Alright, so I've been crawling along on my 8310 (ATT) for as long as possible and I don't know if I can do it for much longer. I'm eligible for an upgrade, have been since the Torch release, and I wouldn't mind having a 9780. The problem is, ATT is taking FOREVER to release it, I don't want the Torch, and the longer ATT waits to release the 9780, the more reserved I become about burning my upgrade on the 9780 when it does surface. Why? Because of the rumored "big" year of 2011 for RIM. I'm beginning to think we won't see QNX for a lonnng long time, but I wouldn't mind holding out to use my upgrade, for example, for a Touch screen + QWERTY Bold that might be QNX capable in the future.

So I'm leaning towards picking up a Bold 9000 to hold me over until the next era of Blackberries. I am not exaggerating when I say my 8310 is dying day by day. I wouldn't mind a used 9700 running OS6 to hold me over, but I also don't want to pay more than $150 so it looks like the 9000 is the target here. I've never bought a used phone, always been by the books buying phones on contract price and sticking with them for two years, so I'm a little weary about this whole thing. I just want to waste as little money as possible. As long as the 9000 is in no way a step back and can hold me over till an upgrade worthy phone comes to ATT, this can't be much of a waste can it?

Sorry if my thoughts seem jumbled. It's a hard spot to be in with an ancient phone, currently limited upgrade options, and a rumored Blackberry revolution on the horizon.
    12-07-10 08:23 PM
    Alright, so I've been crawling along on my 8310 (ATT) for as long as possible and I don't know if I can do it for much longer. I'm eligible for an upgrade, have been since the Torch release, and I wouldn't mind having a 9780. The problem is, ATT is taking FOREVER to release it, I don't want the Torch, and the longer ATT waits to release the 9780, the more reserved I become about burning my upgrade on the 9780 when it does surface. Why? Because of the rumored "big" year of 2011 for RIM. I'm beginning to think we won't see QNX for a lonnng long time, but I wouldn't mind holding out to use my upgrade, for example, for a Touch screen + QWERTY Bold that might be QNX capable in the future.

So I'm leaning towards picking up a Bold 9000 to hold me over until the next era of Blackberries. I am not exaggerating when I say my 8310 is dying day by day. I wouldn't mind a used 9700 running OS6 to hold me over, but I also don't want to pay more than $150 so it looks like the 9000 is the target here. I've never bought a used phone, always been by the books buying phones on contract price and sticking with them for two years, so I'm a little weary about this whole thing. I just want to waste as little money as possible. As long as the 9000 is in no way a step back and can hold me over till an upgrade worthy phone comes to ATT, this can't be much of a waste can it?

Sorry if my thoughts seem jumbled. It's a hard spot to be in with an ancient phone, currently limited upgrade options, and a rumored Blackberry revolution on the horizon.
    Take a deep breath. It's just a phone, focus on more important things.my curve 3G works great, it's just a machine though. Nothing more

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-10 08:37 PM
    9000 is a great device to hold you till the new ones drop on AT&T. And as you said, you can pick one up on Craigslist for $150. They are nice devices. Solid.
    12-07-10 09:32 PM
    Coming from at 8310, which I owned also, the 9000 is a nice step up. Loved my 8310 back in the day. Lol. Good times. Still have a red one around here for my back up.

Honestly though, I would try and add another 100.00 and you could have the 9700. If you keep you're eyes peeled, you may find one a little cheaper. To me, the 9700 is worth the extra money, but i do understand everyones situation is different.
    12-07-10 09:42 PM

First off, get what you want - now. The hype over the newer devices is cool for a minute or two. But, until the blackberries are available for purchase, doesn't matter. The rumored Blackberries are just that - rumored future Blackberries. Most of us see this every 4 -6 months with threads started about new and improved Blackberries that will see the light of day only when RIM is ready and not when we want them....... unfortunately. I have the 8310 (which are still selling BTW), and upgraded to the BOLD- which along with the Storm changed the game for Blackberries. You mentioned the BOLD which is still an awesome device, but, don't forget about the Pearl 3G or the Curve 3G. Either one of those three Blackberries should meet your needs while upgrading from an 8310. Good luck.
    12-07-10 10:00 PM
    If you have the need for a solid device that is more advanced/has better memory and functionality, waiting around for the next releases will keep you Waiting a lonnnnng time. 8310 is 2 generations old. It's time to come into a better world.

12-07-10 10:21 PM
    Thanks for the input so far. I understand the differing sentiments.

I'm just generally stuck because there is literally no phone I am interested in burning my upgrade on at AT&T right now. We're hearing less and less about the AT&T 9780, and my 8310 has begun making distracting noises during calls, losing battery fast, and having trouble charging.

Even with the longterm in question, I just can't decide what to do now. No matter what, the 9000 I'm considering will be simply meant as a bridge phone to last till AT&T can provide something worth upgrading to. This is why I can't really justify throwing down another 100+ on a used 9700 just to be a bridge phone, and if the 9000 really isn't a decent step up, I wouldn't be able to justify getting one either. I'm not totally strapped for cash, but with the need to buy Christmas gifts for others, I also don't want to throw away any cash.
    12-08-10 05:50 PM
    OP, have you changed or do you have a spare battery? That description you just posted above sounds exactly some of the issues I had with my Curve before I figured out the battery had failed internally. You can get a new battery for about $3 or so shipped, and I'd bet a buck that would tide you over unless you have another major issue.

I'd almost bet you have fast draining, data issues, timer popups going on also? Perhaps freezes up, or maybe a random reboot, as well?
    BlackBerry CS-2 Original Li-Ion Battery for BlackBerry 7100, 8700, 8703, Curve 8530, 8520, 8330, 8320, 8310, 8300, Gemini 8520:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

Last edited by BergerKing; 12-08-10 at 06:48 PM.
    12-08-10 06:38 PM
    its not a bad idea to get the 9000. but just be aware that it has limited memory space. so if you are a heavy app user, you might have to look at the 9700,9100,9300 for your needs.
    12-08-10 10:37 PM
    9000 is a great device. but if you want better battery life 9700 9780 has better life than the 9000. 9000 is also bigger so if you want a smaller phone go with the 9700/9780. and like said above has very little app space. i hope they make a updated 9000 because it was my favorite phone.
    12-08-10 11:39 PM
    OP, have you changed or do you have a spare battery? That description you just posted above sounds exactly some of the issues I had with my Curve before I figured out the battery had failed internally. You can get a new battery for about $3 or so shipped, and I'd bet a buck that would tide you over unless you have another major issue.

I'd almost bet you have fast draining, data issues, timer popups going on also? Perhaps freezes up, or maybe a random reboot, as well?
    BlackBerry CS-2 Original Li-Ion Battery for BlackBerry 7100, 8700, 8703, Curve 8530, 8520, 8330, 8320, 8310, 8300, Gemini 8520:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

I may be having this issue. I've got some of the symptoms, random reboots, etc. Additionally, I think I'm having issues with the charging port itself. I've also got a weird situation where the person I'm calling says it sounds like a swarm of bees on the line. I can tell what they're talking about but it must be amplified on the other end of the line because it sometimes prompts people to ask me to call them back.

But my phone is very temperamental. While no less annoying, this makes the issues a little bit more tolerable long term in the sense that my phone doesn't constantly do these things. Although the frequency is increasing. If I really, really needed to I think I could tough it out with my current device.

And to the others, there is no doubt that the 9700 or 9780 are superior phones for my purposes. The issue is that the 9780 is not available to me on AT&T yet, so I'm looking for something (used) to hold me over till the 9780 or later devices in light of my failing 8310. I think I could deal with the lack of app space. I'm used to not running much on my 8310.
    12-09-10 12:20 AM
    I will be honest and say I didnt read the entire thread thus far word for word.

However, I can answer your original thread name with absolutely certainty.

"Would picking up a 9000 be a bad idea for me?"

Answer: No, it is never a bad idea to pick up one of the greatest BlackBerry's ever made.

(I dont care what anyone says, its true!!!!!)
    12-09-10 12:47 AM
    Well, lack of juice can cause some freaky issues. Try a battery, $3 ain't gonna break the bank. Get through the Holidays and reassess your situation on the other side. If it's charging, a freaked battery can make it seem like the port is bad. The battery contains monitoring circuitry, and if it's bad, I've seen it really make a device seem like it is gonna die at any time. I replaced the battery, and never had a problem until the boys left it in a sink full of dirty dishwater for a day.

12-09-10 01:02 AM
    Upgrade now.

You'll have a new phone now, and be working towards your next upgrade as you wait , first for the newer berries to be released, second for the bugs to be worked out and things figured out. What's the sense of holding out till ^^ knows when, then being frustrated with a device that may or may not work well?

just my $.02
    12-09-10 06:40 PM
    Buy a 9700 to hold you over.
    It may be $100 more than the 9000 to buy now, but it will be worth $100 more than the 9000 when you go to sell it after you upgrade. So, really it doesn't cost any more in the long run.
    12-09-10 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD