Stopping to help someone in need is way different than offering unsolicited advice about an electronic gadget. Lol...
    You have a point. However, when I read the op's story I had visions of my parents looking at a display of tablets. Staring at them blankly like a monkey doing a math problem.

In this scenario, their need for help is greater in the electronics store than it is on the side of the road.

Like I said before, I think the creepieness level can vary due to many factors.
    12-28-11 07:05 AM
    people opinions, especially strangers, don't usually matter to me.
    This to me is what is wrong w/ the world today, when it comes to social enteraction.
    Why is it just because you know someone their opinion is more worthy than somebody elses? I personaully listen to everybodies opinion and like it. This doesn't mean I agree.
    You know showing somebody how something works or how to get to a feature isn't an opinion. Its fact. It is what it is.
    How would I feel if someone tried to sell me an iphone. It really depends. What's their angle? How much do they know about the device? Are they trying to cram apps down my throat?
    Since the op was a sincere attempt to help a stranger. I'll assume that a complete stranger is trying to help me. Suggesting an iphone for whatever reason. I will listen to what they got to say. Manly trying to learn something. I'll probally have a few questions. If they did a good job I would most likely ask them how do they like the device. And I would be very appreciative.
    However if they didn't know anything other than "touch this icon that happens" and "itunes has millions of apps". I would most likely walk off.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    12-28-11 07:53 AM
    If that's creepy we all better stop coming here for advice. Isn't everyone at CB in reality "strangers"? Unless you were like naked and wearing only a trenchcoat! Haha!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    But that's the distinction; the only real point of this forum is to connect with other people, even if it's merely exchanging messages. That makes this forum fundamentally different than an electronics store; people don't go to Futureshop for the conversation.
    12-28-11 08:02 AM
    This to me is what is wrong w/ the world today, when it comes to social enteraction.
    Why is it just because you know someone their opinion is more worthy than somebody elses? I personaully listen to everybodies opinion and like it. This doesn't mean I agree.
    You know showing somebody how something works or how to get to a feature isn't an opinion. Its fact. It is what it is.
    How would I feel if someone tried to sell me an iphone. It really depends. What's their angle? How much do they know about the device? Are they trying to cram apps down my throat?
    Since the op was a sincere attempt to help a stranger. I'll assume that a complete stranger is trying to help me. Suggesting an iphone for whatever reason. I will listen to what they got to say. Manly trying to learn something. I'll probally have a few questions. If they did a good job I would most likely ask them how do they like the device. And I would be very appreciative.
    However if they didn't know anything other than "touch this icon that happens" and "itunes has millions of apps". I would most likely walk off.

I'm into learning from my own personal experience. But that's me. I read to get specs. Like I said, I generally don't ask anyone's opinion. They're too varied and subjective.

In my OPINION people talk too much nonsense. As for social interaction...Facebook killed that.
    12-28-11 08:05 AM
    I'm into learning from my own personal experience. But that's me. I read to get specs. Like I said, I generally don't ask anyone's opinion. They're too varied and subjective.

In my OPINION people talk too much nonsense. As for social interaction...Facebook killed that.
    Here's the thing. You can pull up device specs true enough. That doesn't tell you how things look with a resolution of 480x800 on a 3.7" screen.
    Or a case I was in turmoil over a couple weeks ago. "How would you softreset a touch only blackberry and what did rim do with the other shortcuts." Can search it all day and find you can't do it on the 9850/9860 Torchs. But how many times is it written up by the IT department that something can't be done and we find a way to do it? Somethings google just can't tell you. You have to get your hands on it. Once you do and your in a store and the device isn't set up the way your use to you just have to ask how to get something done.
    I wouldn't post a question about anything on FB. I don't about yall but my FB is just a short hand of my families day. No tech specs rolling around. If I where to ask a question I'm certain I would be answered with 100 questions. At the top of the list of questions would be "what's a softreset?".
    Something you said struck me odd. So let's do it this way. How about he helps you with your flat tire and help him find his settings menu on his phone to setup tty.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    12-28-11 08:39 AM
    Blah.... Whats creepy is how my brother is a magnet for people looking for directions. Literally can be anywhere and someone will ask him how to go somewhere. Its quite remarkable.

Dealing with people that need help everyday, I can say for sure that the person was mentally raising the flag of help, of course no sales person is around and you being an Crack(berry)head..(lol had to throw that in there) knew something about the devices and helped. Now if you where just stalking around the store looking for someone to talk to, well that just annoying.
    12-28-11 08:57 AM
    Here's the thing. You can pull up device specs true enough. That doesn't tell you how things look with a resolution of 480x800 on a 3.7" screen.
    Or a case I was in turmoil over a couple weeks ago. "How would you softreset a touch only blackberry and what did rim do with the other shortcuts." Can search it all day and find you can't do it on the 9850/9860 Torchs. But how many times is it written up by the IT department that something can't be done and we find a way to do it? Somethings google just can't tell you. You have to get your hands on it. Once you do and your in a store and the device isn't set up the way your use to you just have to ask how to get something done.
    I wouldn't post a question about anything on FB. I don't about yall but my FB is just a short hand of my families day. No tech specs rolling around. If I where to ask a question I'm certain I would be answered with 100 questions. At the top of the list of questions would be "what's a softreset?".
    Something you said struck me odd. So let's do it this way. How about he helps you with your flat tire and help him find his settings menu on his phone to setup tty.
    That's why I would look at the screen myself to decide. What's nice to some is horrible to others. We all have different standards, needs, expectations, backgrounds.
    Someone asking me for specific help with anything is different than me offering unsolicited advice.

Also. Being female, I get approached way more than you do. It gets annoying for someone who is quiet and likes to keep to myself.

I would never accept help to change a flat tire. I make it a point to learn skills I'll need so I don't have to rely on others. That, and as I said, as a female accepting or offering help isn't always safe.

My only point was, replying to the OPs questions directly, I would be annoyed if someone offered to give me a tour of their device. I would decline. Politely. I'm not mean.

Annoyed isn't quite being creeped out, but most men are creepy. So I would be creeped out.

Someone not working at the store giving me a tour would be ok if I asked I suppose. If someone offered I'd just say no though. And probably leave because I didn't want to be bothered.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-28-11 at 09:34 AM.
    12-28-11 09:25 AM
    Also. Being female, I get approached way more than you do. It gets annoying for someone who is quiet and likes to keep to myself.
    This. Most salespeople assume that because I'm a female I should have brought a man along so he could get the low down on the tech aspects of whatever it is I'm buying. I hate that. I also tend to keep to myself and it's annoying when someone offers to show me something I already know about or am just not interested in. Like you, I politely say no and move along. Or call security. Whichever comes first.
    pkcable likes this.
    12-28-11 10:01 AM
    How is offering someone advise, showing them how a product works and how it could work for them be creepy?! I don't get it! To each their own I guess.
    nuangel2 and dodger_moore like this.
    12-28-11 10:19 AM
    Because some of us take it as an unwelcome invasion of our personal space. We have the right to not be infringed upon.
    12-28-11 10:28 AM
    I'm noticing a trend here. So let me change it right quick and a hurry.
    Help/social enteraction doesn't only come in oppisite sex seneros. So what if it was a female offering her help?
    That is your consit to assume you get approached more than me. In fact that's not true. I'm very approachable.I make myself so. It perfectly fine for you not to want to be "bothered". But I'm not going to leave the next woman in the ditch just because you can push your own car out of the ditch you found yourself in. 1 dY your going to need somebody. The time now to learn how to except or ask for help.
    It only becomes. Creepy if the help starts to become personal. "Oh lookie here this wallpaper matches the color of your eyes".
    dodger_moore likes this.
    12-28-11 10:31 AM
    How is offering someone advise, showing them how a product works and how it could work for them be creepy?! I don't get it! To each their own I guess.
    There's a huge difference between a salesperson coming up and asking if you need help and someone going over every aspect of what they can do with their phone, especially if it's unwarranted. I have no problem with asking someone who has something I want how they like it, but when a complete stranger walks up and starts trying to sell it to me, I back off. That's offensive, especially as a woman.
    12-28-11 10:33 AM
    But that's the distinction; the only real point of this forum is to connect with other people, even if it's merely exchanging messages. That makes this forum fundamentally different than an electronics store; people don't go to Futureshop for the conversation.
    Because some of us take it as an unwelcome invasion of our personal space. We have the right to not be infringed upon.
    I agree. I will not offer advice about electronic devices while I am in a store. That is what the salespersons are supposed to do.

If I spot a gadget I haven't seen before, or if someone approaches me to ask about a gadget I have, in Starbucks then I'll talk. A coffeehouse is a place for that type of conversation; an electronics store is not.

When I'm shopping in a brick and mortar store, I usually like to get in, get what I need, and get out quickly. I am inclined to have conversations in Starbucks, though.

I still observe body language, and if a person in Starbucks looks like he/she wants to be left alone, I do not chat. If I am busy in Starbucks, I'll tell someone I'm busy. It works, and I have not had awkward experiences in Starbucks.
    12-28-11 10:37 AM
    A more typical example of my conversations about Blackberry would be similar to the following one.

Last year I was waiting for a new battery delivered by UPS. I called my doctor's office and told the receptionist I would be late, since I needed to sign for a package.

When I arrived, the receptionist asked me what I got, and I told her it was a Blackberry battery. She said that she had a Blackberry and showed it to me. I showed her mine.

She noticed I had a theme, but she still had the default AT&T theme, so she asked me how I got my theme.

I proceeded to show her how to install 3rd-party themes.

It was somewhat awkward that she asked me what I got from UPS, but the overly personal question did lead to a nice conversation where I was able to help her with her Blackberry.
    12-28-11 10:51 AM
    Nothing wrong with it, im sure it was a plesant exchange. People that feel its not in fasion just can't see themselfs doing it. If they did it would turn out creepy so its best they don't. Friendly people that can provide good information sadly are laking.
    12-28-11 10:54 AM
    Im usually not one to participate in the back and forth banter that happens around here but i'm guessing the word "Creepy" is a little harsh in regards to what the OP was trying to do.
    12-28-11 11:09 AM
    This is a very interesting thread. I was reading every response and I can see both sides of the coin here.

Growing up in a suburb of Chicago, it was a very common thing to ask people about things and ask for help. It's the norm I grew up with. Living in New York now, it's a bit of a different mentality out here.

Being a guy myself, I can understand why a female would not want a guy to offer unsolicited help and how it might seem a bit creepy.

At the same time, I have gone up to people and asked questions in stores about products that I've been interested in (if they were standing near that specific product), as well as offered advice to people standing near a particular product, if I was going to look at that particular product (and if their body language indicated they were confused or needed help. I'm pretty good at reading body language).

Anyways, that's my take. Have a great day!
    12-28-11 11:35 AM
    It doesn't seem creepy to me and I would imagine the detractors were merely following their agenda of disruption and negativity. I didn't see who the posts were from, but I bet I could list 5 names and they would be on it. I get a lot of questions about the PB when out in public and I'm not ashamed to answer them. I will admit to being a BlackBerry fan but my biggest emphasis is about "What do YOU see yourself doing with a tablet?"

If I see that someone is truly interested, I give them the full demo.
    It makes them nervous at first because the first step is to pop it out of my CaseMate Pop case. Otherwise, they think it is thicker than it is. I show them the various swipe movements, open the demo vid, the browser and a couple of apps. Show them the multitasking and how to flick an app away, multi-tabbing the browser, etc. I mention the lack of some apps but point out that most have alternatives. I pop it back in the case and point out the convenient unobtrusive size of it. Then I tell them about Bridge and how it is THE obvious choice for most BB owners and others too, depending on their usage ideas.

What's creepy is people that think we are here by accident and didn't choose the PlayBook over the competition and feel the need to point out the equivalencies of their chosen platform.
    If someone looks or acts interested in something about which I might have some useful knowledge or experience, I will provide them with info unless or until they appear to become disinterested. I've had conversations with strangers about such things that ranged from a simple 'I like xxx product' to lengthy discussions about a product and their intended uses for it. Of course, I also crack jokes with perfect strangers in the Stop & Shop checkout line, so take that for what it's worth. But I will never intrude; if I have the slightest inkling that someone has no interest in my opinion, I just keep.it to myself.

Now if I'm looking at something and in need of info and some guy in a trench coat sidles up with his hands in his pockets ready to proffer some pearls of infinite wisdom, that I would find creepy.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-28-11 11:40 AM
    If we had the tape from the security camera, this would probably not be so hotly debated. With very little details of the incident in question, we are all picturing different scenarios in our heads. I don't see the OP pinning someone in a corner or stalking someone who's obviously not interested to complete his tour. I'm guessing they also read the body language involved. And I don't see why a store is any different than Starbucks. I'm not going to get into a debate with a saleman and a customer, but if someone's alone and looking lost, it's no different than traffic directions if I know the terrain
    12-28-11 11:55 AM
    Yes, it is creepy.

Use the golden rule. What would you feel if an Apple fanboi tried to convince you to buy an iproduct?
    I would have listened and said thanks for the info. In my case, the guy was engaged and seemed to be genuinely interested in what I had to say.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    12-28-11 12:14 PM
    I would be annoyed. I like to be left alone.
    If I saw that the guy was annoyed, I would have left him alone.
    12-28-11 12:15 PM
    You have a point. However, when I read the op's story I had visions of my parents looking at a display of tablets. Staring at them blankly like a monkey doing a math problem.
    This basically was the context I was in.
    12-28-11 12:19 PM
    There's a huge difference between a salesperson coming up and asking if you need help and someone going over every aspect of what they can do with their phone, especially if it's unwarranted. I have no problem with asking someone who has something I want how they like it, but when a complete stranger walks up and starts trying to sell it to me, I back off. That's offensive, especially as a woman.
    I understand this because your posting this as its a guy you don't really don't want to be talking to. What if its a woman or a MAN that you don't mind talking to?
    That's the conversation here. The OP was in a conversation with a person ( I dunno if its even a opposite sex case) and it was mutual. Meaning that it was wanted. It was a person out side of the situation that said it was creepy.
    I get it. If I saw you looking at say a Torch 9860 and I said that's a nice phone and you agreed and then I just bombarded you with how I got this setup and whatever. I can see that bothering you. Heck anybody does. But offering the opinion isn't intrusive.
    12-28-11 12:19 PM
    Now if you where just stalking around the store looking for someone to talk to, well that just annoying.
    Agreed. I was actually on my way out (and people were waiting for me) when I stopped by the tablets section.
    12-28-11 12:23 PM

My only point was, replying to the OPs questions directly, I would be annoyed if someone offered to give me a tour of their device. I would decline. Politely. I'm not mean.
    I gave a tour of the Paybook on display at Best Buy, not my BB Storm . The only way to show how the bridge worked was to pair it with my BB.
    12-28-11 12:27 PM
119 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD