Anyone else think this will be a big deal? Apps will be pointless if you can run full windows on a tablet or phone.

...all the current android manufacturers that lose out on the Google purchase of motorola will have incentive to move away from android
    12-30-11 01:24 PM
    its yet to be proven, and i think with what we have seen from HP, windows 7 phones and even the PB until something is proven its going to be a uphill climb
    12-30-11 01:30 PM
    Anyone else think this will be a big deal? Apps will be pointless if you can run full windows on a tablet or phone.
    Except that UIs that work well on the desktop don't work that well on tablets. And the other way around. This is something Microsoft has never gotten right in practice, going back to early Windows CE. I think successful Windows 8 applications will be the ones who have a tablet-specific UI.

...all the current android manufacturers that lose out on the Google purchase of motorola will have incentive to move away from android
    I think people are assuming way too much about the Google/Moto relationship. Google is not that dumb, they aren't going to sacrifice the success of Android to favor Motorola. They are an advertising company. Every other decision is meant to support that model. The Motorola purchase was a patent hedge, nothing more and nothing less.

Manufacturers will still have the same choice they have today. Pay zero dollars (or negative dollars) to Google for a pretty good OS. Or cut into your margins significantly and pay Microsoft per device for an OS that may be about as good (at best).
    12-30-11 03:13 PM
    If I remember correctly, Google stated that Motorola will receive no preferential treatment compared to other manufacturers. From my understanding, that purchase was purely for the patents.
    12-30-11 05:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD