Just found this while playing in the options and wasn't sure if it had been posted before. Also, I wondered who all has this feature. On my VZW Tour, you can find it here:

Options->Advanced Options->Wireless Update.

What all devices/carriers also have this option? Post yours here.
    09-03-09 11:56 PM
    Yes all carriers have this option. Unfortunately none of the carriers have activated and taken advantage of this feature as of yet... Blackberry is planning to launch all wireless updates couple of months after releasing OS 5.0 for most devices.
    09-04-09 12:38 AM
    Wireless Update scares me. I'd rather download the OS release and install it myself. That way I can ensure I have a good backup of everything, including 3rd party apps, before updating my OS.

I'd imagine if the wireless update messed up somehow it would probably result in the loss of all your data if you didn't have a good backup.
    09-04-09 01:16 AM
    Some people recenty used this for the AT&T Bold update last week.
    I wouldnt though because if you lose signal during the update you'll brick the phone.

It's the equivalent of disconnecting the USB cable from the phone during an os update on the pc.
    09-04-09 02:07 AM
    Hmmm, learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info.
    09-04-09 02:23 AM
    I wouldnt though because if you lose signal during the update you'll brick the phone.

It's the equivalent of disconnecting the USB cable from the phone during an os update on the pc.
    That's the reason I won't use wireless update.
    09-04-09 11:31 AM
    But what if you don't have any other option? (ie: busted USB port that refuses to acknowledge any connection to the phone for more than a 1-2 secs at a time)
    03-08-10 05:55 PM

Doesn't it download, then install locally, like an app? Other reason this method sucks is that you can't shrink it first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-10 06:15 PM
    Doesn't it download, then install locally, like an app? Other reason this method sucks is that you can't shrink it first.

Yes, of course it downloads it locally. Some people just don't know what they're talking about To run the update installer, you have to have it first. It downloads locally to your phone, then runs. It would be a nightmare to support if the software updates tried to occur on the fly, as it downloaded.
    03-08-10 06:55 PM
    I ran ir 2-3 times on AT&T when I was on 4.6. It worked perfectly every time. It is odd that you don't get a notification of some sort.

I just upgraded to OS 5.0 so I guess it won't find a newer OS because AT&T will never come out with OS 5.0 for the Bold 9000.

03-08-10 07:16 PM
    [QUOTE=kuosheng89;3512390]Yes all carriers have this option. Unfortunately none of the carriers have activated and taken advantage of this feature as of yet... Blackberry is planning to launch all wireless updates couple of months after releasing OS 5.0 for most devices.[/Q

Sprint has.
    03-08-10 08:47 PM
    i wouldnt trust that feature, although on my gfs's vzw tour running 4.7.1.61, its got a star on it. interesting.
    03-08-10 10:25 PM
    I just updated my 8330m to .186 OTA through sprint. It worked just fine. Took about 45 min to an hour to complete. Like mentioned earlier, you cant shrink it first or backup the phone, but for novice BB users who want to update their phone, this is a good option.
    03-08-10 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD