I'm not certain a factory reset will work, usually IT policies are pretty robust, and they have a way of coming back on you. BUT it's worth a shot.
    pk and pcgizmo... Would we not be more prudent in what I had asked to begin with on if the OP...lol this way I can't make a gender error knows if the friend had a personal email address or not which would tell us if this is a BIS or BES device. BIS would be no mre than the BBSAK wipe as pk and I sugessted. BES might go a bit further and may need a carrier call to see what can be done. Do any of you agree with any of this?

Jan(Yes I am a guy...lol)
    12-29-10 01:15 PM
    Gizmo, you are a genius. Thank you, I will try that!
    Wait a minute...I was the first to suggest BBASK and gizmo gets all the credit????

Just Kidding. Thanks to all, I learn something new here everyday.
    12-29-10 01:20 PM
    Wait a minute...I was the first to suggest BBASK and gizmo gets all the credit????

Lol, this thread's a trip. Hey fwiw, I learned about the factiry restore function in BBSAK from your post. So, thanks Dawg!
    12-29-10 01:22 PM

only because I first suggested it,got cold feet and deleted it to give someone else credit for it....I am also just kidding BTW...lol
    12-29-10 01:22 PM
    Lol, this thread's a trip. Hey fwiw, I learned about the factiry restore function in BBSAK from your post. So, thanks Dawg!
    giz... this thread is a trip but hey I am only at work and doing this instead so what else do we have to do....glad my boss gives me my own office...
    12-29-10 01:25 PM
    I am only at work and doing this instead
    +1

10char
    12-29-10 01:26 PM
    Before there was a Wipe Handheld function in the Menu, we used to just set the BB to require a password and then enter it incorrectly until it wipes itself.
    12-29-10 03:20 PM
    You do all realize the OP just ripped the phone off and is trying to get the BES off the phone to be able to function properly....

Then again, I would imagine it was passcoded...you would think.

I kid of course, but you never truly know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 03:28 PM
    You do all realize the OP just ripped the phone off and is trying to get the BES off the phone to be able to function properly....

Yeah, i had that thought, which is why I asked "why do you need to wipe the device"?
    12-29-10 03:29 PM
    Yeah, i had that thought, which is why I asked "why do you need to wipe the device"?
    Giz this has gotten to be one crazy thread like you said awhile back but nobody including the OP has ever answered my original question?

Did the person the phone came from ever have a personal email address on it? If that was answered and we knew it thaen we would know for sure BIS or BES and trying to get rid of it.

Oh well I suppose we will never know... **** we all should give each other a thank you on this thread for just trying...I am game if everyone else is....lol

Heck why not?
    12-29-10 03:35 PM
    Did the person the phone came from ever have a personal email address on it? If that was answered and we knew it thaen we would know for sure BIS or BES and trying to get rid of it.
    You can have a personal email address on a BES phone...
    12-29-10 04:06 PM
    You can have a personal email address on a BES phone...
    Yes I know but generally it is accepted that if you do you have a BIS acct is what I was getting at.
    12-29-10 04:16 PM
    Okay I'm back! (Apparently to defend my intentions.) I paid $40 for a Verizon Curve 8550 from a friend who used it for personal purposes, not business. I'm not trying anything sneaky or illegal (to my knowledge). I am unable to add a personal email addr to the device it seems to only allow a BES email. I tried the swiss army wipe and reinstalled the OS, which didn't change any of the options, or restore what was missing. That said, I have no idea where my friend originally got the device, I suppose she may have gotten it secondhand as well. I'm going to check out the thread on removing an IT policy and see if that works. If not, I'm getting my $40 back! Thanks everyone for the help!
    12-29-10 04:27 PM
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned this to dana, but it would be a good idea for her "friend" to call the carrier and have the pin# released from the account.

12-29-10 04:28 PM

Just to clarify, Bold, I most certainly didn't steal the phone. It's beat to crap and I merely need something temporary until my 2 yrs is up so I can get a new phone without having to pay through the nose. I have an older Droid and I've reached my patience limit with it's lack of push and super short battery life.
    12-29-10 04:30 PM
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned this to dana, but it would be a good idea for her "friend" to call the carrier and have the pin# released from the account.

Thanks Albee, I've done that.
    12-29-10 04:31 PM

Now that we have been aware that this is a BES device which we have been asking all along, Albee great idea and I think that might settle this thread once and for all.
    12-29-10 04:38 PM
    Hmm, although I wonder if that PIN release is the same as activating it? I had to call Verizon to get it all set up and they said there was nothing wrong with the device that they could tell. I haven't bothered to call back and go through a full troubleshoot, mostly because I figured this was something I could easily fix on my own. But maybe not....
    12-29-10 04:39 PM
    Dana, I was really just joking about it.

I really do hope you get it working. Least we now know it is BES, so if the pin is released I would assume it would work.

Also ask your friend why he/she took so much off the phone...was it limited on memory? If so, another reason to install a fresh OS.

12-29-10 04:51 PM
    Dana, I was really just joking about it.

I really do hope you get it working. Least we now know it is BES, so if the pin is released I would assume it would work.

Also ask your friend why he/she took so much off the phone...was it limited on memory? If so, another reason to install a fresh OS.

Bold and everyone else I shared this thread with... this has to be one of the strangest threads I have shared in to get to 3 little letters... BES and we would have all known a long time ago what to suggest or do but anyway I think all of us showed alot of patience in this and am happy it worked out.

Now if the OP can get thingssorted out on their end all will be well

Good for all of us.
    12-29-10 05:55 PM
    Did you get Verizon to add the BB to your account and to activate BIS on your account? That is a BB data plan? A Droid data plan won't work for a BB. Once you get the BB data plan added and the BB on your account, that is for verizon to put the BB's imei number on your account, THEN try doing an HRT, which MIGHT add the options for regular email. To do an HRT, go to Options, then Advanced, then Host Routing, then press BB, and select Register Now.

EDIT: WORSTcase, it, IS an IT Policy problem and the only solution is to follow the instruction to get it removed, BUT try what I've suggested above first.
    12-29-10 08:18 PM
    On the carrier end (as a PDA Tier 2 tech for one of the major carriers) make sure that they have A) your PIN registered on your account and B) your Blackberry Provisioning is set up for BIS and not BES. Even if the account has BIS on it, they still have another provisioning system that's actually a back door into RIM that they have to set up with the correct provisioning for BIS. That at least may address your inability to add a personal e-mail address.
    12-30-10 09:30 AM
    I can see that some of you are really experts, so may be someone can help me.
    Due to resting a partiular program, my OS get corrupted. I had to reload it, it was V6.0.0284 na d the device is Torch 9800.

The loading went fine without the DTM, and the BB works fine except that I ma having the BB small rotating ( and very annoying) watch appearing every few minutes and rrotating for few seconds, and ofcurse the device hangs up for that period.

And I really mean every few mintues continiously.

I did a battery pull 4 times, and then relaod the OS from the begining again with no backup except the address book, and Pocketinformant db.

The problem is still there, so I thought I do a complete wipe and reload again.
    How can wipe safely and easily ( I hope).

Is it safe and advisable to use BBSAK ? I have read about the JL and I think it is risky for me.
    I am using the official RIM OS through my carier Vodafone in Egypt

Thanks you all
    Last edited by m.seif; 01-01-11 at 01:36 PM.
    01-01-11 01:31 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD