As the title suggests, the question I have for everyone is if you would jump ship to Windows Phone 7.5 Mango. Windows Phone is a cool OS and it does seem to have a huge potential in the market with the newer devices like the HTC TITAN and Radar. Also, what OS do you think is the option you would go for if you ever were to give up on Blackberry?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-11 03:42 AM
    Windows Phone is the first OS I will consider switching to if I give up the BlackBerry. I am not ready to switch to any of the current Windows Phone devices but I am sure there are a few coming along withing the next few months that might be able to give the 9900 some competition for my use.
    10-01-11 03:50 AM
    Not with it having only virtual keyboard devices (far as I know).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-01-11 03:57 AM
    Windows Phone would be the one I'd go for if I was going to leave BlackBerry. However, for as long as the phones they offer have virtual keyboards - then no. I also am not looking for a massive phone which rules out the Dell Venue Pro! Someone I doubt they will ever have something which is the size of the Bold. And BBM is a massive thing for me, so I think I will always stick with RIM as they make the best keyboards and offer the best phones for communication which is what I solely use the phone for! And the apps I do use are available on the BlackBerry anyway.

10-01-11 04:47 AM
    I can't see windows being around in a few years. From the look of things I think that Android will be #1 and Apple #2 with RIM in third. Window devices haven't really sold enough to keep the product going. If it wasn't for Microsoft's money it would be long gone.
    Google has created a great platform and it has done nothing but gain market share from day one.

10-01-11 07:29 AM
    I took a look at Windows Phone before committing to my new Bold 9900, the Mango update seems to have received a pretty poor reception in the UK, certainly doesn't seem to have been the big update that Microsoft were talking about, phone wise I don't think I'd switch to Microsoft, it would be Google/Android, Tablet wise though Windows 8 already looks like it could be promising, I'd love a tablet that I could use some of my home applications on!
    10-01-11 10:03 AM
    A Windows phone would be the only OS that I would leave a BlackBerry for. I am a big Windows fan and would never buy anything from Apple. I see Android as a leaky and insecure platform.

My phone needs are fairly modest and I might even consider giving up smartphones completely because of the prices that the networks charge for their, quite frankly, very poor services for lots of monthly money.
    10-01-11 10:15 AM
    As others have said, WP7 is the only platform I'd consider jumping too (while the iPhone is an awesome piece of engineering I don't want Apple controlling how I put media on the device w/iTunes, and Android just seems to unorganized, too much malware, etc. Plus Android just keep going to ever bigger screens, I don't want a 4.5 battery sucking hog in my pocket. With Mango finally out I'm waiting for new phones to launch built specifically for it. I especially want to see what Nokia launches, probably in Q1 2012. Also, Samsung &
    HTC have announed their licensing deals w/Microsoft and both plan to release new WP7 (or should we say WP7.5 now?) Devices.

As soon as there is a Windows phone that can honestly be said to rival the iPhone and Samsung GalaxySII I'm going to check it out and consider retiring my Torch 9800 for it. Don't count Microsoft out, they are often late to the game but they have staying power, unlike RIM they are heavily incentivizing developers to create apps, I think they're going to surpass RIM and give Android a run for their money.

10-01-11 10:36 AM
    I find Windows Mango very enticing and if I were to switch devices I would seriously consider a Windows phone but their lack of a keyboard is a big turnoff right now. I think, their UI is very elegant in its simplicity and blows away the sterility of iOS. Windows seems to have developed a way to present pertinent information immediately that other OS(es) aren't able to provide.

I look forward to the future of Windows devices, but as of right now, I enjoy a phone that is unparalleled as a communication device and don't need much else to distract me.
    anon(522296) likes this.
    10-01-11 12:43 PM
    As a note, the virtual keyboard on Windows Phone is actually extremely accurate. It's not like the inaccurate keyboard on Android (the default keyboard) or like the unexpected substitutions iOS sometimes makes. It is really good..
    anon(522296) and Itzdatdude like this.
    10-01-11 12:44 PM
    No, my choices would be, in this order: iOS, Android, Tizen OS then Windows Phone.
    10-01-11 12:51 PM
    Windows 8 interests me because it is a complete ecosystem - phone, tablet and pc. I'll give it a serious look when it arrives next year, but 7.5 doesn't interest me at all.
    10-01-11 12:52 PM
    i gave up on Microshaft when they started planning lifecycles and obsolescence forcing people to upgrade whenever they feel it is necessary. heck the last *good* decent Windows was XP. Vista/7 reminded me of ME again. UAC pop-ups and forced reboots for updates (even with it set to OFF) drove me batty. i use Linux on my one desktop and the only time i use Windows at all is for the one/two apps that don't yet run in Linux, both of them games.

and Android always reminded me of Windows with its stability issues and frequent crashing (2.2 crashes a lot on my Archos too if i use memory-intensive apps but i am unsure if the device just is low spec or not but it is frequent) so why would i want the full-blown Windows Mobile on my phone giving me headaches? that's one thing about RIM--no viruses yet
    10-01-11 02:18 PM
    the reason why am using blackberry is because of bbm all my friends are there but i were to change windows phone 7 is the OS i would go
    10-01-11 04:19 PM
    As others have said, WP7 is the only platform I'd consider jumping too (while the iPhone is an awesome piece of engineering I don't want Apple controlling how I put media on the device w/iTunes, and Android just seems to unorganized, too much malware, etc. Plus Android just keep going to ever bigger screens, I don't want a 4.5 battery sucking hog in my pocket. With Mango finally out I'm waiting for new phones to launch built specifically for it. I especially want to see what Nokia launches, probably in Q1 2012. Also, Samsung &
    HTC have announed their licensing deals w/Microsoft and both plan to release new WP7 (or should we say WP7.5 now?) Devices.

As soon as there is a Windows phone that can honestly be said to rival the iPhone and Samsung GalaxySII I'm going to check it out and consider retiring my Torch 9800 for it. Don't count Microsoft out, they are often late to the game but they have staying power, unlike RIM they are heavily incentivizing developers to create apps, I think they're going to surpass RIM and give Android a run for their money.

there is to match the galaxy s 2 how about the same phone with mango with it ?
    yes the samsung focus S for at&T coming out in october ( mere weeks away ) and to match iPhone the same focus S or nokia sabre 3.7 inch curved display with AMOLED ( curved display in next gen iPhone also ) with a 12mp camera, or nokia sea ray 4" phonw with other goodies
    10-01-11 04:21 PM
    I can't see windows being around in a few years. From the look of things I think that Android will be #1 and Apple #2 with RIM in third. Window devices haven't really sold enough to keep the product going. If it wasn't for Microsoft's money it would be long gone.
    Google has created a great platform and it has done nothing but gain market share from day one.

Hmm windows phones are actually doing well. And they've really just been launched, they already account for 30% of HTCs sales. Seems pretty wrong there

10-01-11 04:23 PM
    If I would ever jump ship from a Blackberry I would go with the Mango.
    10-01-11 06:34 PM
    I'll never buy another Windows based product again. Ever.
    ADGrant likes this.
    10-01-11 09:09 PM
    NEVA! BB for life!
    10-06-11 05:35 AM
    A Windows phone would be the only OS that I would leave a BlackBerry for. I am a big Windows fan and would never buy anything from Apple. I see Android as a leaky and insecure platform.
    I see Windows as a leaky insecure platform. I have adopted a fairly strict no Microsoft policy for my personal technology purchases (only exception is office for the Mac). I agree that Android is a bit windows like. Also I regard ATT Visual VM support as an essential feature of any smartphone I buy. That leaves me with two choices, RIM or Apple. Therefore, if I leave RIM I will be buying an iPhone.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-06-11 01:19 PM
    No, certainly not. But Windows 8 on a tablet is something I might consider. WP7 is like looking at a pretty hot guy in a bar. You might want to take him for a spin, but you'll never consider a long term involvement.
    10-06-11 02:05 PM
    i gave up on Microshaft when they started planning lifecycles and obsolescence forcing people to upgrade whenever they feel it is necessary. heck the last *good* decent Windows was XP. Vista/7 reminded me of ME again. UAC pop-ups and forced reboots for updates (even with it set to OFF) drove me batty. i use Linux on my one desktop and the only time i use Windows at all is for the one/two apps that don't yet run in Linux, both of them games.

and Android always reminded me of Windows with its stability issues and frequent crashing (2.2 crashes a lot on my Archos too if i use memory-intensive apps but i am unsure if the device just is low spec or not but it is frequent) so why would i want the full-blown Windows Mobile on my phone giving me headaches? that's one thing about RIM--no viruses yet
    Linux is complete trash for desktop use if you want to be productive. Most of your credibility went out the window there.

And you lost the rest trying to compared Windows Vista and 7 to Me - probably cause you never used Me to any great extent like some of us did. They are nothing alike.

Windows XP wasn't much better than Vista. It was a trainwreck up until SP2, which was so big it mind as well should have been a different release itself, especially given how long Microsoft kept it around.

UAC is no different than the su popups on a Linux desktop. Oh wait, you use Ubuntutosh? Maybe...

Check yourself.

Windows 7 is stable. Windows Vista was stable if you didn't have a terrible PC to run it on (not your 5 year old Windows XP hand-me-down), especially after the first SP. Microsoft has barely had to issue critical security patches for Windows 7, and the service packs are unmentionable because there is literally no really important things for them to address in them. You're so wrong on that.

I don't even want to start talking about issues with Linux. Let's just not go there...

While I may not agree with a lot of people here, one thing that I do respect are the general community's ability to have actually intelligent fact-based conversations. What is happening here, with these new accounts popping up troll and flamebaiting with stuff that is so far from the truth is laughable?
    Last edited by N8ter; 10-06-11 at 02:45 PM.
    10-06-11 02:39 PM
    To address the actual topic, WP7 is a low-productivity platform right now. It lacks the flexibility of Android and BB, and lacks the apps of iOS (which makes up for its lack of flexibility since it gets 1st priority dev support). However, for people who use their smartphones moderately and don't require a ton of apps it may be perfect for them. The Social Networking, Browsing, Groups (IM/SMS), Email, and Media Experience on it is first class.

The devices coming out soon should be good enough. It runs Mango flawlessly on the old hardware they released first. It should not really require insane specs, though a better GPU for better games would be useful.

The Soft Keyboard on WP7 is better than the iOS keyboard, and certainly bettr than Android. I can touch type about 40-50WPM on it at about 90% accuracy (with the phone correctly correcting about 7% of the inaccuracies).

The phones use a hardware scalar so it looks good even on lower resolution screens, adn performs well on lower specs. That's also why it doesn't lag on hardware that would choke Android.

iOS is Good, but Apple dropped the ball not introducing a 4" screen on their phone.

I was 200% sure I'd get an iPhone, until I found out they were keeping the 3.5" screen. I have an iTouch. A screen that size is not usable to me as a daily driver/smartphone device. It's bearable on a PMP because I don't have to look at it or interact with it all that much :P
    10-06-11 02:51 PM
    WP7 is like looking at a pretty hot guy in a bar. You might want to take him for a spin, but you'll never consider a long term involvement.
    So for long term your looking for fugly? Is that what RIM is?

Never judge books by their cover. That hot guy might open his mouth and be intelligent and caring..or he could be a complete moron. One never knows til they jump in
    10-06-11 03:02 PM
    I seriously considered waiting for one of Nokia's upcoming Window's phones before purchasing my 9900. I'm happy with my choice but I think the WP operating system looks really neat, and next year will be the big decision comparing Window's Phone handsets to the new BBX phones.

Windows Phone is the only other OS I would consider over Blackberry.
    10-06-11 03:29 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD