To me, the PlayBook is not a true computer, and I don't need it or want it to be. I love the PlayBook and will take it everywhere, but I still need my Laptop. That said, I want to replace my *laptop* with a Windows 8 PC tablet. A 10 or so inch tablet that I can have a full Windows desktop on. That is what I am excited for. Guess what though, I would still bring and use my PlayBook because I would still need that median.

There is not one tablet that can compete with a laptop/desktop, that is just not the purpose of them right now. If a Windows 8 PC Tablet comes out that can compete with a laptop (think of a tablet the size of a closed ultra thin laptop and as powerful), then I believe that the Playbook (over Android and iOS) would be the best companion tablet for it. Windows 8 might just be a good thing for RIM.

I think that Windows 8 will be part of the evolution of the tablet to a full PC, and that there will still be a need for smaller companion tablets. RIM will fit in extremely well in that market, better than Android and even better than the iOS, imo.
    Yeah I agree! The PlayBook for me hands down is my tablet of choice! I don't think that will change but like you said if windows tablet truly let's you get away from your laptop then I will probably get one! Is it greedy to ask for a 7" windows tablet though?.. Guess I will have to have both cause I use the PlayBook too much and am reliant on it for work.
    03-01-12 03:41 PM
    windows 8 tablets will destroy both ipad and playbook. windows 8 is the real deal not toy like iOS/android.
    i`ll agree windows 8 tabs will sell quite a bit to businesses, probably not so much to consumers though.

as for `real deal` your serious?? windows without a start menu!! like wtf to that! next apple will install flash lol.

iv never had a mac or any apple product (other than their headphones) but with windows8 (had dev and consumer previews) im seriously rethinking that mac OS is probably going to be more for me. im sorry but i detest the tiles layout of windows8. sure it`ll be awesome on a tab, and prob half decent on a touchscreen pc. i however run a laptop and desktop both of which arent touchscreens, and that means this windows was most definitley NOT my idea
    shn'g likes this.
    03-01-12 04:03 PM
    I guess you missed the "Desktop Tile"?
    yes theres a desktop tile (which was far more obvious as a desktop tile in the dev preview than it is now) but seriously no start menu? what next?

let me put it this way, MS has a history of good then bad, for example:
    xp - good, vista - very bad, 7 - good, 8 - nuff said i think.
    shn'g likes this.
    03-01-12 04:06 PM
    If a product is copied, this is a good product.
    End of story, good news !
    shn'g likes this.
    03-01-12 05:19 PM
    If a product is copied, this is a good product.
    End of story, good news !
    I would say it would be more of a "good idea", not a "good product". Just because you copy something doesn't mean what you copied is good. However, the idea behind it can be good. That being said, good products are copied, but not only good products are copied.
    Superfly_FR and shn'g like this.
    03-01-12 05:35 PM
    Windows 8 Beta: Hands-on with Microsoft's tablet-friendly OS | Mobile World Congress - CNET Reviews

So I just watched this review from cnet on upcoming windows 8. Is it just me or does that look a lot like the QNX operating system with all those hidden settings and swipe gestures? Wow I think they both have it right in their operating systems! I have to admit windows 8 is looking pretty nice though!
    As a point of reference, Windows 8 entered development during the summer of 2009, with internal builds through 2010. Neither RIM nor Microsoft are copying the other. They have, however, taken rather convergent approaches to an interface. Personally, I think they are (by far) the best two out. I can switch from my Playbook tablet to my laptop running the Windows 8 beta without even thinking much about it....
    shn'g likes this.
    03-01-12 05:56 PM
    I installed windows 8 on my laptop and played a little until I got totally frustrated. If they go down that path it will make windows 7 like windows xp, last forever. No one will willingly convert a normal non-touch pc.
    Wow, so you are the voice of all sentient creation? Last I checked, lots of people are downloading it and it is getting very good reviews. Some people don't find the interface comfortable and others do. Of course it is a beta and will change a bit, but people will have months to play with it before it goes final. I have it installed on the laptop on which I am typing and find it to be a great interface. I also like the fact that can now check all my email from my desktop - no need to open Outlook. The IE app is also very fast....
    shn'g likes this.
    03-01-12 06:02 PM
    Well, I'm liking Windows 8 on my netbook, I don't think I would like it on a tablet though.

The windows button brings up the Start page, I like that a lot.
    03-02-12 10:34 AM
    Well, I'm liking Windows 8 on my netbook, I don't think I would like it on a tablet though.

The windows button brings up the Start page, I like that a lot.
    put it in portrait mode in display properties in desktop haha proof its just a tablet OS baked into windows 7.

as for the start menu, it wouldn't be such a loss, if I didn't have to load all my apps into the run command screen now I guess (win key + r) that jus takes ages to get ya most used ones in there. and tiles for non metro apps look poor in the sense it doesn't match.
    03-02-12 08:50 PM
    i`ll agree windows 8 tabs will sell quite a bit to businesses, probably not so much to consumers though.

as for `real deal` your serious?? windows without a start menu!! like wtf to that! next apple will install flash lol.

iv never had a mac or any apple product (other than their headphones) but with windows8 (had dev and consumer previews) im seriously rethinking that mac OS is probably going to be more for me. im sorry but i detest the tiles layout of windows8. sure it`ll be awesome on a tab, and prob half decent on a touchscreen pc. i however run a laptop and desktop both of which arent touchscreens, and that means this windows was most definitley NOT my idea
    I can see Windows 7 Being my last Windows desktop, and me going back to Linux, LONG before I go to Mac OSX, I can not stand OSX almost as much as I am hating Windows 8, and this Metro theme is coming to Office 15, so Office 2010 I will hold onto as long as possible!
    03-02-12 09:10 PM
    put it in portrait mode in display properties in desktop haha proof its just a tablet OS baked into windows 7.

as for the start menu, it wouldn't be such a loss, if I didn't have to load all my apps into the run command screen now I guess (win key + r) that jus takes ages to get ya most used ones in there. and tiles for non metro apps look poor in the sense it doesn't match.
    I had that option on W7 too, I actually set it to portrait once accidentally and it took me 5 minutes to set it back

Coming from a basic W7 I like it, it's faster and I deleted all Metro UI apps and set my own as shortcuts, love it.

Everything still works, DM and all.
    03-03-12 01:22 AM
    I guess you missed the "Desktop Tile"?
    No, I was on the normal desktop by pressing that tile. I am talking about the start menu. Forcing us to use metro as a start menu, when it feels like a phone on your desktop, which I hate, sucks bad. It is less productive, with Metro you have to dig through hidden obscure menus to find something, wtf was MS thinking?
    03-03-12 03:27 PM
    No, I was on the normal desktop by pressing that tile. I am talking about the start menu. Forcing us to use metro as a start menu, when it feels like a phone on your desktop, which I hate, sucks bad. It is less productive, with Metro you have to dig through hidden obscure menus to find something, wtf was MS thinking?
    Dont worry buddy, you will be able to change it, you have been able to change any part of the UI since windows XP, that includes vista and 7. It will be possible in 8, even if its not from microsoft itself, but there is a great chance you will be able to get the original start menu implemented by microsoft, because even 7 and vista have the classic start menu, which is why... windows will still be the most popular platform. Because, you can do anything with it and the amount of developers it has eats any other platform.

People still keep concluding that the windows 8 metro UI is and will be the only UI available, when they are so wrong in many levels...

Buh bye...
    Last edited by nms64; 03-03-12 at 05:10 PM.
    03-03-12 05:03 PM
    Windows 8 isn't POSIX compatible or Linux based either. It's windows. It is not QNX. It will never be QNX. Sure the UI could be copied, but it's still windows deep down to the core.
    03-04-12 02:18 AM
    You can delete the metro ui apps from start screen and you can pin anything you want to it, even settings. I already have all the stuff I need pinned to start.
    03-04-12 03:11 AM
    Big, bulky, ugly and ********. I'll never get a w8 tablet. EVER.
    03-04-12 03:54 AM
    Big, bulky, ugly and ********. I'll never get a w8 tablet. EVER.
    I've only seen a couple of videos on Win 8 but I agree. That UI is so ********. Absolutely hate those tiles. Does MS think we're so mentally challenged they have to dumb down the UI that much! No up/down swiping, child-like design, and probaby other stupid features that I'm unaware of.

Best tablet UI's I've seen so far are Android and PBOS. I wish the they could mesh the two to come up with the ultimate!

To respond to the OP, I don't think Win 8 copied from QNX because it is clearly inferior to it from a UI perspective.

Fearless prediction: Windows 8 is the new Vista.
    Last edited by dynot; 03-04-12 at 08:19 AM.
    03-04-12 08:14 AM
    I've only seen a couple of videos on Win 8 but I agree. That UI is so ********. Absolutely hate those tiles. Does MS think we're so mentally challenged they have to dumb down the UI that much! No up/down swiping, child-like design, and probaby other stupid features that I'm unaware of.

Best tablet UI's I've seen so far are Android and PBOS. I wish the they could mesh the two to come up with the ultimate!

To respond to the OP, I don't think Win 8 copied from QNX because it is clearly inferior to it from a UI perspective.

Windows 8 makes sense on a laptop, not on a tablet, maybe MS are banking on a new generation of touch screen laptops/ultrabooks.

I love it on my HP Mini 210.
    03-04-12 08:44 AM
    I don't care who copied whole, but that Windows 8 looks sweet.

I always thought that MS was the dark horse in the tablet space. The way that thing switches from full fledged desktop to tablet is just awesome. Windows 8 UI seems great too.

Apple would have a fight on its hands now. Even Mac OSX is getting old now and this time Apple wouldn't find it easy to deploy a completely new OS from the ground up as this time they have a big user base. Let's see how Apple handles innovation and legacy support.
    From what I can see so far, the capabilities of this thing kicks the snot out of anything currently out there by a long shot. Whether it catches on with most of the sweaty masses who need gadgets-for-dummies is another story. MS has served up Apple in the desktop/laptop market to the point where Apple are pretty much a niche market there, so you'd have to be either pretty naive or a really hardcore fanboy to think they're not capable of throwing down with them in the tablet sector. At the very least, the polish on the OS I saw on that review completely destroys Android. That really doesn't shock me though, considering Android is largely based on Linux, and the Linux incarnations are amateur hour compared to Windows 7 in the PC world.

But the funniest thing of all I find, is that Apple jumped the gun with their iPad 3 release, which really doesn't add much to the existing iPad 2, and they're going to be stuck comparing it against this beast for 2012.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 03-22-12 at 08:45 AM.
    03-22-12 08:40 AM
    Cause running Microsoft security essentials, something that uses hardly any resources and is free/updates via windows update is hard to do.

The kind of people that get viruses on WI does are the type that really should get a mac these days. It actually takes effort to get infected, now lol especially on a post-XP version of windows.

To me it seems like they looked at the competition to see what works and used that in W8.

I like it. I'll definitely look for it in stores and try it

Will I need to run antivirus software? That's one big reason I switched to Mac. It's been a couple of years and I still don't run antivirus software (I don't visit 'shady' sites)

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    03-22-12 09:05 AM
    Cause running Microsoft security essentials, something that uses hardly any resources and is free/updates via windows update is hard to do.

The kind of people that get viruses on WI does are the type that really should get a mac these days. It actually takes effort to get infected, now lol especially on a post-XP version of windows.
    Actually, Windows 8 will not get MSE. The built in Windows Defender has been merged with MSE's antivirus code. I LOVE how completely transparent it is.
    03-22-12 12:18 PM
    I am running it daily in a dual boot on my laptop. It zooms and I have no issues other than a shortage of printer drivers, which MS always works to resolve. The thing is fast, including boot speed.

It will no doubt be great on a tablet and make Windows viable in that format. In fact, I would say it will be the best on a tablet once apps become "Metro compliant". Office coming shortly after or before with Metro built in will help.

However, I find it works well on a laptop. It took me about a week to get used to Metro supplanting the start menu, but I actually like it. Once you optimize the items in the Metro "block", it puts your precious few apps at your fingertips. The multi-tasking and gestures work well.

I think people will resist but, much like the Office ribbon, will eventually like it. It will take time. Tablet and phone adoption will drive desktop adoption however!
    03-22-12 02:38 PM
    My thinking too
    I like metro UI on Windows Phone, but using it for a desktop, I don't think so, even with a touchscreen monitor. I'll keep my Windows 7 machine and see what sorts out.
    03-23-12 05:46 AM
    this thread is too nerdy for my liking. i'm outta here.
    03-23-12 12:08 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD