This is what BlackBerry needs to have a successful launch into the Android World

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 11:43 AM
    Agree. Marketing too. If they don't do some type of marketing no one will know it's an Android phone and reject it simply because it's another Blackberry.
    09-26-15 11:51 AM
    Wonder if Android would throw out some advertising since it's their OS
    09-26-15 11:54 AM
    Agree. Marketing too. If they don't do some type of marketing no one will know it's an Android phone and reject it simply because it's another Blackberry.
    This is correct, they should also do some sort of incentive program, time for them to do some damage repair.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 11:55 AM
    They could tout a more secure Droid. Though I don't think John Public cares about that.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 11:56 AM
    I think it's rumored to be released by all four major carriers in the US, so that's a first good step. Marketing dollars definitely need to be spent though, and not just externally. They should have a blackberry rep in flagship stores teaching reps how to use the phone and the features that differentiate it.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 11:59 AM
    Google do support OEMs with some 'co-funding' and I certainly think they throw in some for this - partly because it throws an important signal to other OEMs - "we broke BBRY and we can break you" - plus I would think they threw Chen a bone at least for the first phone - simply because they know that once companies go Android they don't go back and it helps to completely kill off another OS (even one as weak as BB10). So its a sweet deal for Google either way because once you are in, you are in.
    09-26-15 12:03 PM
    Pricing will have to be a factor. Coming to the Android party late, they will have to settle for a smaller margin initially till they gain traction.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 12:04 PM
    Pricing will have to be a factor. Coming to the Android party late, they will have to settle for a smaller margin initially till they gain traction.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't that what Amazon said?
    outlooker likes this.
    09-26-15 12:15 PM
    This could work better than in the past. Android phones are easier to sell for carriers in general so I think more of them are going to be willing to stock the Priv.

Additionally, the phone stands out of the Android masses through its form factor (the only Droid with a physical keyboard), plus through its supposedly superior security.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 12:18 PM
    Additionally, the phone stands out of the Android masses through its form factor (the only Droid with a physical keyboard)
    Posted via CB10
    Guy on our work-site has a NEC phone with android OS and qwerty keyboard so I think there might be more than just BB with a physical keyboard on android.
    dusanvn likes this.
    09-26-15 12:32 PM
    Guy on our work-site has a NEC phone with android OS and qwerty keyboard so I think there might be more than just BB with a physical keyboard on android.
    NEC terrain - its old and a poor seller because... nobody wanted keyboard phones.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-26-15 12:42 PM
    +10^^^ AT&T was the only one here in the states to offer the Passport and did little to no Marketing.
    09-26-15 01:02 PM
    NEC terrain - its old and a poor seller because... nobody wanted keyboard phones.

Without carrier support the Priv won't do any better than the other releases-img_20150926_140204_edit.png

Look at that beauty,.. practically indistinguishable from the Priv. Lol

Posted via CB10
    dusanvn likes this.
    09-26-15 01:03 PM
    They have to be willing to market this device as if the life of BlackBerry depends on it(because it just might). If they're not, they might as well shut down shop right now.
    09-26-15 01:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yet, given the rumored specs of the phone, I have trouble envisioning it being priced at sub $700.

$700+ pricing will be difficult for non-BlackBerry loyalists to swallow.

If the Priv is representative of typical quality phone builds from BlackBerry, it will be difficult to price it below $700.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition driven by 10.3.2.2639 on T-Mobile
    CivilDissident likes this.
    09-26-15 01:12 PM
    Marketing too. If they don't do some type of marketing no one will know it's an Android phone...
    Oooh, perhaps they could have an ad with a guy flying on a magic carpet, or a soccer player sliding on wet grass, or show a fireman going down a pole. After all, these were the brilliant ideas from the LAST set of TV commercials. 11 seconds of showing the phone and the rest, Non-phone related.
    09-26-15 01:46 PM
    Yet, given the rumored specs of the phone, I have trouble envisioning it being priced at sub $700.

$700+ pricing will be difficult for non-BlackBerry loyalists to swallow.

If the Priv is representative of typical quality phone builds from BlackBerry, it will be difficult to price it below $700.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition driven by 10.3.2.2639 on T-Mobile
    It will absolutely fail at that price.
    09-26-15 01:49 PM
    Marketing first and carrier support next. There has to be consumer demand for the product so that carriers will want to stock and support the Priv.

Posted via Classic
    09-26-15 02:31 PM
    Hey news flash to the author. All four carriers in USA and All carriers in Canada will carry the new Priv. So yes there will be supported. I have a feeling Google will help out in this case since Blackberry has done something that Google is interested. they made Android platform a little more secure. That is something that Google would be interested in to help promote Android.
    09-26-15 05:17 PM
    I believe Blackberry has outsourced the production of the Priv. Correct me if I'm wrong. This will mean lower cost , and even though Blackberry will make a small cut, at least every phone will be profitable, since they don't have inventory risks. So I am sure it will be below $699.
    09-26-15 05:20 PM
    Considering that The Priv will be a premium phone with excellent specs, and a great camera for once, with all the Major apps, and more, if it's priced at $699 it will do well.If this phone is properly promoted why would you not buy this phone.
    09-26-15 05:23 PM
    Considering that The Priv will be a premium phone with excellent specs, and a great camera for once, with all the Major apps, and more, if it's priced at $699 it will do well.If this phone is properly promoted why would you not buy this phone.
    Because people looking for a decent Android device can get one much cheaper?
    09-26-15 09:15 PM
    I think if google and all carriers get behind BlackBerry and market this new thing (still having trouble with its name), it will be a huge success if under $700 Cdn

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2639
    09-26-15 09:20 PM
    Isn't that what Amazon said?
    Yeah, but Fire was missing the single most important thing people expect when they buy an Android phone. The Priv will ship with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-26-15 09:27 PM