There's a huge difference between a salesperson coming up and asking if you need help and someone going over every aspect of what they can do with their phone, especially if it's unwarranted.
    I was not showing what you can do with my phone, I was showing what you can do with the Playbook on display.
    12-28-11 12:31 PM
    If anyone would go out of their way to talk to me about a device I was looking at, I would probably assume they are biased about that particular device, especially if they own it. So I'd have to take their opinion lightly. But I wouldn't be creeped out, especially if the person was knowledgeable.

Sometimes we overlook obvious faults with products we own because of certain emotional attachments--for e.g., the PB has a very mediocre selection of apps, but the PB forum on Crackberry often seems to downplay the importance of apps. To me, apps are crucial for a tablet, since this is what differentiates them from computers. So if I was holding a PB and you came over to talk about it, and downplayed the subpar selection of apps on the PB, I might be pissed if I got home and couldn't stream Netflix, for example, because there's no app for it.
    12-28-11 12:32 PM
    I'm thinking it sort of depends on a couple of things. If the customer you were showing off to was genuinely interested, then sure.

If you have to chase them halfway down an aisle to show them one last thing, that might be pushing it.

Also: depends a bit on how attentive store staff is. If someone's been looking at stuff for 20 minutes without an associate coming in to assist, I'd say you could try jumping in.
    12-28-11 12:32 PM

Being a guy myself, I can understand why a female would not want a guy to offer unsolicited help and how it might seem a bit creepy.
    I see how this could be creepy.

Now if I'm looking at something and in need of info and some guy in a trench coat sidles up with his hands in his pockets ready to proffer some pearls of infinite wisdom, that I would find creepy.
    I would be creeped out too.
    12-28-11 12:35 PM
    I understand this because your posting this as its a guy you don't really don't want to be talking to. What if its a woman or a MAN that you don't mind talking to?
    That's the conversation here. The OP was in a conversation with a person ( I dunno if its even a opposite sex case) and it was mutual. Meaning that it was wanted. It was a person out side of the situation that said it was creepy.
    I get it. If I saw you looking at say a Torch 9860 and I said that's a nice phone and you agreed and then I just bombarded you with how I got this setup and whatever. I can see that bothering you. Heck anybody does. But offering the opinion isn't intrusive.
    It can be anyone. Man. Woman. Child - especially children as I can't stand them.

If I want to be left alone, then I want to be left alone. Whether it's a saleswoman or a salesman, if they ask if I need anything and I say no and they hover, I'll move on. Same thing with the OP showing me his PB if I'm near a PB section at Best Buy. Unless I specifically ask him to show me what it can do, it's creepy for him to just come to me and go "Lookie!" It wouldn't matter if it was the OP or his sister or his child. I browse and window shop a lot when I'm trying to kill time. Just because I'm near the plasma TV sections doesn't mean I am going to buy one. It's just a way to kill time. I don't think I'd ever buy a PB or an iPad, but if I had time to kill, I would probably browse. It doesn't mean I want unsolicited advice. I think that is the keyword here: unsolicited.

If I go to the OP and ask him to give me a run down on what it can do as I'm considering it, that's different. I've stated already that I'm not ashamed to ask someone what they think about a product they own and use if I've never owned and used one. That's exactly how I came to the conclusion to buy an Xterra when my other car died and went to wherever Saturns go. My then sort of boyfriend had an Xterra and he let me drive it a few times and I loved it. He said he had no problems with it when I asked and it was a good, dependable vehicle. That kind of advice I don't mind. However, if he tried to convince me to buy an Xterra just because he had one and I didn't specifically ask his opinion, that'd be a different story.

That's how I got an iPhone after my S2 started to annoy me. I asked my sister. I asked her husband. I asked a friend of mine who has an Android what he thought of his phone. I welcomed the information because I needed it.

I was not showing what you can do with my phone, I was showing what you can do with the Playbook on display.
    It's the same concept whether it be a phone, a PB or a machine gun.
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 12-28-11 at 12:41 PM.
    12-28-11 12:36 PM
    I dont think it would hurt to say, "I happen to own one of those if you have any questions." As long as you give the option to ask or decline and respect it, no harm, no foul.
    12-28-11 12:36 PM

Sometimes we overlook obvious faults with products we own because of certain emotional attachments--for e.g., the PB has a very mediocre selection of apps, but the PB forum on Crackberry often seems to downplay the importance of apps. To me, apps are crucial for a tablet, since this is what differentiates them from computers. So if I was holding a PB and you came over to talk about it, and downplayed the subpar selection of apps on the PB, I might be pissed if I got home and couldn't stream Netflix, for example, because there's no app for it.
    I gave him the +/- of the Palybook and told him that there very few apps as compared to the Apple. The guy was primarily interested in viewing flash based sites and hooking up his blackberry to a tablet.
    12-28-11 12:42 PM
    Slightly off topic, sometimes people just need someone to talk too. Be it either the person asking for advice or the person giving the advice.

Once time I was at Costco and someone asked me the difference between refrigerated soy milk and the soy milk on the shelf, since I had a case in my cart. I told her I tried both and couldn't tell any real difference but that I bought the one on the shelf because I didn't drink it everyday and that worked out perfect for me.

30 minutes later she's still talking to me and basically telling me about her life, job, son, daily commute, and fear of the economy. At first I didn't really notice how long we had been talking but, as I was leaving, and thought about it, she seemed like she really just needed someone to talk to about, whatever. She was nice and not bad at all on the eyes, LOL, so maybe that has a little to do with why I stood there and listened as Lon as I did, especially when I was tired as I had just gotten off work.

Anyways, sometimes, people may appear strange or creepy when striking up random conversation, but at the end of the day, especially if someone lives alone, they just need someone who will listen, and if giving/getting advice about a new desktop gives them that small outlet, why not?

Ok, Dr. Phil hour is over. Back on topic. LOL.

War Is All We Know
    12-28-11 12:53 PM
    I suspect there is quite a bit of self-deception going on here. By calling such interactions "help" makes is seem like an altruistic act. It most certainly is not. You have a personal agenda. At the very least, you want RIM to do well and keep producing the product and updates that will serve you in the future. Also, you want to feel the validation of having someone else make the same purchasing decision you made. In any event, it is all about you, not the person you are "helping".

Once every few weeks, evangelists come around trying to "help" me with my eternal destiny. Companies offer me unsolicited "help" by filling my mailbox with junk mail promising an improved credit score and such. I get unsolicited email offering to "help" me enlarge my... You get the point. None of this is help; it is something else entirely.

Ask yourselves, why do you give a damn what electronic device a stranger uses? It shouldn't matter to you at all. You assume that sales people are incompetent, yet sales people have little trouble selling popular items that I will not mention by name. You just think that RIM needs help selling their items. The person with a confused look at a store is fully capable of asking strangers for help when needed. Answering an asked question is providing help. Becoming a RIM evangelists, sales rep that pounces on perceived opportunities is NOT altruism.
    12-28-11 12:54 PM
    I suspect there is quite a bit of self-deception going on here. By calling such interactions "help" makes is seem like an altruistic act. It most certainly is not. You have a personal agenda. At the very least, you want RIM to do well and keep producing the product and updates that will serve you in the future. Also, you want to feel the validation of having someone else make the same purchasing decision you made. In any event, it is all about you, not the person you are "helping".
    I don't think when I got advice from someone about their car or their iPhone that it was all about them or about me. It was about a device.

I get unsolicited email offering to "help" me enlarge my... You get the point.
    I get those too and I don't even have a ...
    12-28-11 01:05 PM
    I gave him the +/- of the Palybook and told him that there very few apps as compared to the Apple. The guy was primarily interested in viewing flash based sites and hooking up his blackberry to a tablet.
    Personally, I would have welcomed your advice. This is the main reason why I would get a PB, especially hooking up my Torch.
    12-28-11 01:23 PM
    I'd only be as annoyed with someone showing me what a Blackberry can do as with someone showing me what an iPhone can do.

Personally I find the latter more common, and usually done with a "I'm holier then thou" attitude. Not only is it creepy but also cocky and rude.
    12-28-11 01:34 PM

Once every few weeks, evangelists come around trying to "help" me with my eternal destiny. Companies offer me unsolicited "help" by filling my mailbox with junk mail promising an improved credit score and such. I get unsolicited email offering to "help" me enlarge my... You get the point. None of this is help; it is something else entirely.

Ask yourselves, why do you give a damn what electronic device a stranger uses? It shouldn't matter to you at all. You assume that sales people are incompetent, yet sales people have little trouble selling popular items that I will not mention by name. You just think that RIM needs help selling their items. The person with a confused look at a store is fully capable of asking strangers for help when needed. Answering an asked question is providing help. Becoming a RIM evangelists, sales rep that pounces on perceived opportunities is NOT altruism.
    Very interesting, never thought of it that way. Dont know if you read my original post about this, but when I saw the guy with a BB 9700 in his hand and looking at the Playbook, I put two and two together and chimed in. If you have a Blackberry, I believe that the Playbook makes a great companion due to the BB bridge. Turns out the guy wanted to browse flash websites and read/write his mail on it and I was able to show him this.

I really dont care what other electronics people use, I personally use what is best for me and others should do the same. That is why I have BB Storm and Playbook.

I never thought this would be viewed as altruism; I guess that is just the way I am, I like helping people whenever I can.
    12-28-11 01:35 PM
    ...but when I saw the guy with a BB 9700 in his hand and looking at the Playbook, I put two and two together and chimed in.
    You put two and two together? Did he ask for your help? By chiming in, you mean you accosted this man with your unsolicited wisdom. And what was you motivation?

If you have a Blackberry, I believe that the Playbook makes a great companion due to the BB bridge.
    So your belief is enough for you to become a personal evangelist and push your agenda onto anyone who has a BB and shows the least bit of curiosity in the PB. Just out of curiosity, what if he had an iPhone and was looking at the PB? How about if he was looking at an iPad? Would you have put two and two together and chimed in based on your belief?

I really dont care what other electronics people use, I personally use what is best for me and others should do the same. That is why I have BB Storm and Playbook.
    You clearly do care as you chimed in on a stranger's shopping experience based on your belief in what the best electronics combo is.

never thought this would be viewed as altruism; I guess that is just the way I am, I like helping people whenever I can.
    Either it it is altruistic and you are helping, or it is not altruistic and you are not helping. Decide. Let me help you with that. There is no altruism here, and you are not doing this to help anyone except to promote your own agenda. Is it creepy? I don't know. That depends on the recipient of your attentions. Is it serving some greater social good, absolutely not. How about applying for a job a RIM or a retailer. Then, you can indulge your agenda without question of creepiness.
    12-28-11 02:06 PM
    no its not creepy
    12-28-11 02:11 PM
    You put two and two together? Did he ask for your help? By chiming in, you mean you accosted this man with your unsolicited wisdom. And what was you motivation?

So your belief is enough for you to become a personal evangelist and push your agenda onto anyone who has a BB and shows the least bit of curiosity in the PB. Just out of curiosity, what if he had an iPhone and was looking at the PB? How about if he was looking at an iPad? Would you have put two and two together and chimed in based on your belief?

You clearly do care as you chimed in on a stranger's shopping experience based on your belief in what the best electronics combo is.

Either it it is altruistic and you are helping, or it is not altruistic and you are not helping. Decide. Let me help you with that. There is no altruism here, and you are not doing this to help anyone except to promote your own agenda. Is it creepy? I don't know. That depends on the recipient of your attentions. Is it serving some greater social good, absolutely not. How about applying for a job a RIM or a retailer. Then, you can indulge your agenda without question of creepiness.
    I think you're taking this whole thing to extremes just a bit. Seems to me it was a pretty reasonable, informative and unintrusive dialog that ended up benefiting this person you're making out to be some kind of a victim. No agenda here other than being friendly and helpful to fellow buman being. If this were one of those people who requires their personsl space not be invaded -- and it sounds like you're one of those -- I'm quite sure Mr.berrybook would have picked up on it and let things be without a word. You, on the other hand, and not trying to get personal, sound like you're bordering on antisocial if you find the offering of well-meaning advice to a stranger to be such a problem. What kind of society would this be if we never interacted with anyone with whom we weren't already acquainted?
    Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 12-28-11 at 02:36 PM.
    12-28-11 02:26 PM
    Tbis is completely wrong in reguards to me. I never suggest to anybody to get a blackberry. Any time I help someone its just that. I take no money in return or favors.
    Case in point I got into makeing themes. I don't like the torchs panels so sought out to change it. I used the forum theme section to try things out and once I got my hand on it I stopped releaseing em in the section. I just build em for people and pm or email em the ota. No money no glory no anything. Just something I like to do.
    When somebody asks me what kind of phone should I get I always answer what do you want to do with it. After that I suggest what I think is best. It has never been a blackberry. I own a blackberry because its what I want. Probally not so much what's best for me any more. Rim doesn't pay me a dime. Unless you want to call getting this ast awsome Torch for $50 payment in it's self. Lol.
    Coldshine I don't think we're talking about stalkers or pickup artist here. If we're killing time over by the tvs I make say hi, or they have a good price on them or something. Why wouldni tell you anything about whatever unless you showed some kind of interest? Its going to happen if we cross paths I'm going to speak. I do w/ everybody.I don't show you my phone. The op only done it cause it was relative to the situation.
    12-28-11 02:32 PM
    I think it's not creepy. If I'm looking at a device I would welcome someone's opinion about it.

It's risky (might run-into a hole-a$$) but not creepy
    mud314 likes this.
    12-28-11 02:53 PM
    Coldshine I don't think we're talking about stalkers or pickup artist here. If we're killing time over by the tvs I make say hi, or they have a good price on them or something. Why wouldni tell you anything about whatever unless you showed some kind of interest? Its going to happen if we cross paths I'm going to speak. I do w/ everybody.I don't show you my phone. The op only done it cause it was relative to the situation.
    There's a difference between saying hi and commenting on how low Best Buy's prices are and giving me a full on bit by bit run down on what the PB does. Small talk is one thing. A 101 Series Lecture is another.

I do speak to random strangers. Random strangers speak to me. I don't ignore them unless it's someone telling me my behind (since we can't say the four letter word that starts with B that means hind end on here ) looks good in the scrub pants I'm wearing and they want to lay me over the desk in my office.

Again, commenting is one thing. We all like comments. Unsolicited advice is another.
    12-28-11 02:55 PM
    Wow! Reading some of the posts on this thread leads me to believe some people should not leave there homes.
    Last edited by up488; 12-28-11 at 03:28 PM.
    12-28-11 03:25 PM
    It's not creepy. All someone not interested has to say is, "Thanks, but I'm all set." There's no need to coddle people who might get freaked out about every little thing.

I'm not a doctor, but I like to throw on some scrubs and hang a stethescope around my neck whenever I head to a Starbux. It gets me some respect ... at least from the females.
    12-28-11 03:47 PM
    I think someone who is social, like the OP of this story, will be able to tell whether or not he is infringing on the person's personal space. This being said, I think it's great he went and gave a good account of the device. I personally do not buy from a salesperson. I buy and listen to consumers. I am a consumer, I am not working for spiffs/commission and let's face it, the BestBuy folks are not very well educated at all on all of their products. They usually focus on one or two items and some none.

Maybe I am siding w/the OP because I too have been in the same situation. I don't know. I do agree up488's comment. But hey that's what makes this blue, green, white bowl of jelly beans a fun place to live in...or is it on?
    12-28-11 03:52 PM
    It's not creepy. All someone not interested has to say is, "Thanks, but I'm all set." There's no need to coddle people who might get freaked out about every little thing.

I'm not a doctor, but I like to throw on some scrubs and hang a stethescope around my neck whenever I head to a Starbux. It gets me some respect ... at least from the females.
    I always thought you were female!? Wow. But, yeah, the females here that agree with me do so because we know what it's like to be approached a lot from men. It's not always a sexual thing. Men are just more aggressive, egotistical and think a woman needs help when we don't. I get asked A LOT if I need help. I suppose I look lost a lot. Lol. It gets tiring saying, thanks I'm all set. I've even gone so far as to wear earphone if I go for longer walks. I don't want to be bothered, whatever the intent. That's my right.

Unless someone outright asks for my help, I don't talk to people I don't know in real life. I treat others as I want to be treated which is to keep to myself. I'm friendly, I just don't usually impose myself randomly.

I learned that most people don't listen anyway. They just want to hear themselves talk.
    12-28-11 04:12 PM
    wow did this ever take a turn.

no its not creepy and anyone that thinks it is should maybe open up the bubble and meet someone sometime.

Just seems funny that someone giving a helping hand turns into a debate about how he was just pushing his views on someone else, when really he was just helping someone out.

I was out boxing day shopping and while standing inline i noticed the guy infront of me was getting a playbook, and after our little chat he changed his mind from getting a 16 to a 32gig thanks to me.

the sales guy said that the 16gig would be enough, but after informing him that adding a few hd movies and some large games or apps you would be left with not very much memory or you would have to be moving stuff back and forth.

when our two hour line ride made it to the front he thanked me and changed his request to the 32gig.

so i felt good and he was happy, creepy no, informed yes.

if i buy a car i want a person who has driven the car to tell me about it not the person who puts the tires on the rims.

just IMO

making new friends = life

cheers
    Last edited by SkaterGuy2k; 12-28-11 at 04:32 PM. Reason: oops
    up488 and jivegirl14 like this.
    12-28-11 04:28 PM
    I always thought you were female!? Wow.
    Nope. Forty-one year old male here.
    12-28-11 04:31 PM
119 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD