I would not switch permanently, but would switch temporarily for times when I won't have access to a charger.
    I'm interested to know if it makes a difference. No way to know for sure without doing it, but I doubt it will make much of one.
    12-19-10 02:22 PM
    In this day and age when energy is getting more and more expensive it strikes me that smart phones are one if not the only appliances that are getting less and less energy efficient.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-10 02:24 PM
    In this day and age when energy is getting more and more expensive it strikes me that smart phones are one if not the only appliances that are getting less and less energy efficient.

How long did it take water heaters to get more energy efficient? How long did it take to make more efficient TV's (some of which are still absolute energy hogs)?

Smartphones are a relatively new technology. Give it a little time and processors will be optimized, someone will eventually develop a more efficient screen technology while retaining the same or better resolutions, touch functionality, etc.

These really don't draw much electricity at all though, so it's understandable that there haven't been any huge pushes yet to improve efficiency. There are a lot more savings to be had from other home and office devices.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 12-19-10 at 03:02 PM.
    12-19-10 02:58 PM
    How long did it take water heaters to get more energy efficient? How long did it take to make more efficient TV's (some of which are still absolute energy hogs)?

Smartphones are a relatively new technology. Give it a little time and processors will be optimized, someone will eventually develop a more efficient screen technology while retaining the same or better resolutions, touch functionality, etc.

These really don't draw much electricity at all though, so it's understandable that there haven't been any huge pushes yet to improve efficiency. There are a lot more savings to be had from other home and office devices.
    Well, not really such a new technology, they've been around for at least 10 years and with quite a few millions of users I would imagine it's an immense drain of power.

12-19-10 03:13 PM
    To answer the original question, I already get excellent battery life, don't really want to give up color for a little more.
    12-19-10 03:21 PM
    I would gladly trade my 9300 in for a gray scale BB, if it could give me 18h typing time, ( 3* current typing life)

I wouldn't give up colour on my torch, though
    12-19-10 03:25 PM
    Just to make it clear, we're not talking about just a grayscale display but a kindle like display which is amazingly clear with absolutely no backlight help.

12-19-10 03:34 PM
    NO way. I see multimedia being one of the reason why RIM is behind the competition. I personally wouldnt like it nor should it even be considered.

12-19-10 05:03 PM
    Just wondering how many people here would give up colour in exchange for a kindle style gray scale screen and much much longer battery life. That screen would only need back light in the darkest conditions. I would seriously consider it, how about you?

I wonder why people in England and Ireland spell color with a U added.

12-19-10 05:13 PM
    I wonder why people in England and Ireland spell color with a U added.

Lol, can't really answer that as I'm originally from Romania

12-19-10 05:18 PM
    I definitely wouldn't want a gray scale screen. Are we back i the early 90's again? I love my color screen and I would actually like it to be more vivid. My battery life is decent I guess. These days I think it's normal to only get one full day out of a fully charged battery.
    12-19-10 05:20 PM
    bfd, craziest angle to launch a debate ever. Kudos!

Sandy, your reading material is all pictures. Who ya kidding?
    12-19-10 09:01 PM
    There is no way I'd be willing to give up my color for a few extra minutes of battery life...I think I get enought battery life out of my device to not need to even consider giving up my screen as is...when battery life gets that bad its time to get a new device lol
    12-19-10 09:50 PM
    bfd, craziest angle to launch a debate ever. Kudos!

Sandy, your reading material is all pictures. Who ya kidding?
    No, really, I'm just looking at the articles...
    12-19-10 10:24 PM
    There is no way I'd be willing to give up my color for a few extra minutes of battery life...I think I get enought battery life out of my device to not need to even consider giving up my screen as is...when battery life gets that bad its time to get a new device lol
    Yes I know but I'm talking an extra week not a few extra minutes and an amazingly clear grayscale screen, have you seen the kindle screen?

12-20-10 01:18 AM
    Just wondering how many people here would give up colour in exchange for a kindle style gray scale screen and much much longer battery life. That screen would only need back light in the darkest conditions. I would seriously consider it, how about you?

No way would I give up color. I'm more than satisfied with the battery life on my Tour. I see no need to roll back to the stone age.
    12-20-10 04:04 AM
    Definitely not.
    12-20-10 04:38 AM
    It looks like I'm one of the very few who would give up colour on a BB for major extended Battery Life
    12-20-10 06:56 AM
    It looks like I'm one of the very few who would give up colour on a BB for major extended Battery Life
    So, if you'd give up color on the screen, would you also give up processor speed if it extended the battery life even farther?
    12-20-10 07:05 AM
    Sorry, I live in a color world. I prefer my colors, thanks. I'll leave the grayscale and two-shade screens to the drones.

12-20-10 07:08 AM
    No, really, I'm just looking at the articles...
    Oh, is that the new term for them? Gee.

12-20-10 07:09 AM
    Oh, is that the new term for them? Gee.

Dang if y'all aren't just too swift on the euphamistic language...

Yep, she's got some nice articles for sure...
    12-20-10 07:13 AM
    So, if you'd give up color on the screen, would you also give up processor speed if it extended the battery life even farther?
    Sure would!

I would turn my 9300 in for a Grey Scale BB, that did

Phone/email/contact management/BBM with little to no lag, and super long battery life, on my 9300 I would say I NEED colour one day a month TOPS, I often take photo's and email them off without looking at them, so I would want a colour photo camera, but I don't need to see the colour images, heck if I had a view finder that would work.
    12-20-10 07:15 AM
    Sure would!

I would turn my 9300 in for a Grey Scale BB, that did

Phone/email/contact management/BBM with little to no lag, and super long battery life, on my 9300 I would say I NEED colour one day a month TOPS, I often take photo's and email them off without looking at them, so I would want a colour photo camera, but I don't need to see the colour images, heck if I had a view finder that would work.
    Interestingly enough Android users who have rooted their device can run an app called set CPU which allows overclocking, and also allows under clocking. I'm considering doing that, as I'm sure it would save battery life to set it to underclock significantly with the device idle, etc.

I don't suspect BB will ever have such an option though, as it gives users too much control over the device and RIM wouldn't like that...
    12-20-10 07:24 AM
    Interestingly enough Android users who have rooted their device can run an app called set CPU which allows overclocking, and also allows under clocking. I'm considering doing that, as I'm sure it would save battery life to set it to underclock significantly with the device idle, etc.

I don't suspect BB will ever have such an option though, as it gives users too much control over the device and RIM wouldn't like that...
    It does increase battery life. But, you can also download a ROM that manages clock speeds on its own. It actually saves even more battery life that way since it is native with the ROM, and not needing another app to monitor use.

And no, the current generation of BB OS will ever see such a thing. Maybe QNX will? Doubtful though if we are not allowed Super User permission.
    12-20-10 07:34 AM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD