What frequency (is that the right term?) is virgin canada on? Since bell now owns them, can I assume that bell and virgin are the same HSPA? I've got a curvet 9360 that was unlocked, pretty sure my friend used it with telus. I'm on cdma virgin but want to switch over to hspa and get a sim, I called into customer care today and they said that's no problem to do, it'll just cost 5 dollars for a sim. I'm just not sure if this phone will work with virgin canada and the guy wasn't able to tell me if it would work, on the phone today.

Also, this is virgin pay as you go. I'm going to assume that if I get a sim that I can just keep my same talk/text monthly plan (assuming the phone works), right? I just want to use the phone for ONLY calls and text messaging, I like the qwerty keyboard. So I don't HAVE to have a blackberry/data plan, do I? I asked the same questikon to the customer care person today and he said it would work but again, he didn't seem very knowledgeable.
    Last edited by ShaneN.; 09-30-12 at 12:39 AM.
    09-30-12 12:33 AM
    Looks like Virgin Canada is on the same HSPA+ frequency as Bell (and Telus and Rogers.) So once you get the Telus 9360 unlocked, you should be good to go.

You won't need a BIS plan for just calling and texting, unless VC has a policy of forcing data plans on smartphone users (like AT&T does here in the US.)
    09-30-12 01:31 AM
    Thanks for the reply, sounds like it should work out.

how do they "force" a plan on you? I guess they can tell it's a smartphone when you give them your mei number? will i even need to give it to them to make my phone work if i buy a sim? i know with a cdma phone i had to call in and give it to them but i think that's just because they have to manually switch the phone for me, correct?
    Last edited by ShaneN.; 09-30-12 at 07:32 AM.
    09-30-12 05:51 AM
    Thanks for the reply, sounds like it should work out.

how do they "force" a plan on you? I guess they can tell it's a smartphone when you give them your mei number? will i even need to give it to them to make my phone work if i buy a sim? i know with a cdma phone i had to call in and give it to them but i think that's just because they have to manually switch the phone for me, correct?
    Yes the phone will work as long as it is unlocked from the Telus network. No, Virgin doesn't force a plan on you, especially on prepaid. Heck even on a contract line with Bell I had my old 8330 activated voice only for a bit.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    09-30-12 10:11 AM
    Yes Virgin, Bell, Telus are all on same HSPA/HSPA+ frequency.

To confirm it's a Telus BB, turn it on. At the end of bootup cycle, there should be a Telus logo splashscreen that flashes. Also with BB on, press ALT+SHIFT+H to open Help Me screen. If Vendor ID is 332, that's Telus.

For unlcoking, a lot of us recommend:
    www.HorizonWirelessOnline.com
    They are a member of the CB community, and Canadian.

While nobody will force a data plan on you, I can't say for certain that Virgin has same plans available for HSPA as they do for CDMA. On Telus, they don't. Telus makes you update plans to switch.
    However, being pay-as-you-go maybe you won't have an issue.
    09-30-12 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD