First post!

Hi Folks, Im planning on doing the switch! ME WANT BLACK BERRY. YOM YOM YOM!

Question though, has anybody went from using a Windows mobile device, to using a blackberry OS? Is it faster and smoother? Im sick of my windows mobile device because its slow, clunky and laggy. For example, when I turn on my phone from sleeping, want to make a fast dial or send a text message, its very slow! Going from the main "desktop" to a program it lags!

So overall, anybody actually use a Windows mobile device, went to blackberry OS and can really see a difference?

Nice to be on board-

Charmane
    07-13-08 09:43 PM
    Kick my Treo to the curb and no regret whatsoever, less headaches with resetting the phone.
    In a nutshell, with my BB the only thing I will tell you is that "It just works"
    07-13-08 09:53 PM
    Welcome to the Crack!
    07-13-08 09:54 PM
    I used a Samsung SCH-i730 the predecessor of your i760 and have switched to a Curve 8310.

I still like Windows Mobile, at least the PPC side. WM Smartphone lacks some features that I consider important. I haven't had the BlackBerry for long, but can definitely see how for the average user, the BB platform does what most users need and does it with a stable operating system that doesn't require you to dig into the system (other then memory optimization, since the curve is a little short on device memory). I loved my PPC Phone Edition and loved tweaking and configuring it. I enjoyed see what I could get out of it, but for many this is just out of the question.

Email on the BlackBerry is different, since WM doesn't have true push. That said, I really miss full IMAP IDLE sync, which is better in some ways. Makes maintaining email folders and only reading email once regardless of device possible where it doesn't quite work that well on a BB.

There are also the more odd things like remote logging in to a PC from my device that I haven't found a way yet on the BlackBerry. I could use LogMeIn.com from my PPC to remote login to my wife computer and fix things even when away on business. Marriage saver.

Third party application are a little few on the BB expecialy in certain categories. I'm patiently waiting for PocketInformant to make it to the BlackBerry. PI8 is a great application with some amazing support. The lack of Homescreen to allow for the addition of third party plugins is a pretty good hole. I could use and modify my PIM data completely from SBSH's PocketBreeze on the PPC. One amazing TodayScreen plugin with fantastic support.

Battery life is also a bit difficult to compare since most Windows Mobile devices are 3G, which tends to be a bit more power hungry. Even with that I don't believe a WM device can touch the battery life of a BB.

There is no perfect platform and comparisons are good, but must be done with some understanding.

Hope this helps a bit.
    07-13-08 10:26 PM
    I'm a long time Windows Mobile user as well, currently a not-so-proud owner of a 1+ year old Motorola Q, and am seriously eying a BlackBerry as my next smartphone. My top pick right now is the forthcoming Thunder, though I will make sure to carefully read reviews when it comes out to make sure the touch functions are up to par.

Anyway, as a long time power user of Windows Mobile devices, I'm wondering how Blackberries compare in these areas:

• syncing of Outlook contact, calendar, and task info, including notes, categories, and other "advanced" fields

• IMAP email access of an Exchange server, including email subfolders. Or does the Blackberry Desktop software handle all this well?

• overall OS stability when just using built-in apps plus a few mainstream 3rd party apps like Google maps

• quality of 3rd party games

I know I'll be taking a step down with 3rd party app support (or maybe I'll have no choices whatsoever for a while given the Thunder's higher rez screen). But the truth is while my MotoQ can run lots of 3rd party apps, I've uninstalled most of them due to stability issues. And the BB phones come with most apps I need built in! I will miss my Q's awesome Sega Genesis emulator though.
    07-21-08 05:15 PM
    Charmanestar asked:

1) Has anybody went from using a Windows mobile device, to using a blackberry OS?

Yes, went from a Moto Q, to Samsung i760, to a BB Curve.

2) Is it faster and smoother?

Yes, faster and smoother to a point. With the curve, its much more fluid than a WM device, but it's not exactly seamless as well. Supposedly with the faster processors in the upcoming Bold/Thunder, the switching of apps will be almost instantaneous.

Redman042 asked:

1) Syncing of Outlook contact, calendar, and task info, including notes, categories, and other "advanced" fields?

The Desktop manager (DM) does a good job syncing between outlook and the BB. Any advances fields can be user defined mapped to your liking. This is using DM and a cable or bluetooth sync. If you want true Over the Air (OTA) sync capabilities, you'll need an exchange server running BES. You'll also have to have a BES dataplan on the BB rather than the cheaper BIS.

2) IMAP email access of an Exchange server, including email subfolders. Or does the Blackberry Desktop software handle all this well?

I dont' IMAP into an Exchange server so I don't know. I do know the BB can handle IMAP. I don't believe it can handle IMAP subfolders. As far as connecting to exchange servers, if you have BIS, you can only connect if the Exchange server has a OWA (Outlook web Access) running 2003. I don't think BIS can handle OWA Office 2007. If you have BES, well, then you really don't need to use IMAP.

IMAP is not instantaneous on the BB as it polls the servers anywhere from 1-15 minutes. Also read/delete reconciliation might not be instantaneous as well.

Again my knowledge of IMAP on a BB is limited so I could be wrong.

3) Overall OS stability when just using built-in apps plus a few mainstream 3rd party apps like Google maps?

Rock solid

4) Quality of 3rd party games?

Almost non-existent.
    07-21-08 05:41 PM
    KINetics, thanks for the great responses. Hmmm, looks like some compromise is involved in the switch - such is life with smartphones, eh?

Right now I'd rank UI speed, advanced features, and phone reliability as my top criteria. Sounds like BB all the way! I will be bummed to lose OTA Exchange sync though. My company has Exchange 2003 and we just recently enabled OTA ActiveSync. It is terrific and works great on my Q (except when my Q crashes).

BES is not an option for my company. Too expensive and there would only be one or two users.

So for me it will be BIS with Desktop Manager and Blackberry Mail Connector so I can view, reply, and delete messages on my BB and have that reflected on my Outlook at work (at least according to blackberryfaq.com). Yes I'll have to keep my work computer running. Not the end of the world.
    07-21-08 06:57 PM
    All current CDMA blackberries are 3G as well.
    07-21-08 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD