Also want to add, almost forgot. For people who carry two devices and use a Computer to IM (and likely have IM apps on their secondary devices), this may affect you.

Common Setup: WP7 device, iPod Touch, Windows PC

Less Common Setup (Mine): Android Device, WP7 Device, iPod Touch, Windows PCs

I friended the Microsoft Translation Bot (MTBot). He instantly replies to messages you sent to him, so it's a great way to check how well IM clients support Multiple Points of Presense.

So, let's say you were chatting on your computer using WLM or even the Web Client in Hotmail. You get a phone call and have to run out a bit, but that's fine, cause you can chat with him on your Mango Phone!

Too bad. Unless you log off every other IM client, you won't recieve any IMs from that person. No Push Notifications, No Live Tile updates. Nothing. You can take your Mango phone and send him IMs, but they won't go to your phone most times. It's as if the Incoming Pipe from the server was cut off to the mango device.

I literally have to Remove my WLM and FB Chat Account from my Vibrant and not have my Browser Open or WLM logged into my PC to ensure the Messenger HUB works.

An illustration of the issue:

You'll notice every IM I get back from MTBot comes in almost instantly - to BeejiveIM on the ANDROID phone. BeejiveIM missed 2 Notifications out of 10. Mango got absolutely NONE.

In addition to that, Me Tile Notifications for Social Updates are painstakingly slow because it relies on a background task to update it. Background tasks on WP7 only are allowed to run once every 30 minutes. PUSH updates for things like the Facebook App are 5x slower than on iOS, BB, or Android.

There is also no global notification cache like iOS5, BB, or Android so if you miss a Toast Notification from an App that isn't pinned to your Start Screen (which gets annoyingly TALL when you pin a ton of apps to it), you may never know it actually came. There's absolutely no indication you got one after it's gone (gone at 8 seconds or so). If the app doesn't have a Live Tile, then it doesn't matter if it was pinned at all. Email Notifications are your friend on WP7. Apps also don't intelligently use the LED Notification light, even if your phone has one.

After some further investigation, I found out that none of Microsoft's Official WLM clients properly support MPOP, while most third party clients do. The big issue, is that Mango is one of those Official clients that do not.

Tested: Trillian and BeejiveIM on Android (paid Versions). BeejiveWLM on Android. WLM for WM6.5 and iOS (latest Versions). WP7.5 Mango Message Hub. Trillian Free version on iOS. Using an iTouch, HD7, and Samsung Vibrant none of them Jailbroken, Modded, etc.

BTW, Never had that IM issue with a Blackberry before (I have used WLM and BeejiveIM on Curve3G and Bold 9780).

If it doesn't matter to you, then it doesn't. Just throwing it out there so people who do try the platform don't wonder where their incoming IMs are going and why people are telling them "I got yours and replied... Why do you keep asking me if I'm here?!?!"
    Last edited by N8ter; 10-06-11 at 03:56 PM.
    10-06-11 03:51 PM
    Wow I just watched that video. That looks really frustrating. Glad I don't have that issue.
    10-06-11 04:00 PM
    If I ever left BB, which seems unlikely, it would be for a droid.
    10-06-11 04:08 PM
    Never. I think the WP will not be around in a few years.

Nokia makes some QWERTY phones that are amazing- e6 etc. But that's not enough. If RIM went out of business I'd have to go with iPhone. It doesn't have a keyboard but droid is crap and Microsoft in and of itself is over in my opinion. They have failed to innovate. Windows 8 looks like garbage. It's sad to see but they did it to themselves. Steve Ballmer is not a good leader. The only thing that will survice is xbox. Even that may be ruined by MS.
    ADGrant likes this.
    10-06-11 04:10 PM
    Got a Samsung Focus w/WP7 as a 2nd phone. The BlackBerry is my main phone, but if BB went away or I had to use another OS, I would get WP7 well before Android or iOS.
    10-06-11 04:58 PM
    I don't see myself giving up blackberry anytime soon. Nope, sorry. I don't want to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-11 06:46 PM
    I'm not jumping ship. I'm going to own a BB until RIM is no longer incorporated
    10-06-11 07:02 PM
    WP7 would be the first OS I turned to if BB was no longer an option.
    10-06-11 07:15 PM
    I personally can't stand the UI of Windows phones, such as the tiles. For that reason I more than likely will stick with my Android or if anything I would jump to an iPhone if RIM ceased to exsist. That or I may just rock a pager again! :-P

10-06-11 07:46 PM
    My work phone is a Windows Phone. The Mango update really improved the overall experience. Like another commenter said, Windows Phone is really just getting started. It just doesn't have the quality apps like ios or Android. But it is a very stable platform.
    10-06-11 11:07 PM
    I personally can't stand the UI of Windows phones, such as the tiles. For that reason I more than likely will stick with my Android or if anything I would jump to an iPhone if RIM ceased to exsist. That or I may just rock a pager again! :-P

The tiles are actually superior to Widgets on Android because they conserve space. Live Tiles and Double Sided tiles are pretty great, TBH. There's just no comparison. The WP7 start screen is superior to the iOS and Android Home Screens. The biggest issue I have is the Notification System, outside of other issues I've already illustrated. It basically has only half of a Notification system right now.
    10-06-11 11:53 PM
    If blackberry will be no more and if WP7 would have a qwerty keyboard then maybe I'll consider it

10-07-11 12:21 AM
    nope like my blackberry.
    10-07-11 12:30 AM
    guys...

has anyo e of you seen the nokia N9 (the only meego OS released and the last one)..

Nokia forums unanimously call elop (their CEO) a trojan horse (he was an ex. excutive of MS)..

nokia is ditching all their OS' (meego and symbian) to move to WP which is sad..

check out the only phone released on meego and tell me if it reminds you of a device well known to BB community...
    its a wonderful phone i believe..i checked it out at the shop but didnt get to play with it but the look of it is so sleek...
    if the next QNX phone can look anything like it, i will be all over it but i doubt it and i believe i may go for this nokia although the OS will be obsolete (however, there are rumors that is the phone sells well enough they may release newer models on it)...
    personally, i think it blows Android/IOS away with its capability...one hint to remind BB users...bezel swipe...i advise you to check it out at the store as i will do it too..

the other rumor regarding meego that it will be able to run android apps on it in the not os distant future so thats a winner for me immediately...

check it out.. (ah..forgot to say...check out this baby's multi tasking capability..one guy in one demo i saw had 19 apps open)..it comes with maps pre installed for your area (nokia maps are some of the best really...comes with nice apps preinstalled like crazy bird..and others..)...nokia is also known for its great camera capability..

it is getting alot of interest outside of NA...

Nokia N9 hands-on: First look - GSMArena.com

there is something about this phone which made me fell in love with it immediately...i never was impressed with iphones or droids...but this one got my attention immediately..the review cosists of 4 pages but i put it on the page where the video is..
    10-07-11 12:38 AM
    ^^ Oh Lord...
    10-07-11 09:39 AM
    Nokia N9 is a fantastic piece of device (from what I've seen in videos and etc.) since a couple of months ago. OS is great, aesthetics too, and it runs smooth even when it's not running on bleeding edge technology. That's software done right. It's downfall would be a lack of developer interest in the platform though, which is a pity.
    10-07-11 10:13 AM
    Nope. Not interested in Mango. It's missing key features.
    10-08-11 03:58 AM
    I will definitely jump ship to Windows Phone platform if RIM were to screw up Palm-style in the future. I already write C# code and work mostly with .NET framework (WPF, WF, WCF, ASP.NET, etc) in Visual Studio as my daytime job so yeah Windows Phone will be the way to go for me if RIM were to fold.
    10-08-11 04:34 PM
    As the title suggests, the question I have for everyone is if you would jump ship to Windows Phone 7.5 Mango. Windows Phone is a cool OS and it does seem to have a huge potential in the market with the newer devices like the HTC TITAN and Radar. Also, what OS do you think is the option you would go for if you ever were to give up on Blackberry?

No way Jose.
    10-08-11 05:12 PM
    Windows 10 couldn't make me switch. I like BBM.
    10-09-11 04:24 AM
    guys...

has anyo e of you seen the nokia N9 (the only meego OS released and the last one)..

Nokia forums unanimously call elop (their CEO) a trojan horse (he was an ex. excutive of MS)..

nokia is ditching all their OS' (meego and symbian) to move to WP which is sad..

check out the only phone released on meego and tell me if it reminds you of a device well known to BB community...
    its a wonderful phone i believe..i checked it out at the shop but didnt get to play with it but the look of it is so sleek...
    if the next QNX phone can look anything like it, i will be all over it but i doubt it and i believe i may go for this nokia although the OS will be obsolete (however, there are rumors that is the phone sells well enough they may release newer models on it)...
    personally, i think it blows Android/IOS away with its capability...one hint to remind BB users...bezel swipe...i advise you to check it out at the store as i will do it too..

the other rumor regarding meego that it will be able to run android apps on it in the not os distant future so thats a winner for me immediately...

check it out.. (ah..forgot to say...check out this baby's multi tasking capability..one guy in one demo i saw had 19 apps open)..it comes with maps pre installed for your area (nokia maps are some of the best really...comes with nice apps preinstalled like crazy bird..and others..)...nokia is also known for its great camera capability..

it is getting alot of interest outside of NA...

Nokia N9 hands-on: First look - GSMArena.com

there is something about this phone which made me fell in love with it immediately...i never was impressed with iphones or droids...but this one got my attention immediately..the review cosists of 4 pages but i put it on the page where the video is..

Any blackberry can have 19 apps open in the background, and they will be open not paused.

In typical Nokia fashion it takes forever to do anything, look how many tap you have to do to send an sms.
    10-09-11 04:37 AM
    Not going to WP7.5 and don't anticipate WP8. I came from the Android world, and I suppose I'd go back if I couldn't get BB anymore ...

As the title suggests, the question I have for everyone is if you would jump ship to Windows Phone 7.5 Mango. [...] Also, what OS do you think is the option you would go for if you ever were to give up on Blackberry?
    10-09-11 04:40 AM
    In answer to your question, yes, WP7 is really the only OS that I'm considering besides BB. Whether you like Apple or not you have to admit they have seamless hardware & software integration and great hardware, but I don't want one for some reason. Android is good for people that love to continually tinker with their phones, but the weak battery life, too big screens (IMO) to carry, OS issues (random rebooting, malware etc) make me not too interested in Android-even though they have powerful phones. But WP7 at least has potential. I'm gong to wait & see what Samsung, HTC, and Nokia come out with over the next 4 months and compare that to RIM's yet-to-be-seen QNX phone and then make my decision.

I hope RIM is up to the challenge.

10-09-11 03:03 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD