hi all,

i am curious on the frequencies of users reloading/installing/wiping OS on their device.

wouldnt it be a PITA to reconfigure the unit after each reloads? i find is a pain to reconfigure my profile alerts, hence i am very reluctant to try different builds.

you may say that there is a backup/restore function, but wouldnt a clean install (without restoring anything) be the preferred way, so that unwanted files/bugs dont get restored?
    09-12-11 11:10 PM
    Using the Loader to load a new OS and restore your apps & info is how I do it. The Loader will wipe the device as part of the process.

The only time I'd recommend completely wiping the device of info & OS to an error 507 before loading the new OS is off you're coming from having severe/fatal errors.

As for frequency of loading new OS's, I try every 9800 OS I can, as I haven't been fully satisfied with any to-date.
    09-12-11 11:24 PM
    hi all,

i am curious on the frequencies of users reloading/installing/wiping OS on their device.

wouldnt it be a PITA to reconfigure the unit after each reloads? i find is a pain to reconfigure my profile alerts, hence i am very reluctant to try different builds.

you may say that there is a backup/restore function, but wouldnt a clean install (without restoring anything) be the preferred way, so that unwanted files/bugs dont get restored?
    The profiles can be restored by restoring the "sounds" database.
    A clean install and start from 0 is good, but, upgrading and then doing a selective restore is even better, as you keep your personal information and at the same time you dont hog the device with useless/old databases, like the loader likes to do, which restores everything during the upgrade process.

Another thing i dont like is the timing at which the loader does the full restore, which is another reason why i dont even use that function of it, it restores the data before restoring the third party apps, so any database not matched to a third party app will get deleted, and then when the app is reinstalled by the loader, it does not get the restored database (at least thats how it was in like... DM 6.0, i dont know if this was fixed). Thats why its usually better to just do a selective restore after the upgrade process is finished, as its 100% you will get the restored data for any third party apps and you get your necessary personal information, the rest can just start blank.
    Last edited by gbsn; 09-12-11 at 11:42 PM.
    09-12-11 11:37 PM
    i wipe and load a different OS quite often, prob once a week. I use DM to backup, BBSAK to wipe, then load OS, then do a selective restore through DM. All i really care about are my sound profiles, everything else is synced with Google Sync.
    09-13-11 12:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD