Long story short, I convinced someone to buy a Playbook at Best Buy today, which I posted about here. Two replies to this thread (which have been removed) said what I did was creepy. I dont see what was creepy about this.... I just gave someone a tour of the Playbook.

So my question is, would you find it creepy if someone were to come up to you and tell you about a product (and give you a tour of it) that you were looking at?
    I think your question speaks to a larger issue concerning the human condition in the US and other places as well.

People who think "Wanting to help another person" creepy, are absolutely creepy themselves and most likely have few other less than desirable traits.
    12-28-11 04:32 PM
    I might have less than desirable traits, but at least I keep them to myself!
    12-28-11 04:38 PM
    I think your question speaks to a larger issue concerning the human condition in the US and other places as well.

People who think "Wanting to help another person" creepy, are absolutely creepy themselves and most likely have few other less than desirable traits.
    No. The PRESUMPTION that you are qualified to help random strangers in an electronics store is creepy. You are presuming the other people need help. You are presuming that you are qualified to provide help. Even if they take time to decline, it is still a presumptuous imposition on their time and personal space.

Imposition is not good manners in any day or age. Doing it to strangers is downright creepy.
    Last edited by BBBrooklynFAN; 12-28-11 at 05:01 PM.
    12-28-11 04:40 PM
    There's a difference between saying hi and commenting on how low Best Buy's prices are and giving me a full on bit by bit run down on what the PB does. Small talk is one thing. A 101 Series Lecture is another.

I do speak to random strangers. Random strangers speak to me. I don't ignore them unless it's someone telling me my behind (since we can't say the four letter word that starts with B that means hind end on here ) looks good in the scrub pants I'm wearing and they want to lay me over the desk in my office.

Again, commenting is one thing. We all like comments. Unsolicited advice is another.
    I hear ya. My wife is a DVM,NPRN. I kinda like the way scrubs look. Again your talking about a totally different situation.
    12-28-11 04:46 PM
    No. The PRESUMPTION that you are qualified to help random strangers in an electronics store is creepy. You are presuming the other people need help. You are presuming that you are qualified to provide help. Even if they take time to decline, it is still a presumptuous imposition on their time and personal space.
    I don't quite understand why the presumption is creepy if in fact you are knowlegdable. For example if you own the device and have taken the time to learn the ins ands out of that particular model and are respectful enough to back off if they don't want your help... a few seconds of time doesn't hurt anyone, provided its not a medical emergency.. If they want your help, they benefit from the sharing of knowledge, if they don't, you leave them alone..
    sleepngbear likes this.
    12-28-11 05:03 PM
    If you want to legit help people buy a PlayBook, apply at BestBuy.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    12-28-11 05:05 PM
    I don't quite understand why the presumption is creepy if in fact you are knowlegdable. For example if you own the device and have taken the time to learn the ins ands out of that particular model and are respectful enough to back off if they don't want your help... a few seconds of time doesn't hurt anyone, provided its not a medical emergency.. If they want your help, they benefit from the sharing of knowledge, if they don't, you leave them alone..
    Because it's an imposition. People mostly want to be left alone. They do not like to be observed (stalked) by strangers. If a stranger abruptly offers help without prompting, it means the stranger has been observing them for a while. This kind of attention is not welcome coming from total strangers unaffiliated with the business establishment in question.
    12-28-11 05:09 PM
    You put two and two together? Did he ask for your help? By chiming in, you mean you accosted this man with your unsolicited wisdom. And what was you motivation?
    I dont know what motivated.... Might have something to do with my school's moto, "Men and women for others".

So your belief is enough for you to become a personal evangelist and push your agenda onto anyone who has a BB and shows the least bit of curiosity in the PB. Just out of curiosity, what if he had an iPhone and was looking at the PB? How about if he was looking at an iPad? Would you have put two and two together and chimed in based on your belief?
    If I went out of my way to push my beliefs, then I would say I was an evangelist. In this case, he was next to me and I happen to see the BB in his hand while handling the Playbook and that is what caught my eye. If he had an Apple product in his hand, I would have probably not even noticed it.

You clearly do care as you chimed in on a stranger's shopping experience based on your belief in what the best electronics combo is.
    Is there an other tablet that will give you the same functionality as the Playbook does when bridged to a BB?

Either it it is altruistic and you are helping, or it is not altruistic and you are not helping. Decide. Let me help you with that. There is no altruism here, and you are not doing this to help anyone except to promote your own agenda. Is it creepy? I don't know. That depends on the recipient of your attentions. Is it serving some greater social good, absolutely not. How about applying for a job a RIM or a retailer. Then, you can indulge your agenda without question of creepiness.
    12-28-11 05:10 PM
    Because it's an imposition. People mostly want to be left alone. They do not like to be observed (stalked) by strangers. If a stranger abruptly offers help without prompting, it means the stranger has been observing them for a while. This kind of attention is not welcome coming from total strangers unaffiliated with the business establishment in question.
    I think its just as presumptuous to talk for everyone, just as in assuming they want to be left alone..but I will admit it is important to respect a persons space and not stare at them.. or solely hanging out at the kiosk with the intent of being a salesperson.
    Last edited by spike12; 12-28-11 at 05:16 PM.
    12-28-11 05:12 PM

Imposition is not good manners in any day or age. Doing it to strangers is downright creepy.
    This!!! Just because a person may have a confused look in an electronics section does not mean they need or want your help. Heck! Everybody has some confusion in a typical electronics section at some point. The assumption that they cannot come to the same brilliant conclusion as you all on their own is the condescending part. You assume that left to their own devices, or that of the paid staff, they might make the wrong decision.

Also, we are still confusing a personal sales agenda for altruistic service. I have made most of my money as a salesman. I know the difference between making small talk with a stranger and trying to convince them to buy something that fits my agenda. It is silly to pretend there is no difference.

I also read the original thread the OP started. He came to the forums to boast of his conquest. His thread is about how he "SOLD" a PB, not about how he helped a stranger in distress. He wanted the virtual high-fives of his peers on this board. He earned another notch in his belt. Some thought that was a bit creepy. He started this thread to get validation for his behavior. Period! This is not about help, or small talk, or connecting with a stranger. It is about personal conquest and earning the RIM super-fan merit badge.
    12-28-11 05:21 PM
    This!!! Just because a person may have a confused look in an electronics section does not mean they need or want your help. Heck! Everybody has some confusion in a typical electronics section at some point. The assumption that they cannot come to the same brilliant conclusion as you all on their own is the condescending part. You assume that left to their own devices, or that of the paid staff, they might make the wrong decision.

Also, we are still confusing a personal sales agenda for altruistic service. I have made most of my money as a salesman. I know the difference between making small talk with a stranger and trying to convince them to buy something that fits my agenda. It is silly to pretend there is no difference.

I also read the original thread the OP started. He came to the forums to boast of his conquest. His thread is about how he "SOLD" a PB, not about how he helped a stranger in distress. He wanted the virtual high-fives of his peers on this board. He earned another notch in his belt. Some thought that was a bit creepy. He started this thread to get validation for his behavior. Period! This is not about help, or small talk, or connecting with a stranger. It is about personal conquest and earning the RIM super-fan merit badge.
    This sums up my feelings! Well stated.
    12-28-11 05:25 PM
    If you want to legit help people buy a PlayBook, apply at BestBuy.
    I noticed you have a 9650. I have one, too (non-camera model). I also noticed you're from the Sunshine State. I'm from the Ocean State. We could meet somewhere in the middle, and I could help you with your Bold's security settings ...
    12-28-11 05:28 PM
    Thank you! I wish I was this articulate.
    12-28-11 05:31 PM
    I noticed you have a 9650. I have one, too (non-camera model). I also noticed you're from the Sunshine State. I'm from the Ocean State. We could meet somewhere in the middle, and I could help you with your Bold's security settings ...
    You'd be too scared to meet me.
    12-28-11 05:33 PM
    You'd be to scared to meet me.
    Sounds like a dare. Comeon, I'll wear my stethoscope.
    SkaterGuy2k likes this.
    12-28-11 05:34 PM
    Sounds like a dare. Comeon, I'll wear my stethoscope.
    Only the stethoscope?
    12-28-11 05:36 PM
    I wear scrubs. What a coincidence.
    12-28-11 05:36 PM
    Only the stethoscope?
    Yah, trust me, you don't wanna see me in my speedo, lol.
    12-28-11 05:38 PM
    It would be creepy, but it would also be impolite if you didn't offer any of the bacon to the people around you.
    you two should take your show on the road. i got a visual of this happening in best buy and i'm just CRACKIN UP!!!!
    12-28-11 05:51 PM
    I always thought you were female!? Wow. But, yeah, the females here that agree with me do so because we know what it's like to be approached a lot from men. It's not always a sexual thing. Men are just more aggressive, egotistical and think a woman needs help when we don't. I get asked A LOT if I need help. I suppose I look lost a lot. Lol. It gets tiring saying, thanks I'm all set. I've even gone so far as to wear earphone if I go for longer walks. I don't want to be bothered, whatever the intent. That's my right.

Unless someone outright asks for my help, I don't talk to people I don't know in real life. I treat others as I want to be treated which is to keep to myself. I'm friendly, I just don't usually impose myself randomly.

I learned that most people don't listen anyway. They just want to hear themselves talk.
    I feel so sorry for you chrisy. It must be such a burden for you. I'm approached a lot it never gets old. I much rather tell someone "oh no thank you" than hear a sales rep say "hmmm I'm really not sure".
    How do you tire of getting offered help?
    If notice you having earplugs I won't waste my time. I bet I still say hi. Just a habit.
    up488 likes this.
    12-28-11 06:10 PM
    The reverse has happened to me as well and I welcomed their input.
    12-28-11 06:17 PM
    I know the difference between making small talk with a stranger and trying to convince them to buy something that fits my agenda. It is silly to pretend there is no difference.
    There is a difference; I did not intended on convincing anyone to buy a Playbook. If I saw that the guy was not interested, I would have left.

Actually, I came to discuss Playbook Boxing Day sales....
    12-28-11 06:24 PM
    I feel so sorry for you chrisy. It must be such a burden for you. I'm approached a lot it never gets old. I much rather tell someone "oh no thank you" than hear a sales rep say "hmmm I'm really not sure".
    How do you tire of getting offered help?
    If notice you having earplugs I won't waste my time. I bet I still say hi. Just a habit.
    Not everyone is the charming social butterfly that you are. I'm sure missing out of your witty and entertaining banter is something I'd sorely regret forever.

Yeah, I want to be left alone. I answered the OPs question. Yes, I consider it creepy and annoying if a stranger gave me advice about the PlayBook. They asked. God knows why they asked, since they already did it and started another thread telling that they did. Attention seek much? The OP, and others offering the unsolicited advice must need some serious validation.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-28-11 at 06:33 PM.
    12-28-11 06:27 PM
    Yes, I consider it creepy and annoying if a stranger gave me advice about the PlayBook. They asked.
    This why I started a new thread.
    12-28-11 06:42 PM

Again, I think you people are reading way too much into this! It's not like the OP tied somebody down against their will and forced his own preferences on them until they submitted. Seriously. You see somebody in a store with a phone similar to your own looking at a tablet that you already own, looking curious, quite likely already interested in the thing by virtue of the fact that they're examining it, where is the crime in starting up a conversation to at least see if they're interested in learning more about it? And what's with this talk of an agenda??!! Like the guy is going to single-handedly reverse RIM's downward spiral by informing ONE potential buyer from his own experiences? The guy has exactly nothing to gain from making a sale other than helping somebody out. What planet are you people from??!! What's next, calling a cop for making casual eye contact?

And as for berrybook boasting of his 'conquest', I have no problem with that, either. The way the PlayBook is continually raked over the coals everywhere you look, including here on these forums, yeah, I'd say it's a noteworthy accomplishment when you're able to enlighten somebody that it isn't the total piece of crap the entire tech-blogging world would have you believe it is. Good lord people, take a chill pill and lighten up.
    undone likes this.
    12-28-11 09:23 PM
119 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD