I've been a loyal blackberry fan for years, as has my girlfriend of 3 years. I've been sitting on my hardware upgrade for a couple months now waiting on the bb 9900. My gf has the...9700? 9780? one of those. Anyways, she just updated to Os6, which is very laggy. I understand that the 9900 will have much better hardware and will hopefully prevent these problems, but this comes to my question...is it worth it?

Is it worth it to stay with RIM? The iPhone just looks like it is so much better in every way, better camera, WAY more apps, nicer screen, video calling, etc, etc.

But there are also the cons, I do like to have the real keyboard rather than a touch screen, but I've heard it isn't too hard to get used to. Also, NO BBM. This is huge for me, as I said, my girlfriend also has a blackberry and her upgrade won't be available for another year or so. I've heard of WhatsApp, but it makes me question a few things. Will it say when a message is delivered or read like BBM does (I love this feature). Also, Rogers' social networking plan covers facebook and instant messaging, will it cover whatsApp as well or will a more expensive data plan be necessary.

Any help with this decision is very appreciated, and please try to be as unbiased as possible.
    07-17-11 05:27 PM
    Welcome to the forums.

There are many threads asking this same question...I suggest you search the forums before posting.
    07-17-11 05:31 PM
    The OS7 phones are going to be eons better than any BB's that are out now.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...h-wait-628028/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-right-629150/

Now what do you think?

It all depends on what you want. They all have their different strengths and weaknesses.

Also, your gf might be able to upgrade this year even though she might be tied to a contract for another year, depending on your carrier. I've got another year on my contract with at&t ( ), but I'll still be able to upgrade my phone this September. It's worth checking into.

At any rate, relief is on the way!
    Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 07-17-11 at 05:42 PM.
    07-17-11 05:39 PM
    I've been a loyal blackberry fan for years, as has my girlfriend of 3 years. I've been sitting on my hardware upgrade for a couple months now waiting on the bb 9900. My gf has the...9700? 9780? one of those. Anyways, she just updated to Os6, which is very laggy. I understand that the 9900 will have much better hardware and will hopefully prevent these problems, but this comes to my question...is it worth it?

Is it worth it to stay with RIM? The iPhone just looks like it is so much better in every way, better camera, WAY more apps, nicer screen, video calling, etc, etc.

But there are also the cons, I do like to have the real keyboard rather than a touch screen, but I've heard it isn't too hard to get used to. Also, NO BBM. This is huge for me, as I said, my girlfriend also has a blackberry and her upgrade won't be available for another year or so. I've heard of WhatsApp, but it makes me question a few things. Will it say when a message is delivered or read like BBM does (I love this feature). Also, Rogers' social networking plan covers facebook and instant messaging, will it cover whatsApp as well or will a more expensive data plan be necessary.

Any help with this decision is very appreciated, and please try to be as unbiased as possible.
    I won't comment on the iPhone, since my opinion on the device is easily obtained though a quick search of my post history.

As for your Rogers Question.
    Since the Rogers website is down right now I can't check for you about your plan compatibility, but please contact Rogers and ask them how they will bill you and change your plan.

Rogers has some blackberry only plans, you don't want to find yourself on a more expensive plan because you lost the blackberry only plan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-11 05:42 PM
    The OS7 phones are going to be eons better than any BB's that are out now.

Now what do you think?

It all depends on what you want. They all have their different strengths and weaknesses.

Also, your gf might be able to upgrade this year even though she might be tied to a contract for another year, depending on your carrier. I've got another year on my contract with at&t ( ), but I'll still be able to upgrade my phone this September. It's worth checking into.

At any rate, relief is on the way!
    I have read these threads as I've been paying very close attention to the 9900. Unfortunately, she has only had her BB for a year, so at least another year for a HUP.
    07-17-11 06:06 PM
    I can't comment on the specifics of the fees charged by Rogers, but I can tell you that I've been using the 9900 for several weeks and it is nothing less than amazing. I'm not a paid spokesperson for RIM but this is by far the best BB I have ever used. People always want to compare the BlackBerry to iPhone and Androids. I don't think you should look at it from the perspective of what device is better. They all have great features. The iPhone 4 has a great browser and the display is nothing less the best on the market. Android devices also many great features that make them desirable devices.

I would suggest you decide what features YOU most want and need in a device and let that, rather than others people opinions. I have had the iPhone and several androids, I always return to BB because it does what I need and want. I need a solid communication device with secure messaging and BB gives me that.

I can spend all day telling you what I think, but in the end, you're the one that will be using it.

Good luck.

psufan32 likes this.
    07-17-11 06:08 PM
    Westside222, I would concur with DawgMan, his point is right on the money. It is all about what you want it to do. For me, the BB does way more things more reliably than an Android phone, as it feels as if everything on that platform is still a beta, and I continue to wonder who really has control of my information. Yes, iPhone has a million apps, but (again, for me) it just left me flat. I just switched from a Storm2 running OS 5, to a Bold 9650 running OS 6, and the gains and improvements I'm realizing in this relatively minor upgrade show me that RIM is on the right path...more social integration, huge browser improvement, etc.; Personally, I'm putting my chips down on RIM here. The Bold Touch 9900/9930 is going to turn the market on its ear. If you like the keyboard devices, it will be worth waiting for!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    07-17-11 06:33 PM
    Thanks for the help so far. Does anyone have any experience with the whatsApp that is able to answer any of the questions in the OP about it. BBM is a big part of the blackberry choice for me and if an iphone can let me talk to my bbm contacts by them just downloading a different app, then it really makes up my mind.
    07-17-11 06:46 PM
    Thanks for the help so far. Does anyone have any experience with the whatsApp that is able to answer any of the questions in the OP about it. BBM is a big part of the blackberry choice for me and if an iphone can let me talk to my bbm contacts by them just downloading a different app, then it really makes up my mind.
    1: Ask your BBM contacts if they WILL download WhatsApp
    2: Download WhatsApp and use it for 1 week ignoring BBM any anyone who didn't download WhatsApp see if you can

I tried LiveProfile over WhatsApp for a friend who moved to an iPhone, within a week I just deleted LiveProfile because it cost me a fortune in the US over BBM when I pay by the MB, as well as it just wasn't practical for me to use both. lucky that friend moved back to blackberry within 6 months since many other BBM users also stopped talking to her and she was missing out on social events.

as for Rogers Unlimited Social networking for Blackberry's it seems Instant messaging falls under provision 6 (as follows)
    Includes unlimited social networking on Facebook, Twitter and MySpace applications and unlimited instant messaging including BlackBerry Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk and Yahoo! Messenger applications (as developed by Research In Motion only) with a BlackBerry device on the Rogers network. No other data usage available. Usage subject to Rogers Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy, rogers.com/terms. Data transmission charges of $0.006/kB apply when roaming in the U.S. and $0.03/kB when roaming internationally. Visit rogers.com/data for details
    basically the App must be developed by RIM to be FREE for use

The iPhone has it's own Packages
    http://www.rogers.com/web/content/add-ons/valuepacks
    go here to find them
    07-17-11 07:17 PM
    Wow, thanks for such an elaborate post deRusset. What you said as your experience is exactly what I'm afraid of. I know my bbm contacts will download whatsapp, but the problem is the data. Everyone I know is usually on a social networking plan, and as you pointed out, since the app isn't developed by RIM, wouldn't be covered for free and thus any data would be over and above that. Is there any way to solve this problem? Any other app, anything. Texting just doesn't cut it now that i've had BBM.
    07-17-11 08:39 PM
    I have and use WhatsApp everyday for my friends with iPhone and Androids. Just like BBM, WhatsApp is very customizable and allows the user to set the alerts just as you would for SMS or BBM. In addition to setting alert tones/vibration for WhatsApp, it also places an icon on your home screen when you receive a new msg.

07-17-11 08:47 PM
    Wow, thanks for such an elaborate post deRusset. What you said as your experience is exactly what I'm afraid of. I know my bbm contacts will download whatsapp, but the problem is the data. Everyone I know is usually on a social networking plan, and as you pointed out, since the app isn't developed by RIM, wouldn't be covered for free and thus any data would be over and above that. Is there any way to solve this problem? Any other app, anything. Texting just doesn't cut it now that i've had BBM.

MSN, Yahoo, or gTalk are the only other RIM provided IM applications you can use with your NON RIM friends under Rogers Social networking plan.

BUT!! GO LOOK at the iPhone plan, they don't offer the Socialnetworking plan you have for Blackberry, it is only available for Blackberry @ $30 Android doesn't have unlimited IM in their Package @ $40 Nor does iPhone have unlimited IM in their Package @$40 so basically as soon as you leave the Blackberry, you are paying $10month more, + you must watch what content is being sent via IM to eachother, since you have a 500MB max data, which any call home apps will use quickly

IF Costs are your concern please lay out your Plan as it stands now, and your usage with your blackberry, maybe we can find you a lower Rogers Plan on a iPhone to meet your needs, if recurring costs matter.

Though from my experience Blackberry's are the cheapest smartphone to maintain and Run on Canadian networks
    07-17-11 09:13 PM
    After researching pretty much all day into it (oh boring rainy vancouver sundays :P) I'm going to most likely wait for the next round of blackberries. The full touch seems really interesting to me. Now, if RIM would just step up their 3rd party developer support I'd be good to go. And I really need rogers to release these suckers before the end of August (working at wal-mart for the summer and can get 40% off my plan if I sign while I'm still working there, but moving in September)
    07-17-11 10:24 PM
    Read this sentence:

"The iPhone just looks like it is so much better in every way, better camera, WAY more apps, nicer screen, video calling, etc, etc."

think about it long and hard.
    If it's an iphone you want, GET AN IPHONE! You are not married to your BlackBerry! You owe it nothing! Espeicially not loyalty.
    And if you turn out hating it, buy a blackberry still and use it as an ipod touch for netflix like me.
    07-17-11 11:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD