I don't get why every time something new is released, someone here feels the need to compare it to the playbook and/or BlackBerry, and then someone always shows up to call it crap or garbage, when they've never even used it. And it's also funny how AWESOMESAUCE BB10 will supposedly be just from a few demos and videos. Yeah, you've used a playbook, but you still haven't used the final, released product of BB10.
    mikeo007 and Roo Zilla like this.
    11-03-12 10:09 AM
    If anyone wants to use Windows 8 shortcuts on a desktop/laptop, there is a really good list here
    11-03-12 11:42 AM
    There are many windows/Microsoft updates today. I got 16 updates for windows 64 desktop version with media centre. Over 300mb, a few of them just said 'performance improvements but with that size of updates it must be fairly significant.
    11-14-12 03:34 AM
    Microsoft's man in charge of creating Windows 8, Steven Sinofsky, was fired today! Is it because Windows 8 sucks so bad?
    Microsoft's man in charge of creating Windows 8, Steven Sinofsky, was fired today! Is it because Windows 8 sucks so bad? - Brian Madden - BrianMadden.com
    11-14-12 10:13 AM
    Will poor sales of Windows 8 and Surface lead to Ballmer�s ousting?

Will poor sales of Windows 8 and Surface lead to Ballmer’s ousting? � THE POST PC
    11-14-12 10:16 AM
    Windows 7 is a good OS. There is no reason to stop using Windows 7.

Microsoft had more failures than successes with their operating systems. They also make lots of money on their office products and infrastructure's. Not their OS's.

It was a given that Windows 8 would be a flop. Booz Allen just recently switched to Windows 7 and won't be switching to windows 8.

Its all hype for the consumer market. If it wasn't than why does the business world keep flip flopping between BB and Apple.

When the new BB products hit the streets things will change.

9900 & Tapatalk
    11-14-12 10:38 AM
    Only used windows 8 in the shop it was cool as a tablet for apps I saw it more for the phone/tablet niche market as an OS its pointless you can't install stuff on it like you would a normal win OS so its pointless keeping the desktop side.At first I was sure to get the pro version as I could get a laptop/tablet hybrid(i still dont have a laptop till this day) but not conivinced now.The whole desktop/metro split is just a mess why cant they be in one place?? I'll probably wait for win9 or until they fix that split crap I don't know what its trying to be.From my point of view the tiles are cool but as a PC desktop user who installs/unistalls programs frequently the tiles are just nothing but fancy arranged desktop icons forcing this metro has not worked they have not worked out who this works best for at all.

They could of kept everything in one space and have the start bar hide metro is just fancy arranged desktop icons why is getting a whole new place to the desktop?? I dont understand billion dollar company do they not test the user experince before release or what?? Its would of been simpler to just keep metro and desktop in one space.And why are there no advert's on apps for designing people like to draw with a pen and the like?? Instead of this cool dancing advert.Why did they not showcase a new painting app with a pen and hand usage and focus on fun based touch apps?? Seriously dropped the ball they got to sort it out with the money they spend this is poor.

As for WP8 aint used one but my pops has had W7/7.5 phones so I kind of already know what it does how it feels.The WP's have been remade and repackage quite a few times now I havent seen big leaps it still has things in list format which just does'nt scream quick and efficient.But I have to applaud greedypops the current WP8 advertising,lookwise,making it gimmiky its things I would expect from orange.greedypops/nokia have done well on branding front greedypops out oranged orange..

Really find it funny the whole WP8 look is something totally orange would do funny how greedypops got there first.If oranges had created the tiles and those colour phones with the excellent nokia features man oh man we would not hear the end of it so thanks on that front sometimes your enemys are your friends.Its no Blackberry buy yeah Wp8 it aint bad nokia/greedypops did well they can pick up quite alot of consumers with those prices more than we think especially worldwide its good quality for a not so expensive phone its more than just decent.They can defo take out htc,LG's and the other cyborg phones.Keep an eye on them can surprise us.
    11-14-12 01:20 PM
    Only used windows 8 in the shop it was cool as a tablet for apps I saw it more for the phone/tablet niche market as an OS its pointless you can't install stuff on it like you would a normal win OS so its pointless keeping the desktop side.At first I was sure to get the pro version as I could get a laptop/tablet hybrid(i still dont have a laptop till this day) but not conivinced now.The whole desktop/metro split is just a mess why cant they be in one place?? I'll probably wait for win9 or until they fix that split crap I don't know what its trying to be.From my point of view the tiles are cool but as a PC desktop user who installs/unistalls programs frequently the tiles are just nothing but fancy arranged desktop icons forcing this metro has not worked they have not worked out who this works best for at all.

They could of kept everything in one space and have the start bar hide metro is just fancy arranged desktop icons why is getting a whole new place to the desktop?? I dont understand billion dollar company do they not test the user experince before release or what?? Its would of been simpler to just keep metro and desktop in one space.And why are there no advert's on apps for designing people like to draw with a pen and the like?? Instead of this cool dancing advert.Why did they not showcase a new painting app with a pen and hand usage and focus on fun based touch apps?? Seriously dropped the ball they got to sort it out with the money they spend this is poor.

As for WP8 aint used one but my pops has had W7/7.5 phones so I kind of already know what it does how it feels.The WP's have been remade and repackage quite a few times now I havent seen big leaps it still has things in list format which just does'nt scream quick and efficient.But I have to applaud greedypops the current WP8 advertising,lookwise,making it gimmiky its things I would expect from orange.greedypops/nokia have done well on branding front greedypops out oranged orange..

Really find it funny the whole WP8 look is something totally orange would do funny how greedypops got there first.If oranges had created the tiles and those colour phones with the excellent nokia features man oh man we would not hear the end of it so thanks on that front sometimes your enemys are your friends.Its no Blackberry buy yeah Wp8 it aint bad nokia/greedypops did well they can pick up quite alot of consumers with those prices more than we think especially worldwide its good quality for a not so expensive phone its more than just decent.They can defo take out htc,LG's and the other cyborg phones.Keep an eye on them can surprise us.
    I don't know what you're talking about. I have it on my lappy and have several desktop software installed including office 2010 and I just ignore the metro side. If you don't like it, like me, don't use it.
    11-14-12 01:36 PM

As above, I spend most of the day in the desktop mode, like I said early on in this thread, its more like an enhancement pack for windows 7. I like the performance improvements even without today's latest bug/performance fixes. It detects and releases usb devices much faster, detects and repairs networks better when they change and I've done a lot of installs/uninstalls and these seem to be cleaner than under windows 7.
    11-14-12 01:44 PM
    11-14-12 04:31 PM
    Of course they are. It's too different but isn't really after one click.
    11-14-12 04:41 PM
    I know others have already shot down your poor logic, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents. As someone who owns both a BlackBerry (9780, that I'm happy with) and a WP7 phone (HTC Mozart, also happy with), WP7 is really good. And it's not something that's just shiny and gets old after a week or two (had mine for 2 months already). WP8 is an upgrade to WP7 so your statement "If WP8 is just as bad" is invalid. It doesn't even matter that it's similar to Windows 8. I've had the Windows 8 demo for a few days, and it's not bad, (though probably better suited to mobile devices) then some time later I got a windows phone and realized how similar WP7 is to Windows 8 already. So bottom line, WP8 isn't going to be some huge change from what consumers has seen before, just an upgrade to WP7.
    11-14-12 05:21 PM
    Windows 8 is aweful,the metro UI is wonderful - for tablets and horrible for us desktop users, when i saw how MSFT removed the start button & buried desktop inside metro, it convinced me to switch to OS X , and could't be happier
    For MSFT & their fanboys it was, with Nokia wp7 would kiss , it didn't, then with Mango it would kiss , it didn't and now WP8 would kiss - i hope it wouldn't for BB 10's sake
    Windows 7 is a perfectly fine OS, but because Windows 8 is so aweful, you've switched to a totally different OS? I swear, the more time I spend on the internet, the less faith I have in humanity.
    11-14-12 05:38 PM
    I'll say again, I don't mind Win8. It's not a magical, transcendent experience after Win7, but I don't feel like I'm really missing anything either.

I do think, though, that Windows 8 is getting a rough ride in the arena of public opinion. It's coming to be generally disliked, and yes, I think there is some chance that could wind up reflecting on the phones, no matter HOW good they are.
    11-14-12 05:58 PM
    Just like your AWFUL spelling? lol. And I love Windows 8. I also like Windows Phone 8. This is all your opinion and there will be some people who agree and many others who don't. And how would you even know that you hate it if you haven't extensively used it? It is obviously a different UI than 7, but if you actually use it, you will find that it is just as functional.
    11-14-12 06:24 PM
    More bad news for microsoft as now they are being sued. Windows 8 has been a total flop and the surface has many issues and problems that it would take to long to list.
    California lawyer sues Microsoft claiming storage space on Surface tablet less than advertised
    http://www.680news.com/news/world/ar...han-advertised
    11-14-12 07:13 PM
    Well I was bored, so I "upgraded" to Windows 8. An hour into it, I'm looking to go back probably. I don't get the advantage of Windows 8 for a desktop? If I could touch and swipe those tiles, it might be pretty fun. As it is, it's just clumsy and awkward. Even the window edges (etc.) look primitive, reminding me of Windows NT.

Windows 7 is OK, but I do so miss Windows XP.
    11-14-12 09:00 PM
    More bad news for microsoft as now they are being sued. Windows 8 has been a total flop and the surface has many issues and problems that it would take to long to list.
    California lawyer sues Microsoft claiming storage space on Surface tablet less than advertised
    California lawyer sues Microsoft claiming storage space on Surface tablet less than advertised - 680News
    And you're still a total troll
    11-15-12 04:04 AM

Microsoft had more failures than successes with their operating systems. They also make lots of money on their office products and infrastructure's. Not their OS's.

It was a given that Windows 8 would be a flop. Booz Allen just recently switched to Windows 7 and won't be switching to windows 8.

Its all hype for the consumer market. If it wasn't than why does the business world keep flip flopping between BB and Apple.

9900 & Tapatalk
    Which failures can you point to that Microsoft has had in recent years with their Operating systems?

XP was a critical and financial success. Vista was a financial success even though it got some pretty negative user feedback. Windows 7 has been a consumer and financial success story. Upgrade numbers for Windows 8 are so far pretty healthy...and the uptick will grow as more people use it.

See, this is why people should actually put some thought and research in what they say instead of sticking to tired talking points.
    11-15-12 04:06 AM
    Look I'm sure people bash windows 8 for their reasons but Here's my set of opinion:

Windows 8 IS A WONDERFUL operating system. When you hook a touchscreen to it, it performs wonderful. Now look, windows 8 phones will probably nice. Now remember, I am a hardcore bb fan but please, don't unnecessary bashing of devices which aren't half bad.

Edit:

I personally own one as well. I believe that windows 8 is a new era and my touchscreen laptop performs well with it and I enormously enjoy the interface and appstore.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.714 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    11-15-12 04:25 AM
    Which failures can you point to that Microsoft has had in recent years with their Operating systems?

XP was a critical and financial success. Vista was a financial success even though it got some pretty negative user feedback. Windows 7 has been a consumer and financial success story. Upgrade numbers for Windows 8 are so far pretty healthy...and the uptick will grow as more people use it.

See, this is why people should actually put some thought and research in what they say instead of sticking to tired talking points.
    A success for Microsoft is not always a success for the end user. Vista was a prime example of this. Thus the reason for two versions Vista.
    11-16-12 12:29 AM

9900 & Tapatalk
    Windows 7 is excellent OS but after close to a month with Windows 8 (I have windows 7 installed on my desktop and windows 8 on my laptop) i think Windows 8 is awesome. For starters Windows 8 runs so much faster on my laptop than Windows 7 before. Secondly, i am happy that start button is gone and i love metro integration. I find myself metro apps a lot. I like a lot email and calendar client.
    There is lot of reasons to like Windows 8. The only (and probably big) problem is that many will find new windows 8 too difficult to learn. Anyways, i think at this point my second choice after BB10 would be Windows 8 phone. As much as i like Google I just think that Android OS is just not as good.
    djenkins6 likes this.
    11-16-12 12:33 PM
    Windows 7 is excellent OS but after close to a month with Windows 8 (I have windows 7 installed on my desktop and windows 8 on my laptop) i think Windows 8 is awesome. For starters Windows 8 runs so much faster on my laptop than Windows 7 before. Secondly, i am happy that start button is gone and i love metro integration. I find myself metro apps a lot. I like a lot email and calendar client.
    There is lot of reasons to like Windows 8. The only (and probably big) problem is that many will find new windows 8 too difficult to learn. Anyways, i think at this point my second choice after BB10 would be Windows 8 phone. As much as i like Google I just think that Android OS is just not as good.
    I agree except what you say about metro. I stay away from the crap metro apps and their limited settings and options. I do hope they get better though. As of now I have win8 and still plan on BB10 for my mobile. I don't need all of my devices being exactly the same UI etc I just want certain things to be the same or show the same info with no hoops to jump through.
    11-16-12 12:46 PM
    I agree except what you say about metro. I stay away from the crap metro apps and their limited settings and options. I do hope they get better though. As of now I have win8 and still plan on BB10 for my mobile. I don't need all of my devices being exactly the same UI etc I just want certain things to be the same or show the same info with no hoops to jump through.
    I will be buying Blackberry Phone. I just wrote that I would probably go with Windows Mobile phone (made by Microsoft, Nokia sucks) if for some unlikely reason blackberry was not to deliver BB10 phone. As to metro i feel differently than you. I agree that selection is limited and perhaps settings and options are not there yet. However i just like convenience and speed of metro. Google maps, google search, internet explorer 10 metro, wikipedia, even games like Angry Birds star wars (just played demo. I am keeping my $$ for playbook), microsoft calendar work well and are fast and easy to access. I do not miss Windows 7 and i think that Windows 8 is the best since windows Xp. I cannot comment on reliability as i do not have windows 8 long enough but in my opinion this is worth the money upgrade.
    11-16-12 04:13 PM
    I like windows 8, and wp8 looks very similar to wp7, so I say that wp8 will be better then wp7, not "just as bad as win8".
    11-16-12 04:54 PM
244 ... 45678 ...