Thanks a lot for replying to my thread Revision78. Your first post on this site is darn good one. I appreciate your thorough explanation and honestly I do feel a bit of "closure" on this matter now.

Thanks A Lot!

P.S. In case anyone was wondering how I ended my "crusade"... I did indeed purchase a Z10, but no, my work is not supporting it at all. They acknowledged that they could hook up via Active Sync, but without having the Touchdown and Maas360 apps like Android has to manage my device, they are unwilling to allow me to access my work email and calendar. So I just kept my old 9930 for that and use my Z10 as a personal device.

I wonder how many sales BlackBerry is losing due to not having those apps available??
    I'm sure it is a very large number..
    05-26-13 12:59 PM
    Just curious, how did you find this thread? You could have started a new topic, but went "searching". Please advise us why you felt it necessary to reply to a thread over 4 months old?

BES will never lose its stronghold in the enterprise space. Why? One word: SECURITY

It's no coincidence that BlackBerry is used in over 90% of Fortune 500 companies. Can you imagine being an IT Security Director and have a major security breach infiltrate your company? Imagine all this happening after you knowingly left the most secure MDM platform from a company with unparalleled security? I can't, nor would I want that hanging over my head; it's an accident waiting to happen. That's also irresponsible.

I won't get into the disadvantages of typing up e-mails or conducting business using an iPhone or Android vs. a BlackBerry. There is a clear distinction. Any working professional knows that a BlackBerry is the best device for communication. Bar none, end of story.
    I'll simply apologize for necro'ing a thread. I was curious at the time to see the adoption rates just to keep an eye on things, came across this thread and felt my opinion was worth noting is all. I used to be an active member here a long time back before the changes. Anyways I was simply offering up my opinion of what I have personally seen. Security was the key word for us too, but again there are other products that do what is needed for us in the security aspect. Also I feel I should simply say again that for us, a lot could have been done to keep us on board, the problem came in that they have no interest in making offerings to customers who over the past 4 years have HAD to adopt new strategies for the influx of personal devices used in the work place. Perhaps your organization is able to make a strong stand that no personal devices are allowed, that works for you but for some of the rest of us those days are over. I appreciate the tact at which you almost made a jab at me for bringing this thread up again as if you felt i had an ulterior motive, that means a lot to me.

No security plan is full proof when there is human interaction, even with RIM. If phones are your only security breach point you are truly blessed.

Thanks a lot for replying to my thread Revision78. Your first post on this site is darn good one. I appreciate your thorough explanation and honestly I do feel a bit of "closure" on this matter now.

Thanks A Lot!

P.S. In case anyone was wondering how I ended my "crusade"... I did indeed purchase a Z10, but no, my work is not supporting it at all. They acknowledged that they could hook up via Active Sync, but without having the Touchdown and Maas360 apps like Android has to manage my device, they are unwilling to allow me to access my work email and calendar. So I just kept my old 9930 for that and use my Z10 as a personal device.

I wonder how many sales BlackBerry is losing due to not having those apps available??
    I'm sure it is a very large number..
    I really think if given time they will open up and support it via AS. I hope honestly that RIM is able to find a way to coexist with the others because we still have a need for an all-encompassing support method. Good luck to you and sorry it hasn't worked out better so far.
    Last edited by revision78; 05-27-13 at 12:18 PM.
    Clinto likes this.
    05-27-13 11:51 AM
    BES will never lose its stronghold in the enterprise space. Why? One word: SECURITY

It's no coincidence that BlackBerry is used in over 90% of Fortune 500 companies. Can you imagine being an IT Security Director and have a major security breach infiltrate your company? Imagine all this happening after you knowingly left the most secure MDM platform from a company with unparalleled security? I can't, nor would I want that hanging over my head; it's an accident waiting to happen. That's also irresponsible.
    Did you even read his post before you responded? For the majority of use cases, simply being able to remotely wipe the device and enforce a few policies like password length are enough. You don't need to lock down the entire device just to push email and calendar functions to it.

I won't get into the disadvantages of typing up e-mails or conducting business using an iPhone or Android vs. a BlackBerry. There is a clear distinction. Any working professional knows that a BlackBerry is the best device for communication. Bar none, end of story.
    It's a good thing you didn't get into that because you are quite simply wrong. Insisting that BlackBerry is the only way to handle email on the go is a surefire way to ensure that no one takes you seriously because it demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of IT or business in general. It isn't 2006 anymore. In Revision's company there are 240 people who are using BB, there are 3500 using Android/iOS devices. I guess more than 90% of his users aren't working professionals?
    revision78 and Clinto like this.
    05-27-13 12:18 PM
    Even though it's a free upgrade for a limited time. Shame.

Craig Ashcroft, BlackBerry Elites UK, Z10
    05-28-13 04:13 AM
    Where BES10 does enjoy some benefit is ease of upgrading.

Even in 2013, there are a fair number of companies out there who are still on "old-school" BES and haven't yet moved into BYOD. Now, they have some choices. They can open ActiveSync on port 443, or they can adopt another company's MDM solution (cross-vendor migrations aren't always cheap or easy). OR, they can just upgrade to BES10, where they get the greater security and manageability of BES, alongside easy BYOD.

I don't know how much business they'll win back from Good or MobileIron, but I do think they'll start taking market share from these guys for both brand new installs and BES5 replacements.
    revision78 likes this.
    05-28-13 04:35 AM
    Research in Motion Ltd. Wednesday is introducing two smartphones based on its new BlackBerry 10 operating system software, giving CIOs yet another platform to consider supporting at a time when consumers are bringing in their own smartphones to use at work. CIOs are skeptical about the uncertainty surrounding RIM�s ability to continue to compete against Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., which, thanks in large part to the BYOD phenomenon, have eroded the Waterloo, Ontario-based smartphone maker�s share of the corporate market for mobile devices.
    05-28-13 07:13 AM
56 123