I like my provider but I can't stand the limited choices of BB they have. (I have Sprint.)

Will ANY unlocked phone work with ANY provider? And will a provider refuse to activate an unlocked phone if the provider doesn't carry that particular model?
    05-03-11 08:06 AM
    No.
    CDMA will never work on GSM unless they are world phones. (the Bold 9650, Tour 9630, and both Storms on VZW are World phones/ )

Say You have a GSM phone... A 9700 that is branded with AT&T(Startup screen will show AT&T) It will only work on T-Mobile with 2G unless you can get the AT&T to Release it's code or something if you want internet to work.
    05-03-11 08:08 AM
    I like my provider but I can't stand the limited choices of BB they have. (I have Sprint.)

Will ANY unlocked phone work with ANY provider? And will a provider refuse to activate an unlocked phone if the provider doesn't carry that particular model?
    No. Only Sprint phones will work on Sprint. With GSM phones, there are SIM cards, and you can swap out different carriers' SIM cards, as Death described. But with CDMA carriers, the specific phone is locked to them, and there is no card. You would have to get one carrier to release the phone's codes, in simple terms, and get the other carrier to accept that phone's codes as its own.

Sprint doesn't do that. (Neither does Verizon. AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM carriers.)
    05-03-11 08:18 AM
    No. Only Sprint phones will work on Sprint. With GSM phones, there are SIM cards, and you can swap out different carriers' SIM cards, as Death described. But with CDMA carriers, the specific phone is locked to them, and there is no card. You would have to get one carrier to release the phone's codes, in simple terms, and get the other carrier to accept that phone's codes as its own.

Sprint doesn't do that. (Neither does Verizon. AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM carriers.)
    I see. So if I understand correctly, it will do no good at all to buy an unlocked phone if I have Sprint, right?
    05-03-11 08:28 AM
    I see. So if I understand correctly, it will do no good at all to buy an unlocked phone if I have Sprint, right?
    That is correct. Only a Sprint branded phone will be allowed to be activated on the Sprint network.
    05-03-11 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD