View Poll Results: Should "H E L L" be allowed on CrackBerry.com?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 82.50%
  • No

7 17.50%
    I think it's time that the word that means the opposite of heaven was allowed to be typed on these forums. Heck, i hear this word said by 6th graders at the school my wife teaches at and no one cares, teachers and administrators. It's time CrackBerry.com got with the times....
    06-01-12 10:26 AM
    I voted yes. But it's a community, so let's see what everybody else says.
    06-01-12 11:01 AM
    I'm an adult, I think I will vote yes... I also think that may other words should be allowed!
    06-01-12 11:04 AM
    is fine.
    But sometimes, a few other words do pop up in disguised manners and it is unbearable.
    Mods do need to look a bit into this matter.
    gregorylkelly likes this.
    06-01-12 11:20 AM
    Yeah, I guess one could find that tolerable

Aye...
    06-01-12 11:32 AM
    For the record, this poll is only for the one word mentioned. Other words are more vulger and more offensive. I'm just suggesting that the use of the word H*ll should be allowed in this day and age. I don't think anyone under age 10 is viewing this site and as I mentioned, h*ll is allowed to be said in 6th grade at the local schools near me.
    06-01-12 11:33 AM
    Personally I have no issue with it so I voted yes. It's a fine line because some people, for religious reasons, do take offense to the use of it.

However, it's a fine line. I think that the language allowed in the forums should be consisten with language allowed in the blog posts as well as the podcasts.

There are occasional slips in the blogs and podcasts which come purely from emotion and the moment. In context, they are not offensive especially when considering the topics being discussed.

In my mind words that are not allowed fall into two categories: a) dirty and b) defamatory. The world itself is not always a clean place and sometimes analogies to the 'dirtier' side of life are appropriate (even if the language is distateful to some). But when words are used to be nasty to another member, it's another story.

I think that the words should be evaulated in the context of the post. There are many words that are not filtered that can be used to be abusive to other members. It shouldn't be the words themselves that are eliminated but the actual abuse. Forum mods do a good job at stemming abuse these days.

Since 'selective' filtering of words would change the actual process required to keep the forums 'clean', I'm not sure how it would be handled.

There are members who are able to dance around the word filter by using alternate characters and sometimes those are allowed to stay. It's no secret what word they're trying to avoid having filtered, but in the intelligent context of the post, they are left alone. So 'selective' filtering actually happens anyway.

Having said all that, given the current constraints, I have a good idea what will be filtered, so I will opt for 'heck' instead and have learned to live with it. I don't want to see the forums turn into a garbage pail. Plus, I feel that most of the time, there are more descriptive terms (that are allowed) to more accurately convey someone's statements or opinions. Language is a wonderful thing.
    06-01-12 11:58 AM
    I actually voted No for the reason that it opens up the discussion of heaven / He!!, mine is different than yours, mind you your opinion on Heave and He!! does not matter. Besides if you cant structure your thoughts without the use of profanity, then you really should not even be here.

But on a personal level, I really dont care what is displayed on a privately operated forum with kids and mature adults. I am sure kids say worse than we will ever hear.
    Last edited by MobileMadness002; 06-01-12 at 12:11 PM.
    06-01-12 12:09 PM
    H*ll yes.
    06-01-12 12:14 PM
    I don't have a problem with He||. It's all good, as long as it isn't used to insult or belittle anyone.
    06-01-12 12:45 PM
    I don't have a problem with He||. It's all good, as long as it isn't used to insult or belittle anyone.
    Exactly. A lot of words that are allowed here can be used to insult people. There is even a signature where someone is quoting someone else who proudly proclaimed that they bought some RIMM shares at like $50 a share. To me that signature is worse than anything else people can post on here because someone is attacking someones financial decisions that may have left that person and their family in a dire position.
    06-01-12 05:25 PM
    I actually voted No for the reason that it opens up the discussion of heaven / He!!, mine is different than yours, mind you your opinion on Heave and He!! does not matter. Besides if you cant structure your thoughts without the use of profanity, then you really should not even be here.

But on a personal level, I really dont care what is displayed on a privately operated forum with kids and mature adults. I am sure kids say worse than we will ever hear.
    Not to go into religion or religious beliefs at all, but the use of the word He!! in religious terms is actually not offensive or filter worthy at all. Priests say this word all the time during religious services. It's the non-religious use of the word that is in question.
    06-01-12 05:27 PM
    I voted yes. I don't curse here or irl but h*ll doesn't bother me.
    06-02-12 02:47 AM
    I voted yes as well. As long as we all think before we type all should be well. For those that can't manage that, let the mods have a chat with them.
    06-02-12 10:39 AM
    I voted yes. I don't curse here or irl but h*ll doesn't bother me.
    I don't drink.
    I don't curse.
    I don't smoke.

Oh Sh!t, I left my cigarettes in the d*mn bar.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-02-12 10:59 AM
    I voted yes... I don't see a problem with that word, in a public forum.
    06-02-12 11:15 AM
    So, is 80% enough to make the change?
    06-22-12 01:59 PM
    I'd also like to be able to WRITE IN ALL CAPS!!

awwww ye
    06-22-12 02:56 PM
    thinking how can I belittle someone using the word he||...
    My he|| is better than your he||?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-22-12 03:42 PM
    Wtf kind of f'n question is this...
    06-22-12 07:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD