I've been thinking about the lack of substantial Z50 rumours despite obvious demand, and I'm pretty sure this is the reason: a Z50 is coming in early 2015, but they need to really keep this under wraps or it kills the Passport. Think about it, how many BB lovers are considering buying the Passport? Lots, judging by recent polls here. But if they announced a Z50 for ~February 2015, how many would simply wait and go for the "safe" route? Probably the majority. How many carriers would also choose the safe option and only stock the Z50 (of the carriers who even still stock BB)? Again, most. End result: Passport is DOA.

Whether BB's next flagship were the Passport or the Z50, the early adopters will only be BB fanatics. Think of the Z30, wildly popular in the BB community but otherwise a total commercial failure and went totally unnoticed by 99% of consumers. The Passport won't be a hot seller either, but the difference is it won't go unnoticed. It's different and innovative, everyone's got to give it that. It might be the one chance BB has to get people to notice them again, get them curious and playing with the model in the store and experiencing the amazing specs, Amazon App store, and OS 10.3. Maybe, just maybe, the perception of BB will start to change (today most people still don't even know OS10 exists) and even if non-BB consumers don't buy the Passport in big numbers they might take a closer look when the Z50 arrives.

We all love the Z30 but from a company position it was a huge money loser and wasted investment. We'd all love the Z50 too but it'd be the same commercial failure. BB needs to change the minds of the masses before a conventional flagship has a change, and the Passport is the chance to do that. But to survive, the Z50 must remain a rumour for now! What do you all think?
    09-10-14 12:10 PM
    I'm thinking you can't speak for all BB owners when you say they'd wait for a Z50.
    Sounds like there is quite a following for keyboard devices.
    09-10-14 12:36 PM
    No, I don't see why it,would be DoA. I also don't know why so many people around here claim it would be DoA because of other phone, iPhone 6 for example. The Passport has unique features which would set it apart from other devices. The first and obvious thing would be the keyboard. After almost half a year with a virtual keyboard as a daily driver, I was pretty relieved to get back to my Q10 and the physical QWERTY.

Followed by the unique trackpad ability which in this form is not available on any full\touch phone (that I know of) either.
    Plus I think many people are curious to check the new touch sensitive keyboard out, after all it is the very first attempt to port the keyboard over to the touch world.
    09-10-14 01:04 PM
    I would be willing to bet that the passport is such an unusual phone, there isn't much out there that will stay those willing to buy one.

I would buy one, but I spent all my disposable income on shoes. #problems

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 01:29 PM
    I don't think it would be DOA. One - BB fans have been waiting for a new phone long enough. You can ALWAYS wait for the next thing to come around, but when it does, why not wait for the NEXT and again and again. Gotta pull the trigger sometime. Two - those interested in the Passport are likely interested in it because of the new design and keyboard - if the Passport and a similar specced full-touch device were offered at the same time, I still think there would be similar interest in the Passport. Classic for me though
    09-10-14 02:34 PM
    If the rumors Z50 turns out to be true most BB users will wait anyway
    09-10-14 05:35 PM
    If the rumors Z50 turns out to be true most BB users will wait anyway .
    09-10-14 05:35 PM
    Keep in mind that we saw parts for the Passport way back in January (the square screen, and the overall shape from some case manufacturers' samples), and 9 months later, it hasn't been released yet. Actually, there were pictures of prototypes even earlier, and I remember people thinking the aspect ratio of the pictures were off and folks even "corrected" them to try to imagine what the phone would look like. The point is: phones don't just spring to life out of nowhere, especially if it's a fairly new design or if there is more than one company working on the design. There is a long development time, and lots of potential for leaks.

Thus, if a Z50 was scheduled for launch before summer, we'd be hearing about it already. We heard about the Passport and Classic nearly a year ago now, yet we've seen nothing about a "Z50" and there have been no specific mentions from BB so far. For those reasons, I suspect that the absolute earliest we'd see a flagship touchscreen from BB would be summer 2016, and possibly fall. For that matter, BB may be waiting to see how the Passport, Classic, and Z20 (aka Z3 LTE) do before committing to a flagship touchscreen, or any future devices. Even if you assume they will definitely continue making devices, the lead-time means we'd know about them (something of substance, not pure speculation) quite a while in advance.
    09-10-14 06:27 PM
    "flagship" has got to be the most over used term of 2014.
    Blacklatino and kbz1960 like this.
    09-10-14 06:31 PM
    Since I know very few BB users anymore - most have moved to Iphones or Androids, I can say that when I ask them if something like the Passport with a physical keyboard interests them, they almost always say no. Physical keyboards interest a very small percentage of users.

My friends are hmmmmmmmmm, mostly Chen's target audience - Doctors, Architects, Attorneys, etc.

When I ask them about a large screened (5.5") BB10 without a physical keyboard, they say possibly as they are interested in screen size. Mostly they are using Galaxy Notes, etc., with a few Iphones that are company issued because it is the phone the youngsters want.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-10-14 06:39 PM
    Lately, I've started to miss the keyboard. No doubt, the z10 has a great keyboard. But I feel restricted while typing with the touch keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-10-14 06:47 PM
    Lately, I've started to miss the keyboard. No doubt, the z10 has a great keyboard. But I feel restricted while typing with the touch keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 touch keyboard is great, I have a Z10 and a Q10, but yes, it kinda feels restricted, because if it's not up, you can't press anything.

The instant search on the Q10 is still a major advantage. Just start typing.... and it brings up stuff. No need to tap anything, not even a Search icon / magnifying glass.

I'm excited, because the Passport will show more stuff and more rows in the instant search, adding productivity....

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    Blacklatino and Thunderbuck like this.
    09-11-14 12:39 AM
    I am a huge BlackBerry fan. I've had BlackBerry's going back to the 7120, Pearls, Curves, Torches, Bolds, Z10, Q10, and Z30.

As big of fan as I am, statistically speaking all BlackBerry 10 devices have been DOA independent of other BlackBerry 10 releases. People simply are not converting from iOS or Android and worse yet, a preponderance of BlackBerry users are still on legacy devices and there's no definitive reason to the suspect the Classic will change that or the Passport or any future device. I'm not a doom and gloom "BlackBerry will be dead soon type", but I'm really beginning to believe a major move needs to be made soon.

"Fly Eagles Fly" | White Q10 on VZW from Philly
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-11-14 12:58 AM
    I am a huge BlackBerry fan. I've had BlackBerry's going back to the 7120, Pearls, Curves, Torches, Bolds, Z10, Q10, and Z30.

As big of fan as I am, statistically speaking all BlackBerry 10 devices have been DOA independent of other BlackBerry 10 releases. People simply are not converting from iOS or Android and worse yet, a preponderance of BlackBerry users are still on legacy devices and there's no definitive reason to the suspect the Classic will change that or the Passport or any future device. I'm not a doom and gloom "BlackBerry will be dead soon type", but I'm really beginning to believe a major move needs to be made soon.

"Fly Eagles Fly" | White Q10 on VZW from Philly
    Your view is unrealistically grim.

I took a look at the financials for the last quarter that we have them, and they showed about a $10 million dip from the previous quarter, which in itself is fairly promising given the quarters where revenue was down by hundreds of millions.

There are two facts that got kind of buried, though. One (which you may have heard) is that BB10 devices finally outsold BBOS devices in that quarter, showing that there IS a trend up. The even better fact, though, is that revenue from device sales alone was actually UP, indicating that sales were improving. The Z3 had only been in the market for a few weeks in one country when the books closed on that quarter, so that couldn't have been the only thing lifting sales.

There's a new, controversial handset coming out in a few weeks, and it's bound to get people at least talking about BlackBerry again ("really? They're still around?!"). The Passport won't sell in numbers that will save the company but I'm willing to bet that it will at least do better than the fairly decent Z30.
    Blacklatino and web99 like this.
    09-11-14 01:12 AM
    I hate hate hate hate hate all touch phones! Even the z10 and 30!

Please blackberry never make one againn!!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 02:03 AM
    Nah.

Q10: SQN 100-5 v. 10.2.1.2102
    09-11-14 07:44 PM
    BlackBerry can't keep a secret. There's no all touch in the next 6 months.

My opinion..

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 07:49 PM
    Two different targets with minor overlap. Hardly encroaching into each other's market.
    09-11-14 07:58 PM
    OP....I'm looking for a keyboard device. So a new all touch device is not going to sway me one bit. My Z30 is friggin awesome. Don't need/want a bigger screen size, and the battery, specs and features of this phone outpace my needs and demands of what I need my phone for.

The Classic and Passport are highly anticipated for me just because it's a chance to get the latest BB10 OS on a great keyboard device. I miss a keyboard, simply put. If I find myself pushing the limits of my Z30, that's when I'll shop around for another all touch device. Until then, I'm super happy with my Z30 and waiting patiently for either the Classic and Passport.

Having used a Passport for a full day, I'm aware of the immediate adjustments I'll have to go through. The keyboard, device size, and feel. All new, but still familiar. The screen size and dimensions is by far the bjggest seller to me. Once you get over the immediate 'oddness' of it, it becomes a serious workhorse.
    09-11-14 08:02 PM
    More like the iPhone 6 would make a Z50 DOA. As much as we all seem to love BB10 at the end of the day it's a physical keyboard that keeps people with BlackBerry. After the Z30 experience BlackBerry knows this - great device, didn't sell.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 09:21 PM
    I doubt Chen has even decided if there will be a Z50. That will depend on how the handset business goes over the next couple of quarters.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-11-14 09:40 PM
    It would make a lot of BlackBerry fans happy and I doubt that it would affect the sales of the passport. The passport is unique and it's a keyboard phone.

Posted via CB10
    amjass12 likes this.
    09-12-14 12:06 AM
    IMO this discussion is about two different categories, so I don't believe that a Z50 released at the same time as the Passport would impact the sales of the Passport. I have no interests in the Passport or any other physical keyboard phones. I don't believe I'm not the only that feels that way.

I'm disappointed that it seems like a new full touch phone won't be released along with the Passport.
    09-12-14 03:02 AM
    "flagship" has got to be the most over used term of 2014.
    Up there with ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-12-14 03:26 AM
    Up there with ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    And "phablet".
    09-12-14 06:02 AM
35 12