Hi all

I wanted some advice. I have an android device at the moment and want to get a Blackberry handset. I saw a Blackberry Pearl 8120 for 35, is it worth getting this handset or shall i save up for a more recent blackberry handset. bearing in mind that I have never had a blackberry handset before

Immy
    11-15-11 09:40 AM
    my advice for you is first to see what kind of bb do you want to take ,, old berries are kinda good still .. but the newest will always give you the best imagine of Blackberry Devices
    Pearl has the old style buttons in it ;p
    if you like those then go for it ! , take the newest Pearl !
    but if you like keyboard more then i would really save my money for 9900 for example , or to take Torch 9810 instead =) , or you can get the new device 9790 that just published today ;D ,, Good luck ^^

>> yup i'm not really a fan of all-in touch device :P ,, but you can see them as well =P
    11-15-11 09:50 AM
    Not worth the hassle of getting a trackball again.

If you get an older one, at least get one with a trackpad (trust me)

But, If I were you I would just get a new OS 7 device. The Bold 9900/30 is the best BB out now
    11-15-11 10:36 AM
    A Pearl form factor is not for everyone. You don't get the full Blackberry experience because it doesn't have a full keyboard. I know 2 people who's first Berry was a Pearl, and they left Blackberry for another Platform with a bad taste in their mouth.

If you can get your hands on one for a good price, try to get a Blackberry Bold 9000 or Curve 8900. Both are great older devices.
    11-15-11 11:00 AM
    Absolutely Not! Do not get an old BB. They are slow, glitchy and irritating. You will find yourself swearing at it on a daily basis. That was my experience with my Storm 1 and Storm 2 on OS 5 and OS 6 anyway. I really, really hated those phones. They would just lock up sometimes for no reason and i'd have to do a battery pull at least twice a day. Plus i would just click on an icon and wait for 5 whole seconds while it would just try to bring the next screen up. All i got from from them was frustration.

That was my experience anyway. I'm not trying to be a hater on BB's. As i absolutely love my Bold 9930. I'm trying to help you out with my experience. By all means read what others are saying too. I'm sure others had more positive experiences than me.. Just throwin in my 2 cents..
    shemaree09 and Caymancroc like this.
    11-15-11 11:21 AM
    Save up and get a new one, it's not the instant gratification option but I'm willing to bet you'll feel better about your choice in the long run.
    11-15-11 11:22 AM
    I agree, get a new one, save your pennies
    11-15-11 11:51 AM
    Absolutely Not! Do not get an old BB. They are slow, glitchy and irritating. You will find yourself swearing at it on a daily basis. That was my experience with my Storm 1 and Storm 2 on OS 5 and OS 6 anyway. I really, really hated those phones. They would just lock up sometimes for no reason and i'd have to do a battery pull at least twice a day. Plus i would just click on an icon and wait for 5 whole seconds while it would just try to bring the next screen up. All i got from from them was frustration.

That was my experience anyway. I'm not trying to be a hater on BB's. As i absolutely love my Bold 9930. I'm trying to help you out with my experience. By all means read what others are saying too. I'm sure others had more positive experiences than me.. Just throwin in my 2 cents..
    Absolutely! I think this caused many people to jump ship. Thats why sooo many people on other platforms also think that ALL Blackberry's are this way even though they have improved tremendously!

To me its like passing up a Windows 7 laptop for a Windows 95 computer lol

OS 7 is light years ahead of OS 5 and below!

+1 on the new Bold 9930, you cant go wrong with this one.
    Last edited by shemaree09; 11-15-11 at 12:00 PM.
    11-15-11 11:56 AM
    thank guys for your opinions and after reading them I have decided to get the Blackberry 9360 brand new from t-mobile . If I need any help with my new Blackberry I will post it on here

Immy
    11-15-11 01:19 PM
    Well I just set up my wife's old Pearl 8120 (pink) for my niece a few weeks ago and she's got no complaints, she's bbming like a good one, even set up a few groups.

The little known fact about the old Pearl is it has two speakers so the sound comming out of it is pretty good.

If you just need texting/bbm etc I would say go for it, it's a bargain.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-11 02:39 PM
    IF YOU WANT A BLACKBERRY experience , please don't ever start off downgrading your standards , and pearls suxx for testing out the berry experience , i wouldn't even consider them full keyboards . 9900 , and don't bother being cheap , go hard or go home
    11-15-11 10:12 PM
    Hi all

I wanted some advice. I have an android device at the moment and want to get a Blackberry handset. I saw a Blackberry Pearl 8120 for 35, is it worth getting this handset or shall i save up for a more recent blackberry handset. bearing in mind that I have never had a blackberry handset before

Immy
    Are you switching devices completely? as in the blackberry will be your only device and the android will be sold or stored? If you are, then get a good blackberry, anything that runs OS 7, like 9900, 9810, 9860/50, 9360. If not, then you need to tell us what do you want it for. If its just an extra phone for BBM or messaging, then even the 8520 or the 9700 will work fine for that.
    11-15-11 10:26 PM
    If RIM made the original Bold 9000 with the touchscreen, trackpad, and keyboard of the 9900 (along with OS7), that'd be the ultimate BB. I just love the old 9000 formfactor and how sturdy and big it feels while holding the it.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-16-11 03:54 AM
    Are you switching devices completely? as in the blackberry will be your only device and the android will be sold or stored? If you are, then get a good blackberry, anything that runs OS 7, like 9900, 9810, 9860/50, 9360. If not, then you need to tell us what do you want it for. If its just an extra phone for BBM or messaging, then even the 8520 or the 9700 will work fine for that.
    Hi

I'm going to keep my HTC Wildfire for know and keep the Blackberry as an extra handset so I can talk to my friends who have BBM. The main reason of getting a cheaper Blackberry is so that I can try out the Blackberry platform and see if its worth investing in a better handset

Immy
    11-16-11 09:10 AM
    The pearl isn't for everyone. With that being said my wife absolutely loved her pink 8110, and loves her new pearl 3G(9100) now. The predictive typing on it works very well. When I play with it I never have to tap tap to get the letter I want, just type away and it somehow knows what word I was looking for. Best part is the 9100 gets OS6 which isn't that much different then OS7. If you like the form factor, and don't mind the reduced keyboard, then go for it. Its not the best and latest but will definitely still give you that blackberry feeling.
    11-16-11 09:21 AM
    No getting old BB. I hated the glitches and worst of all, the phone you want doesn't have a trackball so if something goes wrong then you won't have any support. Rarely will you get any means of support ( apart from the forums though.....)

11-16-11 09:59 AM
    Great choice, the 93XX line is a great introduction to the BB world expecially the new ones that run OS7, which the 9360 does. And while the keyboard is NOT as good as the Bold 99XX line, it IS good. I don't think you will be disappointed.
    11-16-11 10:06 AM
    If you want a Blackberry "Classic" designed then get a full QWERTY keyboard device...
    if you are short with the cash then you can get the 9700 Blackberry Bold or another Bold Blackberry device.
    If you are going to get a phone which is up-to-date then get one of the new devices.. 9900 Bold Blackberry is a great mobile device and i think it's one of the best communications devices out there right now - the 9790 should be even more..

If you like the landscape design phones then you can get yourself the 9860 Torch or wait for the new Blackberry 9380 Curve.

Don't go with the "Storm" Blackberry devices...
    the pearl 8120 was nice for the time smartphones started but now it's not a good phone to get used to. the keyboard is not so good, not as a full QWERTY one and the tech is already old.

It's worth to save some money and get yourself a nice phone.. you can go with contract and get one of the new Blackberry phones or you can buy some older Blackberry Bold in a good shape for a fair price from hands.
    11-16-11 11:42 AM
    Hi

I'm going to keep my HTC Wildfire for know and keep the Blackberry as an extra handset so I can talk to my friends who have BBM. The main reason of getting a cheaper Blackberry is so that I can try out the Blackberry platform and see if its worth investing in a better handset

Immy
    I just had the opportunity to use an OS5 device (curve 9300),and that already felt really old to me.. I really wouldn't spend money on an older device to decide if you want to invest in a newer one, I'm not sure an older one would represent what is current in any way. You should just just buy a new one, with the return policy in mind, use it, and if it doesn't work out-return it (unlikely. lol jk that's just my opinion)
    11-16-11 12:35 PM
    I was occasionally using a 8700 for the last 7 years. The keypad is amazing on it and battery life is awesome. Just saying

11-18-11 08:56 PM
    I was occasionally using a 8700 for the last 7 years. The keypad is amazing on it and battery life is awesome. Just saying

I have the 8707v, it was the first 3G blackberry
    And also use a 7230 ocasionally, that is a tank, you'd have to go out of your way to break that. Best thing about it, it doesn't need backlight in daylight.

11-19-11 02:44 AM
    If you want to experience an "old BB", just buy any of the new devices. The camera is about the same (grainy and doesn't take that good of a picture), the BB Maps app is worthless, the app experience is about the same as any of the old devices (no cool apps like Netflix, Television apps, etc.), there is no FFC, no improvement in battery life, and the device design is about the same.
    11-19-11 09:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD