OK everyone. I've always been annoyed at how there's some very simple words that I expect a Blackberry to know how to spell, but it doesn't for some stupid reason. It is because it's Canadian?

Anyway, feel free to list your words here. Let us know if your Blackberry model is stupid too or if it's just the Storm. lol (These are mine and I'll keep adding as I find them.) **I've been meaning to put up this thread for a while now and today was the day.

Words that are "too hard" for a Blackberry to recognize:

mistyped
    reregister
    unaccomplished
    rededicate
    reduplicate
    onsite

...more to come
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 03-04-10 at 09:43 PM.
    02-28-10 04:04 PM
    LOL, I know I've run across some, but can't remember now. Guess I'm going to have to start typing more so I can find them!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-10 04:49 PM
    I was surprised to find that it thought "texting" was misspelled...I guess give it a couple more years. Same with "googled"

And I realize they aren't "official" words, but rather slang...
    02-28-10 04:53 PM
    I've come upon many words that my Bold2 thinks is spelled but they're in the past tense, slang, or Spanish. I don't expect my BB to know all the words. That's why there's the "Add to dictionary" option in the OS. All I do is add it once and that's it.
    02-28-10 05:13 PM
    i never thought reduplicate, reregister, and rededicate were considered proper words in the english language. they only have the prefix re attached to them. i haven't had that many spelling mistakes on mine though.
    02-28-10 05:15 PM
    Great, another task I can waste endless hours on with my Bold!
    I have noticed words popping up that I figure it should know...I'll add them to the list as they come...great thread.
    02-28-10 05:21 PM
    i hate it if i go to put il see you in a mo it then puts moment.
    02-28-10 05:22 PM
    i hate it if i go to put il see you in a mo it then puts moment.
    My 9700 replaces "il" with "I'll" and "mo" with "Month". It's called AutoText and I happen to like the fact that it does that. You can always edit AutoText or add new ones. I happen to have my device to replace "BB" with the Blackberry logo.
    02-28-10 05:32 PM
    My 9700 replaces "il" with "I'll" and "mo" with "Month". It's called AutoText and I happen to like the fact that it does that. You can always edit AutoText or add new ones. I happen to have my device to replace "BB" with the Blackberry logo.
    The only time the "IL" bugs me is if I am trying to abbreviate my home state of Illinois, and it changes it to I'll.
    02-28-10 05:35 PM
    If you type your home state name a lot, either delete the "il" autotext entry or make up another one for your state. HS (for Home State) could map to IL. I deleted "ill=I'll" because it was making me ill.
    02-28-10 05:43 PM
    Wi-Fi is considered a typo. The BlackBerry thinks it should be Hi-Fi.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-28-10 05:50 PM
    i never thought reduplicate, reregister, and rededicate were considered proper words in the english language. they only have the prefix re attached to them. i haven't had that many spelling mistakes on mine though.
    I didn't think those were proper words either.
    02-28-10 06:02 PM
    The only time the "IL" bugs me is if I am trying to abbreviate my home state of Illinois, and it changes it to I'll.
    I can see why it would bug you. You can take Jeff's advise and create an AutoText entry for it. I do it all the time to lessen my burden with words.
    02-28-10 06:02 PM
    My berry taught me how to spell bastards, lol. Seriously though, I wish the spelling suggestions would include compound words like we're when I type were.

02-28-10 06:07 PM
    I can see why it would bug you. You can take Jeff's advise and create an AutoText entry for it. I do it all the time to lessen my burden with words.
    Yeah, I've left it the way it is since I type I'll more often than IL.

But I have changed a few others...

02-28-10 06:18 PM
    mistyped
    reregister
    unaccomplished
    rededicate
    reduplicate
    It is because it's Canadian?
    No, we play fast and loose with the letter U, but other then that.... somebody didn't fully stress test the algorithm.
    02-28-10 07:13 PM
    That's weird because MS Word seems to think they are spelled correctly.
    02-28-10 10:57 PM
    If you type your home state name a lot, either delete the "il" autotext entry or make up another one for your state. HS (for Home State) could map to IL. I deleted "ill=I'll" because it was making me ill.
    There really should be a check in there that if someone types IL (both caps) the AutoText should not apply to it. (i.e. The second caps should trigger an exception to the autotext logic... at least that's how I would have written the function logic as.)
    02-28-10 10:59 PM
    What about when your texting a sms and try to say "I" and comes up as "U" all the time. That's the only thing that annoys me when typing.

02-28-10 11:32 PM
    I had to change mn, as that's my home state. I know I'm fast, but I don't live in a minute!
    02-28-10 11:55 PM
    What about when your texting a sms and try to say "I" and comes up as "U" all the time. That's the only thing that annoys me when typing.

That's strange. Your Berry got issues then. "I" suppose to be "I". Maybe it's possessed.
    03-01-10 04:28 AM
    There really should be a check in there that if someone types IL (both caps) the AutoText should not apply to it. (i.e. The second caps should trigger an exception to the autotext logic... at least that's how I would have written the function logic as.)
    I thought maybe it did, since AutoText has a Specified Case parameter. Before I posted, I tried creating an entry for "IL," but it wouldn't accept it since "il" was already there.

03-01-10 05:24 AM
    Just in case some weren't aware, if you hold the shift key and type a space that cancels out whatever autotext is assigned.

03-01-10 06:15 AM
    OK everyone. I've always been annoyed at how there's some very simple words that I expect a Blackberry to know how to spell, but it doesn't for some stupid reason. It is because it's Canadian?

Anyway, feel free to list your words here. Let us know if your Blackberry model is stupid too or if it's just the Storm. lol (These are mine and I'll keep adding as I find them.) **I've been meaning to put up this thread for a while now and today was the day.

Words that are "too hard" for a Blackberry to recognize:

mistyped
    reregister
    unaccomplished
    rededicate
    reduplicate

...more to come
    Hi
    Five words? good start.
    Please do keep it up because for dyslexic people like me, we rely heavily on the bb dictionary.
    with two million people on this forum, you could be helping a lot pf people.
    03-01-10 06:30 AM
    "Barf"
    Who'da thought? I guess RIM doesn't think business executives will be using that word too often.

03-04-10 02:41 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD