...and why should BlackBerry move backwards???
    The way from BB10 is BB11....
    05-02-14 10:59 AM
    which email service do you use?
    Hotmail, which is not linked together with a million other google like services that all track everything you do.
    Why on earth would you assume something stupid like most people here use Gmail? Because you do? Oh, O.K.
    Usually I am not anywhere this negative, but man, you have been doing nothing but saying all the most annoying things I can think of. Sorry for the attacks, but really?
    05-02-14 11:00 AM
    But what can go wrong with having Google? Most of us in here have a google account as well. and this may help in proper working of every android app
    They don't necessarily need Google's services. They need to create their own like services and substitute them into the android player when an app that uses Google services tries to make a call to one of them. BB10 can intercept that call and sub it for one of their own (or even a third party service). This coupled with the chatter about resolution no longer being a factor in app compatibility across devices will make it easier for devs to port their android apps over to BB world as it will minimize the required code changes. For the devs that refuse to port, BB will leave it to users to find these APK's on their own, nudge nudge, wink wink... snap or Amazon. If this philosophy can go viral (like jail breaking is now common knowledge on an iPhone) then it gives BB the best of all worlds. They won't cannibalize their own store and alienate their loyal devs. They also won't have to pay a dime to amazon, nor conform to Google OHA rules. And ultimately they will be able to give the user what they want. Apps and an ecosystem coupled with a secure, modern, and productive mobile OS.
    lift likes this.
    05-02-14 11:08 AM
    Silly notion. Blackberry would have to pay licencing fees to Google. Then they would have limited control of the core operating system. Not to mention pissing off all of their developers who worked on BB10.

It's like asking "Will Apple switch to Windows?" Silly!
    lift likes this.
    05-02-14 11:11 AM
    I thought that we were finished with these type of threads.
    Elite1 and phuoc like this.
    05-02-14 11:14 AM
    Afraid it's too late for that. Why would someone buy a bb android phone over any other mfg?
    Probably for the BlackBerry physical keyboard.
    Raddin and cosco993 like this.
    05-02-14 11:15 AM
    So it would sell as well as bb pkb's do now. Is that enough?
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-02-14 11:31 AM
    My last reply to anything you have to say. Of course I know Microsoft Mines my data. But I also know that on an Android device (any), ALL of the ton's of FREE google services on that devise are linked together, including your emails. Google linked all those services together so they can make a better profile of EVERYTHING you do on that device. Again, get educated and read their terms of services. Most of Microsoft's tracking can be limited. Try that with Google. Their ENTIRE business profile is advertising. In order to provide better advertising they mine everything people do. Why do you think their stock is over $600 per share? Because of their huge advertising business.
    I've been an Android user (Along with BlackBerry 10 and Windows Phone 8) for nearly two years now and I can guarantee that Google makes more money from my BlackBerry and Windows devices than they do from my Androids. The same is true for you on your BlackBerry 10 devices.

Since the first day my first Android device arrived, I have been rooted with ad blocking software and the ability to edit application permissions. Including the permissions of Google's own apps. For the most part, each time you look at an ad, you've made Google some money. Ads do not show up on my Android devices. Doesn't matter if it is the browser, apps or YouTube videos. Ads simply never get a chance to load on my Android devices. The same can't be said for my BlackBerry 10 and Windows Phone 8 devices.

So while I agree with you, that data mining and ads suck, at least with Android, you can root and then have some control over that matter. Not so much with BlackBerry 10. Honestly, a Android device that has been rooted and running AOSP is the best choice for a smartphone you can make if you don't like Google.
    05-02-14 11:35 AM
    OP has no idea how much would actually cost BlackBerry to even embrace android fully

Zee coolest flicking smartphone evah
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    05-02-14 11:39 AM
    I've been an Android user (Along with BlackBerry 10 and Windows Phone 8) for nearly two years now and I can guarantee that Google makes more money from my BlackBerry and Windows devices than they do from my Androids. The same is true for you on your BlackBerry 10 devices.

Since the first day my first Android device arrived, I have been rooted with ad blocking software and the ability to edit application permissions. Including the permissions of Google's own apps. For the most part, each time you look at an ad, you've made Google some money. Ads do not show up on my Android devices. Doesn't matter if it is the browser, apps or YouTube videos. Ads simply never get a chance to load on my Android devices. The same can't be said for my BlackBerry 10 and Windows Phone 8 devices.

So while I agree with you, that data mining and ads suck, at least with Android, you can root and then have some control over that matter. Not so much with BlackBerry 10. Honestly, a Android device that has been rooted and running AOSP is the best choice for a smartphone you can make if you don't like Google.
    THIS.
    also Ad Block Edge. The reason why i use firefox
    05-02-14 11:40 AM
    OP has no idea how much would actually cost BlackBerry to even embrace android fully

I remember that leaked business plan that one of the investors had come up with that projected it to cost billions to make the switch. Honestly, BlackBerry would be better of starting from scratch I'd they wanted to goto being an android phone maker.

Z10 addict, waiting for the next flagship Z...
    05-02-14 11:41 AM
    I remember that leaked business plan that one of the investors had come up with that projected it to cost billions to make the switch. Honestly, BlackBerry would be better of starting from scratch I'd they wanted to goto being an android phone maker.

Z10 addict, waiting for the next flagship Z...
    See that's the thing. With bb10 they already have wasted time ( good but late decision) to build from scratch. Starting over again would just kill them. Also they'd have to pay licensing fee and it would take a long time for them to come up with a worthy solution to . the security breach that's keeping Samsung from being approved by the dod full time. And finally they'd still have to compete with current android makers and then THEY'D OFFICIALLY HAVE TO ENTER THE SPEC RACE. Bb's weakest point to begin with and they wouldn't have anything new to offer.. all of this on cash strapped circumstances... I don't see it

JeepBB, Raddin and kbz1960 like this.
    05-02-14 11:45 AM
    I agree with those above who think it's too late to switch to Android. IMO, BB would struggle to fund the development costs of such a phone.

Anyway, there are already Android phones with a physical keyboard. They don't sell particularly well.

Even assuming the "draw" of the excellent BB keyboard would win sales, a BB Android phone with a physical keyboard would be targeting a small corner of a very small niche market. Few companies make it big by aiming small !

If the Z3 flops like all the other BB10 handsets have done, Chen won't move to Android, he'll do what he's already said he'll do (but many here on CB refuse to hear) - he'll drop consumer hardware because it won't bring in sufficient revenue to justify keeping it, and it'll be full-steam ahead for a BB Enterprise & Services future.

At that point, unless you are a BES connected guy, the BB we knew is over.
    kbz1960 and Raddin like this.
    05-02-14 11:47 AM
    See that's the thing. With bb10 they already have wasted time ( good but late decision) to build from scratch. Starting over again would just kill them.
    If they were going to switch to Android, it should have been right after OS7. Doesn't make sense to do it now. BUT, I'd still love to see them push out an update to unlock the bootloader on existing BlackBerry QNX based devices. I'd happily use KitKat on a PlayBook or Q10 right now if I could.
    JeepBB and phuoc like this.
    05-02-14 11:55 AM
    I agree with those above who think it's too late to switch to Android. IMO, BB would struggle to fund the development costs of such a phone.

Anyway, there are already Android phones with a physical keyboard. They don't sell particularly well.

Even assuming the "draw" of the excellent BB keyboard would win sales, a BB Android phone with a physical keyboard would be targeting a small corner of a very small niche market. Few companies make it big by aiming small !

If the Z3 flops like all the other BB10 handsets have done, Chen won't move to Android, he'll do what he's already said he'll do (but many here on CB refuse to hear) - he'll drop consumer hardware because it won't bring in sufficient revenue to justify keeping it, and it'll be full-steam ahead for a BB Enterprise & Services future.

Exactly if the z3 fails they'd just go full software within the next few years and maybe start licensing the os for a fee. If the z3 is a success which is possible, then they would be building for.the future . The thing is the z3 won't make a lot of money but could build their ecosystem which would give them a big leverage in competing with the big 2~3

05-02-14 11:55 AM
    If they were going to switch to Android, it should have been right after OS7. Doesn't make sense to do it now. BUT, I'd still love to see them push out an update to unlock the bootloader on existing BlackBerry QNX based devices. I'd love to rock KitKat on a PlayBook or Q10 if I could.
    I still disagree. They still don't have enough money to compete in the android market. There's a reason they under spec and it's not because they want to... frankly I think that's one of the Genesis of the fox conn deal

kbz1960 likes this.
    05-02-14 11:56 AM
    I still disagree. They still don't have enough money to compete in the android market. There's a reason they under spec and it's not because they want to... frankly I think that's one of the Genesis of the fox conn deal

Re read what I said, I never said they need to compete in the Android market, they wouldn't need to do anything besides unlock the bootloader and devices like the PlayBook could be made to run KitKat. Look at the HP TouchPad, do you think HP made KitKat for that tablet? Nope
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-02-14 12:00 PM
    If Z3 fails globally, and financial quarter results show a negative sign as well, do you think Blackberry will go for Android and Google as their last resort? or will make more BB10 Devices as usual?
    No money in Android. They would lose the last of their business customers by going with Android. Android cannot be made secure unless you rewrite it from the ground up.
    lift and phuoc like this.
    05-02-14 12:09 PM

Think Chen will go back to some of those offers in the $4 - $5 Billion range from last year and see what can be worked out. That said I'm not sure what Chen would call a flop.... he might be happy with 1 million sold in one quarter. But if they only sell a few 100K worth of them, and sales of the rest of the line continue as they have been.

Just don't see waiting until this fall on the hopes that BES12 is what everyone is waiting on or that a more "classic" device would be the difference. Chen has said they need two years - but you can bet he expect to see some results before this year is done.
    05-02-14 12:11 PM
    No money in Android. They would lose the last of their business customers by going with Android. Android cannot be made secure unless you rewrite it from the ground up.
    On what basis, do you call android unsafe? please elaborate without using an answer from google
    05-02-14 12:13 PM
    If they were going to switch to Android, it should have been right after OS7. Doesn't make sense to do it now. BUT, I'd still love to see them push out an update to unlock the bootloader on existing BlackBerry QNX based devices. I'd happily use KitKat on a PlayBook or Q10 right now if I could.
    That will never happen.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-02-14 12:16 PM
    On what basis, do you call android unsafe? please elaborate without using an answer from google
    Can you root Android? Yes. That means it isn't secure.
    lift likes this.
    05-02-14 12:16 PM
    No money in Android.
    Not sure out of all OEMs, but I do know that both Samsung and LG made profit from Android last quarter. Now, can you name anyone that is making from BlackBerry 10? Any company at all?
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-02-14 12:22 PM

You are absolutely right. But let me ask you a really important question. Aside from people in the know like yourself, how much of the actual android using population knows how to root or even knows what that means. If android devices came rooted, then I wouldn't be so hard on Google. But if you didn't root your phone, be honest, it is nothing but a tracking disaster. Before I had a BlackBerry smartphone, I had an android LG smartphone. I saw all the google services and apps running in the background that couldn't be stopped or uninstalled. The phone was sluggish and had so much stuff tracking and running in the background that it was sickening.
    So, your a smart guy. I can see that. But be a little more honest as to what 99% of the population knows about rooting and how 99% of the population uses their phones.
    Rooting is not for the technically challenged. Rooting is not always possible and can brick if not done right. And last but not least, why should I HAVE to root a phone just so that it isn't by default a tracking machine?
    I can't root my BlackBerry, but let me tell you, I am smart enough to know how to set it up and clear cookies, data and caches to keep any ad's or tracking to a minimum.
    Karan Mohal and Oladeji01 like this.
    05-02-14 12:22 PM
    You are absolutely right. But let me ask you a really important question. Aside from people in the know like yourself, how much of the actual android using population knows how to root or even knows what that means. If android devices came rooted, then I wouldn't be so hard on Google. But if you didn't root your phone, be honest, it is nothing but a tracking disaster. Before I had a BlackBerry smartphone, I had an android LG smartphone. I saw all the google services and apps running in the background that couldn't be stopped or uninstalled. The phone was sluggish and had so much stuff tracking and running in the background that it was sickening.
    So, your a smart guy. I can see that. But be a little more honest as to what 99% of the population knows about rooting and how 99% of the population uses their phones.
    Rooting is not for the technically challenged. Rooting is not always possible and can brick if not done right. And last but not least, why should I HAVE to root a phone just so that it isn't by default a tracking machine?
    I can't root my BlackBerry, but let me tell you, I am smart enough to know how to set it up and clear cookies, data and caches to keep any ad's or tracking to a minimum.
    1. i clean cookies
    2.i clean data
    3.i clean cache
    4.therefore, i'm smart
    05-02-14 12:27 PM
86 1234