Hi there. I have a Curve 9330. I live in a terrible cell service area and just hooked up my BB to my homes wireless internet so that im able to use it in the house. But im pretty clue less about WIFI. Can i keep it connected to my homes wireless signal all the time or should i turn it on and off as i need it? Any other tips or info on WIFI?
    11-19-10 10:46 AM
    use your homes Wifi all you want! It is great!

You can leave it on, as most of your BIS functions will be routed through the WIFI and help you cut down on data usage.

Head over to the WiFi forums and read through some of the threads.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/
    11-19-10 10:49 AM
    also, verizon says they dont charge extra to use WIFI, that is true correct? never know with them cant trust them
    11-19-10 10:54 AM
    also, verizon says they dont charge extra to use WIFI, that is true correct? never know with them cant trust them
    No, They dont charge to use the Wifi. Despite Wifi being awesome to use, it makes you want to use your BB more and more thus draining your battery like crazy... lol Keep a charger handy...
    11-19-10 11:03 AM
    Leave it on, it doesn't hurt anything by having it on. You'll just use less battery and get faster browsing and consistent messaging when you're at home, not limited by your weak cell signal. One advantage of using wifi on your Verizon phone is the ability to talk and browse the web at the same time (or send BBM's).

Many people shut their wifi on and off when they're not connected to it though. Leaving it on 24 hours a day will use a little more battery, but if you don't have a problem with battery life then you have nothing to worry about. I have wifi at home, school, and work, so I just leave mine on all day so I'll always be connected when in range. There's many apps that will shut your wifi off for you based on the cell tower you're connected to.

Here's a couple:
    WiFi Comrade - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    This one does it by time of day: SuperPower - Schedule when to turn on or off Mobile Network, WiFi and Bluetooth during the day - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

There's many more though, searching in both CB App Store and AppWorld will get you more options.

Unfortunately, wifi isn't going to help with calls and text messages though. Verizon does make Network Extenders for that if that's important to you though. They're kind of expensive, but they do work. All it does is connect to your home internet and re-broadcast a cellular signal.

Hope that clears some things up for you, also, Welcome to CrackBerry!
    11-19-10 11:03 AM
    My WIFI light is on AND my 3G light.....is that ok?
    11-19-10 11:04 AM
    Yes, that's fine.
    11-19-10 11:41 AM
    I have wifi at my house so I run off that but there's a public open wifi signal I could use since I'm close enough to the public library. Did any unsecured wifi networks show up when u tried to set up a connection?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-10 04:47 PM
    Like the rest of them said, I would leave it on while at home. It may use more battery, but you should have a charger around and so it'd be pretty easy to pump some more juice into it if the need came around.

When you leave, though, I'd turn it off. Unless you know you're gonna be in range of a WiFi and using it, it's a waste of battery to have it searching for a WiFi signal all the time. Like mentioned, they have programs specifically designed to do that, though.
    11-29-10 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD