Just wondering how many people here would give up colour in exchange for a kindle style gray scale screen and much much longer battery life. That screen would only need back light in the darkest conditions. I would seriously consider it, how about you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-10 12:19 PM
    Just wondering how many people here would give up colour in exchange for a kindle style gray scale screen and much much longer battery life. That screen would only need back light in the darkest conditions. I would seriously consider it, how about you?

I would be more willing to carry a charger and/or a spare battery over giving up color for a bit more battery life.

An option to underclock a processor when a lot of idle or light use is expected would be handy but I wouldn't want a grayscale screen.
    12-19-10 12:30 PM
    No. I would never even consider such an option. I would purchase an extended battery if battery life was that big of a problem.

12-19-10 12:30 PM
    **** no, there is no way i would ever want that. its pointless. Get a spare battery and have a charger in the car/work or whatever. problem solved. i would never need more than what i can already get out of my phone. if you need a phone that needs more battery life go find a razor and leave the smartphones alone.
    12-19-10 12:36 PM
    No. Battery life is good enough and chargers are readily available. If a black an white e-reader was any desire of mine I'd go buy one. Color is a winner on the smartphone.

12-19-10 12:42 PM
    Absolutely not!
    12-19-10 12:45 PM
    NFW.

I've got a cradle on the nightstand and at my office, for in between I have a Motorola P790 and a mini-to-micro USB cable...
    12-19-10 12:54 PM
    Well, millions are buying the kindle. If I didn't have to worry about the battery for a week or two I would consider it as a work device. It's ironic these days your screen has to go brighter in daylight to see it properly, using more battery, and dim in the dark.

12-19-10 12:55 PM
    I'm sorry, but going to greyscale is taking a huge technological leap backwards. I'll take my lesser battery life, higher resolution, richer experience over barebones any day.
    12-19-10 12:57 PM
    Funny, I just discovered an option in accessibility settings to make the screen gray scale, I wonder why? Anybody using it? I just enabled it and the browser seems faster.

12-19-10 01:03 PM
    Well, millions are buying the kindle. If I didn't have to worry about the battery for a week or two I would consider it as a work device. It's ironic these days your screen has to go brighter in daylight to see it properly, using more battery, and dim in the dark.

People are buying the Kindle for one purpose: to be a digital book. They're not viewing weather maps, websites, photographs, videos, etc.

If I was buying a book reader tablet thing for the sole purpose of reading books on it, grayscale wouldn't be an issue. On my smartphone though, I would never even consider giving up color.
    12-19-10 01:05 PM
    People are buying the Kindle for one purpose: to be a digital book. They're not viewing weather maps, websites, photographs, videos, etc.

If I was buying a book reader tablet thing for the sole purpose of reading books on it, grayscale wouldn't be an issue. On my smartphone though, I would never even consider giving up color.
    Actually people are browsing the internet on the kindle.
    12-19-10 01:09 PM
    Funny, I just discovered an option in accessibility settings to make the screen gray scale, I wonder why? Anybody using it? I just enabled it and the browser seems faster.

right, it requires less processing power. The setting is for people who have vision problems and have to have contrast to see things basically
    12-19-10 01:10 PM
    If greyscale is where it's at, then why release the Nook Color?
    12-19-10 01:13 PM

I imagine there would be a slight increase in page rendering and battery life. I also didn't know about that option until you mentioned it. As for me, the drawbacks outweigh any advantage to giving up color.
    12-19-10 01:14 PM

Of course it should seem faster, the processor doesn't need to work as hard to render grayscale as it does for full color. This will be more noticable on devices with less processing power as it will on devices that have bigger processors, etc.

I would be surprised though if it saved a ton of battery life on a screen optimized for color that requires the backlight anyway in darker situations.

People would browse the internet on whatever device happens to be available I suppose. Doesn't necessarily mean it is optimal though. I like colors too much to join that crowd. If it works for them I sure won't bad mouth 'em, since they found something they like, but it sure isn't for everybody...
    12-19-10 01:23 PM
    I imagine there would be a slight increase in page rendering and battery life. I also didn't know about that option until you mentioned it. As for me, the drawbacks outweigh any advantage to giving up color.
    I'll leave it on gray scale for a few days and see how I get on with it just out of curiosity.
    And by the way, I would trade colour to kindle grayscale screen only if the battery lasted at least a week longer, not for an extra day. The kindle is supposed to last a month on one charge.

12-19-10 01:24 PM
    Aha, what if you would used it with a playbook? Playbook could satisfy the colour need and anything aesthetically important and leave the blackberry to do the communications? Just throwing ideas at you.

12-19-10 01:28 PM
    I'll leave it on gray scale for a few days and see how I get on with it just out of curiosity.
    And by the way, I would trade colour to kindle grayscale screen only if the battery lasted at least a week longer, not for an extra day. The kindle is supposed to last a month on one charge.

I'd be curious to know about the battery life. Post when you have some results.
    12-19-10 01:30 PM

Never. Battery life for reading on my various portable electronic devices isn't short enough for me to trade for a gray scale one-trick-pony Kindle. Ever tried to read a book about photography, on a Kindle?? LOL! Besides which, I often read in the dark, and a Kindle is useless without lots of ambient light. No way would I use a Kindle with a accessory lamp--that's two items that still make up a just a one-trick pony. I'll never understand why Kindlers got so upset two years ago, on Amazon discussions, when I told them color is better and color devices will replace their Kindles soon.
    12-19-10 01:31 PM
    I'd be curious to know about the battery life. Post when you have some results.
    I'll charge it overnight as usual and see how I get on tomorrow, could come in handy in case somebody gets stuck without a charger somewhere.
    12-19-10 01:33 PM

Why do you need suuch long battery life? Are you really awake 24hrs a day for a week so you could take advantage of your device staying charged so long? Do you frequently venture out into the wilderness and far enough away from civilization that charging while you sleep isn't an option?

Aha, what if you would used it with a playbook? Playbook could satisfy the colour need and anything aesthetically important and leave the blackberry to do the communications? Just throwing ideas at you.

Are you always going to have the playbook with you, and are you really going to whip it out every time you want to see a picture and so forth?

I would never carry a playbook or other tablet. If I can't get it done on my smartphone, may as well bring a laptop, something with some functionality my smartphone might not have.
    12-19-10 01:41 PM
    Why do you need suuch long battery life? Are you really awake 24hrs a day for a week so you could take advantage of your device staying charged so long? Do you frequently venture out into the wilderness and far enough away from civilization that charging while you sleep isn't an option?

Are you always going to have the playbook with you, and are you really going to whip it out every time you want to see a picture and so forth?

I would never carry a playbook or other tablet. If I can't get it done on my smartphone, may as well bring a laptop, something with some functionality my smartphone might not have.
    It's for pace of mind, that's why people drive 4X4s or SUV as you call them, that's why buy guns etc, it's the just in case factor.
    A friend of mine had to travel from NY to Belfast and instead of one day it took him 3 because of the record snow here, android owner by the way.

12-19-10 02:00 PM
    Another thing, do you think it would use less data, in case of roaming?

12-19-10 02:06 PM
    It's for pace of mind, that's why people drive 4X4s or SUV as you call them, that's why buy guns etc, it's the just in case factor.
    A friend of mine had to travel from NY to Belfast and instead of one day it took him 3 because of the record snow here, android owner by the way.

. If he was an Android user it would have been a non issue, as it is a well known "fact" around here that we need to recharge our Androids every few minutes anyway, so he'd have had a charger on him... I do understand where folks come from with wanting days of battery life, but I also believe in topping up the device every chance you get because you never do know.

Another thing, do you think it would use less data, in case of roaming?

I would be really surprised if it used less data because the server doesn't know you're in grayscale mode, and still sends the data as if you were going to render it in color. Rather than rendering it in color, the device simply renders in grayscale.

I'd be very, very surprised if it somehow saved data...
    12-19-10 02:15 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD