The motorola pro 4G is about to be released and its rocking this iconic blackberry keyboard.Tell me in the comment section below if you think RIM should take legal action

Bell Motorola PRO+ 4G now available | MobileSyrup.com
    11-10-11 09:49 PM
    This is a 50/50 i think, it is definately extremely similiar to the 9000 keyboard/9900 but look at the numbers and what not I think thats what would seperate it apart, although I agree the button shape is is pretty exact to it.... its a toughy.
    11-10-11 09:52 PM
    I love the sue everyone mentality.

You are aware that RIM does license their keyboard at times right?
    11-10-11 10:04 PM
    I love the sue everyone mentality.

You are aware that RIM does license their keyboard at times right?

Your completely right man. I can't stand that because something looks similar then people sue.

To the op if they did try to sue moto would say its a flat keyboard and not a smiley face keyboard.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk
    11-10-11 10:30 PM
    I have seen in several forum posts as well as one video on YouTube (yeah, really solid sources) that Motorola owns the patent for 'a BB keyboard.' I would really like to see something more definitive but my searching has proven nearly fruitless.

RIM’s suit against Motorola, which also sells a range of thumb-operated Qwerty keyboard-based smartphones under the Motorola ‘Q’ brand, claims that the company infringed on several of its patents and tried to extract ”excessive licensing” fees from patents that Motorola owns. -- http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/64a78a8a-d...#axzz1dN26A9mM
    Last edited by zc1; 11-10-11 at 11:32 PM.
    11-10-11 11:11 PM
    Motorola would most likely say its based off of their Q series phones anyway. Did RIM sue when the Moto Q series came out back in 2005?
    11-10-11 11:20 PM
    RIM and Motorola have already duked it out. Started a few years back, and it was settled in 2010. They fought over a number of issues/patents. In a nutshell, Motorola is allowed to build devices with a keyboard "designed to be used with thumbs" of which RIM holds the patent.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 11-10-11 at 11:30 PM.
    11-10-11 11:24 PM
    I really hate Motorola... they are so bad.. fake phones, bad technology..
    11-11-11 06:58 AM
    I really hate Motorola... they are so bad.. fake phones, bad technology..
    Characterless is the word you are looking for. They are not bad, just forgettable.
    11-11-11 07:16 AM
    Nothing there to infringe RIM's design. The QWERTY keyboard layout of A-Z is not subject to any constraints, and the layout of the overlay keys (numbers, punctuation, etc) is completely different.
    11-11-11 07:42 AM
    im talking about suing from the elevated keys which are exactly like the RIM patent for there keyboard.
    11-12-11 11:43 AM
    How many laptops from different manufacturers have similar looking keyboards? You don't see laptop manufacturers claiming patent infringement.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-12-11 12:13 PM
    if you pay close attention , part of blackberrys keyboard design also has to do w/ the METALLIC STRIPES going vertical across the keyboard - if that's not copyright , i don't know what is - motorolla suxx ballz
    11-12-11 01:49 PM
    if you pay close attention , part of blackberrys keyboard design also has to do w/ the METALLIC STRIPES going vertical across the keyboard - if that's not copyright , i don't know what is - motorolla suxx ballz
    Different shape. Does not extend all the way to edge of keys on Motorola either. It looks different enough to me that it is not patent infringement.
    11-12-11 02:10 PM
    If RIM should sue Motorola, then RIM should be sued by Nokia. After all, Nokia was using trackpads when RIM still used trackballs.

Rickroller likes this.
    11-12-11 02:18 PM
    $350 OFF contract for that thing? DAmnn..that's a killer deal. Especially when you consider it's got 3.1" Gorilla glass (not plastic) screen, Autofocus, 1Ghz processor, and Wifi Hotspot already on it (no "coming soon" update needed). I might pick one of these up just for isht and giggles.
    11-12-11 02:45 PM
    $350 OFF contract for that thing? DAmnn..that's a killer deal. Especially when you consider it's got 3.1" Gorilla glass (not plastic) screen, Autofocus, 1Ghz processor, and Wifi Hotspot already on it (no "coming soon" update needed). I might pick one of these up just for isht and giggles.
    That's exactly what I did. Great phone, actually. As an aside, the photos also don't do it any justice.
    11-12-11 05:15 PM
    If RIM should sue Motorola, then RIM should be sued by Nokia. After all, Nokia was using trackpads when RIM still used trackballs.

Click to view quoted image
    that is ridiculous in my eyes, the phones im talking about is raised keyboard.not bubble buttons.
    11-15-11 01:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD