Remote Wireless Syncing:

When you pull up Desktop Manager and plug in your Torch for the first time, you will see the following screen.

Click "Yes...." and you will see the following screen.

Your phone will reboot (which only takes about 60 seconds!!!!!) and you will see the following screen.

I'm not the best writer, so please be patient with my inability to explain how this works properly

Anyways, I did all of the above and nothing at all changed on my phone. I was confused, I thought there would be an icon to wirelessly connect to my computer using WiFi, but there isn't. I then decided to go into my Music app and I noticed that I now had over 6,000 songs listed (instead of the 400 or so I actually have on my device).

So, here is how it works. When you open up your music app it looks the same. If you click into artists (or any other category) it will shows every song you have on your computer. If an song's name (or artist or album etc...) is dimmed out, that means the songs are on your computer but not your phone. If it is brightly lit, it is on your phone and computer and you can play it right then and there.

Now, if a song is dimmed out and only on your computer, you can click on it and set it to download the next time you connect to the same WiFi as your Computer with the song on it. Before you connect to your WiFi, the song will be listed in a separate section below "All Songs" "Artists" "Albums" etc... called "Desktop Downloads". When you connect to the WiFi, your songs will automatically start downloading. When they finish downloading, they will be available to play.

I have to say, this is really easy and smooth to do. Like I said, I suck at walkthroughs so I may have made it sound harder than it is. This is DEFINITELY one of the best media options I've ever seen on a phone!

Its very easy to hide all the dimmed out songs and only see the ones you have on your device. When browsing songs, you click the menu button and select "Hide Home Music" and all you see are the songs on your device. Again, very very easy!
    Last edited by anastasiophan; 08-13-10 at 07:49 AM.
    08-12-10 02:54 PM
    This is really sweet and a big step for RIM in the media direction, IMO. I'm pumped to get mine on Saturday.
    08-12-10 03:06 PM
    I will try to transfer some songs when I get home. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-10 03:09 PM
    I'm definitely going to try this when I get back home. Thanks!
    08-12-10 03:12 PM
    I just found one problem with this (if you consider it a problem). You have to have Desktop Manager open in order to sync to your computer. It makes sense, but I didn't realize this when I first tested it out.
    08-12-10 03:15 PM
    Just to clarify.. This is an OS 6 feature correct? Not something Torch specific.
    08-12-10 03:17 PM
    Just to clarify.. This is an OS 6 feature correct? Not something Torch specific.
    I believe so.
    08-12-10 03:23 PM
    Sweet! I hate USB plugging. Thanks.
    08-12-10 03:52 PM
    This worked so well for me about 20 minutes ago!!!

08-12-10 06:10 PM
    I'm guess this would be very useful when you're just planning to switch a few songs or albums here and there. If it's your first time loading all your songs onto your phone, I'd imagine that plugging it in would be better as the transfer rate is quicker.
    08-12-10 06:56 PM
    Yeah. I plugged it in and got what I thought if want. After setting up the WiFi thing, I thought of a couple other songs I wanted and added them over WiFi. It took about 45 seconds to load about 8 songs. The best part is you can think of songs you want when your out and set it up so when you get home it downloads them without you even realizing it.

08-12-10 07:39 PM
    Bump for new Torch Owners.

08-13-10 07:52 AM
    Awesome. Thanks for posting this. The window didnt pop up for me the first time i plugged in my torch, so ive been searching on how to do this. Thanks for the walkthrough.
    08-13-10 08:43 PM
    Someone tell me if this is a feature, not a bug:

Media Sync over WiFi is working great. I go in and select songs, they sync. Perfect.

But... it appears that the music catalog from the home machine only gets updated when I plug in via USB. For example, I add new artists/albums to my home machine running DM but the phone doesn't get the updated catalog list until I plug in via USB.

Anyone else see this?
    08-17-10 10:46 PM
    Go to the music app then "wi-fi music sync" and hit the menu key and select "sync now". This should update your music catalog.
    08-17-10 11:09 PM
    I've been using this featuer a lot so far. I'm loving BB6!!

08-18-10 07:48 AM
    Can you wireless sync with Outlook? That's all us business users who don't want our phone to be a toy care about. Afterall, that's what BB's are supposed to be all about.
    08-18-10 08:11 AM
    Anyone else having problems keeping this going? Maybe I'm trying to sync too much with it but it syncs a few songs for me then just stops. It seems like it can't continue to sync in the background or after the phone locks
    08-18-10 08:30 AM
    I finally used this feature last night. And it's pretty phenomenal. I just need to buy a 32GB card now!

Thanks for the write up, took me a while to figure it out last night myself. So glad you are saving some folks trouble!
    08-18-10 08:34 AM
    I finally used this feature last night. And it's pretty phenomenal. I just need to buy a 32GB card now!

Thanks for the write up, took me a while to figure it out last night myself. So glad you are saving some folks trouble!
    are 32GB cards good for the phone someone to me a story that it stoped working one day and lost all his stuff on it. should have backed it up but still.
    im thinking about a 16gb should be good.
    08-18-10 08:53 AM
    now you can stream music over wi-fi with the latest update.
    07-24-11 09:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD