That's the irony, to close an app you do have to tap a button after the swipe. Why not do it from within the app saving you a swipe if your intention is to kill the app.

Posted via CB10
    thats what i meant by a kill gesture.
    say you're in an app. pinch from opposite corners (or some other unused gesture) and it instantly kills the app. No minimising first.
    if it can be done anywhere then that should save the need to go to the main menu to get to the button as well, and can save another step.
    i use the pinch gesture as its highly unlikely you would do that by accident and prevents on accidentally killing apps.

may be too much, but i can see the benefits of a kill button
    02-17-13 03:32 PM
    I will not waste my time with it. This discussion is ridiculous.
    Belfastdispatcher, you are right. Bye.
    02-17-13 03:33 PM
    thats what i meant by a kill gesture.
    say you're in an app. pinch from opposite corners (or some other unused gesture) and it instantly kills the app. No minimising first.
    if it can be done anywhere then that should save the need to go to the main menu to get to the button as well, and can save another step.
    i use the pinch gesture as its highly unlikely you would do that by accident and prevents on accidentally killing apps.

may be too much, but i can see the benefits of a kill button
    The only problem with that is you can't do it with one hand other then that I'm all for it.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 03:34 PM
    I will not waste my time with it. This discussion is ridiculous.
    Belfastdispatcher, you are right. Bye.
    Mr developer, what apps do you have in BlackBerry World? I will check them out.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 03:35 PM
    The only problem with that is you can't do it with one hand other then that I'm all for it.

Posted via CB10
    yeah that is my sticking point too.

Well if they could find a suitable gesture, i'd prefer that. if not the button could work fine too.

I suppose Blackberry would have to implement the gesture though and that would not be a priority, whereas the dev can choose to put the button on the app they make tomorrow if they so wish
    02-17-13 03:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    I use a diagonal swipe from the middle right bezel to the bottom middle bezel for my kill gesture (for one handed ease), but a gesture could be whatever is easiest. And as darkehawke said, it gets done from within the app itself, it cuts down on the amount of gestures needed.
    darkehawke likes this.
    02-17-13 04:14 PM
    I'm sure if Android has an app that can duplicate the gesture based OS of BB10 and have a gesture to kill an app, that BBRY would be able to introduce some type of gesture to accomplish this as well, without the need of a "button" to do so. This way, the developers wouldn't even need to introduce anything, because it would be the end user via the OS itself that would control it.
    +1. This is a good idea too
    02-17-13 05:12 PM
    ThT mKes plenty of sense. This would be a nice feature and agree that it will save steps. Or have it so its in the settings when you swipe from the top? Or is that too many steps too?
    02-18-13 01:16 AM
    Brilliant...lets destroy all the successful UI paradigms that companies like Blackberry have worked to establish.

Sounds like you're longing for mobile OS's from 10 years ago.

Word to developers, please implement an Off buton-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361193575.935170.jpg
    BlackQtCoder and v17al like this.
    02-18-13 07:19 AM
    On the PlayBook, as I recall, we don't have to use the X to kill an app. Once it's in Active Frame status, swiping the frame again up toward the top bezel kills it. I don't have the PB with me or I'd test it now. Does this work in BB10?
    02-18-13 07:20 AM
    On the PlayBook, as I recall, we don't have to use the X to kill an app. Once it's in Active Frame status, swiping the frame again up toward the top bezel kills it. I don't have the PB with me or I'd test it now. Does this work in BB10?
    Nope, it doesn't but that's for a reason, if you have more then 4 active frames you need to swipe up to the next active frames screen.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 07:25 AM
    You are correct in regards to the PB.
    Attached Thumbnails Word to developers, please implement an Off buton-img_00000123.jpg  
    02-18-13 10:52 AM
    Nope, it doesn't but that's for a reason, if you have more then 4 active frames you need to swipe up to the next active frames screen.

Posted via CB10
    What if you "select" the Active Frame?

Man I can't wait to get my hands on one of these babies. C'mon March!
    02-18-13 10:54 AM
    Brilliant...lets destroy all the successful UI paradigms that companies like Blackberry have worked to establish.

Sounds like you're longing for mobile OS's from 10 years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361193575.935170.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	136541
    Touch�
    02-18-13 11:05 AM
    No need to ridicule other people for their preferences.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 11:18 AM
    Why not scroll the active frames horizontally so the up-swipe would work as it does in PB? Would it conflict with Peek?
    02-18-13 03:19 PM
    Why not scroll the active frames horizontally so the up-swipe would work as it does in PB? Would it conflict with Peek?
    I doubt it, as peek must be activated from the bottom bezel. There really is no reason BB couldn't implement something. Even using the similiar up-swipe from the PB, but with a slight pause on the app you wish to delete before the up swipe would work. Think of the Android long press in order to delete things, it could be something similiar to that but with a gesture involved.
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-18-13 03:57 PM
    Off buttons are UGLY and take up room in the app. I suppose it may make sense in some apps but would ruin the UI - probably why BB didn't have it as a default UI object.
    02-18-13 04:44 PM
    I doubt it, as peek must be activated from the bottom bezel. There really is no reason BB couldn't implement something. Even using the similiar up-swipe from the PB, but with a slight pause on the app you wish to delete before the up swipe would work. Think of the Android long press in order to delete things, it could be something similiar to that but with a gesture involved.
    It wouldn't be what belfastdispatcher is looking for, since it's still two gestures, but it seems that what the PB does--scroll active frames horizontally and swipe up to get rid of them--would work just fine. As a matter of sheer personal preference, two up-swipes is better than one up-swipe and X.

But I do get the concept of letting the OS do the housekeeping. Maybe the concept of "active" frames is misleading. In some cases, the frame may be active in the sense of actually doing something while "minimized" (activized?) but it many cases apps are inert when the user isn't doing something with them. Inert apps don't chew up the battery. Let the OS dump them when it needs the RAM.
    02-18-13 05:57 PM
    I have read that the phone becomes an active frame. If true, I would love it if the end call button had a secondary job such as close without becoming an active frame.
    02-18-13 06:06 PM
    I am going to jump on the disagree train here.

Although the idea may sound appealing, you may be over-thinking where that close button is found: on the "landing page". Typically the landing page will be the root of the application, and doesn't have much navigational clutter. Thus Photo X has plenty of room for their "close" button.

The second you open an application and perform one tap, you will likely no longer be on the landing page. Once this happens, you typically have more content on the screen, and perhaps an action bar on the bottom with a back button. Having the close button here will be more cluttered that the Photo X landing page example.

In order for me to consider the button being useful, it would have to be always available. If it wasn't then this means it would only sometimes be available, which is confusing and inconsistent. So in order to maintain consistency, you would always have a "close" button on your action bar (or somewhere else taking up room). This is wasted real estate, and wasted development effort.

The other downside is that it is not enforced in any way. Even if Blackberry asks all developers to add this button to their apps, it is not programatically enforced (unlike the swipe-up gesture), and devs can simply decide not to do it. All you will end up with is an uncertainty of when this button will be available. This is very unpleasant because you never know what to expect. On the contrary, Blackberry has actually suggested that you shouldn't include a close button. Devs can include it, however users can always rely on that close gesture being available. Developers need not spend 1 minute implementing/designing/testing a close button, it is already done.

I could go on and on about this, there are many, many different reasons why developers shouldn't be adding custom close buttons.
    BlackQtCoder likes this.
    02-18-13 10:54 PM
    As a developer, I have little choice but to respect the guidelines. The choice must be made by bbry and backed by their sdk team. Otherwise your asking for trouble (another excuse for appworld team to reject an app, breaks in updates, issues on platform enhancements, everypne creating buttons their own way, etc etc).

Cool idea but rules are rules

Sent from my BlackBerry S10.1 using Tapatalk Touch Beta
    BlackQtCoder, v17al and mikeo007 like this.
    02-18-13 11:12 PM
    As a developer, I have little choice but to respect the guidelines. The choice must be made by bbry and backed by their sdk team. Otherwise your asking for trouble (another excuse for appworld team to reject an app, breaks in updates, issues on platform enhancements, everypne creating buttons their own way, etc etc).

Cool idea but rules are rules

Sent from my BlackBerry S10.1 using Tapatalk Touch Beta
    Exactly. At work we have to develop based of business owner requirements, not what the field wants. We follow the design guidelines the business owner provides.

BB has designed BB10 with a specific look, feel, and function set.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    KermEd likes this.
    02-20-13 10:05 AM
    Exactly. At work we have to develop based of business owner requirements, not what the field wants. We follow the design guidelines the business owner provides.

BB has designed BB10 with a specific look, feel, and function set.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Wasn't RIM always accused of not listening to their customers though?

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 10:15 AM
    Wasn't RIM always accused of not listening to their customers though?

Posted via CB10

In software development you have an existing platform under which you have to develop. Developers have to maintain the design integrity for the platform for which you are developing. You cannot violate that integrity.

Within the business model of software development, BlackBerry is the business owner. The developers are contractors to the business owners, they design to the specifics of the business owner. The customers of BlackBerry are the carriers, they sell phones to the carriers who then sell to their customers. The customers of the carriers are the end users.

You are talking about end user satisfaction when you talk about customer satisfaction. The end user does not direct software development, they would send requirements to the business owner who then puts then in a backlog for development. Feedback from end users should be used by the business owner to determine which backlogged items should be put in development. However, the end user does not direct development directly to the developer or contractor.
    KermEd likes this.
    02-20-13 10:30 AM
110 12345