I have a Curve 8550 which I got from a friend and I would like to restore to factory presets, however, the "wipe handheld" option is completely missing from my Security options. Is there another way to perform this complete wipe?
    Thanks!
    Dana
    12-29-10 12:12 PM
    12-29-10 12:26 PM
    I don't think the OP is looking to wipe the OS off of the device. not sure what OS you have, or which Curve you have (8550??)

did you try: Menu - Security Options - General Settings - Hit the BB key - Wipe Handheld
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-29-10 at 12:36 PM.
    12-29-10 12:29 PM
    I don't think the OP is looking to wipe the OS off of the device.

did you try: Menu - Security Options - General Settings - Hit the BB key - Wipe Handheld
    I did try that and the option isn't there either. So bizarre! I suppose I would wipe the O/S as long as it could be reinstalled...
    12-29-10 12:36 PM
    I did try that and the option isn't there either. So bizarre! I suppose I would wipe the O/S as long as it could be reinstalled...
    Why do you need to wipe it in the first place?
    12-29-10 12:38 PM
    BBSAK does have the option to do a simple security wipe, they call it a factory reset, it's under misc.
    pcgizmo#IM and DawgMan like this.
    12-29-10 12:40 PM
    BBSAK does have the option to do a simple security wipe, they call it a factory reset, it's under misc.
    Thanks, Rich. I don't recall seeing it.
    12-29-10 12:41 PM
    Why do you need to wipe it in the first place?
    He said he got it from a friend and most likely wants to wipe the friends info and return it to factory for himself.
    12-29-10 12:41 PM
    He said he got it from a friend and most likely wants to wipe the friends info and return it to factory for himself.
    Yeah, I saw that, but I have a hunch it has a BES policy on it that prevents the user from accessing the security wipe.
    12-29-10 12:44 PM
    I doubt dana marie is a "he"
    12-29-10 12:44 PM
    I'm a she ) and I do want to use it for myself, not looking to return it. The problem is that there seems to be a lot of options missing from the device, not sure how my friend managed to delete everything but he did a great job making it virtually unusable. So I figured a hard reset would bring everything back.
    12-29-10 12:47 PM
    I doubt dana marie is a "he"
    LOL....but hey she (jaguar) was quick to point out that I apparently can't read
    12-29-10 12:47 PM
    I'm a she ) and I do want to use it for myself, not looking to return it. The problem is that there seems to be a lot of options missing from the device, not sure how my friend managed to delete everything but he did a great job making it virtually unusable. So I figured a hard reset would bring everything back.
    Sounds like a BES locked-down device to me
    12-29-10 12:48 PM
    Sounds like a BES locked-down device to me
    Forgive my blackberry ignorance, but I don't know what that means. Aside from guessing that I'm not going to be able to do much with it... And no worries on the gender issues, I've been telling my mom for years that she gave me a man's name!
    12-29-10 12:53 PM
    Forgive my blackberry ignorance, but I don't know what that means. Aside from guessing that I'm not going to be able to do much with it... And no worries on the gender issues, I've been telling my mom for years that she gave me a man's name!
    Install BBSAK on your PC and use the factory rest function.

"The Factory Reset function is used by those who have an IT Policy put on there Blackberry via a BES Server. This function will remove the IT Policy from your device."

Since I have never done this, I'm guessing that will restore all of your Curve's functionality.
    DawgMan likes this.
    12-29-10 12:55 PM
    I have a Curve 8550 which I got from a friend and I would like to restore to factory presets, however, the "wipe handheld" option is completely missing from my Security options. Is there another way to perform this complete wipe?
    Thanks!
    Dana
    Did you friend have a personal email(BIS acct) or a business IT(BESAcct)?
    12-29-10 12:55 PM
    The BB used to be on a business plan, and the business had it locked down so certain things could not be down without their consent. Completely wiping the OS from the device and reloading it MIGHT work, but if not then you will need to remove the IT Policy. Here is a thread that explains how to do that. BUT first try a complete OS wipe, that is wipe the OS so the device produces an error 507, no OS, then reload an OS on to the device.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/remo...lackberry-569/
    12-29-10 12:56 PM
    Did you friend have a personal email(BIS acct) or a business IT(BESAcct)?
    She already said she doesn't know what all that means.
    12-29-10 12:57 PM
    Install BBSAK on your PC and use the factory rest function.

"The Factory Reset function is used by those who have an IT Policy put on there Blackberry via a BES Server. This function will remove the IT Policy from your device."

Since I have never done this, I'm guessing that will restore all of your Curve's functionality.
    Gizmo, you are a genius. Thank you, I will try that!
    12-29-10 12:57 PM
    LOL....but hey she (jaguar) was quick to point out that I apparently can't read
    That was not done out of any meaness on my part, it was just a mistake on my part thats all. Sorry if I offened anyone...lol
    12-29-10 12:59 PM
    She already said she doesn't know what all that means.
    just saw it too late and only trying to help like everyone else here but I think she has it now.
    12-29-10 01:02 PM
    just saw it too late and only trying to help like everyone else here but I think she has it now.
    sorry if I misinterpreted your post
    12-29-10 01:04 PM
    The BB used to be on a business plan, and the business had it locked down so certain things could not be down without their consent. Completely wiping the OS from the device and reloading it MIGHT work, but if not then you will need to remove the IT Policy. Here is a thread that explains how to do that. BUT first try a complete OS wipe, that is wipe the OS so the device produces an error 507, no OS, then reload an OS on to the device.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/remo...lackberry-569/
    I actually originally posted this but with everything else coming in I deleted the post, I suppose since you posted it also pk I should have left it...lol
    12-29-10 01:04 PM
    I actually originally posted this but with everything else coming in I deleted the post, I suppose since you posted it also pk I should have left it...lol
    I hesitated posting removing IT policy info too. I had a feeling someone who has a device that shouldn't is trying to remove a policy they're not authorized to.
    12-29-10 01:08 PM
    I'm not certain a factory reset will work, usually IT policies are pretty robust, and they have a way of coming back on you. BUT it's worth a shot.
    12-29-10 01:08 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD