my 2 cents...

I just got my 8900 and have not switched to a BB Plan yet. I still just have my regular old media net plan (unlimited).

What works on my BB w/o BIS or BES...

-Browser
    -Facebook App
    -GMail App
    -Google Maps App
    -Pandora App
    -Slacker App

I haven't done anything to my BB. So from doing this, I've learned that all the BB plans are good for is the BB App Store, and push email. I will still probably get a plan tho.

Just a heads up for the people that are always asking on here about "what works w/o a bb plan????".
    08-16-09 01:44 AM
    Hi, thanks alot, i also dont have a data plan and i am very confused about what apps i can use. i cant seem to get most of the apps said to be free and can be used without a data plan listed at the start of this thread cus when i click on the link something random comes up or it syas it cant be found im sooo confusssed!!
    is there a website anywhere that just tells you how to do evrything!? i wish the instructions manual told you how to do things, im absolutley lost!!
    08-18-09 01:23 PM
    i cant seem to get most of the apps said to be free and can be used without a data plan listed at the start of this thread cus when i click on the link something random comes up or it syas it cant be found im sooo confusssed!!
    Which apps are you having difficulty with ???

is there a website anywhere that just tells you how to do evrything!?
    If I ever get the time, I would like to create a step-by-step guide, but untill then, you'll have to search around the WiFi subforum for tips and tricks.

i wish the instructions manual told you how to do things,
    Ah, yes, but you do realize that it is not in RIMs interest to publicize the functionality of the blackberry without a data plan The more people that get the data plan, the more revenue the carrier and RIM generate

That being said, it is possible, but don't just expect it to work out of the box. If you are strugging with getting a particular app, check in the WiFi forum, chances are that the question has been asked (and hopefully answered) before.
    08-18-09 02:34 PM
    All of the apps mentioned in this post worked on my BB except for facebook. It says it can't connect because there is no data plan. Any thoughts?
    09-03-09 12:31 AM
    The Facebook app, DOES NOT WORK without a Data Plan over WiFi. Just get Opera, and make Facebook your homepage. Opera will remember your login/password, and best of all, it can actually render the full HTML version of the site, instead of the low-budget mobile versions.
    09-03-09 06:30 AM
    You can call rogers and they'll put in a data block on for you so you don't get charged for using data accidentally too.
    09-03-09 11:14 AM
    You can call rogers and they'll put in a data block on for you so you don't get charged for using data accidentally too.
    This is exactly what I was going to say...

Get a data block and Browse Freely knowing you wont be charged if your Wifi isnt configured properly.

Ps: Get the Blackberry BOLD
    09-04-09 11:33 AM
    Might also add PodTrapper to the list. An excellent podcast player for BlackBerry that can be set to wifi only.

Slingplayer for BlackBerry will also work on a wi-fi only setting, as will MobiScope.
    09-05-09 08:10 PM
    I
    Email Client -Tiggit Mail
    Skype Client -IM+
    I am a total newbie and have bought a Blackberry 9000 Bold. Can I download Tiggit Mail and IM+ using my PC and then install it from my PC to my BB? Perhaps some kind person will tell me how to do this?

--
    Fear Mor.
    09-24-09 06:16 PM
    my 2 cents...

I just got my 8900 and have not switched to a BB Plan yet. I still just have my regular old media net plan (unlimited).

-Browser
    -Facebook App
    -GMail App
    -Google Maps App
    -Pandora App
    -Slacker App

I haven't done anything to my BB. So from doing this, I've learned that all the BB plans are good for is the BB App Store, and push email. I will still probably get a plan tho.

Just a heads up for the people that are always asking on here about "what works w/o a bb plan????".
    snaptu has a facebook app that works, and does not require a data plan.
    10-21-09 11:56 AM
    yea i was wondering why my Bold, which is just my backup now, wasnt connecting to the net over wifi. i was showing connected to my wifi network but not able to access the net. i had to configure my default browser to the hotspot one. took about 2 mins of configuring, now it works over wifi with no SIM card in it. i did notice the wifi symbol remains grayed out, which i thought was odd.
    Can you tell me how exactly did you configure your Bold? I just got my Bold and even though it connects to my wireless router at home, it connects with the white dash and not the green tick. So I am only able to surf the net and use any of the apps that can run on wifi only eg: beejive IM which I downloaded still wont work over my wifi (I dont have a data plan)
    12-04-09 12:48 PM
    my 2 cents...

-Browser
    -Facebook App
    -GMail App
    -Google Maps App
    -Pandora App
    -Slacker App

I have a prepaid T-Mobile SIM card and I may be buying a used Blackberry Curve 8320. I want that one because I want one with:

-3.5 mm audio jack

-mini USB charging port

I am very interested in using the Slacker Radio application. I use Slacker Radio now with both G1 and G2 portable player. Are there any specific tips to pass along for using the Slacker Radio application on a Blackberry Curve 8320 without a data plan? I want to get at least a 4GB micro SD card. Is ther any reason to get a larger micro SD card for Slacker? If I understand it correctly, Slacker will not store any more content on a card larger than 4 GB. Also, I understand that Slacker Radio will cache the content and allow me to listen to it away from a wi-fi hotspot.

Also, sort of off topic, but what are some of the more rugged carrying cases for BlackBerry? I have looked at Otterbox and Nite Ize so far.
    12-05-09 11:57 PM
    my 2 cents...

-Browser
    -Facebook App
    -GMail App
    -Google Maps App
    -Pandora App
    -Slacker App

The Facebook App, Google Maps definitely do not work through Wi-fi only. I don't believe the GMail app does either.

I have two Blackberries. A corporately owned T-Mobile 8320 connected to a BES and a personal AT&T Bold 9700 which is BIS only. If I turn off the cellular radio and just use Wi-Fi both devices still get email pushed to the built-in email client. However, the BIS only BB cannot send mail via BIS.

If I take the SIM card out of the BIS BB, and leave Wi-Fi turned on, email is no longer pushed to the client. Web Browsing still works though.

Personally I don't see much point in a BB without at least a BIS data plan. Just about every other Smartphone I can think of works better with Wi-Fi (except the now obsolete PalmOS phones of course).
    12-07-09 01:30 PM
    I tried downloading those free apps from my phone but when I click on the download, it brings up a roger's page that says I'm trying to access the page without a data plan and gives me an offer for a $2.99 day pass. I am connected to the wireless network at home and can browse the internet, but I can't seem to download. What do I do?
    12-09-09 05:32 PM
    I tried downloading those free apps from my phone but when I click on the download, it brings up a roger's page that says I'm trying to access the page without a data plan and gives me an offer for a $2.99 day pass. I am connected to the wireless network at home and can browse the internet, but I can't seem to download. What do I do?
    Make sure you go to the BB browser and select "Hotspot Browser" instead of WAP browser
    12-11-09 09:06 PM
    The answer is YES. Since you are new to smartphones and do not have a preference, you'll have a much easier time learning on the iPhone since it is (arguably) more intuitive. Owning an iTouch and a BB Curve, I've found that what you're trying to do will just be so much easier on the Apple Phone.

I would recommend the Blackberry to you if you're in the following scenario:

1. Current subscriber of ATT, but don't want to get a data plan. AT&T does not make it easy to use an iPhone on their network without a data plan. (This does not appear to apply to you)
    2. If you don't like touch screen keyboards
    3. If you want to join the cool crackberry crowd and feel that the iPhone doesn't look professional enough

Hope this helps. This was my reason for getting a blackberry. Although everyday the iPhone looks more and more tempting.

I'm starting to share your opinion - here's why:

I bought a nearly new 8900 recently from an eBay Best Buy resale site. This BB had it all over my BB 8310, including WiFi, and I was ready to move up to a more advanced phone.

I used the 8900 for over two weeks without a data plan, no problems whatsoever, been using Pandora, and my WiFi has been working flawlessly. Nice phone, and I was probably going to sign up for the data plan after January.

Four days ago, while I was out of town, suddenly my WiFi couldn't connect with WiFi hotspots. Could the BB spot a local WiFi network? You bet. It would automatically set up on a network I'd previously identified, and say I was good to go. But can I link to any WiFi network (including my one at home)? No - it will initially show the arrow in the upper right-hand corner going back & forth, then stop, then the application will sit there and eventually time out with various error messages such as 'can't find IP address', 'unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later', etc.

I cannot figure this one out, but being a BB newbie, that's not surprising. I figure it's one of two problems:

1) I've accidently tinkered with a setting, and have disabled WiFi
    2) The friendly folks at AT&T have remotely clobbered my ability to use my 8900 for anything more than a Bluetooth-enhanced cellphone until I cough up my $30+ bucks a month for a data service plan.

As if they didn't squeeze enough blood out of me during my 30 year TOD with them...

While I think of it - the week before my BB's WiFi went belly up, I read the instructions on enabling the BIS capability for my BB, and tried to do that on the AT&T site. Didin't work, yeah, that was stupid, but what the hey...

Any thoughts... anyone?
    12-12-09 01:00 PM
    it would work if you have the correct service books

1. get data plan (BIS) until you get the service books and drop the service
    2. try to have the provider to set data plan (BIS) for a moment (some carriers would do it, some wont...it depends mostly on your charm)
    3. and this is what i have been trying to pull for everyone: get someone with a dataplan, do an advanced backup from the device manager and just select 'service books', then restore that to your phone.
    12-26-09 04:33 AM
    It's carrier depedent, since BB wifi is provisioned by carrier. Look at your service book to see the detail.
    12-26-09 12:35 PM
    Alternatively, you can use those $10/$15 plan for b=dumb phones. Service book change maybe needed for some carriers.
    12-26-09 12:37 PM
    Hi I'm a new Blackberry user. I just starting to use the bb curve 8900 T-mobile and got confused with the internet service provider. I can connect to the internet but I cannot use the browser. it says that no internet connection, please contact the service provider. How to access the free public wireless through bb?

Thank you
    01-05-10 12:04 AM
    the only way I can get on the internet is with media net. But I think that's from at&t. The wifi icon goes off and the edge comes on. I have the brouser set to hotspot brouser. Does anyone know if I'm using AT&T or wifi. thank you
    01-05-10 05:15 PM
    What carrier are you guys on?

I want a blackberry without the data plan, but WiFi would be nice!
    01-08-10 08:29 PM
    I turned off my radio and disabled WIFI and BB Maps worked just fine. Perhaps this is because it's suppose to have stand alone GPS.
    01-08-10 09:24 PM
    Any one here got bold with corporate account without dataplan. In that case, can we use phone without worrying about data charges.
    01-12-10 12:10 AM
    Hi, I am from Canada and using Rogers as my wireless service provider. I have already completed my contract term and don't want to lock my self with any contract. Although I don't have business requirement but wana buy a smart phone out of my pocket and utilize WiFi for emails/browsing etc. I have wireless internet at home and lot of WiFi Hotspots around my office area so really don't need a Data Plan. Which Blackberry will be a better bet? Curve 8900 or Bold? Will I miss any significant features if I don't take Data Plan? I have tried to check Rogers Cutomers service as well as store reps but they all give contradictory answers, some say I can and others say I can't. This has confused me a lot. I did google search and found this forum the best place to get advice. So pl come forward to help me so that I can join the Blackberry world. I will be graetful for detailed reply. Thanks
    i didn't read all the posts, but i survived for years off tmo without a data plan.. and when UMI came out,,, wow. now that i had to have the 9700, i had no choice.. but now i can watch tv anywhere with 3g & slingbox.. ask your provider if 3g will still work, that would be my biggest concern!
    01-20-10 09:01 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD