I have searched and searched but I'm not searching the right string of words or it doesn't exist??

I have a Blackberry Curve, Verizon that's 3 years old and out of contract. I want to either unlock it and use it with another carrier or sell it and buy a BB that works with a carrier who will not require me to have a data plan.

Right now I'm not working so I don't want to be spending money on data. I just want minutes and maybe some texting. I can always add data later.

I live in AZ and all the big providers: T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, AT&T require a minimum data plan with a smart phone plan.

Cricket isn't an option because I need to be able to use the phone outside Phoenix and their plans are local.

A long time agp I read a blog or article about lowing your cell bill and I thought the writer mentioned Rogers. But when I went to their site it looked like they were in Canada.

Does anyone have any ideas aside from going Pre-paid? Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-11 09:27 AM
    All US carriers require the activation of a BlackBerry data plan for any BlackBerry device. It doesn't matter if you're in or out of a contract, using a locked or unlocked device. And yes, you are correct, Rogers is in Canada.
    02-14-11 09:33 AM
    I believe tmo doesn't require you to have a data plan. They do only if you buy the phone from them, but if you bring in an outside phone, you shouldn't need to have data

DawgMan likes this.
    02-14-11 09:37 AM
    I believe tmo doesn't require you to have a data plan. They do only if you buy the phone from them, but if you bring in an outside phone, you shouldn't need to have data

Thanks, I was not aware of that.
    02-14-11 10:00 AM
    The Verizon Curve is not a world phone and it can not be unlocked for use on other carriers. It is a CDMA only phone and is VERY difficult to use on other CDMA carriers, and impossible to use on GSM carriers.
    02-14-11 01:24 PM
    The Verizon Curve will only be able to be used on Verizon. You'll be hard pressed to find a CDMA carrier who will accept phones that aren't their own.

If you can find a used GSM model, you may be able to take it to T-Mo and get a SIM for it.
    02-14-11 02:01 PM
    You can get a T-mobile account with a non-smartphone. Then get an unlocked GSM Blackberry (your current Curve won't work) and pop in your sim card. My father uses a blackberry without the data plan. He initially signed up with a normal phone and I gave him an older BB I had so that he could text better. He's been using it without a data plan for a couple of years now.
    02-14-11 02:11 PM
    Thanks so much. Looks like I have some options with the curve and I also have a Tour to sell so I might look into the suggestions for used phones not CDMA.

Seems like most people want unlimited data and voice since that's what carriers seem to push. Call me weird but for the time being, I just want the phone and texting. I probably could get a more basic phone than a Blackberry but I've had smartphones so long, I don't even know what's out there-lol.

02-14-11 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD