09-23-10 09:35 AM
104 1234 ...
tools
    Isn't that all that a BlackBerry does? Lol
    Don't forget calling..
    09-01-10 10:23 PM
    Don't forget calling..
    Why people seem to forget this "detail" is beyond me lol...

Oh and BTW iMiiTH... If that's all YOUR BlackBerry does, you really don't know the tool you have. It just saved my *** today. I can sleep knowing my director won't be feasting on my liver tomorrow.

And it was just the "entry entry, cheap ***, low level, sub-quality, yaddayadda" 8520... You have a 8530, which is a notch better.
    09-01-10 10:45 PM
    i think with the buy one get one blackberry promo..
    the cost of owing one is the same as with the other QWERTY phones.
    but remember they have different data plans..
    the non Blackberry phones can get cheaper rates..
    09-01-10 10:55 PM
    Heh, I'm 16 and have a Blackberry Storm 2. I think it's very useful and as long as the child shows how responsible they are with the phone, they should be allowed to own one.
    09-01-10 11:05 PM
    My 14 YO has had one for 2 years and not a single issue as far as talk, text or data use what so ever. True the BB is more for the business environment. Her friends think its the cats meow that she has one as they have the glorified texting phones with the keyboards which is what they use it for any way. I think the most shes used the talk portion was 20 minutes, now texting is another story, shes somewhere at the 16 pages mark. Email works much better as its pushed to the device vs having to log into some web browser to read it. All in all Im happy with her use of it.
    09-02-10 08:22 AM
    A teenage 18 or older that can a) afford the device and b) can pay for the plan should have every right to any phone they desire.
    someone over the age of 18 is an adult. They should do both A and B

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 08:27 AM
    Knowing that the BB has some pretty crappy games on it, I'd rather have a kid use a BB than an iPhone and getting sucked into wasting time on games.
    09-02-10 11:30 AM
    Here in the UK the BB 8520 is really popular with youngsters. Why - as it is only 150 PAYG (pre paid) and BlackBerry services are 5 per month. Can't go wrong with that

Yea im from england aswell on vodafone but i asked about the curve and it was on a more expensive data plan than the bold as they had an offer going lol.
    09-02-10 05:10 PM
    My stepdaughter who is 13 has a regular dumbphone with a full qwerty keyboard and she has been very responsible with it in the year she has had it. As long as she keeps her grades up, then she can have one....actually been thinking of giving her my 9700, but she is gonna have to help out a lot more due to the internet plan...I want to upgrade to the Torch next year, or whatever phone that suites my fancy...maybe, really do love my 9700, lol!

09-02-10 08:50 PM
    Why wouldn't you give a teen a blackberry?
    09-02-10 09:32 PM
    It's the other way around for me. My kids (one a teen and a the other, a twenty-something suggested we get BBs. Of course I'm paying for all the data plans. While I'm not so excited about my BB (I used the old blue BB in the '90s so my perception of the BB is it's a business phone) the BB messenger gets me in quick contact with my kids because all they do is text. So for that reason, the BB works extremely well. The BB's make contacting my kids easy.

The kids love the BB. As for me, I need a phone that suits my taste. The Droid or iPhone is more in line what I'm looking for. I find emails annoying and I'm thinking about just dumping my accounts on the BB and just use it for texting and phone calls. All emails do is waste my battery and I just delete them any way and read them on the pc.

I want a smartphone that lets me do fun stuff. Push emails don't excite me. BB does it well but I just don't get the excitement over it.
    Last edited by zwoof; 09-03-10 at 12:16 AM.
    09-03-10 12:10 AM
    Actually i don't think Teenagers can proper use of it. So Ive still not give this technology to any teenager.
    How can teens not properly use a BlackBerry? I doubt there's much a teen can't do on a BlackBerry that you or I can.

09-03-10 12:36 AM
    I had an 8310 as my first Blackberry, Sophomore year.

Been a Blackberry user ever since. 8310, 9000, 9700, 8100, 9800 (Current)

It's been beneficial to me for school activities (Student Government, Baseball, Etc.), communicating schedules with parents, keeping track of calendar events.

So, I'd say why not? If a teen has need for it, have one!
    09-03-10 12:48 AM
    I don't see why not as long as it doesn't become too much of a distraction.
    09-03-10 02:04 AM
    I don't see the big deal.. Yes, I am a teen.

Should a teenager have an iPod? Why wouldn't a normal MP3 player suffice?
    Should a teenager have a car? Why isn't the bus enough?

We've got laptops, and flatscreens. Xbox, PS3. Some children have Power Wheels, and dirt bikes. Why is a phone any different?

No, I don't see why a 11 year old needs more than a 2Gig MP3 player, because they don't need it. But I don't need half of the things in my house.

However some people (whether its the teen or the parent) can afford to buy luxuries. Some people find joy in materials (guilty!), and others don't see it as necessary to enjoy life. Some people just want to make their lives easier. Why hand wash dishes when you can get a dish washer? If you can afford it, why not? And some teens are responsible, and do work for what they have. I'm just saying..

I can't be the only one who would rather drown than use a Motorola RAZR.. Too far?

I don't know if this post seems "angry", but I don't mean it to. (:
    Last edited by Lorenn_x; 09-07-10 at 08:45 AM.
    09-03-10 02:47 AM
    That was a pretty decent post Lorenn_x
    09-03-10 03:28 AM
    That was a pretty decent post Lorenn_x ;)
    Why, thank you. :)
    09-06-10 03:22 AM
    My teens will never have a blackberry or any phone that requires a data package that they cannot pay for themselves. Our bill is in the $200s already and I'm not spending any more for them to be able to browse the web.
    09-06-10 07:50 AM
    My teens will never have a blackberry or any phone that requires a data package that they cannot pay for themselves. Our bill is in the $200s already and I'm not spending any more for them to be able to browse the web.
    This is the idea really, "can you afford to?", more than the "is it right to?"

I don't see any use on giving such a expensive gift to anyone under 12. I didn't have a PC untill then and I did just fine (did have a Super Nes thou: Mario+Street Fighter ).

A cellphone? Yes, one of those feature phones. Communication is important and reaching your kids is twice as important.

An old 8110/8310? For the GPS and tracking features? Maybe... If I knew it wouldn't turn the kid into a walking "please rob me sir" target. Maybe it could work with one of those cheaper BIS Plans (Social or Email).

But if you can afford it, knows it will be safe enough, I guess my 1st idea, of the BESX server, would be nice. That way you can track the device (and the kid if they don't part), make sure no strange sms/email convos are going on, and keep an eye on what sites they are going to, even block some beforehand (Sorry, Mr. Larry Flynt).

I know this could save loads of people a ton of trouble... Parents give too much freedom to kids and more and more we see young adults behaving as brats (our Lorenn_x here seem to be a fine example of how a few of them still turn out righ). Downhill is the easiest way to go...
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-06-10 at 08:49 AM.
    09-06-10 08:43 AM
    my vote is on the "is it right" rather than " can you afford to"
    anyone who believes it is right to give a 17 yr old a Range Rover because they can afford to is in for a lot of trouble.
    @ Lorenn_X Life shouldn't be easy nor instant always... most of the times you have to work for something to get it... whether it's a degree or money.
    In order to succeed in Life.. you need that "hunger"
    09-06-10 09:03 AM
    As a young person (22 now) i will say that every piece of technology i have bought other than a TV, boombox, SNES and Xbox were bought by me. First computer, phone (prepaid), car, mp3 player...all purchased by moi. While my mom was cheap, she also didn't buy me those things because "if i wanted it, you buy it yourself" and the best thing was she had zero control over what i purchased.

As far as im concerned, if I had a kid I wouldnt give my kid a Blackberry or an iPhone. Why? Because its so god damn cheap they can go out and buy one themselves if they want that luxury. 300 bucks and 35 a month can get you a Curve on Virgin Mobile. You can use an iPhone prepaid on AT&T or jump on Tmo's psuedo-prepaid plans and spend only 50 bucks a month.
    09-06-10 09:38 AM
    I must say, some of the parents posting on here saying they monitor their teenagers' phones do scare me a bit.

But anyways, I'm 16 and have owned smartphones for years, and I use the features a lot so I don't think it's a waste at all. I pay for the phones and the network costs myself, so if I thought it was a waste, I'd spend my money on something else.
    09-06-10 09:46 AM
    This is the idea really, "can you afford to?", more than the "is it right to?"

I don't see any use on giving such a expensive gift to anyone under 12. I didn't have a PC untill then and I did just fine (did have a Super Nes thou: Mario+Street Fighter ).

A cellphone? Yes, one of those feature phones. Communication is important and reaching your kids is twice as important.
    Yup. They all have cell phones with unlimited texting. They want iphones or blackberries or Androids (whatever the latest and coolest is out that their friends have) and when I ask them what they need a data package for, their answer is they want to be able to get on facebook. Considering they have laptops at home to do this, I don't see the need for them to have this. Otherwise they'll be checking it while at school and they know I do not want them on their phones at school.

So the drill is usually go to the AT&T store and they're allowed to pick any phone so long as it doesn't require teh data package.
    09-06-10 10:31 AM
    I must say, some of the parents posting on here saying they monitor their teenagers' phones do scare me a bit.
    That's the job of a parent. You can bet that at random times I ask for my daughters cell phones. I also monitor their facebook. That's the rule set up a long time ago...I'll let you have cell phones but I get to check who you're calling and who you're texting. If more parents were proactive this way we'd have a lot less teenage stupid stuff going on.

What I've caught from this...
    innapropriate texting to and from boys. Cyber bullying on facebook not to my daughters but to one of my daughters friends. The result was she was considering suicide it was so bad from a group of other girls. But the parents on both sides had no idea what was going on. And etc.

I think what teens forget is stuff like this--Xbox, cell phones, cars, etc are priveleges and not rights.

Everything I do on my work laptop is monitored and recorded by I.T. If I do something wrong, I get in trouble. I know the rules.

So parents should have rules when we give things. As long as the child shows responsibility, everything is fine. But when innapropriate boundaries are crossed, then you get stuff taken away.

Nothing drives me more crazy than to see teenagers getting pregnant, cyber bullying, commiting suicide, getting drunk at parties, etc etc and the parents say, "You know...I had no idea." Parents need to be very proactive. And then when the teenager turns 18 and moves out, wellll...then they are free to make their own choices.
    09-06-10 10:40 AM
    That's the job of a parent. You can bet that at random times I ask for my daughters cell phones. I also monitor their facebook. That's the rule set up a long time ago...I'll let you have cell phones but I get to check who you're calling and who you're texting. If more parents were proactive this way we'd have a lot less teenage stupid stuff going on.

What I've caught from this...
    innapropriate texting to and from boys. Cyber bullying on facebook not to my daughters but to one of my daughters friends. The result was she was considering suicide it was so bad from a group of other girls. But the parents on both sides had no idea what was going on. And etc.

I think what teens forget is stuff like this--Xbox, cell phones, cars, etc are priveleges and not rights.

Everything I do on my work laptop is monitored and recorded by I.T. If I do something wrong, I get in trouble. I know the rules.

So parents should have rules when we give things. As long as the child shows responsibility, everything is fine. But when innapropriate boundaries are crossed, then you get stuff taken away.

Nothing drives me more crazy than to see teenagers getting pregnant, cyber bullying, commiting suicide, getting drunk at parties, etc etc and the parents say, "You know...I had no idea." Parents need to be very proactive. And then when the teenager turns 18 and moves out, wellll...then they are free to make their own choices.
    I get the logic of wanting to stop those things, but I seriously don't think spying on teenagers' phones is the best way to get it done.

Don't get me wrong, I don't try and hide everything I do from my parents. Sometimes my mum will ask me what I'm doing on my phone, who I'm talking to, what about etc, and I'll go right ahead and tell her, but I'd rather smash my phone with a hammer than let anyone - whether they be my mum, my best mate, or the lord himself - go through it. It's my personal phone, my personal messages, my personal data. The IT at work thing isn't the same - in that case, you're at work to work and the equipment you're using belongs to the company, but you wouldn't want someone policing your personal use at home would you?

On the topic of exactly what you content you don't want said in messages etc, I could rant forever, but that's another topic really. But IMO, the whole thing about "sexting" is seriously over-played in the media.

Anyway, that's my view. I'm just glad my phones aren't spied on. Except by the trustworthy government, of course
    09-06-10 10:50 AM
104 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD