The iPhone has massive satisfactory rates that Android and BB could only wish to accomplish. The real question is how many people that bought a 9900 or Android wish they would have bought the iPhone 4S. I know two of them, so there must be many others.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    On the flip side, I know a few who have ditched their iPhone for a 9900... so there must be many others? Granted they didn't switch from the 4s, but if they were really tech geeks then they would have known it was coming out... and if they really wanted it they would have waited.
    10-12-11 09:46 PM
    Why is it the iPhone users are always so arrogant in their postings? It truely is a cult like following. .....

How long ago has it been since Android passed you in marketshare again?

And don't give me this ish about how the iPhone is only on two carriers. People that truely want an iPhone would switch. I know a few who did and wish they didn't.

Omg I knows peeps too!

How was what he said arrogant?

I agree with him and I don't even use an iPhone. I use a BB myself and have 5 Android phones and tablets at home.
    10-12-11 10:08 PM
    Why is it the iPhone users are always so arrogant in their postings? It truely is a cult like following. .....

How long ago has it been since Android passed you in marketshare again?

And don't give me this ish about how the iPhone is only on two carriers. People that truely want an iPhone would switch. I know a few who did and wish they didn't.

Omg I knows peeps too!

Alright. Once more.
    Android is an OPERATING SYSTEM. Available on many, many dozens of phones manufactured by another dozen OEMs.

iPhone is a model. Currently in its fifth iteration.
    (which moved a million units in its first 24hrs. of availability, it's worth noting. Pretty sure no other phone in history can touch that.)
    pri79269 likes this.
    10-13-11 12:26 AM
    I don't consider Blackberries smart phones. They are PIM/feature phones. iPhones and Android are smartphones. They are not in the same league. Counting the seconds until I get a Samsung Transform Ultra smartphone to replace my Blackberry feature phone.
    K Bear likes this.
    10-13-11 12:58 AM
    I find it interesting that the press is starting to call iOS dated. It's a meme in the making. Often the press is looking for a hook, such as the lack of apps when it comes to the Blackberry. "iOS is dated" will be the hook for upcoming iPhone reviews, unless Apple changes things drastically.

Joshua Topolsky and Andy Inhatko say it straight up. But you can also detect the sentiment in the writings of Walt Mossberg and David Pogue, long time Apple columnists.
    10-13-11 01:00 AM

I don't see where RIM is behind at all, let along "light years" behind.
    You might want to get your eyes checked

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-13-11 01:48 AM
    i tried out the beta iOS 5 on my iphone and ipad... wasn't too impressed... looks like a mash up of iOS and android. Still not as good as android tho...
    K Bear likes this.
    10-13-11 03:08 AM
    I don't see the masses switching back to BB unless their business dictates it, and even that is declining. In my view BB has the advantages of the keyboard (although there are good Android alternatives), great LED support built in, security, and some nice productivity features (speed of getting things done). As far a notifications, push, etc, clearly others have caught up overall and in many cases are superior. All of the other platforms are catching up in most of those areas.

I am so far happy with iOS 5 on my iPad. It works well on my wife's iPhone 4 also. It won't cause me to switch from Android.
    10-13-11 03:20 AM
    I don't think people who get used to I os can really move on to any other os.... just like blackberry users can't really move on.....
    10-13-11 05:21 AM
    I don't think people who get used to I os can really move on to any other os.... just like blackberry users can't really move on.....
    It took me almost a year to get used to Ubuntu since trying it out in '07. I'm now a regular user, linux mint 11 is based off it anyways. If I were to use another platform, it would take another year to get used to and to know it well would take a tad longer. It's not the case with more techsavvy people. Novices will complain to some degree.

10-13-11 05:42 AM
    Maybe Im missing something here, but the "new" features of iOS5 already exist in Blackberry's OS 7 and countless Android phones.

1. Notification Center = already exists on Android and in new BB OS 7

2. iMessage = BBM

3. Twitter integrated into the OS = already exists

4. Accessing camera from lock screen = already exists

5. Tabbed browsing = already exists

6. LED notification alerts = already exists ALSO the light is on the BACK of the phone. So unless u place your phone face down, this wont be very helpful LOL

I mean, c'mon. Iphone users are getting excited about this???
    Last edited by shemaree09; 10-13-11 at 03:39 PM.
    10-13-11 03:36 PM
    I don't think iOS users are unimpressed. The new iOS5 has new features that users are excited about. May not be 'amazing' but it's pretty good. Probably not enough to sway fans over to BB.
    10-13-11 03:49 PM
    Most people using iOS are a different kind of consumer. They want to play music, play games, and interact with their phones. The trick is to find a reason to get a Blackberry.

The only reason I've heard recently was Stefani Germanotta preferring a BB because she needs a physical keyboard to type with her long nails.

BB has been playing up its data compression, but doesn't do a good job at it. I think I saw the BB ad in an in-flight magazine. The ad should have mentioned that with the premium on data plans and global roaming, BB can do more on the same data plan. A lot of marketing teams don't "get" how to sell it to people.

iPhone customers aren't impressed with things like that and wouldn't know about things like that even if they go over their monthly data quota.

RIM needs a more compelling reason for why people should choose their phones. "Security" is not tangible enough a sellpoint.
    10-13-11 03:59 PM
    Maybe Im missing something here, but the "new" features of iOS5 already exist in Blackberry's OS 7 and countless Android phones.

2. iMessage = BBM

6. LED notification alerts = already exists ALSO the light is on the BACK of the phone. So unless u place your phone face down, this wont be very helpful LOL

Does BB OS 7 have things like location based reminders and free push syncing of all PIM data (via iCloud). The big advantages of iMessage over BBM is it is multi-device and more of your friends may have iPhones.
    10-13-11 04:10 PM

2. iMessage = BBM

you are right, those all do exist in a few different OSs....but now all of those exist on 1 OS which was already pretty damn solid. So all those are like sprinkles on a great cake.
    pri79269 likes this.
    10-13-11 04:50 PM
    you are right, those all do exist in a few different OSs....but now all of those exist on 1 OS which was already pretty damn solid. So all those are like sprinkles on a great cake.
    More like old news. The iPhone4S is coming out nearly a year and a half after the iPhone4 and this is all they could come up with? Even though the iPhone4 added mostly gimmicks when it launched such as Facetime or the best resolution on a phone screen (which is the equivalent of most detailed artwork on a postage stamp) it did offer a slimmer device and a significantly stronger battery that comes close to making it through a work day on one charge.

What has the iPhone4S or this new iOS5 offered? Nothing that impressive, which is why I am puzzled why its breaking records for preorders? Are consumers really that naive? Cloud services are not new, BBM has existed for years, and will a dual core phone be a battery drainer?

The BB7 even though I view it as more like OS 6.1, not much improvement to the OS, but the actual phones have improved their web browsing by a lot. The iPhone4 was already an excellent browsing device minus flash capabilities, so there wasn't much to improve in that aspect. The new BB's improved upon what I viewed as the biggest weakness in it being a consumer device, the browser.

The iPhone still has no model with a QWERTY keyboard, its still the same old slab design, and I have to ask when do people get sick of the same design every year?
    10-13-11 05:09 PM
    apple is not about doing things for the first time really, they are about taking things already out there and improving on them 10x better than anyone has ever done before. Watch next year when they release a new iphone.....it will have a keyboard better than a BB. you never know but im sure they have been trying designs for one for years
    10-13-11 05:23 PM
    The iPhone still has no model with a QWERTY keyboard, its still the same old slab design, and I have to ask when do people get sick of the same design every year?
    [sarcasm]But it went from a nice rounded corner device which was nice to hold, to a brick with square edges, glass on front and back and a metal band that can cause bodily harm(I've seen it happen). It certainly has had design changes. [/sarcasm]

Apple is a juggernaut for consumers, and as long as they make it seem like you absolutely need their device(if you don't have an iphone, well then, you don't have an iphone), nothing will change that. Apple always has had their own way of doing things and making it seem like everyone in the world NEEDS what they have. until people stop being sheepish and following the herd(its cool and everyone has one so I must need it too), nothing will change for apple.
    Last edited by homer1475; 10-13-11 at 05:36 PM.
    10-13-11 05:31 PM
    apple is not about doing things for the first time really, they are about taking things already out there and improving on them 10x better than anyone has ever done before. Watch next year when they release a new iphone.....it will have a keyboard better than a BB. you never know but im sure they have been trying designs for one for years
    I don't know if Apple will ever integrate a QWERTY keyboard into the iPhone, unless in some alternate universe people wake up and realize its pretty much the same thing every year, a slab phone, it stops selling and then Apple is forced to make drastic changes.

Anyway the BB Bold keyboards are about as good as it gets, cannot see anyone making a better keyboard on a smartphone, not Apple, not anyone. But people here in America seem obsessed with touch only devices and screens that are about an inch bigger. Whether your smartphone screen is 2.8'' (Bold 99XX), 3.2'' (Torch 9800/10), 3.5'' (iPhone), or 4''+ (some Android phones), watching movies is still tedious and impractical for so many reasons.

So for practical uses the Bold 2.8.'' touch screen is just as good as the biggest Android phone screens and it actually is compact enough to fit in your pocket without looking like you have a hard on and is a joy to type on. I just don't get people?
    10-13-11 09:55 PM
    Apple always has had their own way of doing things and making it seem like everyone in the world NEEDS what they have. until people stop being sheepish and following the herd(its cool and everyone has one so I must need it too), nothing will change for apple.
    But but but, no one was really buying all things Apple before the iPod and the iPhone. Their computers were selling at a fraction of the volume of Windows-based computers. Only universities seemed to have them. So it's not really a cool herd mentality going on, rather they were the first to package a phone with an entire ecosystem that anyone including a toddler and a toothless grandma could easily use. People might criticize a closed ecosystem and ease of use as being only for toddlers and toothless grandmas, but when these toddlers grow up, what do you think they'll buy: a BB or an iPhone?

So in that regard, I'm not sure that Apple is trying to look cool, rather they are trying to look fun--which is not what BBs are known for.
    10-13-11 11:23 PM
    But but but, no one was really buying all things Apple before the iPod and the iPhone. Their computers were selling at a fraction of the volume of Windows-based computers. Only universities seemed to have them. So it's not really a cool herd mentality going on, rather they were the first to package a phone with an entire ecosystem that anyone including a toddler and a toothless grandma could easily use.
    Exactly. If Apple can control so many people through "marketing," why don't they sell more computers or Apple TV units? Why aren't they leading Android in market share?
    10-13-11 11:28 PM
    I can't see the logic in asking how iOS 5 would drive them back to BB, when they left BB for iOS 4.x. It's just a stupid question.

iOS 5 addressed many of the major grievances in iOS 4 in addition to basically giving every iOS users a free MobileMe account that pushes email to their devices as fast as a BB pushes the BB BIS email account in addition to Calendar/Contacts/Notes, Syncs Photos, iMessages, Facetime over 3G, News Stand, Game Center changes, Reminders, Camera App changes, Integrated Twitter Functionality, Mail App refresh, Safari Changes (Reader Mode, Security beef-ups), etc.

I guess maybe I'm misunderstanding something...

Either the OP had a brain aneurism when posting, or maybe QNX blackberries were released with an OS that's better than iOS 4 because that's what most defections defected to. Kinda hard to think they're pissed cause Apple gave them something better than what they had, which they thought was better than what they defected from.

Yea, I'm rambling... cause I'm stomped. Help me out here...
    10-14-11 01:31 AM
    Does BB OS 7 have things like location based reminders and free push syncing of all PIM data (via iCloud). The big advantages of iMessage over BBM is it is multi-device and more of your friends may have iPhones.
    Or iPads, or iPod Touches...

It works all the way back to iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, and the first iPad.

So yea, a lot more of your friends may have iMessages than BBM. It shows Delivered or Read, too...
    10-14-11 01:38 AM
    Exactly. If Apple can control so many people through "marketing," why don't they sell more computers or Apple TV units? Why aren't they leading Android in market share?
    First I don't think anyone has been able to pull away the cable companies hold on tv services, not Apple, Google, or anyone. So thats less of Apple TV not catching on and more of the corporate protectionism for networks and cable channels. I would luv to ditch most of my channels on cable, but if you try streaming live tv, sports, etc. some ripoff service is out there costing you as much as cable anyway. I really wish I could only order a cheap cable plan with like 10-15 channels I watch all the time and pay a lot less.

Apple TV has some good ideas as does Google TV, but the content I want isn't on it and isn't as convenient... yet!

As for leading in market share vs. Android they already are depending on how you look at it. Has any single company that sells Android phones sold more than Apple? You know Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc.? Nope. Only Nokia and RIM have sold more smartphones as individual companies and they mostly sold lower end less subsidized less profitable phones.

Has any single model phone sold more than the iPhone4? Nope, best selling model phone ever. So depending on how you quantify it, one can say Apple is ahead of Android. But obviously more Android based phones sell if you combine every manufacturer. But if if you change the debate to better selling OS in mobile devices rather than individual phones, then Apple wins in that iPod Touches, iPhones, and iPads have sold more than all devices with Android OS's.

But I guess how it is generally viewed is by OS? Then Android OS's are in more smartphones than any other out there right now. But its not like there isn't a huge marketing push for Android phones. I have seen everything from battling robots, to people justifying one as a gift to themselves in commericals.

As for RIM, their marketing is nowhere near as good as Apple or the countless manufacturers and carriers pushing Android phones.

Americans are easily swayed by marketing where I think in other countries its more about practicality. Also contracts and costs are different in other countries. Example, data plans in some countries don't let you sign up for set data plans, they make you pay by what you actually use. Blackberries have a huge edge there since they compress data much better than say an iPhone. Also some countries make you sign up for a 3 year contract, which realistically will not make people care about getting the latest tech all the time when it takes so long to upgrade. Many American carriers offer you an upgrade after 20 months if you stick with them.

But I really think most iPhone users are a different type of customer than a Blackberry customer. Most iPhone customers are probably nearly computer illiterate but Apple has made an intuitive device that they can easily use and actually believe only they can sync iTunes to the phones, when believe it or not Blackberry Desktop Manager is better than iTunes in that you sync files from your computer from iTunes but also most other files too that will fit into your phone. Less restrictions.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-14-11 01:47 AM
    Or iPads, or iPod Touches...

It works all the way back to iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, and the first iPad.

So yea, a lot more of your friends may have iMessages than BBM. It shows Delivered or Read, too...
    I don't have any friends who carry around or use an iPad or iPod to communicate. iPods are dying too. I have no idea why anyone would buy one. But I'm not complaining cause any of my friends that have iOS 5 I can now text for free.

I could see iPhone users like myself getting bored with iOS and deciding to switch, which I probably will do, but I'm still a year away from the end of my contract. Don't mind the free upgrade in operating system though, since its like getting a new phone. The novelty of it will probably wear off in a month though.

You seem quite offended by the thought of people maybe not sticking with iPhone since iOS 5 might not appeal them. Its okay if people don't stick with iPhone. Everyone doesn't need the same phone. No reason to get upset at the OPs suggestion.
    Last edited by AZ87; 10-14-11 at 03:24 AM.
    10-14-11 03:22 AM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD