2Ghz because you need the speed, which should be the reason to clock, and you are not experiencing heat, I'm impressed,

as a "geek phone" the Android can't be beat, just like I LOVED Abit motherboards, never did I put them in family computers because of the added cost, but my personal ones I did, because I was geeking out on it, overclocking, adding cooling to North/South bridges and jut tinkering if it crashed for an afternoon it wasn't mission critical,
    I look at Android very much in that way, if I was in University again I'd have my secondary phone as an Android, because I had time to tinker with it, and play, but my work demands enough of my time using devices that work all the time. giving people SU power on a smartphone in mainstream isn't the smart thing to do, just like you don't set up an average user as Administrator on their Windows PC you set them up a guest account.
    Running at 1.2GHz I only saw a slight increase of heat. It depends on how intense the application or whatever I was doing was until it saw a noticeable increase in temp. I of course did have profiles for my CPU as well to clock at certain speeds for certain situations.

And you are correct, SU for the mainstream is not smart. No Android device comes that way. You have to make it that way. It is just nice to have the option for those who know how to handle it. If QNX has that option (that can be achieved by user intervention), I can see a lot of tech savvy people being extremely happy.
    12-20-10 08:31 AM
    just like you don't set up an average user as Administrator on their Windows PC you set them up a guest account.
    Yea but if you know what you are doing to can change that "guest account" to admin privileged status....

just saying
    12-20-10 08:35 AM
    Yea but if you know what you are doing to can change that "guest account" to admin privileged status....

just saying
    Not on a corporate device,
    You should be locked out from everything with no method of cerumventing it,
    There is a market for SU access, and Android is that Market, the main stream which is what RIM should be targetting, and is targetting don't need SU access, and IT departments worth their reputations don't want devices that can have SU access on the network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-10 08:50 AM
    Android is targeting the mainstream as well. QNX allowing (or the user finding a possible way) to achieve SU access can take users away from Android. A lot of former BB users would be the biggest target.
    12-20-10 08:55 AM
    Not on a corporate device,
    You should be locked out from everything with no method of cerumventing it,
    There is a market for SU access, and Android is that Market, the main stream which is what RIM should be targetting, and is targetting don't need SU access, and IT departments worth their reputations don't want devices that can have SU access on the network.

On A corporate device. YES! I did it on my work computer so i can remote access my work computer via WYSE PocketCloud. I changed my "user" account to the admin group so i can use the remote access. Fairly simple if you ask me.
    12-20-10 08:59 AM
    Unfortunately keeping my 9700 in grayscale only seems to improve browser rendering, not such a positive effect on battery life although I did use it a lot more today, lots of browsing and some gps navigating. I'll have to try it another day to get a better idea.
    Must be more to do with the kindle screen technology itself but that screen will be available in colour in the near future, some even expected it this christmas.

12-20-10 10:00 AM
    It looks like I'm one of the very few who would give up colour on a BB for major extended Battery Life
    Using your logic, why not just get a dumb phone? the batteries last far longer than any smartphone. I could go 5 days on my LG.
    12-20-10 10:11 AM
    Just wondering how many people here would give up colour in exchange for a kindle style gray scale screen and much much longer battery life. That screen would only need back light in the darkest conditions. I would seriously consider it, how about you?

That would be radical, on how sharp and smooth the fonts can be, I would love a screen like that on my blackberry. It would have to be able to have a refresh rate of 60-80Hz because of video playback. But other than that, it's less prone to damage.

12-20-10 10:20 AM
    Using your logic, why not just get a dumb phone? the batteries last far longer than any smartphone. I could go 5 days on my LG.
    You got his logic all wrong, he, just like myself, wants to keep using his existing blackberry communications features for a lot longer at the expense of colour display.

12-20-10 10:22 AM
    You got his logic all wrong, he, just like myself, wants to keep using his existing blackberry communications features for a lot longer at the expense of colour display.

baloney. he wants what he can't have--a smartphone with great battery life. get real--no smartphone on the market gets fantastically long battery life.
    12-20-10 10:26 AM
    baloney. he wants what he can't have--a smartphone with great battery life. get real--no smartphone on the market gets fantastically long battery life.
    Exactly

I want a Smartphone with rediculusly long battery life, and would gladly sacrafice colour to get it,
    I want a qwerty device that can get my emails pushed to me, and allow me to reply quickly, I want PIN messaging with D/R notification when sending important messages to coworkers,
    I have no need for Colour on my 9300, though I do have a need for 100 emails between charges, currently I get about 40 emails between charges typed out. I'll probably wait for my new budget in 2011 and buy an extended battery, but I just was answering the OP saying I would gladly give up colour on my 9300 if it could more than double my battery life

12-20-10 11:08 AM
    On A corporate device. YES! I did it on my work computer so i can remote access my work computer via WYSE PocketCloud. I changed my "user" account to the admin group so i can use the remote access. Fairly simple if you ask me.

Your IT department is much nicer to you than to me, I must VPN to update any software including firefox or my anti virus, there is no changing my user permissions or getting remote access, I don't even get access to my system clock. I have a seperate program on my desktop to use when I change time zones,

12-20-10 11:14 AM
    RIM has already made what you're looking for. I think its the BB 950.

12-20-10 11:32 AM

Again, I have to stress what I am proposing is not an old type grayscale display but a kindle like display which whilst it is grayscale, it's also beautiful to look at, it's amazingly clear if you ask me.

12-20-10 11:50 AM
    no way. i like colors.
    12-20-10 01:22 PM

Don't like the keyboard, nor the Screen resolution, or side thumb wheel.

Technology has advanced enough to make a great grey scale device
    It will never exist because the market for it is too small, but I would probably pay $700 out of contract if it did

12-20-10 01:43 PM
    I just got an old 7230 in the post, I bought it on ebay for �5.19 well, it was supposed to be a 7290 but for the price I can't argue and I'll just keep it. It is colour but you don't need the backlight unless it's dark. Away to play with it, little amuses the innocent, I know lol

12-20-10 03:05 PM
    Your IT department is much nicer to you than to me, I must VPN to update any software including firefox or my anti virus, there is no changing my user permissions or getting remote access, I don't even get access to my system clock. I have a seperate program on my desktop to use when I change time zones,

Either that, or being the field i work in they don't think we know how to do what we do.
    12-20-10 03:15 PM
    Monochromatic LCDs on the small scale are not significantly less costly to manufacture than color screens; so there is no financial incentive for companies to step backwards. An insignificant number of consumers would prefer monochromatic displays, so no company will invest the effort into developing new monochromatic phones.
    12-20-10 04:34 PM
    Monochromatic LCDs on the small scale are not significantly less costly to manufacture than color screens; so there is no financial incentive for companies to step backwards. An insignificant number of consumers would prefer monochromatic displays, so no company will invest the effort into developing new monochromatic phones.
    Well, Amazon did, didn't they?

12-20-10 04:46 PM
    Either that, or being the field i work in they don't think we know how to do what we do.
    I made the mistake of showing up the IT department my first week with the company, most of my collegues don't know much beyond power on, open Lotus notes, use Office apps,

I wrote batch files to do mundain terminal tasks that usually get done over hours to run ever 30 min so I had "live data" and it over loaded the network, so they learned to lock me out, and then to lock me out better.

12-20-10 04:49 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD