While i was switching apps today on my 9900 i noticed i had 12 open. This is not because i am lazy and didnt close them. I was using them all. I noticed it while holding down the blackberry menu button. With that being said i am a little worried about only 8 active frames being allowed at once on bb10. Now i realize that messages, bbm, twitter can all be accessed from the hub. Never the less i had more then 8 open apps. So am i really able to do something on bb7 i cant on the bb10 phones? When my music is the oldest open active frame on bb10 and i open another app will my music stop playing? What is RIMs play on addressing the needs of power users and bb10? Also worth noting is that my phone was not sluggish or slow.

Heres what i had open:
    App world
    Poynt
    Twitter
    Browser
    Music
    Whatsapp
    Google maps
    Tsn app
    Bbm
    Google talk
    12-03-12 03:02 PM
    The ninth oldest app, even though it's not shown as an active frame, would still be running, no?
    12-03-12 03:04 PM
    Maybe swipe your finger across the screen to the right or left and it will show the remaining applications? The PlayBook does this now with its approximation of the active frame and with the underlying structure the same in both I would think that the same logic would apply.
    12-03-12 03:06 PM
    The ninth oldest app, even though it's not shown as an active frame, would still be running, no?
    Well the music running was just an example i used. But say im copying and pasting parts of one file to another. I then notice i have to open another file to get something out of it to. If i open that file and the first document i was cutting from was at the bottom of my active frames, its gone. I would have to re find it and open it, and then something else will close. Maybe the app i was pasting in to?? Is this not how it works
    12-03-12 03:08 PM
    Maybe swipe your finger across the screen to the right or left and it will show the remaining applications? The PlayBook does this now with its approximation of the active frame and with the underlying structure the same in both I would think that the same logic would apply.
    No. Theres for active frames filling a screen. You can then swipe down to see four more. Theres none to the right, left, up or down other then thst. Its not like the pb
    12-03-12 03:09 PM
    Messages and BBM would be integrated into the Hub, so they really wouldn't need to be open all the time. They will always be running in the background, even when not showing as an active tile. Also, on BBOS, you have Home and Phone icons, both of which are no longer needed (since the phone had a dedicated button below, and swiping up brings you home).

So, out of the 12 icons open in BBOS, it would almost equal 8 active tiles. I do agree, though. It'll be interesting to see how BB10 handled more apps.
    12-03-12 03:14 PM
    Well the music running was just an example i used. But say im copying and pasting parts of one file to another. I then notice i have to open another file to get something out of it to. If i open that file and the first document i was cutting from was at the bottom of my active frames, its gone. I would have to re find it and open it, and then something else will close. Maybe the app i was pasting in to?? Is this not how it works
    With regards to this example, if you were copying and pasting from one to another, would you not have been in the copied one just before the paste one? And if so, that would automatically put it to the top. I guess you could have a case of ADD whereas you might copy, get distracted with a bunch of other apps before pasting it... jk
    12-03-12 03:14 PM
    Messages and BBM would be integrated into the Hub, so they really wouldn't need to be open all the time. They will always be running in the background, even when not showing as an active tile. Also, on BBOS, you have Home and Phone icons, both of which are no longer needed (since the phone had a dedicated button below, and swiping up brings you home).

So, out of the 12 icons open in BBOS, it would almost equal 8 active tiles. I do agree, though. It'll be interesting to see how BB10 handled more apps.
    I didnt count the phone symbol or the home with he 12. Without counting things that would be in the hub i had more then 8. Thats what im really trying to say. And this was just another day not an exceptional case. I just happened to count them after watching adam's latest blog post
    12-03-12 03:19 PM

On another note...as far as third party messaging services...are they open in the hub even if you dont have a new notification? Say i do not have whatsapp, googletalk, or kik open but i was to send someone a new message (without having a new message to respond to) is the option to compose a message to a third party app baked into the OS? I.e compose message options on bb7.
    12-03-12 03:26 PM
    IMO Eight is plenty for the vast majority of users. I multitask like someone with ADD, and I think eight would be enough 29 days out of 30.

And even if the ninth app closes, a well-behaved app should remember it's context, so you can just relaunch it.
    12-03-12 03:29 PM
    Just because something is not in the Active Frames section, does not imply it wouldn't be running. I think you will be able to go to the app grid and open the app's interface back up which I think would have still been running. Messages will be replaced by the HUB which is always on, and BBM would be accessible via the HUB. Maybe I'm wrong though on my understanding of how things will work though.
    mikelcal likes this.
    12-03-12 03:35 PM
    IMO Eight is plenty for the vast majority of users. I multitask like someone with ADD, and I think eight would be enough 29 days out of 30.

And even if the ninth app closes, a well-behaved app should remember it's context, so you can just relaunch it.
    I agree. Im more like 20 days out of 30 though. I wonder if different apps have different behaviors when theirnrespected active frame closes. For example like ivsaid at the start the music stopping to play if it becomes the 9th app. Wonder if devs can set the behavior of a closed active frame?
    You can always hold out for the A series, Im sure that phone would support 30 open apps lol.
    Just because something is not in the Active Frames section, does not imply it wouldn't be running. I think you will be able to go to the app grid and open the app's interface back up which I think would have still been running. Messages will be replaced by the HUB which is always on, and BBM would be accessible via the HUB. Maybe I'm wrong though on my understanding of how things will work though.
    This is what im hoping for. Even if the active frame closes you go to the icon click it, and the document is where you left off.
    12-03-12 03:36 PM
    You can always hold out for the A series, Im sure that phone would support 30 open apps lol.
    I think ill be forced to upgrade to that when it comes.
    12-03-12 03:37 PM
    On another note...as far as third party messaging services...are they open in the hub even if you dont have a new notification? Say i do not have whatsapp, googletalk, or kik open but i was to send someone a new message (without having a new message to respond to) is the option to compose a message to a third party app baked into the OS? I.e compose message options on bb7.
    I would like to say yes because I faintly remember Thor saying (in one of this numerous videos) you need not open that app specifically to answer. He gave a facebook example saying you don't need to open Facebook to reply to a message, it will all be done from within the Hub. For my understanding (also reading through Adam's editorial) you could have up to 8 active frames (mini apps) open, so I'm inclined to think you can have more than 8 apps open but can make active frames for 8 of them only. My 2 cents.
    12-03-12 03:42 PM
    I would like to say yes because I faintly remember Thor saying (in one of this numerous videos) you need not open that app specifically to answer. He gave a facebook example saying you don't need to open Facebook to reply to a message, it will all be done from within the Hub. For my understanding (also reading through Adam's editorial) you could have up to 8 active frames (mini apps) open, so I'm inclined to think you can have more than 8 apps open but can make active frames for 8 of them only. My 2 cents.
    Im not talking about replying. Im talking about composing a new message when there is nothing to reply to in the hub. Can i compose a new message to a third party app in hub
    12-03-12 03:55 PM
    Im not talking about replying. Im talking about composing a new message when there is nothing to reply to in the hub. Can i compose a new message to a third party app in hub
    I don't see any reason why anyone could not compose a new message from the hub. The messages app on the legacy BBOS allows it, so would BB10 imho.
    12-03-12 03:59 PM
    I don't see any reason why anyone could not compose a new message from the hub. The messages app on the legacy BBOS allows it, so would BB10 imho.
    The universal inbox on bb7 does not allow composition of new messages for all third party apps. For example, i want to compose a new whatsapp message.
    12-03-12 04:04 PM
    The universal inbox on bb7 does not allow composition of new messages for all third party apps. For example, i want to compose a new whatsapp message.
    Are you sure, I just checked now and by pressing the menu button I got an option to compose a What's App message. It gives me the standard compose email, compose what's app, compose other (which includes a text message, BBM, PIN, twitter and facebook. These are the things 3rd party that I have installed. But I get your point, and most likely RIM get's it too. So they would allow this composing while in the hub depending on what apps you have installed for IM/communications.
    12-03-12 04:31 PM
    All anyone can do right now is speculate. Not sure what kind of "answer" you're expecting...
    bluetroll likes this.
    12-03-12 04:46 PM
    All anyone can do right now is speculate. Not sure what kind of "answer" you're expecting...
    I guess I was just hoping someone with an alpha device would have some more insight into app behavior once the active frame is closed.
    Barljo likes this.
    12-03-12 04:49 PM
    I think a bunch of people have mentioned it already, but on the dev alpha you can definitely have more than 8 apps running in the background. only 8 will show as active frames, but the rest of the apps are running as well. I like kevin's idea to add "pinned" apps...but i would them as a bottom-right corner swipe on a separate page.

*EDIT* Apparently if the Browser is at spot #8, it won't remeber the page you were on if you open a 9th app...
    12-03-12 05:03 PM
    I think a bunch of people have mentioned it already, but on the dev alpha you can definitely have more than 8 apps running in the background. only 8 will show as active frames, but the rest of the apps are running as well. I like kevin's idea to add "pinned" apps...but i would them as a bottom-right corner swipe on a separate page.

*EDIT* Apparently if the Browser is at spot #8, it won't remeber the page you were on if you open a 9th app...
    If they arent active frames but they are open how do we know all of our open apps so we can close ones we want properly to stop memory leak
    12-03-12 05:15 PM
    If they arent active frames but they are open how do we know all of our open apps so we can close ones we want properly to stop memory leak
    Say you opened nine apps, where 1-8 are in active frames. If you close one of the active frames, would the ninth app become an active frame to take advantage the empty slot?

Apparently if the Browser is at spot #8, it won't remeber the page you were on if you open a 9th app...
    Really? What if you were in the middle of composing a message in the browser?
    12-03-12 05:54 PM
56 123