Hello all!

I am new to the forums but a long time BlackBerry die-hard. I am as well, an industrial design student.

I was sitting today, glancing the Torch 9860 and thinking how would the evolution look like, running QNX. So I decided to give it a go and see what can I do.

I decided to call it the BlackBerry Stark, which means in German, "strong, powerful, robust, mighty, vehement", which I believe is a suitable name.

The size is:
    L: 125 mm ; W: 65 mm ; D: 8.5 mm - 11 mm thickest point

Screen size is 4.1" with an aspect ratio of 15:9. I kept the 4 iconic keys (all physical, yet understated) and the optical trackpad. Added front-facing and rear-facing cameras and dual flash. I went with mostly metallic components for the frame and back, added the two backlit stripes found on the 8520 between the keys. I also changed a little the font on the back, enlarged the call and end call icons and tried to "respect" RIM's design trend.

I hope you like it. So, would you like to have a phone like this?

I would really appreciate the feedback you might have.

SergeSC

EDIT: I added below a new modified and corrected version. On post #14.

EDIT 2: Added the picture in this post too.

EDIT 3: Added the first attempt at a slider form-factor. The keyboard is still missing and some extra details, but the basic form is done. Hope you like it.

EDIT 4: I'm done with the slider form-factor. I'll add several images for you to see.

I'm still ironing out some problems with the renders, but so far, that is done. What do you think?
    Last edited by sergesc; 08-07-11 at 08:51 AM.
    adrenaline_x likes this.
    08-05-11 01:04 PM
    i would say fill the back indent with a battery and you have a Torch 9860 v2
    08-05-11 01:06 PM
    It does look much like a 9860, but I must say your model is quite impressive.
    Which CAD did you use? Those renders remind me of CATIA models
    08-05-11 01:30 PM
    I really like this, I would totally buy something like that.
    I like the indent in the back because it seems that it may be easier to hold while typing.
    08-05-11 01:36 PM
    08-05-11 01:39 PM
    Did it using SolidWorks 2010 SP4 Professional and the renders were done with PhotoView 360. I specifically avoided using CATIA, since the quality of the render is not great.

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad you like it.
    08-05-11 01:52 PM
    i would say fill the back indent with a battery and you have a Torch 9860 v2
    Your suggestion is to make the entire back on the same level, right? Go to the thinner side or thicken the device entire?

I really like this, I would totally buy something like that.
    I like the indent in the back because it seems that it may be easier to hold while typing.
    I based it on the 9850, and increased the indent, at the same time made them symmetrical; I think that would be even more comfortable to hold in your hand.

Thanks for the replies! I'll see what I can modify on it, and next I want to give it a try on a candybar-like phone.
    08-05-11 01:57 PM
    Your suggestion is to make the entire back on the same level, right? Go to the thinner side or thicken the device entire?
    just from a realistic stand point, i do not see where the battery would go, and that cavity looks like the spot to put a big bad a$$ battery.
    08-05-11 01:59 PM
    just from a realistic stand point, i do not see where the battery would go, and that cavity looks like the spot to put a big bad a$$ battery.
    That's a good idea. I'll see if I can edit the back and give it a proper battery cavity. Might as well design the interior as well!
    08-05-11 02:01 PM
    Google dictionary -

"stark/st�rk/Adjective
    1. Severe or bare in appearance or outline
    2. Unpleasantly or sharply clear; "

Not my thing, but 10 out of 10 for effort and great use of some obvious CAD skills
    08-05-11 04:08 PM
    Maby if you rounded out the indent it would look better. In my eyes it looks too blocky.
    08-05-11 08:35 PM
    No.

and here is why sorry! to pick apart your design

The edges are too sharp, what makes the Blackberry beautiful is how no matter how you hold it it is always comfortable you would need to round out the edging far more to meet this prerequisite for BlackBerry devices

I am not a fan of the large size, BUT that isn't to say that size wouldn't sell, I think the device should have charging contacts, and a top placed Audiojack,

the 15:9 aspect ratio will be an odd ball to develop for, video is usually 4:3, 3:2 16:9, 1.85:1 and 2.39:1 devices should stick to these ratio's 16:9 being the most common moving forward with digital content in mind

that is all for now
    08-05-11 09:00 PM
    Looks like the one we saw about two years ago that some developer was showing with their app. Anyone remember that? It was when all the Storm 1 users got all excited thinking that phone would be an upcoming Storm replacement...lol! It was a little different, but had the same indented back.
    08-06-11 02:30 AM
    Google dictionary -

"stark/st�rk/Adjective
    1. Severe or bare in appearance or outline
    2. Unpleasantly or sharply clear; "

Not my thing, but 10 out of 10 for effort and great use of some obvious CAD skills
    Funny how Google gave me different results...lol well, naming is the least thing And thanks for the grade...lol

Maby if you rounded out the indent it would look better. In my eyes it looks too blocky.
    Hey, thanks for the input. I've rounded the indent as much as possible. Is it better like this?

No.

and here is why sorry! to pick apart your design

The edges are too sharp, what makes the Blackberry beautiful is how no matter how you hold it it is always comfortable you would need to round out the edging far more to meet this prerequisite for BlackBerry devices

I am not a fan of the large size, BUT that isn't to say that size wouldn't sell, I think the device should have charging contacts, and a top placed Audiojack,

the 15:9 aspect ratio will be an odd ball to develop for, video is usually 4:3, 3:2 16:9, 1.85:1 and 2.39:1 devices should stick to these ratio's 16:9 being the most common moving forward with digital content in mind

that is all for now
    Don't apologize. I posted it to be criticized, so I can learn how to improve it, after all, designers have to sell and listening to critics is the best way to know how to make it better.

Funny thing, the 15:9 is quite common I would think. 800/480 = 15/9 = 1.666, seemed logical in order to keep pixels squared. I have forgotten the audio-jack, no wonder why it seemed something was amiss. What do you think of the reshaped form? Where are the charging points normally on the Bold? I'm a mere Curve user (and always Curves for me as of now).

EDIT: about the resolution, I've been reading around, and the 9860/9850 have that screen ratio too, which seems rather odd. I guess most phones use this, as 800x480 is the most common.

So, I updated the shape a little, added a few details, and tried to give it a more "real" look to it. However, I do apologize for the "render", it is merely a print screen for now. Also, I added a background to the screen, is if it was ON.

EDIT 2: Forgot to add, I revised the dimensions. Added a little more depth to it, now it is 9mm on thinnest point and 11mm on thickest. Seems reasonable. According to the program, the weight is at 120gr.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome! Don't be afraid to say what you think.
    Last edited by sergesc; 08-06-11 at 05:39 AM. Reason: extra info on new design
    08-06-11 04:37 AM
    I like the last design, it looks sleek and fast. (But what do I know).

I can't however say anything about the ratio like deRusett. But maybe you best follow the ratio's that already exist, so there is less fragmentation. (Or doesn't it work that way?)
    08-06-11 05:08 AM
    I like the last design, it looks sleek and fast. (But what do I know).

I can't however say anything about the ratio like deRusett. But maybe you best follow the ratio's that already exist, so there is less fragmentation. (Or doesn't it work that way?)
    Thanks for the reply! I'm looking for a physical design that pleases the eye (hence me posting here).

About the screen, well the resolution will dictate if there is fragmentation or not. For example a 3.7" screen at 800x480 is the same as a 4.3" screen at the same resolution for any given software. Difference is that the pixels are larger on the second. For example, the HTC Desire and Desire HD (both WVGA) but 3.7" and 4.3" respectively, yet for HTC, they could've used the exact same software and it would've worked flawlessly.

Fragmentation appears when you have 854x480 (WWVGA or true WVGA), 840x480 (WVGA), 640x480 (VGA), 480x320 (HVGA), 960x540 (qHD), etc in the same platform.
    08-06-11 05:30 AM
    Thanks for the reply! I'm looking for a physical design that pleases the eye (hence me posting here).

About the screen, well the resolution will dictate if there is fragmentation or not. For example a 3.7" screen at 800x480 is the same as a 4.3" screen at the same resolution for any given software. Difference is that the pixels are larger on the second. For example, the HTC Desire and Desire HD (both WVGA) but 3.7" and 4.3" respectively, yet for HTC, they could've used the exact same software and it would've worked flawlessly.

Fragmentation appears when you have 854x480 (WWVGA or true WVGA), 840x480 (WVGA), 640x480 (VGA), 480x320 (HVGA), 960x540 (qHD), etc in the same platform.
    I think I understand more or less (would that mean if you keep the same resolution like the ones that the torches have now, that you wouldn't have to change the apps to run them on the future phones, or does that change because the future phones are QNX based?)
    I do have a question, what will you use as material for the back? Because I like leader feeling. (But that is personal of course)
    08-06-11 06:07 AM
    Yes plain and simple. My new phone is a infuse if that's any indication. But its gotta have anoff to power under the hood.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    08-06-11 07:04 AM
    I think I understand more or less (would that mean if you keep the same resolution like the ones that the torches have now, that you wouldn't have to change the apps to run them on the future phones, or does that change because the future phones are QNX based?)
    I do have a question, what will you use as material for the back? Because I like leader feeling. (But that is personal of course)
    I'm not so sure about it. BlackBerry OS is not the same as QNX; I have no idea, but my guess is that RIM would support legacy software once the new OS. If we suppose RIM does not support legacy software, an older app won't work on QNX, regardless of the screen resolution. Now, if we suppose that they do support those older apps, having the same resolution on both QNX and OS7 devices would make it easier for the app to work.

I think I am over complicating myself... lol

As of now, I've been using chrome for the accents, glass for the screen and camera visors, aluminium on the details such as side buttons and the backplate.
    08-06-11 07:10 AM
    I added a new model to the first post. A slider form-factor. It is still unfinished, several details are missing, the keyboard is not yet done and there is no micro USB port, those are all to come. However the main shape is finished, based on the previous all-touch design, added a Torch-like keyboard and made it somewhat thinner.

The size, closed:
    L: 110 mm closed and 150 mm opened ; W: 62 mm ; D: 10.5 mm thinnest point and 12 mm thickest point.

No place for front-facing camera, so there is none, but same rear camera as the first. No name either.

The screen size is 3.5" at 16:10. Same layout of Menu, Send, Back, Close Call and optical trackpad as the first. Keyboard is to be modeled after the one found on the 9800 but somewhat enlarged.

Weight is 23gr more than the all-touch version according to the software. Hope you like it, comments, suggestions and your thoughts are more than welcomed!
    08-06-11 02:25 PM
    Drop the 85xx's buttom separators and you've got a winner.
    08-06-11 04:01 PM
    I actually like them, the slide factor to.

Mostly I am surprised that QNX looks so good on a phone.
    08-07-11 03:04 AM
    Sorry to bump the thread, but as an update, I finished the slider and rendered it besides the full touchscreen. Images are in the OP.
    08-07-11 08:52 AM
    I think it looks ugly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-11 06:20 PM
    I think it looks ugly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    May I ask, why do you think that? What would you change?
    08-07-11 06:22 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD