Ive gotten tired of people acting like USA is the only place in the world and they use it in ways that says "if something isn't popular in north america, its irrelevant"

I liked this article found it very interesting and it clears up that thought above.

BlackBerry 10: RIM Still A Heavy Hitter In Asia As Launch Of New Phone Looms
    01-02-13 01:41 PM
    I completely agree, but you also have to think that NA makes a noteworthy impact on quite a few countries around the globe. You see Black folks coming to America and dressing like the Rapper LIL wayne they want to be like him, you see hispanics either visiting or living at home wanting to buy things because it's american looking for example I work at a retail store here in Arizona and i had some latin women asking me which scarves looked more american because she only wanted to buy American looking merchandize. And although it varies by country you can't deny that parts of the globe look to NA to know whats "cool" or whats "in" so yes it isn't all about NA but it does make a remarkable difference if its "in" here or not.
    toneytone and SirJes like this.
    01-02-13 01:53 PM
    As an American, I agree....yeah....really tough to figure out why people around the globe find a bunch of sanctimonious, pseudo-moral, holier-than-thou, obese, loud-mouthed, obnoxious, hypocritical religious nutjobs to be a$$holes...yep, it's just one of those mysteries of the universe
    PS....anybody need an award-winning, innovative science teacher in Canada? I will move tomorrow and we can trade citizenship
    01-02-13 01:58 PM
    I completely agree, but you also have to think that NA makes a noteworthy impact on quite a few countries around the globe. You see Black folks coming to America and dressing like the Rapper LIL wayne they want to be like him, you see hispanics either visiting or living at home wanting to buy things because it's american looking for example I work at a retail store here in Arizona and i had some latin women asking me which scarves looked more american because she only wanted to buy American looking merchandize. And although it varies by country you can't deny that parts of the globe look to NA to know whats "cool" or whats "in" so yes it isn't all about NA but it does make a remarkable difference if its "in" here or not.
    I agree with you also,But i still don't see the need to count something "dead" as people do to RIM, because its not as popular here, but guess thats just the way it is
    01-02-13 02:00 PM
    As an American, I agree....yeah....really tough to figure out why people around the globe find a bunch of sanctimonious, pseudo-moral, holier-than-thou, obese, loud-mouthed, obnoxious, hypocritical religious nutjobs to be a$$holes...yep, it's just one of those mysteries of the universe
    PS....anybody need an award-winning, innovative science teacher in Canada? I will move tomorrow and we can trade citizenship
    I don't want scientists in Canada, at least not native-born scientists. Actually, we - the Government - prefer "skilled labour" because they are a source of votes when times get tough as their industry eventually succumbs to the cyclical ebb and flow of the economy. And as for innovative science teachers you better lower your voice lest you be labelled an elitist. I am Canadian and I am joking...I think. It is so cold here today my igloo door froze open.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-02-13 02:12 PM
    Ive gotten tired of people acting like USA is the only place in the world and they use it in ways that says "if something isn't popular in north america, its irrelevant"

I liked this article found it very interesting and it clears up that thought above.

BlackBerry 10: RIM Still A Heavy Hitter In Asia As Launch Of New Phone Looms
    Ethnocentricity. Here's the Wikipedia definition.

Ethnocentrism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    SirJes likes this.
    01-02-13 02:15 PM
    I don't want scientists in Canada, at least not native-born scientists. Actually, we - the Government - prefer "skilled labour" because they are a source of votes when times get tough as their industry eventually succumbs to the cyclical ebb and flow of the economy. And as for innovative science teachers you better lower your voice lest you be labelled an elitist. I am Canadian and I am joking...I think. It is so cold here today my igloo door froze open.
    I am Canadian and a scientist (and professor), but I work in the US, so what you said might have some truth. However, I was never accused of being an elitist in Canada, but I do feel that here in the US. Sorry @w0lfgang, no trading citizenship - I love Canada.

Agree about NA setting trends on certain fashion and technologies.
    01-02-13 02:23 PM
    but USA has The Cheesecake Factory.......
    01-02-13 02:35 PM
    Good one Wolfgang. I'm Canadian and have been watching the congressional comedy hour on CNN, so a switch would be a really tough sell right now.
    01-02-13 02:52 PM
    Well this is going to turn out well....
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    01-02-13 02:57 PM
    This could actually be instructive if it were a mutual exchange of ideas...but yunno...

WUSA Radio: all 'Murca, all the time.
    01-02-13 03:13 PM
    Well, as an American, I don't feel the US is THE world. But I'm also aware enough to realize that America is a trend setting nation whether it's technology or music or whatever.

And as smartphones become more than just phones, that is another trend that America sets, whether it's a good thing or not.

So yes, America (and Canada to some degree), is a make or break for RIM. Developing countries like Indonesia and the like wouldn't even have BlackBerry as popular as it is now if it weren't for North American fanfare that built up in the past years. Why spend so much money on a smart phone in a developing country? BBM? Please, they can easily buy a Nokia smartphone at a fraction of the cost of a BlackBerry and and use a free instant messaging app. But now everyone in that country uses a BlackBerry because it's popular and to stay in touch on the cheap, gotta use what everyone else is.

So my point... America sets the trend for the rest of the world. That's why a South Korean company is going through such a hassle trying so hard to imitate a smartphone with Chinese factories and labor to copy an American company's design, while utilizing another American company's operating system, to satisfy their own domestic and international demand that was pioneered and driven by (North) American culture. Heck, even movies and music from other countries talk about iPhones, iPods, iPads, when in fact their own native country has their own counterpart device. Yet those music artists still talk about American products and use them music videos/movies.

This is why people talk about how critical it is to be a hit in America. Not that it's an ego thing. It's just that people realize the fact that America (specifically American culture) has a HUGE influence on the rest of the world.
    jimpilot likes this.
    01-02-13 03:15 PM
    I completely agree, but you also have to think that NA makes a noteworthy impact on quite a few countries around the globe. You see Black folks coming to America and dressing like the Rapper LIL wayne
    What?
    01-02-13 03:23 PM
    Lots of popular tech websites are North American. So it matters a lot. BlackBerry was very popular in india. Still is but many switched to android and are happy. Many won't spend $600 on a blackberry with new os here. We don't have contacts from carriers. So how it sells in USA will be very important.

Sent from the awesome Sony xperia S
    01-02-13 03:28 PM
    Sorry, if BB doesn't catch on in North America, RIM is finished (see Nokia). They will be relegated to the low end market of devices (low cost, low profit).
    CairnsRock likes this.
    01-02-13 04:09 PM
    What?
    The Blind Men and the Elephant.
    01-02-13 04:17 PM
    The big thing here is that the media is dominated by US media when it comes to mobile. The US is - what - 9% o the global phone market, but 90% of the voice in the media when it comes to mobile tech.

But yeah - a lot of pubs are a little too ethnocentric. In some cases, outright ignorant.
    JR A, MTL and immovablesoup like this.
    01-02-13 04:18 PM
    Sorry, if BB doesn't catch on in North America, RIM is finished (see Nokia). They will be relegated to the low end market of devices (low cost, low profit).
    Nokia still sells a lot of devices internationally and that's nothing to be sneezed at. Also, it's entirely possible for tech to find a niche outside of North America. Happened with computers in the 1980s and 1990s.
    01-02-13 04:19 PM
    For one thing NA or more so, maybe not, USA is made up of people from all over the world so everyone around the world has someone here to relate to so maybe that has a little to do with it.
    Dapper37 and JR A like this.
    01-02-13 04:22 PM
    Nokia still sells a lot of devices internationally and that's nothing to be sneezed at. Also, it's entirely possible for tech to find a niche outside of North America. Happened with computers in the 1980s and 1990s.
    Nokia is tettering on going out of business. Their stock price is 80% less that it was a few years ago. There is a very good chance there wont even be a Nokia soon. So, um, obviously I disagree with you.
    01-02-13 04:26 PM
    It just seems that way because websites such as this have more American users than not, and that's probably the case in most websites you visit if you only go to English websites. You might have a different perspective if you visited an Indian or Chinese blackberry forum.
    BB12MX likes this.
    01-02-13 04:30 PM
    Mmmmm, maybe would be better not to generalize...

I am Mexican, and yes I know you all have your assumptions of mexicans ... and also I am from Monterrey, now I am working in other place, but let me tell you something.

The thing is that for some reason I may not be able to explain; the prices in USA are in most of the cases better (lower), so if you leave near to McAllen, Laredo, San Antonio, San Marcos, etc; you would prefer to travel less than 6 hrs to get better prices for the same product ... One clear example 1 year a go there was no reason to open a Best Buy store in Monterrey, now with all the problems we all know, Best Buy opened a store... Another example, some products like phones and Laptops arrive first to USA and for the same reason people go there and get them.

I know there are many others that arrive to USA looking for work and opportunities, but I am not talking about them.

So I think if RIM decides to sell the BB10 devices at the same time than in USA at Mexico would be nice, also here BB is still a phone people buy and keep buying
    01-02-13 04:32 PM
    Just claim refugee status and you should have no problem at all.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-02-13 04:58 PM
    It also helps if hou have an extensive criminal record and have possibly been deported once or twice already from Canada. This will ensure your expedient welcome and immediate access to free healthcare. You can also bring along everyone you ever met in your life and claim them as dependants to ensure you get free housing and welfare for the rest of your life while you train repeatedly for a myriad of jobs you have no intention of ever holding, whilst all your dependants procreate to keep the cycle of life going strong.

I think you have to supply your own Playbook though.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-02-13 05:13 PM
    The world certainly is not the USA. It is however, the largest market in the world for high end smartphones, the type RIM wants to sell in the millions. To ignore the US would be folly.
    JR A, magutwit, jimpilot and 2 others like this.
    01-02-13 05:20 PM
56 123