Till it will no more be possible to get one

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 02:17 AM
    No. Even months ago, it was clear that the Z30 was already in the production queue, and components have to be purchased many months in advance (typical production time for a new phone is 12-18 months from initial design to having product boxed for sale), so it was a given that the Z30 would be released.

But while we've all heard about the Z30 for almost a year (and it's still not out in most of the world yet), you'll notice that you've heard almost nothing about any future BB10 phones. That's no accident: there aren't any in the pipeline, because there are way too many still in the warehouse. I'm sure there are DESIGNS for some future phones, but no components are being purchased/contracted for, which typically happens 9-12 months before a phone's release.

Right now, BB has plenty of phones in inventory to sell to enterprises for the next 1-2 years, at the likely rate they'll be able to sell them, so, no, I don't expect to see anymore BB10 phones, and I can virtually guarantee that you'll never see another BB-originated BB10 phone (I acknowledge that it's possible, if unlikely, that BB buys an "off the shelf" design from an OEM and puts BB10 on it at some point in the future).
    The C leaks and the K leaks, and the rumoured O series were there. The roadmaps were there. Assuming that if we take the news of "no new devices until March", and the fact that the z30 is a new generation of internals vs the 1st generation of BB10 hardware, then taking your argument that it takes 9-12 months in, then the phones exist, but got shelved.

Point 2 is granted that they will be focusing more intently on the enterprise sector and throw everything they have to dig in deeper in that segment, new hardwares (that may or may not come in the form of phones) will continue to exist. Or, to take with a great pinch of salt with the Board's announcement of "prosumers" and stuff, the enterprise hardware would, technically be a communicator device that does its job in delivering / packaging all that MDM solutions into 1 handheld communicator device. In that respect, with due respect, even if the communicator is only data only, or GSM enabled, it will still be a communicator hardware from BlackBerry and it should still find way to these targeted enterprise consumers. Suffice to say, even in your own words you use "if unlikely, that BB buys an "off the shelf" design from an OEM and puts BB10 on it at some point in the future", and even if they are no longer manufacturing their hardware, there IS and will STILL BE a need for a hardware to deliver the MDM system in the hands of the intended employees, whether as an add-on software via BES or a "full package".

The problem with that is that all of that "strength" is with BBOS, and NOT with BB10, and BBOS is a deprecated platform. No matter how many BBOS phones are sold, it's not going to help BB10 adoption.

But even worse than that: the (eventual, late) rollout of BBM for Android is going to kill off BBOS sales in those countries pretty quickly. Many uses ALREADY carry an Android phone for apps, and keep a BBOS phone for BBM, but once they can install BBM on their Android phone, the BBOS phones will be put in a drawer and forgotten. The service revenue from BIS, which is already falling quickly, is going to fall of a cliff. Much like Symbian, BBOS is a "burning platform."

That would be okay if BBOS users were migrating to BB10, but they're mostly migrating to Android instead, because there are apps and services on Android, but hardly any on BB10.
    I think you're just trying to say BB10 phones are just doomed even if anybody buys that. I for one disagree. The so called "strength of BBOS" but not "strength of BB10" is pretty off the mark, isn't it? If you're comparing BBOS and BB10, yes. But BB10 is now in BB10.2, and at core retains a lot of re-interpreted BBOS functionality. The fact that I come from Malaysia, and despite we had very little growth on BBOS devices, we saw a 300% growth on BB10. If face value data is to be accepted, all carriers that subsidized the BB10 devices do not require BIS to run, but in actuality switches the BIS customers on the BBOS to a "use on any device, with a certain xyzGB quota per month" data plan which is, by average going on the cheapest scale 3x more expensive than a BIS "full" package. Yet they grow.

Granted that this is one spesific market (i'm surprised myself since my country is basically a heavily invested in anything but BlackBerries), but it proves your entire point wrong, because you claim that the low end Androids will wipe the floor. Irrational? Yes, but since it has already happened, therefore the "must be true" scenario you painted is unfortunately wrong.

Not to mention, the entire post of yours hinges on the basic premise that everybody will at any given single time, only use 1 phone, and no other devices, which is pretty illogical in itself (look at it as a hymen, the "yes and no", or "is it inside or is it outside" factor). The reasons why? People are invested in multiple platforms without realizing that they are already in multiple platforms. Marketting attempts to convince people to lock themselves into a single ecosystem / single brand loyalty, but in reality this does not hold to be true. Or should I say, BlackBerry's job at this point is just to convince users that they would just need to be tempted enough to buy the phone, even if its only relegated to a secondary device (which suprisingly, works VERY WELL here!) irregardless of personal use or work use.

For example, I am typing to you on a laptop. Its a windows machine. I have a tablet, and its an Android and Ubuntu (dual boot, chrooted, bla bla bla). Sometimes when I'm away I use my BlackBerry Torch which i use as my primary communicator device. Variations apply where I may be using Linux, use an Android phone, but have an ipod, and a tablet of some sort (ios or android, or even playbook) and have NO blackberry device. This atypical User A scenario.

This example can be replicated again and again, and may exist in extreme variations of say user B has a macbook, has a mac desktop, iphone, ipod, ipad, and everything apple. But the devices are the same; a communicator, a computer, a mobile tablet (possible), and a media player of sorts.

Granted example of user C where everything he/she does is all in that phone. Which correctly, ideally is do-able, and such users do exist. Doesn't bother if he / she has a laptop, uses everything from his handheld device.

The problem with your entire argument is that you're assuming everyone as an individual human being, and anybody that is in a 'normal nuclei' family will be user C. I won't pursue much from here.

BlackBerry, oddly even in its demise found growth in Malaysia where there are A users, B users, and C users. Even weirder, people with iPhones buy a second hand z10 just for it to be a secondary device. Sure, I can find a floodgate of cheap Android devices that I can tweak it so that it feels, look and even imitate BlackBerry, but at what cost?

Let me give you a real example:
    I can buy a HTC Cha Cha, buy swift keyboard (or not, just for the prediction and the ability to type in 3 languages on the fly yo!), then change the launchers, buy greenify, poke around the systems a bit (may or may need to root, and therefore voiding warranty), go to xdaforums and download that framework project, install it, then tune the dang phone, install onavoo, get dark themes or set everything to black, bla bla bla. Even install a goddamned BBM for Android.

Then oh ****, all that Goople Play stuff, I have to use debit or credit card because that's the only thing accepted in my country. How much do I have to pay for all that again? The phone itself is RM1200 (USD372.38) not inclusive of bank charges for currency changes, app cost, bla bla bla bla bla.

Or, I could buy a Q5, and have all that, no need to even waste my time to modify it to look like a BlackBerry because it is a frickin' BlackBerry, with exactly RM1200 (372.38), and no warranty voided. Then I'll just have to find a cheapass quad-core tablet (SPECS MATTER YO! BLACKBERRY IS **** WITH SPECS, SO I MUST HAVE QUAD CORE YO!) from China with wifi for exactly USD100 (RM 322), or use the same amount and buy an (insert any affordable low end to mid end 5") Android phone and swap my SIM cards any time I want to. (Then again, I can't buy a RM1200 Android phone and find a RM322 BlackBerry tablet as a reverse combo!)... And for kickers I don't have to spend that too much time tinkering into the OS.

But then, that's atypical USER A or USER B scenario,

But then yes, your assumption is that all users will end up at being USER C, and therefore must choose Android because it has more apps and it has better specs.

That argument is just full of holes left and right, I don't even know how to plug it for you.

BBM on Non BB devices will make users completely abandon BB devices? I'm laughing so hard, because it has to be true, I think. *cough*
    09-25-13 11:47 AM
27 12