Does anyone else think they'd have an easier time selling OS7 devices if they were on an upgrade path to BB10? Although it's painful to have to wait I think BB10 will probably be worth it. With that said I wish they would develop it's performance with OS7 in mind. People on the fence would feel better about the purchase and any new dual core phones would absolutely fly.
    mud314 likes this.
    12-19-11 10:39 PM
    I think if it had the promised Android player more people would take a look at it.
    12-19-11 10:54 PM
    If OS7 devices could run BBX, they would be called BB10 instead and would be competing in today's smartphone marketplace
    12-20-11 12:05 AM
    hahahaha oh so true
    12-20-11 12:18 AM
    Yes, they would IMO. But it wwould be so laggy that it might not be usable.
    12-20-11 12:29 AM
    Bold 9900 on OS7 is awesome for me, only going to improve with OS7.1. People just need to know about OS7 devices and the fact that they are a lot better then OS5 and OS6 devices.
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    12-20-11 12:31 AM
    Yeah, I think that would def sweeten the pot. I have to admit even though I never heard that they would, I was and am still hoping that a port could be made to the 9930. We have 8gs there and a not too bad processor. We can always dream .
    12-20-11 12:37 AM
    Bold 9900 on OS7 is awesome for me, only going to improve with OS7.1. People just need to know about OS7 devices and the fact that they are a lot better then OS5 and OS6 devices.
    I agree
    Also one thing that I see in the future of OS7 devices is OS8 OS9.
    Remember they skipped to 10 for a reason, OS7 devices will still
    get good support and many cool features in future updates.
    Not everyone will switch or like the new BB10.
    12-20-11 12:38 AM
    I agree
    Also one thing that I see in the future of OS7 devices is OS8 OS9.
    Remember they skipped to 10 for a reason, OS7 devices will still
    get good support and many cool features in future updates.
    Not everyone will switch or like the new BB10.
    I didn't think about that so much, OS8 and OS9 could be an Ace up BlackBerry's sleeve. Good call on that, makes the new OS7 very attractive. Even now OS6 phones seem to still receiving suppot!
    12-20-11 01:48 AM
    I feel it is just another reason sales assistants in network stores wouldn't push the sale of a BlackBerry. As it won't be upgradable to the new BB10.

If the OS7 devices could be upgraded then I think they would sell better.
    12-20-11 06:25 AM
    I still see no reason why the current hardware cannot run BB10... There are only 2 reasons I can think of and that is that RIM is going for a big launch of BB10 devices and porting the OS over to OS 7 devices before the release of new devices will steal some thunder and the screen resolutions of the current devices will cause a great deal of fragmentation which is something that RIM really needs to rid itself of in order to lure devs.
    12-20-11 06:39 AM
    Yes it could have, but would that have hurt new BB10 device hardware sales when those come out? Fact is that phone makers, whether it is Apple or HTC or RIM have to have new products coming out to keep selling hardware. US market is in a 2 year refresh cycle because of carrier subsidizing. RIM hurt sales of OS7 devices in the US by saying that BB10 devices would be ready early 2012 (to get investors to back off), which was only a 6 to 9 month wait after OS7 released. I think a fair amount of people decided to take RIM at its word and wait for the BB10 devices. We now know that isn't going to happen so all the people that decided to wait will now either go elsewhere or wait till BB10 is out because we are now 5 months into the BBOS7 life cycle. Had RIM said late 2012 when OS7 released they would have taken investor anger then, but probably would have sold more OS7 devices in the US. OS7 was a fantastic upgrade from my OS5 Tour, and the phone is great. I don't regret buying it at all. When BB10 devices come out I'll make the decision on if it is worth eating the cost on a non-subsidized upgrade, or wait till my next upgrade cycle is up. I will already have a BB10 device in my Playbook so no rush.
    12-20-11 08:52 AM
    NO. I absolutely do not think OS7 having a BBX upgrade path would have any measurable positive affect on BlackBerry OS7 sales.

The regular consumer walking into the store doesn't care about BBX, or the upgrade path, many users will never upgrade their device OS, unless the upgrade is OTA, which it wouldn't be.

The Enthusiast market purchased OS7 devices, knowing full well they didn't have an upgrade path, but really that is fine, as the Enthusiast market purchases a new phone every year.

The Promise of upgrade ability would put a damper on the OS7 experience to those users not in the know, does that mean OS7 is junk? and I should hold off buying until BBX? NOT! a idea RIM wants in the minds of probable BB buyers,

Now I would say that having a Interim BB7 device that can be upgraded to BBX Early/Mid 2012 would be a good move, not advertising it as such, but launching it, then WITH the marketing lauch of BBX letting users who have that device know they can get it upgraded, and have carrier stores set up to upgrade for the users.
    12-20-11 09:04 AM
    I sure hope that Rim doesn't make that bad of a decision. Every software has minimum hardware specs. With QNX it's dual core and a gig of ram. Rim will be supporting BB7 devices for a long time Because QNX will only be going onto a very few devices to start. Rim won't be able to make low cost BBs with the QNX OS. They might even rehash the current lineup with BB8 or the likes for some regions of the world.
    12-20-11 09:29 AM
    Maybe yes, maybe no.

RIM does not have a history or even a culture of treating early adopters/customers well. Sure, OS upgrades are not promised, but when they are delivered they leave a sweet taste in their mouths and that's what marketing is also about - by word-of-mouth. Even if some users eventually leave the platform and try other phones, they would still remember the goodwill that RIM showed to them and probably even recommend BB phones readily to friends and family members. It's simple, really. Treat your customers well, and they are more likely to reciprocate. Even if you have every right to charge them more $ for an OS upgrade, it's a nice gesture which can win hearts.

Today, if you buy an iOS device you can be sure you'll get to enjoy free OS upgrades from Apple. Extra functionality would differ across the user base depending on hardware limitations or what not. However, getting an Android phone almost always leaves you at the mercy of the manufacturer unless you're savvy enough to root and load custom ROMs on it.

@deRusset, while it may be true a few years back that the regular customer would not even bother about upgrading their OS, the landscape has changed now. Smartphone penetration is increasing and people are starting to get familiar with them. Phone broke down? Call tech support and they will ask which OS version you're on, and may advise you to rollback or upgrade the OS. This concept of OS versions did not exist in the era of feature phones, but it is getting imbibed into more consumers now. They are not ignorant of OS upgrades. In fact, the phrase "did you upgrade your OS?" is almost synonymous with "did you get more cool stuff/extra functionality?". In our BB context, it is almost synonymous with "did you get the latest bug fixes?".
    12-20-11 09:45 AM
    Yes.

Classic example of the Osborne effect. And should have been entirely predictable. RIM's co-CEOs have been talking up QNX for two years now without delivering anything they could actually sell. All it does is to drive away customers and third party developers away from current models.
    Last edited by loneweasel; 12-20-11 at 09:55 AM.
    12-20-11 09:52 AM
    @deRusset, while it may be true a few years back that the regular customer would not even bother about upgrading their OS, the landscape has changed now. Smartphone penetration is increasing and people are starting to get familiar with them. Phone broke down? Call tech support and they will ask which OS version you're on, and may advise you to rollback or upgrade the OS. This concept of OS versions did not exist in the era of feature phones, but it is getting imbibed into more consumers now. They are not ignorant of OS upgrades. In fact, the phrase "did you upgrade your OS?" is almost synonymous with "did you get more cool stuff/extra functionality?". In our BB context, it is almost synonymous with "did you get the latest bug fixes?".
    Yes MORE users do now than they did in the past,
    BUT Still many users never upgrade their computers, they don't install updates as much as they should, company's still Run Windows XP because once they have something that works they don't change it, the vast majority are still "tech dumb" that landscape is shifting, as we get tech smarter as a people, and "social skills dumb" but that shift is still a good number of years away, those "kids" who were raised in house holds of multiple Computers, gadgets, phones will find themselves the ones to easy update, and carriers/manufacturers/retailers will continue to make it easier with things like OTA and automatic backup/restore services
    12-20-11 09:54 AM
    Was this a serious question?

Thats like asking people if Android would attract more customers if it could (easily and stableyyyy ish) run iOS.
    12-20-11 10:26 AM
    I still see no reason why the current hardware cannot run BB10... There are only 2 reasons I can think of and that is that RIM is going for a big launch of BB10 devices and porting the OS over to OS 7 devices before the release of new devices will steal some thunder and the screen resolutions of the current devices will cause a great deal of fragmentation which is something that RIM really needs to rid itself of in order to lure devs.
    They won't. As stupid as it sounds, the current lineup won't meet the button requirements. Apparently BB10 has no buttons at all, which would render the current back, menu, call and end call keys useless. Same thing that happened to the HTC HD2 when they went from Windows Mobile 6 to Windows Phone 7.
    12-20-11 03:39 PM
    They won't. As stupid as it sounds, the current lineup won't meet the button requirements. Apparently BB10 has no buttons at all, which would render the current back, menu, call and end call keys useless. Same thing that happened to the HTC HD2 when they went from Windows Mobile 6 to Windows Phone 7.
    Haven't thought of the no button issue.

I'm struggling to picture a qwerty BlackBerry without the call, menu, back and end call buttons. They should just make the BB10 devices full touch and be over with it because having a qwerty device will lock it into landscape orientation and not to mention the challenges of squeezing a very high resolution into such a cramped screen.
    12-20-11 04:04 PM
    NO. I absolutely do not think OS7 having a BBX upgrade path would have any measurable positive affect on BlackBerry OS7 sales.

The regular consumer walking into the store doesn't care about BBX, or the upgrade path, many users will never upgrade their device OS, unless the upgrade is OTA, which it wouldn't be.

The Enthusiast market purchased OS7 devices, knowing full well they didn't have an upgrade path, but really that is fine, as the Enthusiast market purchases a new phone every year.

The Promise of upgrade ability would put a damper on the OS7 experience to those users not in the know, does that mean OS7 is junk? and I should hold off buying until BBX? NOT! a idea RIM wants in the minds of probable BB buyers,

Now I would say that having a Interim BB7 device that can be upgraded to BBX Early/Mid 2012 would be a good move, not advertising it as such, but launching it, then WITH the marketing lauch of BBX letting users who have that device know they can get it upgraded, and have carrier stores set up to upgrade for the users.
    I fully and totally agree with you!

I don't think I've ever seen a device have its main selling point being its ability to upgrade to the next OS.

The problem with OS7 sales is not because they can't upgrade to BB10, or not even that its a bad OS. OS7 is excellent, maybe not quite on par with iOS and Android 4.0, but it really closed the gap. The problem isn't the OS, it was the advertising. At least when OS6 was released, I saw quite a few ads for the Torch 9800. I even saw some for both Storms, the Pearl Flip, and the PlayBook. But I barely see any for OS7 devices. The only one I see somewhat consistently is AT&T's for the Torch 9810.

The average consumer doesn't know about BlackBerry 6, BlackBerry 7, BlackBerry 10, etc. That info is known by us here on CrackBerry more than anyone else, and that's why a lot of us here upgraded to OS7. Most don't know about the PlayBook, much less that OS2.0 is coming.

But if RIM can turn around its advertising strategies and go after sales with OS7, we can see a huge turn around in sales next year, at least until BlackBerry 10 devices hit the market. That's when the real turn around can begin!
    12-20-11 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD