I think a bunch of people have mentioned it already, but on the dev alpha you can definitely have more than 8 apps running in the background. only 8 will show as active frames, but the rest of the apps are running as well. I like kevin's idea to add "pinned" apps...but i would them as a bottom-right corner swipe on a separate page.

*EDIT* Apparently if the Browser is at spot #8, it won't remeber the page you were on if you open a 9th app...
    I brought this up in another thread but if you have 11 apps open and only 8 can be visible as active frames how would you select the 9th or 10th? At least one is going to be hidden or am I missing something here. Is there another way to switch apps?
    12-03-12 06:18 PM
    I think a bunch of people have mentioned it already, but on the dev alpha you can definitely have more than 8 apps running in the background. only 8 will show as active frames, but the rest of the apps are running as well. I like kevin's idea to add "pinned" apps...but i would them as a bottom-right corner swipe on a separate page.

*EDIT* Apparently if the Browser is at spot #8, it won't remeber the page you were on if you open a 9th app...
    In the Playbook browser (similar to any modern browser) you have the option to turn on the "remember open tabs" feature or whatever its called. I have it turned on since back in the day the playbook browser used to crash so much. I would just re-open it, and all of my stuff would be there. I imagine the BB10 browser would have the same option.
    12-03-12 06:57 PM
    I think a third page should show after the active frames which just shows an icon of running apps. It seems like apps should have some way of indicating their run state under certain conditions. For example, should the app be fully running, in a low-priority mode, or frozen when not active, and when beyond the 8-active frame limit. For example, dropbox service could be running in the background, but maybe it is in low-priority mode and only checks for syncing every half-hour or something, unless you are actively in it looking at your files.
    12-03-12 07:16 PM
    While i was switching apps today on my 9900 i noticed i had 12 open. This is not because i am lazy and didnt close them. I was using them all.
    I suggest Ritalin.
    12-03-12 07:24 PM
    I suggest Ritalin.
    I'm in europe right now. I was listening to music, checking train schedule, looking at maps, checking live scores, etc all at once and going back and forth.

I will take note of what the doctor suggested tho lol!!!!
    12-04-12 02:40 AM
    While i was switching apps today on my 9900 i noticed i had 12 open. This is not because i am lazy and didnt close them. I was using them all. I noticed it while holding down the blackberry menu button. With that being said i am a little worried about only 8 active frames being allowed at once on bb10. Now i realize that messages, bbm, twitter can all be accessed from the hub. Never the less i had more then 8 open apps. So am i really able to do something on bb7 i cant on the bb10 phones? When my music is the oldest open active frame on bb10 and i open another app will my music stop playing? What is RIMs play on addressing the needs of power users and bb10? Also worth noting is that my phone was not sluggish or slow.

Heres what i had open:
    App world
    Poynt
    Twitter
    Browser
    Music
    Whatsapp
    Google maps
    Tsn app
    Bbm
    Google talk
    Wow that must had really drained your battery, huh?
    12-04-12 02:42 AM
    Wow that must had really drained your battery, huh?
    I brought three JS1's with me
    12-04-12 04:04 AM
    I brought three JS1's with me
    Ah, good thinking.
    12-04-12 11:26 AM
    from within the messages app i hit menu then compose whatsapp........
    12-04-12 03:30 PM
    from within the messages app i hit menu then compose whatsapp........
    I believe you. I don't have it though. I just *triple* checked. I have everything else, google talk,etc but not whatsapp. Weird.
    12-04-12 04:28 PM
    Why would they make it so you can only have 8 in the first place?
    Battery/processing issue?
    12-04-12 06:06 PM
    I'd say it's either a RAM or a processing issue. U don't want so many apps open and running that it compromises performance.
    12-04-12 06:23 PM
    While i was switching apps today on my 9900 i noticed i had 12 open. This is not because i am lazy and didnt close them. I was using them all. I noticed it while holding down the blackberry menu button. With that being said i am a little worried about only 8 active frames being allowed at once on bb10. Now i realize that messages, bbm, twitter can all be accessed from the hub. Never the less i had more then 8 open apps. So am i really able to do something on bb7 i cant on the bb10 phones? When my music is the oldest open active frame on bb10 and i open another app will my music stop playing? What is RIMs play on addressing the needs of power users and bb10? Also worth noting is that my phone was not sluggish or slow.

Heres what i had open:
    App world
    Poynt
    Twitter
    Browser
    Music
    Whatsapp
    Google maps
    Tsn app
    Bbm
    Google talk
    Well you really shouldn't have a problem with 8 tiles with that list. Most of them will combined in the social hub and app world shouldn't be an active frame. You also won't be needing the BlackBerry countdown app anymore. Any more than 8 tiles will just kill the battery and then there will be complaints about that.
    12-04-12 06:40 PM
    Well you really shouldn't have a problem with 8 tiles with that list. Most of them will combined in the social hub and app world shouldn't be an active frame. You also won't be needing the BlackBerry countdown app anymore. Any more than 8 tiles will just kill the battery and then there will be complaints about that.
    I just went through my apps again. Definitaly more then 8 that won't be in the hub. Battery life on my 9900 is not worse then I would expect for what I do on it.
    12-04-12 07:22 PM

Really? What if you were in the middle of composing a message in the browser?
    So you are composing and minimized the app, it would be first...Now you go on and open another 7 other apps and decide to go back composing...my guess is if that composition is that low on your priority list It won't bother you much to lose it anyway...I mean even desktop browsers have hiccups while composition left for too long....
    12-04-12 08:05 PM
    So you are composing and minimized the app, it would be first...Now you go on and open another 7 other apps and decide to go back composing...my guess is if that composition is that low on your priority list It won't bother you much to lose it anyway...I mean even desktop browsers have hiccups while composition left for too long....

This is why a split multi window should be created so that if a user is composing a message in the browser and he or she opens up 7 more apps and then switches back to the active frame browser, the multi-window will still be there.
    12-04-12 08:44 PM
    This is why a split multi window should be created so that if a user is composing a message in the browser and he or she opens up 7 more apps and then switches back to the active frame browser, the multi-window will still be there.
    If you're composing a message, the keyboard it going to take up almost half the screen so I really don't see the point in having a split screen in this scenario. That, and as mentioned earlier, if you're composing a message, what is going to prompt you to open 8 new apps before you get back to the message?
    12-04-12 10:49 PM
    How about you wait until the finished product is out.
    BB12MX likes this.
    12-04-12 11:14 PM
    How about you wait until the finished product is out.
    Because I like dicussing blackberry on online forums
    Ben1232 and revtech like this.
    12-05-12 01:22 AM
    Why would they make it so you can only have 8 in the first place?
    Battery/processing issue?
    I'd say it's either a RAM or a processing issue. U don't want so many apps open and running that it compromises performance.
    This cannot be the reason. Most apps will not actually use any CPU while minimized. Even those which periodically do a bit generally do it so quickly that the average CPU usage is still negligible and should have little impact on battery life (which as you may know is driven largely by how much the screen is turned on).

The smaller range of Cascades apps would typically use under 20MB, and should in many cases be designed to release larger chunks of memory when minimized as well. With 600MB free (and there could be more by launch), assuming an average of 20MB per app that would allow for roughly 25 apps free if we assume you need 100MB left at a minimum.
    12-05-12 08:13 AM
    all i can say is maybe you dont really need them all open and running at the same time. just open the apps when you need them.
    BB12MX likes this.
    12-05-12 12:13 PM
    Let's break down your list.

1. App world - why do you need to be constantly searching App World? Also, if there is an update to your apps, I 'm sure you will be notified.
    2. Poynt - Why would you need this and Maps at the same time?
    3. Twitter - Handled in the Hub
    4. Browser
    5. Music
    6. Whatsapp - Handled in the Hub or switch to BBM, tell your friends they are lame.
    7. Google maps - Why would you need this and Poynt running at the same time?
    8. Tsn app
    9. Bbm - Handled in the Hub
    10. Google talk - Switch to BBM, tell your friends they are lame.
    11. Messages - Handled in the Hub
    12. Blackberry countdown app - Countdown to what, getting the BB 10 you are already have?

So, what you really have going is
    1. Poynt
    2. Browser
    3. Music
    4. TSN

I think you'll be fine.
    BB12MX likes this.
    12-05-12 12:31 PM
    I just went through my apps again. Definitaly more then 8 that won't be in the hub. Battery life on my 9900 is not worse then I would expect for what I do on it.
    I get what you mean. Why not have as many active frames as you want. If you have enough batteries to keep them going. It seems like it could be handy. I'm more interested in resizing them so I can get more of them on the main screen. I'd rather have six to look at at a glance then eight I have to scroll to see. Even on my Windows 8 I don't think I have more than a half dozen set up.

You also have to think about data consumption. I know they don't use a lot but there are a lot of people with limited plans. With a dozen opened up it could add up over the course of a month.
    12-05-12 01:03 PM
    From my experience, many apps like, whatsapp, gtalk, twitter, sms and messages do not care if you hint "close" option, because they will be still running, like when on a PC you close them, so I think you should not worry about it and give it a try to the device on Q1 2013, I am pretty sure you will buy one even IF there can only be 8 active frames.
    12-05-12 01:59 PM
    Let's break down your list.

1. App world - why do you need to be constantly searching App World? Also, if there is an update to your apps, I 'm sure you will be notified.
    2. Poynt - Why would you need this and Maps at the same time?
    3. Twitter - Handled in the Hub
    4. Browser
    5. Music
    6. Whatsapp - Handled in the Hub or switch to BBM, tell your friends they are lame.
    7. Google maps - Why would you need this and Poynt running at the same time?
    8. Tsn app
    9. Bbm - Handled in the Hub
    10. Google talk - Switch to BBM, tell your friends they are lame.
    11. Messages - Handled in the Hub
    12. Blackberry countdown app - Countdown to what, getting the BB 10 you are already have?

So, what you really have going is
    1. Poynt
    2. Browser
    3. Music
    4. TSN

I think you'll be fine.
    Poynt uses google maps for mapping. If i look on a map and its not a good location i will go back to poynt and look again. I have the DB train app and others. Checking champions league scores on the go. Im not sure if you are trying to tell me im not using the equivalent of 8 active frames? Because i am. I have different ones open now that arent in that list. I just gave some examples. Im not just sitting around going to work 9-5 right now. i was in weimar, jena, dresden, etc today. All booking hotels on the train, looking at train transfers while on train, mapping, browsing, etc,etc. Its go,go,go,go,go on the go. Im in the hotel room now finally not moving im not going through the list number by number or adding. Would rather check out which pair of Leica binoculars i am buying tomorrow.

And by the way all of the messaging apps can be handled in the hub regarding composing and replying and a few other things but for the full app and all its options you still have to have apps open (i.e an active frame)
    12-05-12 04:30 PM
56 123